You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
URD1

A question on damage mechanics

5 comments in this topic

[-SD-]
Beta Testers
14 posts
5,098 battles

How does damage work with torpedoes. I was playing in the North Carolina in Coop. I was sunk by a bot Scharnhorst who hit me with 2 torpedoes that did 46,664 damage. I assume this is a devastating strike but there is no indication. Since the torpedo has a max damage of 13700 and the stock NC has a reduction of 19%, this means that the torpedoes average over 2x their normal damage. This seems like overkill. When does a Devastating Strike occur? Is it RNG based? I have enclosed a screenshot of the damage screen. shot-19_01.09_22_20.57-0023.thumb.jpg.54f3ce6428db29b5aa31a049cd33b359.jpg

[-AA-]
Members
1,754 posts
6,667 battles

Did you get detonated? 

Devasting Strike: "Destroy an enemy ship with a single artillery salvo, torpedo salvo, or aircraft by causing damage over 50% of the destroyed ship's normal HP. Can be obtained multiple times per battle." There are no achievements in Coop though. That is why you didn't see the devastating strike message.
http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Achievements

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,786 posts
13,647 battles

Most likely it was a detonation, which has a % chance of occurring any time a large blast (including torpedoes) goes off close to an onboard magazine. For a battleship, this typically means you took a torpedo under the forward turrets.

You would not see the "Detonation" message in chat, because those actually indicate that the Detonation achievement is being awarded, and you cannot receive achievements in co-op. However, if you review the replay, you will see the detonation symbol (a jagged explosion sign) as the method of death for your ship in the kill area, rather than the normal torpedo or flooding symbol.

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,777 posts
6,830 battles

Bots don't get achievements. This sounds like a detonation.