You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

The Best Tier X Cruiser for After CV Rework

35 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
269 posts
1,116 battles

Hi Guys:

I am 1,000 battles in and have settled into T7 Destroyer and Light Cruiser play.  I am not a good player by any stretch but I contribute to team play and enjoy playing.  I have a daily rotation of 7 each tier 7 ships:

Akatsuki - Sims - Helena - Leningrad - Z-39 - Fiji - Jervis  (Feel free to check my stats, they are not pretty but I do not hide them.  Just be sure to look at stats per ship not in aggregate.)

I prefer the maneuverability of Destroyers but I am thinking I want to work toward a Tier 10 ship.  I am afraid destroyer play at Tier 10 would just be too much for me with Radar and highly skilled play.  I think Cruisers would be the best bet, but which one?  I have to really focus on only one line. (One Tech Tree Line)

What do you guys suggest?  If you could only have only one Tier 10 Cruiser after the rework for an average player, which would be best?

I look forward to seeing your opinions.

Thanks.

Edited by SJ_Sailer
(One Tech Tree Line - Not Prem)

[OO7]
[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,988 posts
3,577 battles

I'm not sure. Des Moines, Minotaur, and Wooster are good for Randoms if CVs are present, but they are out of favor in competitive because they're too soft, they're range is too short, shell flight times too long, and accuracy too poor at long ranges to be regular choices at the moment. Map design is too wide open right now for their playstyle to be reliable in too many situations.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,023 posts
10,703 battles

It's hard to say at present. We don't know how AA is going to work out, at the moment it's pretty ineffectual so you might as well not bother. I'd go with whatever you think you'll most enjoy.

WG playing with the range bands of various 'flak' AA guns may have a pretty profound impact for instance.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,597 posts
10,056 battles

Souds like you are working towards the Des Moines.. If you know the play, that's where you are headed. If you have enough coal stashed away, then the Salem might be the choice, as you get into the Baltimore/Buffalo.

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
413 posts
2,516 battles

DM with legendary module is the only safe bet.  It's still good in randoms and comp.  If AA works it will be a beast, if it doesn't then legendary module is your best hope to juke repeated CV drops as a cruiser.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,860 posts
7,915 battles

Right now we are all guessing about how the CV rework will change the meta. What we do know is that currently a lot of the traditionally strong AA ships have inferior AA because of changes to AA mechanics. There are also people arguing that there is going to be a lot more spotting because of there could be 3 CVs on each team.

So it really depends on your play style and what you are looking for. Here are a couple of cruisers and how I observed they changed on PTS:

• The Henry for example had strong AA on the last test and does not really care about being spotted. So the rework probably wont hurt it much. Plus its already pretty strong.
  • The DM is a ship I love and its been a feature of high level CB this season for a number of reasons. Its AA suffered on the PTS because of the short range AA which is not effective at downing planes and it will be harder to stay dark when you dont want to be spotted.
  • The Moskva seemed about the same as it always has been.

So ships that specialized in concealment and AA could see some big changes but the long range fire spamming ships wont really change. I think its more important to go with what you want to play than grind a line based on a guess of a potential change.

Members
118 posts
6,399 battles

The big question with the CV rework is whether it actually brings more people in, and if it keeps them here. IE Warplanes released a major update a year ago intended to bring new people in. It brought people in for a short while, but then the numbers dropped back off again. Basic point - Don't put all your attention into AA. It's going to be a few patches until AA is balanced, and CV numbers stabilise.

Honestly, I'd suggest you download the Public Test client when it goes live tomorrow. It's mostly bots playing, but at the very least you can buy the T10 CA/CLs and try them out. See which one you like the most. As an added bonus, you can get some signals for your main account.

[5BS]
Members
5,026 posts

Minotaur; puts up a ton of mid range flak clouds and has smoke to make its precise location hard to dial in and thus, harder to avoid for planes.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
269 posts
1,116 battles
13 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

I think its more important to go with what you want to play than grind a line based on a guess of a potential change.

Well something that is not too challenging to play well.  Something with a more straightforward strategy that is easier to master than say Destroyers.  Something where you can contribute to team wins without having to be the best player on the team.  Did any of that make sense?

Oh, and not get easily assaulted by planes.

Edited by SJ_Sailer

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,860 posts
7,915 battles
8 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Minotaur; puts up a ton of mid range flak clouds and has smoke to make its precise location hard to dial in and thus, harder to avoid for planes.

Planes get RPF now, so a CV could potentially drop on the smoke knowing a general location.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,359 posts
38 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Hi Guys:

I am 1,000 battles in and have settled into T7 Destroyer and Light Cruiser play.  I am not a good player by any stretch but I contribute to team play and enjoy playing.  I have a daily rotation of 7 each tier 7 ships:

Akatsuki - Sims - Helena - Leningrad - Z-39 - Fiji - Jervis  (Feel free to check my stats, they are not pretty but I do not hide them.  Just be sure to look at stats per ship not in aggregate.)

I prefer the maneuverability of Destroyers but I am thinking I want to work toward a Tier 10 ship.  I am afraid destroyer play at Tier 10 would just be too much for me with Radar and highly skilled play.  I think Cruisers would be the best bet, but which one?  I have to really focus on only one line. (One Tech Tree Line)

What do you guys suggest?  If you could only have only one Tier 10 Cruiser after the rework for an average player, which would be best?

Thanks.

There is no point in even being concerned about it until after the players beta test an entirely new meta.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,701 posts
10,076 battles

I will let you know in 3 months.

Members
1,107 posts

Best plan is to wait. I'm playing full-AA-spec DM in PT and round 1 was a bust. We'll see how round 2 goes.

Glad I also have me trusty old Hindy in my port. If AA still seems a waste and I must take cancer damage, at least Hindy can absorb it.

If you have the time and hard drive space, I highly recommend participation in PT. You can buy the T10 cruisers in the Arsenal for funny money and try them out yourself.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
269 posts
1,116 battles
7 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Best plan is to wait. I'm playing full-AA-spec DM in PT and round 1 was a bust. We'll see how round 2 goes.

Glad I also have me trusty old Hindy in my port. If AA still seems a waste and I must take cancer damage, at least Hindy can absorb it.

If you have the time and hard drive space, I highly recommend participation in PT. You can buy the T10 cruisers in the Arsenal for funny money and try them out yourself.

I signed up yesterday but can't log in.  Does it go live next week?

Members
1,107 posts
1 minute ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Friday morning 11:30 EST, IIRC from the news blurb.

[SBS]
Members
2,844 posts
2,385 battles
Just now, SJ_Sailer said:
6 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

I think its more important to go with what you want to play than grind a line based on a guess of a potential change.

Well something that is not too challenging to play well.  Something with a more straightforward strategy that is easier to master than say Destroyers.  Something where you can contribute to team wins without having to be the best player on the team.  Did any of that make sense?

Oh, and not get easily assaulted by planes.

You got some really solid advice form 1nv.  Play what you like playing.  Don't be too worried about being the best player as long as you are trying your best (I mean actually trying, if you're a I don't really care type, then high tiers probably aren't for you).

I'll say this, and don't be scared off of by it.  High tier DDs and many of the cruisers are most unforgiving ships in the game.  Don't be in a hurry to get to the high tiers.   

Just now, SJ_Sailer said:

Friday is when the next round starts.  Oh, someone suggested trying the T10 ships on the PTS.  I agree, but don't be fooled into believe its easy to do well in a DM or Wooster, remember you're playing against bots.

Members
1,107 posts
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

remember you're playing against bots.

Well, mostly. The CV's are all human, or at least they were in Round 1.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,988 posts
3,577 battles
29 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Well, mostly. The CV's are all human, or at least they were in Round 1.

Not in CoOp on the PTS. There are no CVs controlled by the AI.

In Randoms you're correct though.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
2,031 posts
8,865 battles

I have all the tier X cruisers and I vote Hindenburg

• Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
10,359 posts
14 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

They really need AI CVs in PTS COOP. to test out various AA setups.

They don't want to have to write an actual AI for the new CV game play. Since the whole thing may implode....:Smile_trollface:

[HECA]
Members
197 posts
3,646 battles

I have the shark perma camo for the Worchester just sitting there; so... that's what I've been kinda working on. And I don't even like playing that line, cause I suck at that playstyle and them slow arcing shells.

But if you have any free perma camo for something... that would be my recommendation of unlocking first.

[NUWES]
Members
1,720 posts
5,924 battles
3 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Hi Guys:

Thanks.

There are two important factors in your question - 1. AA after the rework, and 2.) for the average player.

Unfortunately we don't know how the rework will shake out right now because they are due to buff AA and it isn't clear how captain skills and modules will alter AA performance in the live game. Given what we know about the old AA setup, I would recommend Hindy simply because she is probably the easiest T10 cruiser to manage for the average player an it has competent AA. It is good all-around and one of the most straightforward to play. We don't know how the rework will impact Hindy's AA, but I doubt it will change much relative to where it is now because her AA is fairly balanced through the three zones (short, medium, long). It is above average-to-good now and I suspect it will remain so afterwards. 

I have all the T10 tech-tree cruisers save Moskva. Hindy isn't my personal favorite cruiser because I don't like cruisers with bad detection, but I recommend it to friends as the most manageable T10 cruiser and its solid AA is a bonus. I always run DM with an AA spec and I will continue to do so after the rework. It renders me largely immune to CVs. They rarely will even come near me and I like that peace of mind, but I fully recognize that DM is a difficult ship for the average player. The same is true with Mino and Worcester. Zao is a comfortable T10 cruiser for the average  player, but its AA scares no one and I doubt it will get much better after the rework.

I'm not sure about Henri after the rework. Its AA very focused in the heavier guns (long and medium) and under the rework those guns don't do auto damage. Under the old AA model modules and skills directly and significantly boosted her AA damage across the board. The new versions don't do that. Until the final version is out and testing is done we won't know how easily it can be done, but damage from medium and long-ranged AA is mitigateable to a degree by good piloting. This means that the effective damage from the heavier AA guns is dependent on player skills to some degree so live-game mileage out of them will vary a lot. Some of the old AA skills and modules that improved heavy and medium AA damage now make more flak puffs now and we don't know what effect that really has. Also, planes now have damage tracks so taking them out depends on racking up damage which does not appear to happen in the long and medium auras if the planes avoid the flak clouds. Henri isn't the easiest cruiser for the average player to start with and I suspect that the rework will have unexpected effects on her AA, moreso than most other cruisers. I would avoid her at least in the beginning. 

I can't speak on Moskva at all. I'm still climbing the Soviet tree. 

Edited by Tzarevitch
  • Cool 1