Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

Talk To Me About The Gremmy

19 comments in this topic

Members
856 posts
6,186 battles

Well.. I've gone and done it. I was missing only the Belfast and Gremmy and just had to have them. So, I bought more containers and got them. I know. I have a gambling problem. My priorities are misplaced in life. I'm a wallet warrior. So, you can save the effort. I know! 

I don't know much about the Gremmy. I never see them in game. What is/was so special about this ship that they pulled it from sale? 

[DIEBL]
Members
640 posts
8,416 battles

Believe it was OWSF mechanics before those went away.  Now, it’s mostly just a good general purpose DD that can work in either role.

Been awhile sinxe I took mine out, so might be missing something in more recent metas.

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles

originally, there was stealth firing in the game... in the Gremmy's case it could fire 14k but only be detected at like 10k, it had a 4k window of shooting mercilessly and not be detected. It is still a good ship but it was yanked back before these changed happened. Turret traverse is brutal. 

Members
856 posts
6,186 battles
Just now, Abides said:

originally, there was stealth firing in the game... in the Gremmy's case it could fire 14k but only be detected at like 10k, it had a 4k window of shooting mercilessly and not be detected. It is still a good ship but it was yanked back before these changed happened. Turret traverse is brutal. 

Yes. I noticed the traverse. So, I put Alex Ovechkin in there with the EM bonus. It does appear to have some pretty nasty guns for a T5 dd. 

[GGWP]
Members
7,086 posts
16,375 battles

It's still strong, but not blatantly op anymore. Also the torp range and reload is pretty good. They aren't kamikaze torps, but they are pretty decent

[PVE]
Members
19,980 posts
12,672 battles
2 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Yes. I noticed the traverse. So, I put Alex Ovechkin in there with the EM bonus. It does appear to have some pretty nasty guns for a T5 dd. 

8km torps too IIRC.

Edited by Kizarvexis
Stupid autocorrect
  • Boring 2

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
2 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

It's still strong, but not blatantly op anymore. Also the torp range and reload is pretty good. They aren't kamikaze torps, but they are pretty decent

Agreed.  Can be countered by any competent player nowadays, whereas before it could kill you without even seeing it.

EM and AFT are very good skills to have, if you can afford the points.

[DUMPY]
[DUMPY]
Members
329 posts
8,446 battles

It's a Tier 6 version of the Tier 7 Leningrad, down at Tier 5.  :cap_like: 

Not quite as fast, a few less hit points.  Decent stealth, guns & torps - kind of a preview of the Tier 10 Grozovoi.

It's fun, but I find myself going for the Kamikaze at Tier 5 over the Gremmy, which is a whole lot more fun, IMO.

Edited by digitaljustice

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,687 posts
19,824 battles

Gremyaschy was first released in a beta buy-in package, and was considered the mediocre offering between two other, more interesting and potent ships, Yubari and Sims. However, various destroyer nerfs later - that Gremyashchy escaped by virtue of being a premium ship - made her incredibly strong. Her power has been reigned in a bit since then with the removal of open water stealth firing, but she still remains a very potent ship.

Let us compare her to her own tech tree sister, Gnevny, itself a mediocre ship:

Gnevny:

• has 1000 more hitpoints
  • Has a much faster turret traverse time
  • Is one knot faster

Gremy:

• Has twice the torpedo range (8km vs 4km)
  • Has a 60m tighter turning circle
  • Has a much shorter rudder shift
  • Has marginally better AA

So what we have is a ship that compares very favorably to the Gnevny with more clumsy gun handling on equally potent guns and twice the torpedo range (going from hail mary yolo torps to actually usable ones). Now this wouldn't be such a bad thing, comparing favorable to its sistership Gnevny, except that Gremyashchy is a T5 and Gnevny a T6.

So, yeah, you're basically driving an arguably better Gnevny a tier lower.

• Cool 1

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

Gremmy is a Gnevny at tier 5, but was better than the tier VI version somehow.

She's a above average ship stock, but to make her absolutely broken like people claimed her to be, you need a very experienced commander, since she works best when you have both the concealment expert and AFT, along with a few other skills that you want to take, like BFT, Torpedo reload expert, Expert Marksmen, Adrenaline rush, last stand, etc.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

Members
856 posts
6,186 battles
Just now, digitaljustice said:

It's a Tier 6 version of the Tier 7 Leningrad, down at Tier 5.  :cap_like:  Not quite as fast, a few less hit points.

It's fun, but I find myself going for the Kamikaze at Tier 5 over the Gremmy, which is a whole lot more fun, IMO.

The Kami is just plain broken.

I'm 11 - 1 in mine so far.  The thing is a torpedo machine gun and RIP to enemy BBs. Bottom tier? No problem! 

[OO7]
Members
1,421 posts
8,759 battles

Honestly, they could sell it again. It's not the monster it once was, though it is still an excellent destroyer.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,066 posts
22,585 battles
49 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Well.. I've gone and done it. I was missing only the Belfast and Gremmy and just had to have them. So, I bought more containers and got them. I know. I have a gambling problem. My priorities are misplaced in life. I'm a wallet warrior. So, you can save the effort. I know! 

I don't know much about the Gremmy. I never see them in game. What is/was so special about this ship that they pulled it from sale? 

All of the above apply to me. I'm about to buy another set of 5 Large crates. Last week I finally got my Gremy after years of trying. As others have said above, she is basically a slightly better than T6 Gnevny DD at T5. She is fun to play because not many see her that often and her capabilities aren't well known.

Have fun with both. Payfast is a serious blast to play!

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles
41 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I'm 11 - 1 in mine so far.  The thing is a torpedo machine gun and RIP to enemy BBs. Bottom tier? No problem! 

Troof.  That concealment, torpedo reload, and no radar at its tier make that thing a beast.  Any time one gets spotted the enemy team's like KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT.

Edited by Eugenie_101

[ARGSY]
Members
21,577 posts
15,643 battles
56 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

That concealment, torpedo reload, and no radar at its tier make that thing a beast. 

A T5 DD can still see Atlanta, Belfast and Indianapolis when she is bottom-tier in a 3-tier game (some games are 5/6 only), but at mid or high it's a different matter.

[SALVO]
Members
25,435 posts
27,377 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

No, I don't think that the KamiFujin is really all that broken.  When it was released, the KamiFujin was actually worse (though barely) than a fully upgraded Minekaze.  Of course, after WG nerfed the Minekaze into the ground, that had the secondary effect of making the KamiFujin seem a lot more potent, when all the KamiFujin really is, is just a reminder of what the Minekaze used to be.

Another thing to remember is that while the Kami is good, a HUGE reason why it can be so productive is that as a tier 5 DD, it's feasting on newbies who often don't understand how to dodge torps.  But if you end up in a tier 7 battle, while the Kami can do very well when bottom tier, you're also often facing more experienced players who do understand how to dodge torps, making life just a little harder for your poor KamiFujin drivers.

PS. I will say that I actually enjoy being bottom tier in my Kamikaze for the simple reason that maps are bigger in tier 7 battles, giving my Kami more room to work, whereas in tier 5 battles, one is often stuck on some rather small maps that don't give you much room to use your concealment to the best effect.

Edited by Crucis

Alpha Tester
6,513 posts
3,304 battles
3 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Back in the days of stealth firing, the Gremlin was a beast of a DD. She had a massive gun range, decent concealment, good firepower, and she was at a tier where the ships she was facing and the players at the helm of said ships were bad enough that she was practically the ideal seal-clubber. She's still a good DD, but she used to be so disgustingly overpowered that no one plays her anymore because they remember what she was like and don't want to spoil the nostalgia.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts
9,645 battles
4 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

What is/was so special about this ship that they pulled it from sale? 

People will tell you it was OP because of OWSF. That is probably true. But truthfully, it was and still is broken even without that mechanic. Gremmy's extremely nimble, has hard-hitting guns, and longest torpedo range for the tier. Torpedo speed and concealement aren't that great, but they're good enough. The only thing truly holding the ship back is the glacial turret traverse (which makes Ovechkin perfect for this ship).

In short, Gremmy is a ship that is either great or at least average in every possible DD role. It can engage pretty much any ship class, even cruisers will have a hard time hitting you back as you wiggle and pummel them from ~13km.

But yeah, as people mentioned above, you need at least a 16 point commander to unlock her true potential (EM+LS at 2, and CE+AFT at 4). At 19 throw another tier 3 skill of your choice in addition to BFT that you should have gotten at 6 points (I'd choose SE if you have Ovechkin, if not DE/SI/TAE are also viable), and you're all set!

Sign in to follow this