You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Been Grinding up the IJN DD Line

25 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts

I'm starting to grind my way up the IJN DD lines and am wondering what ships that people consider "keepers"?

Currently I'm at the tier VIIs and rather like them. The Akatsuki plays like an improved Fubuki, my favorite DD of last-year's tier VI Ranked season. I sold that ship when I got the Shinonome from the campaign as it's a better gunboat though.

The tier VII I really like though is the Shiratsuyu. This ship has decent concealment for its tier and that amazing torp reload booster that can allow you to send out 16 torps at once. The ship also has fairly good guns. The only thing I don't like is the constant requests for me to "Set a smoke screen!" and disbelief when I say that I have no smoke.

Oh, yes, and it has practically no AA. Last game I was always having to run back to a Cleveland or Massey for AA support when the planes were pestering me too much. 

shot-19_01.08_20_59.39-0318.thumb.jpg.260a5a2bc9ab790b2d8f1f75b1d8f822.jpg

Do you all consider this a "keeper" or does the line keep getting better?

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,094 posts
5,013 battles

For me the tech tree keepers were Kagero, Shimakaze, Kitakaze, Harugumo. the first two for their torpedoes and the latter two for their pew pew pew.

I found Shiratsuyu too slow and too unable to defend itself when it get's discovered and run down for my tastes. Plus I was cursed with bad teams. When I played Akizuki I had a knack of running into randomly fired torpedoes so that clouded my view forever. Akatsuki was meh and imho is pretty powercrept these days. Yugumo was meh for me. Everything lower i don't care much about.

For premiums, I think all the premiums are great. The Kamikazes if you have/can get one, Harekaze (can't get anymore sorry), Asashio (B), all great ships. Even Tachibana (lima) is hilarious when you put a 19 point captain on it.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
730 posts
7,538 battles

It gets better. Yugumo is a blast. Harekaze is a lot more fun than the Shiratsu.  Yugumo is even better even if the Harekaze scores higher XP.

I sold my Harekaze because I obtained a Kagero. The Yugumo has my original 19 point IJN commander. 

• Cool 1

[CSALT]
Members
663 posts

I kept my Fubuki and sail it more than any other IJN DD.  I also kept my Aki cause it is a beast.  I kept the Shima and Haru just cause Ive kept all my Tier X ships so far.

I also have two Asashio and the HSF Harekaze which i2 play at least once daily for the daily win bonus.

Interesting note on The Asashios.  I use one Captain for the Asashios and another for the Harekaze cause the Asashio is the only DD I use the torpedo speed boost skill on.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,230 posts
9,756 battles

For me keepers are Kagerou , Yuugumo, Shimakaze for the main DD line. Kagerou has the best concealment you can have at T8 and beats all other T6 DD as well as T10 DD. Yuugumo is a straight up improvement from Kagerou and Shimakaze is now better thanks to her HE buff and concealment buff. It's a shame you can no longer get Harekaze and Asashio is garbage for me.

Regarding gunboat DD, I kept Akizuki because she used to be my main ship but Kitakaze is definitely a keeper.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,060 posts
16,404 battles

Not that I played her much in her glory days, but I still remember when Pre-Nerf Shiratsuyu demanded utmost respect.  Smoke and TRB at the same time made her dangerous.  I remember the one time she showed up in Ranked, she did very well.  I remember the guys talking about her as the balance against the many smoke campers in Tier VII.  Unfortunately the moment Ranked ended WG nerfed the living  hell out of Shiratsuyu and she's never recovered.

This picture was from the last time Tier VII Ranked happened, it was before Shiratsuyu got nerfed which followed.  Only Hiryu and Winfast did better.  But this was from March 2017.  Yes folks.  It's been almost 2 years since there was a Ranked Season in Tier VII.

DAzDYie.jpg

I wonder how Yudachi will be.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF5]
Members
636 posts
22,665 battles

I'd keep everything from T-6 on simply because you never know what mission/op/rank seasons may require a specific tier. Hatsu and Akatsuki are the weakest of the IJN DD's in that group, but the Hatsu outspots everything if you're in a t-6 only match. They may be port queens, but if a ranked/comp season requires a certain meta to counter the play....

Also WG has had a history of giving out sets of mid tier boats and/or camos (look at the last 2 christmas campaigns as well as the anniversary where we got T6/8 boats/camos). If you've got the ship, you'll get the credits + port slots. 

[H_]
Members
1,472 posts

SOLD THE FABUKI???  Sacrilege ! 

Where's a knight from the land of Ni when you need one???

How can you do the Fabuki "dance" if you sold it, eh?!  Oh God, Oh God a calamity is forthcoming.......sigh, abandon all joy.

Don't worry, all is not lost.........the Kagero is coming up and it really is a great ship.  the Yuggy and the Shimmy are nice......and, are fun but, at tier 8, with a 5.4 detect playing against tier 10's most of the time, you can rack up some nice scores....  Tier 8 was the fastest tier to get through because of that ship.....my favorite torpedo boat with the Fabuki right behind it. 

You don't need no stinking guns in those ships..........just patience and if you grok Sun Tzu's: "fight the enemy where they aren't", you are Golden because that's what these ships do best !

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
13,094 posts
5,013 battles

The big problem I find with the IJN DDs in T6 and T7 (except Shinonome), is that the competition around them is very good, many of whom can do the stealth torping job as well whilst also being threatening with their guns.

Hatsuharu and Fubuki have to contend with the likes of T-61, Gallant, Shinonome, Fushun, Anshan.

Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu have to sail the seas with the likes of Gadjah Mada, Jervis, Leningrad, Z-39, Haida, Blyskawica.

Not to mention all the concealment module equipped tier 8 and 9 DDs that will slaughter them. It is really rough for IJN DDs in tiers 6, and 7.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
789 posts
6,426 battles

If I like it, I keep it. That's about all the thought that goes into it for me.

My keepers:

Akatsuki (one of my favorite ships in the entire game)

I like Kagero but I have Harakaze soo yeah, sold it.

Yugumo (TRB)

Shima

Kitakaze (everything about the Akizuki I liked and more...so I sold Akizuki) 

Haragumo could go either way, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, but it's T10 so I'll more than likely keep it.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts

For a ship that I'm not really enamored of, I seem to be doing really good with the Shiratsuyu.

shot-19_01.09_00_13.34-0271.jpg.451421cd25fe49071a0bcf3c6b5a395c.jpgit.

So what don't I like about it? Well, it trades smoke for the torpedo booster but that's a choice so you can't say you don't like not having any smoke. The guns don't fire all that fast but they have better shell arcs than the USN DDs and seem to do the job. The health pool is sort of low but I seem to survive long enough to get the job done. 

I guess this actually is a nice little ship.

Take last game. I didn't hit them much but I hit them hard. I even sank two after I died. One to a final salvo and the other to a torpedo fired at the same time.

shot-19_01.09_00_22.18-0621.thumb.jpg.3f63d1918c645835a14f71e398b61c6f.jpg

Members
1,565 posts
47 battles

It's pretty reassuring to see people consider Shimakaze a keeper when the playerbase thinks she's the "worst T10 DD" and is "utterly worthless" and "cannon fodder" to every T10 DD

[RIPCV]
Members
287 posts
888 battles
4 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

It's pretty reassuring to see people consider Shimakaze a keeper when the playerbase thinks she's the "worst T10 DD" and is "utterly worthless" and "cannon fodder" to every T10 DD

Wait until certain ijn maniac come and throw a popcorn party :Smile_trollface: 

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
384 posts
13,735 battles
35 minutes ago, New_Horizontal said:

Wait until certain ijn maniac come and throw a popcorn party :Smile_trollface: 

I was gonna say, the whole tree is a keeper. :cap_popcorn:

The IJN DD line is often misplayed by potatoes sitting too far from the fight. When played right, the IJN torp line is more influential than any DD line. Patience, persistence, and good map awareness will make them a strong presence on the battlefield.

Tier for tier, the Fubuki variants (Fubuki, Shinonome, Akatsuki) are some of the best DDs in the game. 

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,737 posts
14,186 battles

In ranked tier 7, I believe the Shira was only behind the Payfast and Fiji in winning%. I remember it to be a very good ship.

[NWNG]
Members
2,623 posts
4,527 battles
13 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

It gets better. Yugumo is a blast. Harekaze is a lot more fun than the Shiratsu.  Yugumo is even better even if the Harekaze scores higher XP.

I sold my Harekaze because I obtained a Kagero. The Yugumo has my original 19 point IJN commander. 

Wait... you sold a premium ship, because you obtained a tech tree ship? A Premium ship, that despite being stock torpedoes and stock hp, is a better ship than it's Tech Tree Counter part, you sold?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,070 posts
3,895 battles

I consider Akatsuki a keeper. A real breath of fresh air after the sad state Fubuki was left in after she was downtiered, and a definite improvement from the previous T7 Hatsuharu that I had to grind through before the line was shuffled around.

T7 matchmaking is also more favorable overall, compared to T8, which is why I don't sing many praises about Kagero. Although at least for destroyers getting uptiered constantly is merely an annoyance so I can see why folks like Kagero. It's just not my cup of tea.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
10,771 battles

Umikaze, wakatake, and Isokaze are my keepers.   

Kamikaze, r & fujin are why i dont need to keep minikaze

shino is why i dont need to keep akat (in fact i never even played akat) or fubuki

asashio and harekaze means i dont need to keep shirat, akizuki, kagero ,nor yugumo.    

[SYN]
Members
730 posts
7,538 battles
2 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Wait... you sold a premium ship, because you obtained a tech tree ship? A Premium ship, that despite being stock torpedoes and stock hp, is a better ship than it's Tech Tree Counter part, you sold?

Oops.  I sold the Kagero cause I got the Harekaze. My personal best for xp is still the Kagero, though. Both are powerful weapons. 

2 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
13,094 posts
5,013 battles
26 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Oops.  I sold the Kagero cause I got the Harekaze. My personal best for xp is still the Kagero, though. Both are powerful weapons. 

Ah I see now, you put them the wrong way round. Good to know that you aren't insane.:cap_like:

[-BUI-]
Members
664 posts
2,719 battles

Once I finally got Akizuki, I fell in love.    Finally unlocked and purchased my Kitakaze, but I've been short in credits so its not combat ready yet (fully upgraded with all the modules I want on it), but soon.

IJN gunboat DDs are super super fun.

[NFE]
Members
172 posts
2,887 battles
3 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I consider Akatsuki a keeper...

T7 matchmaking is also more favorable overall, compared to T8...

I will enthusiastically echo these sentiments. I have over 1,000 games in my Akat, and have no desire to play any other ship or tier. Except Derzki, when I get sunk early and want to play something while I wait.

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,184 posts
15,088 battles

Well since I'm a destroyer main I've kept them all,   But in general I'd have to say all them are keepers from T8 up

[SYN]
Members
730 posts
7,538 battles
53 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Ah I see now, you put them the wrong way round. Good to know that you aren't insane.:cap_like:

I didn't say that I am not insane. 

• Funny 1