You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sparviero

Did WG give up on the CA/CL reimagining and IFHE dynamic changes?

94 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,016 posts
11,522 battles

I think the CV rework is sucking out the resources, so it's on the back burner

but if WG wants to rework IFHE, they should just remove the skill and set the penetration of the shell to what they think it should be.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 8

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
1,247 posts
63 battles
5 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

WG can only have so many irons in the ...... fire?

I just don’t want to be so focused on the right hand that I miss what the left hand is doing. 

Devs have already stated 3 patches of chaos for CVs. The yeomans work is done and it is about the great Balans(tm) act now. If the forums already burning might as well throw in the kitchen sink while no one is looking.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
3,523 posts
1,668 battles
1 minute ago, Sparviero said:

I just don’t want to be so focused on the right hand that I miss what the left hand is doing. 

Devs have already stated 3 patches of chaos for CVs. The yeomans work is done and it is about the great Balans(tm) act now. If the forums already burning might as well throw in the kitchen sink while no one is looking.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Might not even be noticed.

Yeah, right.

[5BS]
Members
5,930 posts
16 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Or is this still the next 2019 iceberg?:cap_haloween:

Almost certainty coming, as CA's are in (baring a few examples like Roon/Hinde and Moskva) a so-so place compared to their CL cousins. When it's coming? Well considering that would be a major rework, and the CV rework was announced what? Q3 17'? So probably early 2020.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,438 posts
2,295 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Almost certainty coming, as CA's are in (baring a few examples like Roon/Hinde and Moskva) a so-so place compared to their CL cousins. When it's coming? Well considering that would be a major rework, and the CV rework was announced what? Q3 17'? So probably early 2020.

not to mention the upcoming RU BBs

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
1,247 posts
63 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

Well I’m not sure when they received the Cypriot directive to combine pc/console CV gameplay instead of balancing the RTS style play. 

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
5,930 posts
Just now, Ace6steel said:

not to mention the upcoming RU BBs

Two extremely different groups; the balance team is a team of code monkey's. The new ships are done by mappers and artists. The resource usages barely, if at all overwrap.

[5BS]
Members
5,930 posts
Just now, Sparviero said:

Well I’m not sure when they received the Cypriot directive to combine pc/console CV gameplay instead of balancing the RTS style play. 

You know the consoles aren't getting CV's as of this moment right? That the CV Rework has [edited] all to do with it? And fyi, the RT*T* style play of the current CV''s is 1) the worst RTT (or RTS) ever made, worse than Tom Clancy's Endwar. Worse than Halo Wars. Just abysmal, so to make that work on a console would be easy and 2) given the more limited computational power most consoles compared to PC Bretheran (and lower bandwidth allocation) it makes MORE sense for consoles to get the RTT style play anyway as it requires less communication between local servers and the WG server.

Alpha Tester
7,112 posts
3,722 battles
2 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Consoles aren't launching with CVs and the coding isn't even the same.

The game play is more like Battlestations! Midway which first appeared on PC in 2007.

There are only so many ways to control a CV, and the current control scheme was suggested all the way back in Alpha when people were initially debating if the RTS system was the way to go.

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
1,247 posts
63 battles

Not releasing with is not the same as not using my dear semantics brigade. :cap_like:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,965 posts
10,459 battles
24 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I think the CV rework is sucking out the resources, so it's on the back burner

but if WG wants to rework IFHE, they should just remove the skill and set the penetration of the shell to what they think it should be.

IFHE should have a much more drastic reduction or even removal of fire chance to make it a real choice between fires and damage instead of the current small reduction that is only noticeable over hundreds of matches.

12 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

5 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Consoles aren't launching with CVs and the coding isn't even the same.

The game play is more like Battlestations! Midway which first appeared on PC in 2007.

There are only so many ways to control a CV, and the current control scheme was suggested all the way back in Alpha when people were initially debating if the RTS system was the way to go.

Why do so may people think that the CV rework has anything to do with the console game? PC and console players will not be in the same games or even on the same servers, they have different teams.

• Cool 1

Members
1,442 posts
1,163 battles
15 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

You know the consoles aren't getting CV's as of this moment right? That the CV Rework has [edited] all to do with it? And fyi, the RT*T* style play of the current CV''s is 1) the worst RTT (or RTS) ever made, worse than Tom Clancy's Endwar. Worse than Halo Wars. Just abysmal, so to make that work on a console would be easy and 2) given the more limited computational power most consoles compared to PC Bretheran (and lower bandwidth allocation) it makes MORE sense for consoles to get the RTT style play anyway as it requires less communication between local servers and the WG server.

Ah, the old silly line.

The rework is directly related to the console release. The future state of the games will want to be as close as possible to each other. It makes excellent business and game balancing sense to use information from changing the PC game as part of the console release strategy.

WG isn't dumb...they have connected the two projects. If they haven't...then I revise my statement above about the intelligence of WG.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,322 posts
2,856 battles

What are people hoping to get out of changes to how IFHE works?

[5BS]
Members
5,930 posts
7 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

WG isn't dumb...they have connected the two projects. If they haven't...then I revise my statement above about the intelligence of WG.

It's being done by two different studios in their system so take that for whatever you will.

[NGA]
Members
1,574 posts
8,745 battles
3 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

What are people hoping to get out of changes to how IFHE works?

I imagine BBs want to stop being penned by destroyers entirely (which won't happen since every DD, except Jutland and Daring, has the minimal 19mm of pen needed to damage the super structure) and are hoping their 32mm plating will become immune to 6" guns again.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
1,247 posts
63 battles

It’s supposed to be two separate departments as with wot and wot blitz. However the popular theory had been commonality where possible. Now of course new experts say otherwise. So who knows.  

I’m more interested with what is happening to cruisers at this point. I played the PTS and my concern was dialed down a couple of notches. The PTS gameplay looks much more console peasant friendly when I consider my friends who use consoles. The tuning is stated to be dependent on live server results. 

Divergent playstyles for various cruisers and how the fallout will probably extend to destroyer spammy bois is higher on my radar atm. 

[WOLF4]
Members
1,322 posts
2,856 battles
Just now, JediMasterDraco said:

I imagine BBs want to stop being penned by destroyers entirely (which won't happen since every DD, except Jutland and Daring, has the minimal 19mm of pen needed to damage the super structure) and are hoping their 32mm plating will become immune to 6" guns again.

Not this BB. They gotta have damage some how. Relying on fires as the only damage would be silly.

• Cool 2

[NGA]
Members
1,574 posts
8,745 battles
2 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Not this BB. They gotta have damage some how. Relying on fires as the only damage would be silly.

And you've just become my favorite BB main. But seriously, just look at all the threads on the forums asking for fire damage, HE damage, or torpedoes to be nerfed. Admittedly the DD mafia agitates sometimes, but I've not really seen much out of them lately outside the requests for radar to stop going through islands. And those who main cruisers seem to be fairly satisfied even if the game mechanics (specifically overmatch) tend to turn them into XP piñatas for a lot of BBs.

• Cool 1

Members
3,523 posts
1,668 battles
1 minute ago, JediMasterDraco said:

And those who main cruisers seem to be fairly satisfied even if the game mechanics (specifically overmatch) tend to turn them into XP piñatas for a lot of BBs.

New AA hasn't gone live yet.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,322 posts
2,856 battles
4 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

And you've just become my favorite BB main. But seriously, just look at all the threads on the forums asking for fire damage, HE damage, or torpedoes to be nerfed. Admittedly the DD mafia agitates sometimes, but I've not really seen much out of them lately outside the requests for radar to stop going through islands. And those who main cruisers seem to be fairly satisfied even if the game mechanics (specifically overmatch) tend to turn them into XP piñatas for a lot of BBs.

I think peoples issue with IFHE stems not from DD's but high RoF cruisers. But i dunno what to suggest there either. No IFHE for cruisers puts them too far back in damage. So...yeah. I'd love to see some of WG proposals. See what they are thinking.

Edited by xalmgrey

[NGA]
Members
1,574 posts
8,745 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

New AA hasn't gone live yet.

Yeah, should be interesting since I foresee at least some cruisers deciding to drop AFT since now it just increases the DPM of medium- and long-range AA by 20% instead of increasing the range of all guns. I'd prefer picking up Manual AA in that situation.

Alpha Tester
7,112 posts
3,722 battles
2 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Not releasing with is not the same as not using my dear semantics brigade. :cap_like:

No one suggested CVs weren't being released on consoles. 

The main point is simply that the system being simple enough to work on consoles doesn't mean that it was done because of consoles.

The rework was going to move away from RTS, and as such it wasn't going to look much different than what we ended up with.

It's similar to ships, it's similar to Battlestations!, it's similar to every arcade style game where you can control aircraft I can think of since 3D became main stream.

The only game I can recall doing it much differently was a game for the PS1, and CVs were pretty terrible in the game to control, and it wouldn't have been better on PC.

The Alpha for the CV rework was testing in 2017,  before the Console game ever began development.

[NGA]
Members
1,574 posts
8,745 battles
Just now, xalmgrey said:

I think peoples issue with IFHE stems not from DD's but high RoF cruisers. But i dunno what to suggest there either. No IFHE for cruisers puts them too far back in damage. So...yeah. I'd love to see some of WG proposals. See what they are thinking.

It's not all cruisers. After all, 8" gun heavy cruisers can pen 32mm without IFHE (Des Moines says hi). The only ones that really benefit from it are the Russians (except Moskva and the super-cruisers) and the US CL line.