You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SC1P1O

CV Rework - option to opt out

170 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts
5,928 battles

Dear WoWs Community,

Fun is a word I would use to describe my WoWs  experience at this time. But that is a word I fear may no longer be in my vocabulary come patch 8.0. I don't fear tier x CVs because I use AA builds and try to be smart when playing (also helps you don't see them too often). Sticking with teammates, not getting DF baited out ect. The only time that CV is a nightmare is when one team lacks a sufficiently good player to counteract the other. In addition, the thing I dislike most about CVs is how much they slow the  game down. You cannot make aggressive moves, and have to play slow and conservatively, hoping the enemy team loses patience first and makes mistakes that your CV and team can capitalize on. 

I am worried that the new patch will make the game NOT FUN for me. I really enjoy DD and Cruiser gameplay,  where positioning and map knowledge makes each game a competition against myself to pull off new positions or know when and where radars might be. I fear that the new patch will make this tedious and useless. As a DD, I fear that I will be easy to spot, especially if CV planes can use RPF.  Also, with how much they move about the map, will they spot all my torps, and why use a boat that can torp every 90s when I can get one with 30s using a CV that wont be targeted? I also fear that for cruisers like the DM and Moskva, where turret traverse is slow and broadsides get heavily punished, that having to "dodge" ap bombs and torp drops every 30s is going to be super *&#!ing annoying. This will be even worse for battleships, who if being picked on by a cv, may never really have the chance to use a full broadside due to slow turret traverse, and will most likely flood out due to the new DOT buff in being able to have infinite torp and dive bombers available every 30s. 

All this is to emphasize my fear that the predominance of the CV without real testing will lead to the game being tedious, frustrating, and not fun. As a paying customer of wargaming I don't want to have to discard all the money and time I put into this game because they messed up my experience--otherwise reimburse me for all my money and I will uninstall the game. All I am asking for is ONE BUTTON that allows me to opt out of CV matchmaking in random battles in case all I fear comes true. This way, for me, the game that is FUN remains that way.

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,,

SC1P1O 

P.S. Some people have mentioned that opting out would lead to saying, if I do not like this one ship why not others. My response would be that most games now do not have a CV present, so opting out of CV play would not change the game at all for 80% of them.  I am not against CV's I just do not want to have to suffer through until they patch it. I would like the chance to play the game as it stands 80-90% of the time, while waiting for the fallout to dissipate. 

Edited by SC1P1O
  • Cool 29
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 9
  • Bad 16
  • Angry 1

[WYRN]
Beta Testers
116 posts
9,845 battles

I agree in all respects, a lot of money at stake here.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,270 posts

I doubt we'll ever see a "no (this ship type)" option in the game.  The player pool at any one time just isn't big enough to support multiple battle types and multiple queues for each based on exclusion of ships.   For better or worse. 

But along those lines... at this point I'd take the ability to just download a standalone single-player version of 0.7.12 and play it offline with nothing but bots. 

The rework is such an all-around deviation on so many aspects of what made the game enjoyable for me, that other human players aren't worth the downgrade in the game itself once 0.8.0 hits.

• Cool 5

Members
2,665 posts
3,637 battles

Given that one of WGs reasons for the CV rework was to encourage more people to play CVs, they're absolutely not going to provide the option of NOT playing against them, because that would screw over all the people WG are trying to get to play CVs.

I think it's about time, at this point, that people got over aircraft being in the game.

And before anyone starts with the crap, no I'm not a CV main.

Edited by Harathan
  • Cool 5
  • Bad 4

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,609 battles
9 minutes ago, SC1P1O said:

Dear WoWs Community,

Fun is a word I would use to describe my WoWs  experience at this time. But that is a word I fear may no longer be in my vocabulary come patch 8.0. I don't fear tier x CVs because I use AA builds and try to be smart when playing (also helps you don't see them too often). Sticking with teammates, not getting DF baited out ect. The only time that CV is a nightmare is when one team lacks a sufficiently good player to counteract the other. In addition, the thing I dislike most about CVs is how much they slow the  game down. You cannot make aggressive moves, and have to play slow and conservatively, hoping the enemy team loses patience first and makes mistakes that your CV and team can capitalize on. 

I am worried that the new patch will make the game NOT FUN for me. I really enjoy DD and Cruiser gameplay,  where positioning and map knowledge makes each game a competition against myself to pull off new positions or know when and where radars might be. I fear that the new patch will make this tedious and useless. As a DD, I fear that I will be easy to spot, especially if CV planes can use RPF.  Also, with how much they move about the map, will they spot all my torps, and why use a boat that can torp every 90s when I can get one with 30s using a CV that wont be targeted? I also fear that for cruisers like the DM and Moskva, where turret traverse is slow and broadsides get heavily punished, that having to "dodge" ap bombs and torp drops every 30s is going to be super *&#!ing annoying. This will be even worse for battleships, who if being picked on by a cv, may never really have the chance to use a full broadside due to slow turret traverse, and will most likely flood out due to the new DOT buff in being able to have infinite torp and dive bombers available every 30s. 

All this is to emphasize my fear that the predominance of the CV without real testing will lead to the game being tedious, frustrating, and not fun. As a paying customer of wargaming I don't want to have to discard all the money and time I put into this game because they messed up my experience--otherwise reimburse me for all my money and I will uninstall the game. All I am asking for is ONE BUTTON that allows me to opt out of CV matchmaking in random battles in case all I fear comes true. This way, for me, the game that is FUN remains that way.

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,,

SC1P1O 

It already exists: controlpanel/programs/uninstall 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 5

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,395 posts
10,665 battles

Fear Not.

On day one will it be nuts? Yes. Going to take a couple patches to get it all fine tuned.

• Bad 1

Members
2,665 posts
3,637 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

It already exists: controlpanel/programs/uninstall 

Yep. If you're not having fun in the game, the solution is not to also make it less for for other people.

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,626 posts
22,093 battles

Ummmm......no.

I dumped lots of time and $ on this form of entertainment. If it's not a good experience after 0.8.0, I'll stop. No drama. No whining. No demands.

I stopped liking cable, I stopped paying for it.

I stopped paying for Netflix because I don't like their offerings.

I don't like Apple for so many reasons, no more iPhone, iTunes, etc.

And on and on.

If it isn't what I like, it goes away. It's that simple.

Can we stop with dissertations and drama already?

• Cool 9
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,886 posts

Found a note in one of the Captain Skill changes... CV planes will NO LONGER DETECT TORPEDOES. How is that for you?

Members
12 posts
5,928 battles

Opting out is not making it less fun for other people, and I will be honest, I don't want the time I use and the money I spent on this game being wasted over several months during patches because wargaming did not properly test it in the first place. I am asking for a option where I can let those who want to be the guinea pigs use CVs while allowing those of us who want to see how it shakes out the ability to still enjoy the game.

Edited by SC1P1O
  • Cool 8
  • Bad 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,270 posts
1 minute ago, AVR_Project said:

Found a note in one of the Captain Skill changes... CV planes will NO LONGER DETECT TORPEDOES. How is that for you?

And that's actually a major (and IMO unwelcome) nerf to CVs in the rework. 

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,609 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

If you just figured that out, enjoy this: ijn cvs can stealth torp.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,998 posts
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

And that's actually a major (and IMO unwelcome) nerf to CVs in the rework. 

I interpret that as an indirect nerf to BBs that steam in straight lines, and a small buff to DDs, actually.

Members
2,665 posts
3,637 battles
2 minutes ago, SC1P1O said:

Opting out is not making it less fun for other people, and I will be honest, I don't want the time I use and the money I spent on this game being wasted over several months during patches because wargaming did not properly test it in the first place. I am asking for a option where I can let those who want to be the guinea pigs use CVs while allowing those of us who want to see how it shakes out the ability to still enjoy the game.

Opting out is making it less for for other people tho; it splits the playerbase, thereby reducing the pool of players to be played with and against, increasing match wait times and increasing the likelyhood of less than 24-man matches, which already happens when the East coast goes to bed.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
7,112 posts
3,722 battles

As a Cruiser I'd like to opt out of DDs being in my games.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,737 posts
14,186 battles

All I am going to do is fly around with this blaring and a bottle of scotch in one hand.... It will be glorious!

• Funny 2

Members
12 posts
5,928 battles

I have not encountered that, but that could be due to playing at peak hours

Members
2,665 posts
3,637 battles
Just now, Madwolf05 said:

I mean, that's the logical conclusion of the proposal. "If he can opt out of CV games, why can't I opt out of [insert class here] games?" 

Because you either play the game, or you uninstall it. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,609 battles
2 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Opting out is making it less for for other people tho; it splits the playerbase, thereby reducing the pool of players to be played with and against, increasing match wait times and increasing the likelyhood of less than 24-man matches, which already happens when the East coast goes to bed.

And before southpolealia wakes up, but it gets better after that. The east coast really isnt that important.

[WOLF2]
Members
88 posts
6,392 battles

I fully admit that I am one of the "I hate all Change" people.  It is a fault of mine and I try to work through it.  However, I can't help but also be very uneasy about the CV rework.  At least, I am pretty sure I am going to take a Haidas once 8.0 drops.  I am not looking forward to mulitple CV per team working together to burn a single ship to the ground when your own CVs are just saving their fighters in the off chance they are attached.  Perma spotting, while unlikely with a single CV match, seems very workable with multiple CVs.  I am trying to be open minded but i fear this is might drive more people from the game than it drives to play CVs.  Might have been a better plan just to remove CVs entirely.  Hopefully, that is still an option if this rework goes poorly.

To the OP, an Opt out button, while good in theory, would never work.  90% of the ships in the normal queue would be CVs and their wait times would be hours (might be a issues without an opt out button).  Allthough, I don't really buy into the "population does not support" theory.  Population during peaks times is something like 13-14k.   Population during slow times is like 4k and MM mostly works.   It seems there would enough population to allow for opt out at least during the peak hours.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,018 posts
2,843 battles
1 minute ago, Madwolf05 said:

Yea.. can we add a multi-select.. I'd like to add opt out for BBs also..      

Members
2,665 posts
3,637 battles
Just now, monpetitloup said:

And before southpolealia wakes up, but it gets better after that. The east coast really isnt that important.

To be fair it's only happened to me once and it was closer to 3am EST, on a work day to boot. Point stands tho, WoWs isn't exactly brimming with players.