You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RevTKS

Forgotten Issue about CV's and the Rework

41 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
656 posts
12,878 battles

CV's had been an endangered species. They had largely disappeared from the live server. I could play more than half my battles without a CV and sometimes closer to 4 out 5 battles. 

This meant that for some time now, CV's have been nothing more than an occasional irritant. Many of us have enjoyed the lack of CV's. I personally have relished it. It also shows that CV's aren't needed for any real reason in this game. 

However, CV's are back with a vengeance. The fact that players are grinding CV's prior to the rework has brought them flooding back in their admittedly 'less than perfect' state. So we have to deal with the 'old' CV's for two weeks, and then we get to deal with the 'new' CV balancing test on the live server after that.

For me, it's already having a negative experience on my game. I don't like CV's as they currently play and I am hoping that the new rework will make them tolerable.   

Honestly I think testing them on the live server will take longer than expected and the game play will not improve to a level that will make people like me happy.

Some issues coming up:

• New players aren't going to have any idea what's really going on
  • Many regular players who don't keep up with all the 'latest' news are going to be surprised when the rework hits
  • Game play is going to be changing drastically on the live server with each adjustment
  • Some people have already decided to take a few weeks or months off
  • Some of us are happy without CV's and are going to resist the rework on any level

Sounds like fun right? 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[NUWES]
Members
2,013 posts
6,490 battles
5 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

CV's had been an endangered species. They had largely disappeared from the live server. I could play more than half my battles without a CV and sometimes closer to 4 out 5 battles. 

This meant that for some time now, CV's have been nothing more than an occasional irritant. Many of us have enjoyed the lack of CV's. I personally have relished it. It also shows that CV's aren't needed for any real reason in this game. 

However, CV's are back with a vengeance. The fact that players are grinding CV's prior to the rework has brought them flooding back in their admittedly 'less than perfect' state. So we have to deal with the 'old' CV's for two weeks, and then we get to deal with the 'new' CV balancing test on the live server after that.

For me, it's already having a negative experience on my game. I don't like CV's as they currently play and I am hoping that the new rework will make them tolerable.   

Honestly I think testing them on the live server will take longer than expected and the game play will not improve to a level that will make people like me happy.

Some issues coming up:

• Many regular players who don't keep up with all the 'latest' news are going to be surprised when the rework hits
  • Game play is going to be changing drastically on the live server with each adjustment
  • Some of us are happy without CV's and are going to resist the rework on any level

Sounds like fun right? 

No ship is needed for any real reason in the game. Personally I'm looking forward to the rework. I didn't like playing the carriers are they are now but I would have preferred to see more of them and I think the rework will bring that about quite well.

I actually enjoy the rework  quite a bit, but it does need some more balancing. What I really want to see is the AA get adjusted. It isn't effective enough right now given that CVs have unlimited reloads, particularly on T10,  but that is simple enough to adjust. They already said they were going to do it, now I am just waiting for it to take effect before I go back on the public test server. I also think that the planes turn around a bit too fast, but that is also something that can be adjusted. 

I also don't think the rework live patch is a close as they are implying. They have to do the rework on the premium CVs as well and there has been no hint of that yet. 

• Cool 3

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts

That's been a least a sidebar in most of the threads, really.

Players who don't like playing against CVs still won't like playing against CVs, and may dislike it even more due to the wrecked AA if nothing else. 

Players who don't mind playing against the old CVs are more likely to hate playing under the new system, for the wrecked AA if nothing else.

Players who like the old interface are very likely to hate the new interface.

WG is taking a huge gamble that there will be a lot of players who didn't like the old interface, will like the new interface, and won't be driven off by the effects on gameplay in non-CV ships.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[RLGN]
Members
9,610 posts
19,077 battles

Just as a comment; within my general play range, (lower-upper mids,) I have never noticed a scarcity of carriers; low tiers especially are, more often than not; four carrier games.

The only conclusion I can reach because of that is an absence of carriers at higher tiers is where comments such ‘I rarely see carriers so I don’t spec for AA,’ come from.

Apparently Tier 10 carriers might as well be Mephistopheles himself...

...potential future AA adjustments aside, I don’t think much is going to change at Tier 10 other than the mechanics.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
656 posts
12,878 battles
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

That's been a least a sidebar in most of the threads, really.

Players who don't like playing against CVs still won't like playing against CVs, and may dislike it even more due to the wrecked AA if nothing else. 

Players who don't mind playing against the old CVs are more likely to hate playing under the new system, for the wrecked AA if nothing else.

Players who like the old interface are very likely to hate the new interface.

WG is taking a huge gamble that there will be a lot of players who didn't like the old interface, will like the new interface, and won't be driven off by the effects on gameplay in non-CV ships.

Well what's been lost is that they've largely been gone for some time now. 

[EQRN]
Members
717 posts
10,234 battles

Sorry, what was forgotten?

Anyhoo, ships got spotted/bombed/torp’d before, ships will get spotted/bombed/torp’d after.  Rockets are new, but hardly earth shattering.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts

Also... it's amazing how many players I come across in game chat don't even know carriers are going to change, or about the AA changes, or any of it.

When 0.8.0 goes live, WG could have the Hurricane Harvey of crapstorms on their hands.

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
995 posts
29,321 battles

Here is the problem.  Before the rework you really didn't see to many CV's, at least from T8 and up, and when you did see them it was more likely then not a blow out (not every time, but it was more often then not) because 1 CV was a 55%+ player and the other was a 40% player.  Now after the RW we will see a lot more CV's and those players that were 45% players will be just a little bit better and will do more crap to kill a good shooting game and the 55% will still be doing crap at there present level.  So get ready for CV's to be infesting this game at a higher level then before, at least thats what I think will happen.

What should happen is CV should be removed from the game......ok wishful thinking, but the game would have been a lot better if CV's had never been introduced in to it.

A possible solution would be to make the CV more of a scouting and not a damaging unit in the game.  Let a player earn a crap load of credits for spotting, have the CV's fight for the sky's with fighters.

Having a ship in the game that can damage with impunity just doesn't fit.   Just look at the make up of the game, ships using guns to hit and damage each other, now look at historically what killed those ships.....CV'S!!!!!  WG has to make the same choice that nations did in the 1930's and 40's, you ether build CV's or BB's, you ether have a game where ships shoot at each other or run around dodging bombs and torps from CV's, and it looks like WG has chosen CV's to become the rulers of the map, just like they did in WWII.

CV's should just have there own game, they do not fit in the game as is, and I think (I hope I am wrong) the RW will just make them more of a cancer.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,485 posts
15,773 battles
1 hour ago, RevTKS said:

Some of us are happy without CV's and are going to resist the rework on any level

The only questionable thing in this statement is the word "some".

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
18,940 posts
19,182 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Also... it's amazing how many players I come across in game chat don't even know carriers are going to change, or about the AA changes, or any of it.

When 0.8.0 goes live, WG could have the Hurricane Harvey of crapstorms on their hands.

Killjoy, makes me wonder if it might be a good idea for all of us regular forumites to start telling people in battles that a HUGE change is coming to carriers in the next update.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Killjoy, makes me wonder if it might be a good idea for all of us regular forumites to start telling people in battles that a HUGE change is coming to carriers in the next update.

I have been.

Even trying to be neutral about what I say.

[SBS]
Members
3,466 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

Even trying to be neutral about what I say.

How's been going. :Smile-_tongue::Smile_Default:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts
2 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

How's been going. :Smile-_tongue::Smile_Default:

Which part, the telling or the neutral? 

Depends on whether you consider "the interface is completely changing" and "AA is getting worse" to be neutral.

[SBS]
Members
3,466 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

Which part, the telling or the neutral? 

Depends on whether you consider "the interface is completely changing" and "AA is getting worse" to be neutral.

I meant the neutral part.  I was just making a bad joke.

[HDR]
Beta Testers
232 posts
3,673 battles
4 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I meant the neutral part.  I was just making a bad joke.

This whole thing is a bad joke . I mean really , how much of the community wants this  rework  + the way they seem to be handling it. Telling you now this will be the biggest $%# storm we have ever seen on this forum.

[YARRR]
Members
615 posts
4,886 battles

I've noticed an influx of really bad (new) CV players the past few days, either that or players that shelved their carriers long ago have dusted them off and are having another go at them.

In either case the results are that if an even mildly competent CV driver is on the other side, the game ends in a total curb stomp for the team with the less skilled player.  If this is how it's going to play out for the next months, I'm going on vacation from the game.  This is NOT fun and engaging game play.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts
7 minutes ago, berree said:

This whole thing is a bad joke . I mean really , how much of the community wants this  rework  + the way they seem to be handling it. Telling you now this will be the biggest $%# storm we have ever seen on this forum.

Honestly, I do think a lot of players wanted A rework.  Not that I was one of them.

But I don't think this rework is going to give them anything they wanted.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,510 posts
27,138 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Yeah, I have encountered that too. WG needs to have an in-game link that opens for every player when they open the game that describes that. 

[WOLF5]
Members
656 posts
12,878 battles
1 hour ago, berree said:

I think the storm is going to be in the game as well. The new folks and the folks who don't even know it's coming are going to be very confused, to say the least. 

[WOLF5]
Members
656 posts
12,878 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I agree. I didn't make it clear above I guess, but new players and those who don't come to the forums are in for a huge surprise...

[WOLF5]
Members
656 posts
12,878 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

The only questionable thing in this statement is the word "some".

I think it's closer to 'most' but as soon as you say that...well, it brings out the wrong crowd.

[WOLF5]
Members
656 posts
12,878 battles
1 hour ago, ElAurens said:

I've noticed an influx of really bad (new) CV players the past few days, either that or players that shelved their carriers long ago have dusted them off and are having another go at them.

In either case the results are that if an even mildly competent CV driver is on the other side, the game ends in a total curb stomp for the team with the less skilled player.  If this is how it's going to play out for the next months, I'm going on vacation from the game.  This is NOT fun and engaging game play.

This is going to be just one of the side effects. Then we have the fact that AA is not even close to being balanced, and so you have the wait time until they make the first adjustment. Then you have the shock that many are coming into the rework without even knowing it exists. And on it goes...

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,078 battles
4 hours ago, RevTKS said:

Some issues coming up:

Sounds like fun right? 

You know what is sad? This comes across like you're trying to be a learned-ed well educated server person...while completely ignoring the countless topics that already address all of your issues. You think these aren't topics that have already been covered already? You're the voice people will listen to that will make them rethink their plans? Get lost.

It's happening. Nothing is stopping it. Deal. 

Edited by LubzinNJ
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 5

[WOLF5]
Members
656 posts
12,878 battles
3 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Sorry, what was forgotten?

Anyhoo, ships got spotted/bombed/torp’d before, ships will get spotted/bombed/torp’d after.  Rockets are new, but hardly earth shattering.

Yeah, I'm bad at losing my own point sometimes. 

• Funny 1