Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skpstr

VMF DD Choice

17 comments in this topic

Members
21,172 posts
5,686 battles

I'm not far from unlocking a T8 VMF DD, question is, which one?

I'm enjoying the mini-CL playstyle with Minsk, so I'd have no problem going right up to Khaba.

But I'm also enjoying other DDs, playing with torps and concealment. Do I have the option to be successful playing the other line in more of a "conventional" style? Is the other line usable both ways?

Any input from experience is welcome.

[IXM]
Members
235 posts
3,777 battles

Ognevoi line is going to be a bit more traditional DD playstyle.  Kiev is the classic mini CL play you have been enjoying.  Ognevoi with upgraded guns will have acceptable long range gun power and some very nice torpedo power.  The Kiev will be visible with its horrible concealment but the guns are really great.  Keep moving and shooting and you'll be golden.

Members
13 posts

Minsk is great fun to play.

I went for Kiev first because I had two perma camos in stock and a 10-point captain from Halloween to attach.

One perma camo is in the 2-year anniversary collection (+50% free XP, +50% Commander XP).

[-BRS-]
Members
750 posts
13,335 battles

If you want to send me a private message on discussing a different playstyle, we can talk in detail as I don't play Russian destroyers like everyone else.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,794 posts
3,974 battles

As you pointed out, its dependent on what playstyle you want. 

But the big difference IMHO , is the tier 8's. 

Ognevoi while a good boat, is really a torp boat first and a gun boat second. However Grozovoi and Udaloi are both gun boats that have a flavor of traditional DD's. 

Compared to the Kiev / Tash / Khab, which are pure gunnery platforms.. Both lines are good per say, just that it really depends on the playstyle. 

I am at Tash and Ognevoi.. I plan on going for the Groz due to her balanced platform of gunnery and torpedoes, kind of like best of both worlds. 

In terms of competition, I see grozovoi's in some comps. Not many Khabs tbh... 

If CV's come to CW at some point, I can see Grozovoi being a top contender for DD with Gearing. 

[CUTE]
Members
2,235 posts
9,799 battles

If you’re looking at the TVIII DDs, I’d say they’re both somewhat ugly ducklings. The ognevoi has grossly insufficient firepower and torps that are fast reloading and super stealthy, but kinda anemic when it comes to both damage and speed. The Kiev is too fat and visible to contest caps, but also lacks the heal to properly open water gunboat.

If you’re looking further I think that Tashkent is much better than udaloi, the current Tashkent is basically a 3 gun khaba with significantly better torps and without the ability to eat full damage pens. I remember the Udaloi being unstealthy, but otherwise pretty decent yet unremarkable.

At tier X I think Groz is the best DD in the game rn. She has super powerful AP while also having competitive stealth (6.1km). She has good torps, great range, and also a whole host of conusmables which allows her to do well in any situation. With the khaba there are games when you get shafted if your capping DDs die, but there is no situation in which a groz isn’t useful.

[LEGIT]
Members
849 posts
7,234 battles

Kiev line is Heavy focused on guns and Ognevoi line is a more multi purpose which lack in firepower compared to the Kiev line but has better torps.

[SPTR]
Members
2,439 posts
2,295 battles

don't have either but as other posts above say: depends on your preferable playstyle

Ognevoi seems more balanced and has decent enough AA if CVs show up in CW

Khab is pure gunboat with suicide torps

your choice sir

[STW]
Members
251 posts
17,067 battles
22 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'm not far from unlocking a T8 VMF DD, question is, which one?

I'm enjoying the mini-CL playstyle with Minsk, so I'd have no problem going right up to Khaba.

But I'm also enjoying other DDs, playing with torps and concealment. Do I have the option to be successful playing the other line in more of a "conventional" style? Is the other line usable both ways?

Any input from experience is welcome.

There is no RU DD with a "conventional" playstyle. Yes the Ognevoi comes closest to a normal DD but in the end it is still 75% RU DD playstyle and 25% Conventional DD playstyle

[ARGSY]
5,660 posts
20,369 battles

I prefer the Groz, but it seems she is too much classic DD playstyle for you.

While the Khab is a mini cruiser, the Groz is a well rounded DD. Just good in everything.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
818 posts
12,881 battles

If it is about fun, I recommend based on what you stated above that you give the Grozovoi line your focus. Khabarovsk play is much more one-dimensional. Make no mistake, you can rack up insane damage with the Khabarovsk run and gun approach. My average damage in Khabarovsk so far is about twice what I average in Grozovoi. But if you like getting in close, contesting caps, spotting enemy DDs, using effective torpedoes and in general feeling like you are more a part of the game, I think Grozovoi is the way to go. I have much more fun playing Grozovoi, personally.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have fun with it!

Respects,

Am

Members
21,172 posts
5,686 battles
46 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

I prefer the Groz, but it seems she is too much classic DD playstyle for you.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I like classic too. One thing I wonder, (just from looking at range and ROF) can I also mini-CL in the Groz line (keeping in mind I have fewer barrels) if necessary?

If so, then it seems that line would make sense, as I'd be giving up a bit of gunboating ability for usable versatility.

[ARGSY]
5,660 posts
20,369 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I like classic too. One thing I wonder, (just from looking at range and ROF) can I also mini-CL in the Groz line (keeping in mind I have fewer barrels) if necessary?

If so, then it seems that line would make sense, as I'd be giving up a bit of gunboating ability for usable versatility.

Let's say: the guns are real good. You have smoke, DefAA, heal, good torpedo reload, low spotting range. The RoF could be a bit better, but still good enough for a gunfight, as long it isn't a Haru. 

[AAA]
Members
577 posts
6,638 battles

Og was a terrible grind but the rest of the VMF dds were awesome and the Groz and Khab are beasts

[CUTE]
Members
2,235 posts
9,799 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

You can, but you’ll have issues. It doesn’t have Khaba’s speed and it bleeds at lot more speed turning. It also doesn’t have khaba’s health pool or khaba’s 50mm breastplate.

It does have immunity from battleship full pens, but you’ll still find that Groz is not a very good openeater gunboat.

Members
21,172 posts
5,686 battles
Just now, Gavroche_ said:

You can, but you’ll have issues. It doesn’t have Khaba’s speed and it bleeds at lot more speed turning. It also doesn’t have khaba’s health pool or khaba’s 50mm breastplate.

It does have immunity from battleship full pens, but you’ll still find that Groz is not a very good openeater gunboat.

That's good to know. You don't get that info by looking at stats. Just curious, how does Minsk compare to those two, as far as speed loss?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
728 posts
14,529 battles
19 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

Groz is not a very good openeater gunboat.

Nonsense. Groz is only the 2nd best open-water gunboat in the game, behind Tashkent.

Sign in to follow this