You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tr3xx0n

Friendly Fire Penalties - do we really need them?

15 comments in this topic

[TSG4C]
Members
26 posts
1,893 battles

I have been playing WoT on the Xbox since the early beta days.  In the beginning there were friendly fire penalties for Artillery Fire (yes I know most people hate Arty, but that is not this discussion), they reworked it multiple times trying to find some kind of reasonable balance for accidental vs.griefer damage.  In the end it was too much of a pain in the [edited]/player outrage that they just scrapped it and there was no FF penalty and you could not damage anyone else with Arty fire.

Now I get there is a good argument for developing the skill and operational awareness to properly aim and fire arty/torps.  But there is also the argument that can be made for 'at the end of the day is it worth all the aggravation that FF brings?' 

[I still don't get the concept that I get a FF damage penalty if someone drives right into me. At a minimum get rid of ship to ship collision FF penalties.]

One of the nifty things that WoT Console did was to create a 'most damage done medal' for each battle. So the person on either the green or red team that did the most damage would win the medal for that match.  Caveat was if you shot or drove into someone else, you could not get the badge regardless of how much more damage than anyone else you may have done.  (Minor aggravation point was if someone cut in front of you and you bumped/grazed them, you were automatically out of the running for the medal)  The Medal increased the XP & Moola so you had incentive to more tactical in ordinance delivery.

Side Note: To demonstrate how much people can be jerks:  WG had to develop a suicide penalty for those people who would kill themselves by drowning their tanks in order to keep the other team from getting the kill.  Everyone in the battle would get a slice of whatever money / XP the suicider had earned and that person would also pay a penalty.  Shut down the suiciding pretty damn quickly.

So maybe WG should open their game playbook and come up with more player friendly and creative way of dealing with FF.

• Funny 2

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,884 posts
10,476 battles

Removing friendly fire would change the meta. It would allow people to play differently, in manners that would be detrimental to their team. You would have dds spamming torps from the second line instead of playing on the knifes edge of detection or contesting caps. 

Imo, this would be no fun and I'm happy to have the tk damage in the game to keep this style of play from happening. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
Members
10,337 posts

Yes we need FF to some extent and they have already severely nerfed FF as it is. Torpedoes are a beautiful thing that need to be treated with care and attention not something you cast off with no thought but sent with purpose to the enemy.

QTSY6Hu.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
331 posts

I'm lucky that our secondaries no longer damage friendly ships . That was a nightmare when it happened and you couldn't control the damage being dealt.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,426 posts
4,299 battles

Friendly fire is often a tactical decision. You have to gauge if the risk of doing team damage outweighs important damage or kills. The same way that exposing your broadside to someone can result in you getting Dev struck, the same way your risk has to have consequences regarding torpedoes at least.

Not having friendly fire would remove one more of the beautiful intricacies of the game.

Besides turning pink is a warning, not a punishment. You can work it out easily in co op quite quickly.

Edited by warheart1992

[MKF]
Members
446 posts
16,296 battles

As some have stated above I would be against that as it would dumb down the game and remove consequences of poorly aimed torps. Are there occasional trolls who cause team damage intentionally? Sure, but I really don't see it very often enough to make that change worthwhile.

Edited by Dath_1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,790 posts
4,669 battles
15 minutes ago, Dath_1 said:

As some have stated above I would be against that as it would dumb down the game and remove consequences of poorly aimed torps. Are there occasional trolls who cause team damage intentionally? Sure, but I really don't see it very often enough to make that change worthwhile.

True enough.  Also, OP, removing friendly fire can enable an entirely different form of griefing.  It would probably also not be used very often, but imagine a friendly blocking your movement and shots just because they can.  It would suck mightily.

23 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I predict rancor.

Well, we can't have a good prediction go to waste.  Here you go.

eW39qQt.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
716 posts
6,150 battles

We definitely need them, the torpedo spam would be unbearable.

Think of the Shiratsuyu with torp reload, staying at 9km and just rinse and release through friendly BBs or Cruisers. No penalty, get the odd damage and then would have the nerve to say 'im doing my role'.

Even the bumping of ships. If you removed them, you would see squads of DDs run in front of a BB and try and stop it on the friendly team etc, for the luls for them as it ruined other peoples game play.

Can the system potentially be improved, yes, but removed entirely, no, I think not.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,784 posts
14,235 battles

if their were no TK penalties I would TK 83% of the CV's on my team.

• Funny 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,462 posts
9,251 battles

There is still Friendly Fire in WOT.  They did add the Battle Buddy medal for not damaging a friendly tank for 50 battles.  And, in WOT, team mates can shoot and/or kill the Friendly firing tank with no penalty when they are blue.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,257 posts
5,205 battles
32 minutes ago, _greifer_Africanus said:

Think of the Shiratsuyu with torp reload,

Funny, you mention her... Had a coop game where guy started shooting at islands and teammates then unloaded all his torps at teammates. At least three of us took damage he thought it was hilarious he was pink! Yes TK and FF isn't perfect but it is needed!

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
1,260 posts
68 battles

Yes please. Bring back fire and flooding as well. 

• Cool 1