You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Help, I suck at the Baltimore..

17 comments in this topic

Members
362 posts
1,442 battles

I want to like this ship I just cannot have any luck with it. Most of the time I'm uptiered to tier 9-10 games which is ok,  I just find myself having to play ultra defensive as the 1 hit tier X doom ships easily nail this large and easy to rek tub, sulking around islands trying to radar any foolish DD's that come close (rare in high tier games) is about its best survival tactic. I try and use islands for cover and reign fire upon enemy ships but most of the time the AP bounce (even off soft targets) and the HE does little damage.

Other cruisers like Pensacola and New Orleans I usually do ok in, bagging a few kills and a good net of hits. My last game is a prime example of how awful my luck is, even playing aggressively I did little damage and only seem to be a minor nuisance to enemy BB's. This things lack of torpedos also makes it hard, the similar tier Japanese cruisers seem to be a much more feared presence in the game. All I seem to be good for is providing AA cover for my teams BB's for the rare CV encounter, and keeping DD's away which is rather boring and low reward. It's a team game but there are no team support medals.

What has me confused though is I engaged a distracted North Carolina at 10k with HE, I hit him about 30 times with minimal damage and no fires... Next game I take my North Carolina out and a Hindenberg attacks me from cover, every single HE shells turns my boat into a fireball. Spend 90% of the game on fire... :( My last game I barely broke even despite doing my best and that was with booster flags, also finished dead last in the team.

shot-19.01.10_16.02.20-0879.jpg

• Cool 2

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,115 battles

You only have two turrets.  Use islands judiciously.  Learn what guns overmatch you in each map and avoid those the most.  Pick a flank cap to support, going mid will get you murdered by crossfire eventually.  Use island cover to radar caps, only move in to shoot DDs yourself when 100% certain it's safe to do so. Never be the first to open fire/be spotted so you are not focused.  Go dark whenever possible that you could take BB fire.  Use engine mod instead of rudder.  Don't be afraid to open water rather than getting rushed down by a torp ship, but don't do it if you don't have to.

[SCCC]
[SCCC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
96 posts
4,567 battles

Find a good island that you know will give you shots to the side of where reds usually push. Use your AP shells frequently, they are the same super heavy AP that des memes uses, same penetration and angles. Aim for the superstructures with your AP, you can usually land 3-5k salvos easily on most of anything, T10 bbs included. Angle slightly to take shells at extreme angles on your side. Use your [edited]to angle for a quick escape if you dont have faith in the side you are on.

[-K-]
Members
5,881 posts
10,014 battles

Positioning is key to be effective at American cruisers:

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,018 posts
2,843 battles

I really despised it at first..  Then went through a ranked season grinding it and realized I could bow tank against same tier BBs pretty effectively.. Absolutely wrecks same tier cruisers doing this.    Especially if I could find an island to shield my sides..    Problem Baltimore has,  is it can't do that against higher tier BBs and it see's t10 a lot..  It is a beast in some situations, its hard sometimes finding matches you can use it in.   

[ICOP]
Members
996 posts
3,663 battles

Baltimore AP is nasty, even at angles you do not think are possible, learned this using her in Cherry Blossom, ran the entire scenario with AP only, did over twice the damage more than with HE or HE/AP switching.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,737 posts
14,186 battles

everyone has their way to play it, things I try to do is treat her as a zone of denial ship... get close to islands... I mean close. Only use your front guns... if you can get a shot off with all three batteries... you are open enough to be deleted. Use its great AA to create an air bubble, it's radar to keep dds honest. And oh yeah....hug islands so close you could have a picnic on them...many times I just go back and forth around an island like a crescent moon...it's a team ship, not a damage farmer.

Good luck

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Positioning is key to be effective at American cruisers:

OP, note that this vid was made when the Baltimore still had a heal. You are more fragile now.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,018 posts
2,843 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OP, note that this vid was made when the Baltimore still had a heal. You are more fragile now.

And Tier 9 as well....  Loved that ship!    

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

I actually liked the Cleveland better than the Balit, however, my WR in the Balti was ~11% higher. As mentioned above, positioning is the key. You need to know where the enemy bbs are, because they all like to fire at you. Sometimes you have to island camp, some times you have to kite. Make sure to support your dds. Also, the guns are great, AP hits like a truck and the HE is great too.

[187]
Members
265 posts
13,417 battles

YOU Can Bow tank at a slight angle with Balty. She can take hits well doing this 10 k and under. Ive done it many times. It all depends on knowing the enemy ships around you at all times. Don't try to score high all the time. There are many ways to help your team without High HP score.

[-K-]
Members
5,881 posts
10,014 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Good point.  I haven't played it since it was downtiered to T8, but I can't imagine it plays much different than it used to.

Members
362 posts
1,442 battles

I've spent a good few games trying to like this boat, my conclusion, its a turd. My last game a single shell which hit my ultra angled correctly boat wiped 28k off its health. For a heavy cruiser it cannot bounce a thing and it catches fire with every hit... I try hiding and playing a support roll but the rewards are ultra low, even with a win this ship makes little $. The Cleveland, while having next to no armour comes across as more survivable that this boat, other than radar I cannot name a single thing I like about it. :(

5 losses straight in it today with a 33% WR, MM just doesn't want mew using it.  Even when I carry the team:(

shot-19.01.15_11.21.45-0764.jpg

[WOLF9]
Members
7,949 posts
3,407 battles
On 1/10/2019 at 12:28 AM, FlakKnight said:

You only have two turrets. 

Baltimore is 3x3.  Do you mean "don't try to use the rear turret"?  I've seen worse advice.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,115 battles
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Baltimore is 3x3.  Do you mean "don't try to use the rear turret"?  I've seen worse advice.

I think you're misidentifying the pusher gun as a weapon.

[WOLFC]
Members
777 posts
1,914 battles

I sold baltimore and will go back to it later. Im running a 83% w/l ratio on the chappy i just got, and im running a 50% on baltimore. That just shows me i need to give it a break. Will return to it later.