Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

The CV rework is the bedrock, lets build upon it.

29 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,998 posts
4,848 battles

I’m generally known as being a person who complains a bit, points out flaws, points out issues, but even I must raise an eyebrow here. I literally look at these forums every day, from contributors to unicums, to the base player…everyone seems to scream that the CV rework will fail. I’m sick of it all, I’m sick of seeing the constant rage from a vocal few. I’ve recently adopted a new way of life that forces me to look at what can be done, versus what is lost. This community seems to look towards the vocal few with predictions the sky is falling…and failing to see what could be gleamed. 

Many many many moons ago Wargaming gave us this amazing game. Yes, it wasn’t perfect, yes it pissed me off to high heaven, yes it made me rage up and down, but it was a game I could play and enjoy. It took me a very long time to understand there are pitfalls to this game, and there is a very dark side that encourages you to run the hamster wheel (Steel/Coal).

With that being said, I want YOU the forum goer to sit back for a moment. Think for a moment about what this rework really is, it’s something new. This is the bare bedrock for a class of warship. I think people are upset because they haven’t grasped this concept yet. They see the vocal minority raging, losing their favorite toys, and they fall in line. To me, I played the rework, and I see it for what it is. It is Wargaming making a solid attempt to change the dark endless abyss of CV gameplay and the lost cause to balance it. 

Note: trying to balance CV’s was like fighting the war on drugs…you make progress…but you still lose…you make progress…you still lose…do you not see the endless cycle of failure here? 

Now I’m no unicum, or tato when it comes to playing CV’s. However, CV gameplay evolved into something that was overly complicated that arguably very few people could truly master…and then abuse. Time and time again, I saw Midways, Hack’s, Zepplins…all of them delete people at will with massed strikes. You could tell how your game was going to go in the opening minutes by the actions of your CV. I truly wonder how many people were alpha strike'd away from this game. 

THAT WAS NOT FUN PERIOD! 

My time is limited these days, I work a lot more, and I don’t want to jump into a game and spend 20 minutes on a lost cause I caught onto from the start. I loathe potato CV’s, because they fail so badly, we almost automatically lose. They get to tier X by grinding free XP and whippin out the credit card.
You CANNOT make a skill-based match maker. The level of coding alone would cost the company more than it was worth. The MM is a core element of the game, it’s far too late to do that drastic of a change. 
The rework honestly makes a lot of sense to me. They removed RTS to make it user friendly and boost the numbers of CV drivers. Easier to play is easier to master. This will remove the “oh lost cause…” when you read off stats of your Hak driver and find out he’s wearing a football helmet, whilst the enemy Midway is running par with Skynet. 

Yes, the gameplay is wonky, yes AA can be confusing, yes unlimited planes are questionable…. but some of us have been here since beta, we should know better by now its gonna take time for this to evolve. 

I honestly look forward to watching the evolution of the rework. It’s enough for me to play, and work with. I will grind it, I will complain and gripe…but honestly, I won’t need the level of focus and speed a few lines of Columbian snow can provide at tier 10 with all the squads, massing strikes, and strafing people. 

I propose this people, give the CV rework a chance…come up with ways to enjoy it. Let’s see what you all can do with it. 

• Cool 19
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,395 posts
10,637 battles

Ready to give it a go. I expect some pain some tears and a lot of fun.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,038 posts

I'm already burnt out again due to this event. By the time the update comes I will be back on the sidelines, laughing at you poor beta testers..:Smile_teethhappy:

[HYDRO]
Members
2,413 posts
4,288 battles

I will give it a shot for sure, but with how boring Tier IV gameplay looks I am already discouraged from grinding 2 tiers worth in them. 

Good thing is that Ranked will be Tier IX so if the situation turns to be bad it may be a sanctuary for a while.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,128 posts
8,033 battles

Lets hope that WG does not build on the CV rework by removing any other mechanics that they think are hard to understand.

• Cool 2

[LUCK]
Members
1,626 posts
22,071 battles
35 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I’m generally known as being a ...

Nice post. Sadly, this will fall on deaf ears for most of the vocal minority.

• Cool 1

[SC]
Alpha Tester
153 posts
6,030 battles
25 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I'm already burnt out again due to this event. By the time the update comes I will be back on the sidelines, laughing at you poor beta testers..:Smile_teethhappy:

The game is still in beta so thanks for your service this far hope to see you back again after you are content with the update. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts
10 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Lets hope that WG does not build on the CV rework by removing any other mechanics that they think are hard to understand.

Precisely, sir.

Members
2,665 posts
3,637 battles
22 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Seriously. I dread to think what WG might think of as "hard to understand". Anything they've created a training video for, for instance. Cos if those things were easy to understand, they wouldn't have needed to create a training video, right?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,395 posts
10,637 battles
37 minutes ago, awiggin said:

LOL I hear ya. The Christmas New years events were a lot but I loved it. I should be totally done well before 8.0 so will take a little break then.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,403 posts
10,158 battles

Having CVs in the game from the beginning was a meta game fail.  Eliminate them and eliminate the salt and tears.  Easy to do.  Would really like to see the Meta overhauled, though it would be a complete rework of how the basic ships take damage.  Bow and Stern shots on your ships should WRECK you... Armor was designed to allow ship to bring all batteries to the target and hopefully survive the return fire.  Got a whole generation of gamers that may read a navel history book and look at a battle like Jutland and go..."no wonder those ships sunk, they should have been tanking...can't believe they didn't know that..."  :(

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,580 posts
15,223 battles

I have this feeling that over the course of time, they eventually will keep adding squadrons to be able to control at the same time lol.

They will let everyone start off with 1, then one day there will be 2, then 3 and somewhere down the road CVs will be right back to where they are now but even stronger than ever before ;)

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
8,726 posts
5,902 battles
55 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

You completely misunderstood what WG was trying to say, didn't you?

@Dr_Venture, I agree with most of your points and the overall thrust of your post. Some of your examples could have been a little less politically or culturally charged - if you meant to imply that football players are stupid, for example, that's not universally true across all codes in all nations (I went to medical school with one, who passed quite successfully). If you are referring to the mentally handicapped with epilepsy needing their heads protected, that's even worse. As for the War on Drugs, perhaps a Labour of Sisyphus would have been a better example.

[SIMP]
Members
1,166 posts
59 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Nice post. Sadly, this will fall on deaf ears for most of the vocal minority.

This ^

So many people let others make up their minds for them - a few bias videos from people who obviously expect the old CV model with the new rework - and bam, every unthinking troll says it's the worst thing ever.... when they haven't even tried it themselves.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts
3 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

This ^

So many people let others make up their minds for them - a few bias videos from people who obviously expect the old CV model with the new rework - and bam, every unthinking troll says it's the worst thing ever.... when they haven't even tried it themselves.

Translation -- "People who don't agree with me about a video game are stupid sheep who can't manage to even draw their own conclusions".

:Smile_smile:

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[_-_]
Members
1,628 posts
39 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Having CVs in the game from the beginning was a meta game fail.  Eliminate them and eliminate the salt and tears.  Easy to do.  Would really like to see the Meta overhauled, though it would be a complete rework of how the basic ships take damage.  Bow and Stern shots on your ships should WRECK you... Armor was designed to allow ship to bring all batteries to the target and hopefully survive the return fire.  Got a whole generation of gamers that may read a navel history book and look at a battle like Jutland and go..."no wonder those ships sunk, they should have been tanking...can't believe they didn't know that..."  :(

I wish there was a proper 64-bit battleship-era naval sim out there. I really do.

But this isn't it, and never will be. It's an arcade game derived from one about tanks.

Real naval combat in the big-gun era was slow, with notable exceptions like the night actions around Guadalcanal. battles ran from hours- to days-long affairs. It also featured horribly inaccurate weapons (for the most part).

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,805 posts
6,212 battles
35 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Translation -- "People who don't agree with me about a video game are stupid sheep who can't manage to even draw their own conclusions".

When everyone points to a single YouTube video as evidence when asked, yes, that makes you a stupid sheep.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,987 posts

Nice to see  a positive thread. 

A bunch of people are still looking backwards at what is going away, rather than forward at what is coming.   

Such a waste of time, and hard on the neck trying to watch the sky falling on you 24/7.

The rework may turn out good, or bad, or so-so, but it'll still be better than this infernal wrangling over something that is going away and will soon be history.   

I see possibilities, and I'm thinking that it may change more things than people realize.  Yes, some people will leave.  That was inevitable as soon as they showed the initial teaser video.  People act like WG doesn't know that there will be some losses.  It's their prerogative to change their game and the target audience for same.  We can either join the new audience, or walk away as part of the old.  Which one it will be for me, six months from now, I don't know, but I'll take the ride to find out.  

YMMV.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts
25 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

When everyone points to a single YouTube video as evidence when asked, yes, that makes you a stupid sheep.

Because of course it's just one single video that caused all the questions and concerns... no other videos, no other CCs, no one played TST or PST, no one has looked at the specs on AA or aircraft... nope, it was all one video,

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,805 posts
6,212 battles
23 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Because of course it's just one single video that caused all the questions and concerns... no other videos, no other CCs, no one played TST or PST, no one has looked at the specs on AA or aircraft... nope, it was all one video,

Your opinion has been made obvious over the last weeks.  "It's too hard, so we shouldn't try" seems to be the prevailing opinion among you folks.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,265 posts
4 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

Your opinion has been made obvious over the last weeks.  "It's too hard, so we shouldn't try" seems to be the prevailing opinion among you folks.

You think we're against this rework because it's "too hard"? 

Where would you even get that notion? 

First it's "you're all afraid of change", then it's "you're all afraid to lose your easy mode" *,  then it's "you're all trolls and haters", then it's "you're all sheep", then it's "you all just think it's too hard so why even try".  The shopping list of lazy ad hom nonsense has nothing to do with anything real, it's just people with no real argument throwing whatever kneejerk mud they can come up with hoping something sticks. 

* (sometimes even said by those who also claim the changes "have to happen" because the old interface is "tool hard")

Wargaming never tried the hard thing, they dithered and neglected and procrastinated and dumped sales gimmicks in the mix, and then said "screw it" and threw away the old interface that they'd played such a hand in making unpopular by those very actions or lack thereof.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[EQRN]
Members
717 posts
10,234 battles

I can’t honestly say I like what I’ve seen of the rework, but it is more approachable than RTS mode for me.  I like this game, I want it to be around for awhile and in general will support WG in this rework endeavor, even if I don’t play CVs for awhile.  I have 15 ships to grind, playing CV is simply bottom of my priority regardless of what was being done.

What gets my goat, and why I’ve been somewhat acerbic in the doom and gloom posts is the self-fulfilling prophecy aspect.  Players are going to work against the rework actively or passively (quitting for 3 months as one would say) and then looking at the result and say, “see, toldya”.  Well of course the rework fails, you wanted it to fail and you did what you could to make it fail.

Sign in to follow this