You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VVoony

AP shell in a nutshell right now.

63 comments in this topic

[CAPGO]
Members
659 posts
4,151 battles

1255554965_APProblemGIF.gif.c52faa29cb57a420ad9b357bbf319551.gif

5 Pens for 3k damage. 

I know how the mechanics work. I know I know. AP shell penetrated torpedo bulge(thus pen ribbon) and failed to penetrate the actual side belt armor of the New Mexico. I know why it's happening, but I'm gonna say that it shouldn't be happening.

being struck by five 350mm AP shells at such close distance should inflict severe damage. Instead, In the game, the AP shell magically disappears just because it failed to penetrate all the way into the ship.

In that game, I had 30 shells in contact with enemy ship for 30k damage.. that is basically 1k damage for each hits. Is it just this game? it is just the PEF? NO.

It's happening with many battleships. The AP has either too MUCH penetration or too little, It's kinda stupid.

AP shell has too many problems right now, it's too inconsistent doing any good damage to flat broadside enemies. When battleship AP shell fails to punish flat broadside enemy cruisers, I'd say the game is broken.

Edited by VVoony
  • Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
10,332 posts

You fired mainly into the belt which is the thickest armor, should have aimed higher. It penned the torp belt most likely but not any further.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 4

[CAPGO]
Members
659 posts
4,151 battles
5 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

You fired mainly into the belt which is the thickest armor, should have aimed higher. It penned the torp belt most likely but not any further.

I know, I wrote that I am already aware of why it failed to do damage in the original post... please read people!

I am suggesting that we should really consider reworking the AP shell mechanic including overpens and stuff, the AP shell at current state is pretty garbage.

Edited by VVoony
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,041 posts
7,365 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

14hvnw.jpg

Yeah, AP salvos results can be annoying sometimes, amazing other times. It's the nature of the beast.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,998 posts
10,482 battles
4 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Not even going to discuss this but there should be no zero damage penetrations and instead should be bounces/shatters.

• Cool 3

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,008 posts
4,381 battles
7 minutes ago, VVoony said:

I know, I wrote that I already know why it failed to do damage in the original post already... please read people!

I suggesting that we should really consider reworking the AP shell mechanic, the AP shell at current state is pretty garbage.

no you should learn where to shoot.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 5
  • Angry 1

[CAPGO]
Members
659 posts
4,151 battles
17 minutes ago, vak_ said:

14hvnw.jpg

Yeah, AP salvos results can be annoying sometimes, amazing other times. It's the nature of the beast.

Please read my post, I already know why it failed to do significant damage, but I am saying this shouldn't be happening at 9km. At such distance, you can probably yell them to surrender and the crews on the enemy ship would be able to hear it. 350mm AP shells should do more than that at such distance.

Edited by VVoony

[HINON]
Members
10,332 posts
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Not even going to discuss this but there should be no zero damage penetrations and instead should be bounces/shatters.

It wasnt that obvious until WG decided to try to provide more info with the detailed shell ribbons but its a catch 22 as you get players seeing a pen but not realizing that it didnt do damage because it penned a module or penned something like the torp belt but didnt detonate inside the ship itself. They may have to discover a more elegant solution to rework the detailed shells ribbons. Otherwise AP works great but you need to know where to aim with each ships shells, at what angle against certain targets etc etc.

• Funny 1

[CAPGO]
Members
659 posts
4,151 battles
6 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

no you should learn where to shoot.

HUH? geez, give me a break. where would you have aimed at then?

That was actually shot at the upperbelt. WAIT, there is no upperbelt on New Mexico, are there?

if you shoot at the bow, or stern at such distance, it would have been overpen. what an irony.

so where do you shoot? superstructures?? yea I guess the game is totally working as intended when you have to shoot at the superstructure on flatbroadside enemey battleship at 9km distance with AP shells loaded.

Edited by VVoony

Members
178 posts
13,472 battles

My favorites are the 0dmg pens on DDs (rare but have happened to me); I always think “wait....what possible module on a DD could BB AP penetrate and NOT completely demolish? I should at least incapacitate something!”

[WOLF4]
Members
1,322 posts
2,856 battles
12 minutes ago, VVoony said:

That was actually shot at the upperbelt. WAIT, there is no upperbelt on New Mexico, are there?

if you shoot at the bow, or stern at such distance, it would have been overpen. what an irony.

so where do you shoot? superstructures?? yea I guess the game is totally working as intended when you have to shoot at the superstructure on flatbroadside enemey battleship at 9km distance with AP shells loaded.

That's what i'm seeing too.

Now i'm starting to get why i see more and more BB's flinging HE.

[HINON]
Members
10,332 posts
19 minutes ago, VVoony said:

PEF guns are small with low pen meant to mess over cruisers. If you really want to blap BBs with strong armor like the New Mexico at T6, hit them with guns like those on the Warspite, QE, or Bayern at that range. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,828 posts
2,524 battles

I can one up this. Just had 7 penetrations with my Montana, 0 damage. This isn't the dinky PEF low penetration shells either, this is the USN Superheavy 16" AP. This is seriously messed up right now. Not sure where I hit, but IMO if it shows penetration, it should do damage. If it didn't then show the shatter. But there is no way in hell my Montana should be doing no damage on a penetration.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,008 posts
4,381 battles
21 minutes ago, VVoony said:

so where do you shoot? superstructures?? yea I guess the game is totally working as intended when you have to shoot at the superstructure on flatbroadside enemey at 9km distance with AP shells loaded.

im going to try and explain this one. just once...no more.

starting with this

25 minutes ago, VVoony said:

Please read my post, I already know why it failed to do significant damage, but I am saying this shouldn't be happening at 9km. At such distance, you can probably yell them to surrender and the crews on the enemy ship can hear it. 350mm AP shells should do more than that at such distance.

the PEF doesnt have good pen... its bad. at 9km it had 390mm of pen.

the New Mexico you shot in the torpedo belt has the following armor thicknesses (nominally)

25mm torpedo belt, 343mm armor belt= 368mm of effective armor, nominally. about a 15* angle on the ship, impact of shells at range is 8*. which puts the armor at about 390mm maybe a couple MM more.

the armor is working as expected. had you been in another t6 BB besides that one, you probably wouldve gotten some solid damage.

as to where to shoot....literally anywhere where theres no torp belt wouldve yielded more damage.the area below the smokes has a chance to arm the shells if they strike the deck below.

image.thumb.png.4f1235b3709939468ec2408c6193cd1e.png

shoot the area in the blue circle for the best chance of getting a full pen to stick. you might end up with over pens, but its better than aiming on the belt, and then wondering why it failed to pen.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,008 posts
4,381 battles
6 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

shows penetration, it should do damage

its how the game feeds the information back to you. you did pen. you penned the torpedo belt, or a spaced armor plate. afterwards it bounced off the main belt or shattered, doing no harm to the ship.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,078 battles

There is something broe

45 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

While I agree with this....there is a disproportionate amount of shells finding their way into that belt area lately.

My aim is the same. The results are not.

Edited by LubzinNJ

Members
38 posts
4,106 battles
36 minutes ago, dbs1701 said:

My favorites are the 0dmg pens on DDs (rare but have happened to me); I always think “wait....what possible module on a DD could BB AP penetrate and NOT completely demolish? I should at least incapacitate something!”

Yeah this one has gotten me a couple times lately. I never could figure out what I was hitting on a full health DD that was pennable, but neither took damage or broke. 

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,078 battles
Just now, Darlith said:

Yeah this one has gotten me a couple times lately. I never could figure out what I was hitting on a full health DD that was pennable, but neither took damage or broke. 

The cook

[-TD-]
[-TD-]
Members
594 posts
8 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

image.thumb.png.02cd524e62ace0242955c1985755cca7.png

AP is good...

Nice salvo right there

Edited by Schnitchelkid01_

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,008 posts
4,381 battles
5 minutes ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

Nice salvo right there

this was his response 

unknown.png

[-TD-]
[-TD-]
Members
594 posts
4 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

this was his response 

unknown.png

You get those moments when you’re like “I knew I shouldn’t have turned”. Then blat most of your health is gone.

Edited by Schnitchelkid01_

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,794 posts
3,974 battles
28 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

im going to try and explain this one. just once...no more.

starting with this

the PEF doesnt have good pen... its bad. at 9km it had 390mm of pen.

the New Mexico you shot in the torpedo belt has the following armor thicknesses (nominally)

25mm torpedo belt, 343mm armor belt= 368mm of effective armor, nominally. about a 15* angle on the ship, impact of shells at range is 8*. which puts the armor at about 390mm maybe a couple MM more.

the armor is working as expected. had you been in another t6 BB besides that one, you probably wouldve gotten some solid damage.

as to where to shoot....literally anywhere where theres no torp belt wouldve yielded more damage.the area below the smokes has a chance to arm the shells if they strike the deck below.

image.thumb.png.4f1235b3709939468ec2408c6193cd1e.png

shoot the area in the blue circle for the best chance of getting a full pen to stick. you might end up with over pens, but its better than aiming on the belt, and then wondering why it failed to pen.

@VVoony

Image result for this is why you fail

• Funny 1

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,008 posts
4,381 battles
Just now, Cobraclutch said:

i mean his options arent good, but id rather have a chance than just blowing it into the belt, let alone to an area if the ship with less meat on it for hits.