You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

German or US cruiser?

21 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
2,073 posts
6,498 battles

Seeking opinions of the Roon, Buffalo & Seattle. The Roon appears to be a heavy cruiser version of the Nurnberg. IMO the Nurnberg is useful in coops & ops only. T9 seems to be the least favorite tier.

Members
1,525 posts
8,895 battles

The Roon has that back 2 turret setup. Thing seems to be made for kiting away. 

Buff and Seattle play like the 2 ships before them, balt/cleveland. 

Edit: Nurn plays fine in random.

nurn.jpg

Actually thinking about the Roon, I mostly just started. But plays more like the Nurn so far, less than the Hipper.

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles

Roon is a beast if you learn ow to kite. Buffalo and Seattle are close quarters.... one hits heavy the other is an IFHE spammer. All three lead to awesome tier ten cruisers

[LEGIT]
Members
1,537 posts
23,463 battles

I really like the Hindenberg.  And the Worcester.  I can't play the Des Moines or Moscva; though.  

Members
21,173 posts
5,686 battles

Do you like hiding behind islands and lobbing shells? Or open water evasion with accurate long-range fire?

I look at Roon like a KBerg (which I love lol) on steroids. I didn't do great in it, (I rushed through it to get Hindy) but I found it pretty comfortable. You get the same guns as Hindy, just fewer, and it's pretty tanky. One of the better T9s IMO (or at least not a bad one) 

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
798 posts
6,433 battles
37 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Seeking opinions of the Roon, Buffalo & Seattle. The Roon appears to be a heavy cruiser version of the Nurnberg. IMO the Nurnberg is useful in coops & ops only. T9 seems to be the least favorite tier.

Well I've enjoyed the DM so far. Pensacola and Baltimore were a lot of fun, I enjoy the former more but kept both. Some people have success with Buffalo myself included but it felt like a real stinker. Overall the USN line felt like more of a grind. Only at the Cleveland on the CL line so I can't really comment on anything else. My clan-mates are of a split opinion on Seattle, love it or hate it, no in between.

I really enjoyed the KM cruiser line from top to bottom and will arrive at Hindy soon but am in no hurry because I am REALLY enjoying the Roon. Special mention to the Nurnberg which I kept and still really enjoy a lot. Hipper was difficult at times but overall I'd say the KM line felt less "grindy" and I felt more useful on all maps. Very well rounded ships.

[NUWES]
Members
2,020 posts
6,509 battles
50 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Honestly, I'm a cruiser main and I didn't like any of those. Not surprisingly the T10s are all better. I completed the American CA line but I went back and played Buffalo a bit to try it out. Buffalo is the most useful of the three but its 3x3-3x3 layout means you have to be careful. You have to show side or lose half of your firepower and BBs at that tier can murder you. That being said it has a LOT of firepower for its tier. It is basically bringing T10 CA gunpower down to T9. 

Roon is good if you are kiting away. Unfortunately it is really not so good in any other situation. The issue with kiting away is you are kiting away. You're conceding space which means you are conceding caps. You basically have to depend on your team to do what you aren't doing, which is contest caps. It is really hard to get this ship to do a lot of damage with its turret layout.  If the enemy is actively firing on you and you have to bow-in to protect  yourself you lose a lot of firepower. Buffalo loses half, you lose 2/3. You basically have the back 3/4 of a Hindy.

Seattle is just mediocre. The ship itself is ok, but its turret arcs are quite bad. You really have to expose a lot of ship to get your firepower off and unlike the other two Seattle can't even pretend to tank the return fire. It's a slightly tougher Cleveland that gains a heal but trades it for more vulnerability and facing higher tier opponents with regularity. It just felt less agile than Cleveland. I'm not sure if that is really true or just the fact that it is a bit bigger with worse arcs, but it felt clumsier.

That's my view on those three. Buffalo is the best by a good bit but  that isn't a ringing endorsement of Buffalo. The T9 tech tree cruisers aren't really a stellar bunch across the Board. Ibuki and Neptune just add to the mediocrity. Saint-Louis is probably the best if that is available to you. 

[1STBG]
Members
1,247 posts
5,232 battles

I have all 3.  I'd probably go for the Roon, to get to the Hindenberg.  The Roon and Hindy's HE can overmatch bow-on Stalingrads and Moskvas.  The only other ship that can do that is Henri + IFHE. We're seeing a lot more Stalingrads, so that will be helpful.  Plus the germans have torps.  And the Roon is a much more forgiving T9 experience than was the Buffalo and Seattle.  

It's a toin coss for me though.  I think the DM is the best tech tree cruiser. Great DPM, excellent long-duration radar, great AA, and AP that can punish anything showing broadside. Getting the DM made the difficult Buffalo grind worth it. 

I think the Worcester is the least competitive of the 3.  It's a blast, but its brutal radar nerf, combined with the CE nerf in 8.0, means it can't do what it did best, which was hunting DDs.  It's a blast to play, but simply doesn't have the ability to affect the game as much as the DM or Hindy....  unless it gets really lucky with positioning and the team spotting for it. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

[MIA]
Supertester, Supertester
6,437 posts
7,765 battles

Personally liked the Seattle more due to DPM. However, Buffalo can certainly smack ships around! Roon is a solid ship but just wasn't my taste.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,998 posts
4,848 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

My friend, when you master the german sorcery excellent 8 inch AP of the German cruisers...nothing will come close barring Moskva of stupid accuracy and excellent penetration. 

Plus turtleback...

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
384 posts
13,757 battles

Want to support your team by raining fire behind cover while getting brownie points for spotting DDs and shred planes ? Go for USN cruisers.

Want to tear holes in other ships and enjoy improved HE pentration while laughing at battleships that are unable to citadel you at close range? Go for KM cruisers.

Edited by AbyssAngkor

[WOLF9]
Members
3,642 posts

Well, I don't yet have the Seattle, so I can't offer any advice there.

Both Roon and Buffalo are great ships and fun to play- but they require very different playstyles and mindsets.  

Buffalo wants to be in a position to beat the $hip out of red broadsides, and is great fun when a CV can't resist the temptation to try, lol.   I think it's stock will rise some after the CV rework goes live- there's a LOT of AA to work with here, and if you spec into it, it becomes nasty!    You do pay for those 3 extra guns with a longer reload, but when you DO get to hammer away with all twelve 8" guns, the results are devastating- for them- and profitable for you.   If you enjoy playing USN CA's, chances are you'll like this one- it plays the same way, just with extra barrels.   Stick it out, and you'll get the USN 8" machine gun known as Des Moines.  (or as I call it: my weapon of citadel destruction)

Roon is kind of an oddball.  It can do utterly nasty things- like any German CA- but the backwards armament is hard to use in co-op, sometimes.   It IS fun, though- and it leads to Hindenburg.  You either need to kite- and get someone to chase you; or flank/use someone else as a meat shield while you take advantage of distracted enemies.   Surprise torps in the face for someone coming around an island are always fun, too!

After the cruiser split, I had both Buffalo and Roon in port.  I ended up grinding out Buff first, simply because it already had 100k exp on it that transferred over from tier 9 Baltimore.   No other reason.   I'm working on Roon, now and Hindy'll be my 4th tech tree tier 10. (Alsace is nearly done; and I just bought Salem with proceeds from the snowflake event.)  Dunno what comes then.   Most likely Groz or Gearing- or Henri IV, if I can ever get the stupid tier 8 to stay alive long enough to do anything.  Geez that thing eats damage...

[WOLFC]
Members
789 posts
1,928 battles

I enojyed pensacola and NO on US lone. I hit baltimore and i cant make the ship work. Went from high 60% w/l rating in pensacola and NO to barely 50% in baltimore. I think i might go down german line now.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
2 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

I really like the Hindenberg.  And the Worcester.  I can't play the Des Moines or Moscva; though.  

I do okay in the DM. But can be boring at times. Point the bow and blaze away lol

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,119 posts
16,467 battles

German Cruisers are far simpler, straight up to play than any of the US Cruisers, CL or CA.

German Cruisers got range, good shell velocity, good shell arcs.  They're very proficient at range and you will have the threat of torpedoes as a tool to bash anyone that dares get into knife fighting range with you.  Even BBs will regret getting too close.  And that's it.  There's no finesse.  Just simply good gunnery and torps to back you up.  You can't go wrong, especially with Hindenburg in Tier X.

US Cruisers have floaty shells, mediocre range.  Starting Tier VIII they get Radar access.  US Cruisers take a lot more work to bring to fruition.  It's frustrating when your shells open parachutes as they start their decent from the stratosphere.  US Cruiser floaty shells are so bad that a RU DD can be just over 11km and torment any of them while the US Cruiser has problems hitting.  You got Radar, but you need to get close to use it, and it's very stressful being a proper Radar Cruiser because you are very far forward, right there with the DDs.  You f--k up and you're getting focus fired by 2-3 Battleships and a few Cruisers and die a horrible death.

Meanwhile the German Cruiser just sits back at 16km+ and just keeps firing and firing and firing and firing away.  And unlike US Cruisers, actually hit at range.  They're uncomplicated and not stressful to play, and their gunnery doesn't frustrate you like US Cruisers do.

HOWEVER... A properly played US Radar Cruiser is very influential in match.  Done right, they affect the Cap and DD Minigames.  There is no shortage of firepower in High Tier.  But that firepower means sh*t if the threat cannot be spotted.  A well played Radar Cruiser contesting the caps and backing up its team's DDs is a great team asset.  But it's hard to do and it's stressful.

The German Cruiser just farms damage.  That's at.  But you're not worrying about stuff like the US Radar Cruiser does.  But dealing damage isn't exactly a unique thing that only they do well, as there are tons of damage dealers out there.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,073 posts
6,498 battles

Thanks,

I do have the Cleveland, Baltimore & Hipper. I did not like the Nurnberg at all. I enjoyed the Yorck after the buff to the shells last August. And I do like the Hipper better than the Baltimore but that is because of the torpedoes. They do come in handy sometimes.

[_-_]
Members
1,636 posts
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Meanwhile the German Cruiser just sits back at 16km+ and just keeps firing and firing and firing and firing away.  And unlike US Cruisers, actually hit at range.  They're uncomplicated and not stressful to play, and their gunnery doesn't frustrate you like US Cruisers do.

Wait, wut?

My fave ship is the Hindy precisely because she's built to get up-close and personal.

Radar cruisers play a chess match. Hindenburg loves a bar room brawl.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,119 posts
16,467 battles
2 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Wait, wut?

My fave ship is the Hindy precisely because she's built to get up-close and personal.

Radar cruisers play a chess match. Hindenburg loves a bar room brawl.

Hindenburg excels in the short ranged fight.  But you know as well as I do, the VAST majority of Hindy players are too scared to battle in knife fight ranges even if the opportunity presents itself.  Most of the time you see them sitting at 16km+ away, farming HE + Fire damage off the godd*mn Yamato way in the back.

The ship promotes some of the most braindead play in the game and most of the time, the true strength of Hindenburg is never realized.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[THOR]
Members
158 posts
3,926 battles
29 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Hindenburg excels in the short ranged fight.  But you know as well as I do, the VAST majority of Hindy players are too scared to battle in knife fight ranges even if the opportunity presents itself.  Most of the time you see them sitting at 16km+ away, farming HE + Fire damage off the godd*mn Yamato way in the back.

The ship promotes some of the most braindead play in the game and most of the time, the true strength of Hindenburg is never realized.

Should the Hindy at first stay back at first and farm and pick the right time to get brawling. Or start brawling from the get go?

[_-_]
Members
1,636 posts
45 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Aye, tis so.