You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CorvusBB39

Premium ships for training

25 comments in this topic

[LRM]
Members
398 posts
7,299 battles

Having played for more than two years now I've decided to get serious about training commanders.  The highest I've got are a couple 13-point Russian skippers.  I want to make sure I grok the whole subject of using Premiums for training.

• A commander moved onto a Prem suffers no penalty in using his mad skilz right away.
  • Furthermore, due to the 50% XP boost there's a 50% boost to his commander points earned.  Signals and camo can boost this even higher.
  • If he is moved back to the original ship he came from, there is still no penalty.
  • If he moves onto a different ship, a penalty in using the skills is levied, which can be reduced by spending silvers or eliminated by spending doubloons.
  • It is probably best to put the original commander of the premium on the beach for a while and recruit a new commander for the vacated ship so it can limp along in their previous captain's absence, unless you like spending those silvers and dubs for the penalty.
  • If possible, the same class of ship should be chosen.  Otherwise you have a DD skipper wandering around his temporary BB wondering where in the hell his torpedoes are, unless he's German.  A commander off of a tier VIII DD on a tier III trainer DD might not match up optimally, but it will be close enough.

Are these all correct?

Going full geek mode, I've drawn up a spreadsheet with all the premiums listed and placed a trainee on each one (well, except Varyag) with where's he's from and his current level.  Also, the premium's original commander is listed for restoration because I kind of forget.  I'm making more pages with the roster for each nation along with their permanent skippers and their current rank, plus the guys in reserve.  It's taking a while.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
1,636 posts

tl;dr answer: If you want RU DD captains, get a Leningrad. For RU cruisers get a Molotov (unless you're lucky like me and have the Micky K).

Also, there is no cost or penalty for moving a commander TO a premium ship, unless you want to re-spec him/her (I love my Dasha captains).

Personally, I like to complete their training to full 19 points before moving them to tech tree botes.

[WOLF5]
Members
640 posts
22,688 battles
14 minutes ago, CorvusBB39 said:

Having played for more than two years now I've decided to get serious about training commanders.  The highest I've got are a couple 13-point Russian skippers.  I want to make sure I grok the whole subject of using Premiums for training.

• A commander moved onto a Prem suffers no penalty in using his mad skilz right away. Correct
  • Furthermore, due to the 50% XP boost there's a 50% boost to his commander points earned.  Signals and camo can boost this even higher.Not sure where you're getting the 50% boost, but since a premium ship comes with perm camo, you get a bonus there. You will also have another ship that can get the first win bonus of the day. Flags work the same as they do on a tech tree ship. Some premium ships do have a built in multiplier for credits/xp but it's not 50% nor has WG disclosed what they are. 
  • If he is moved back to the original ship he came from, there is still no penalty. Correct
  • If he moves onto a different ship, a penalty in using the skills is levied, which can be reduced by spending silvers or eliminated by spending doubloons. Correct but remember you can move him over to a premium ship to finish retraining him. 
  • It is probably best to put the original commander of the premium on the beach for a while and recruit a new commander for the vacated ship so it can limp along in their previous captain's absence, unless you like spending those silvers and dubs for the penalty. Depends on how many skill points came on the original premium ship. If he's more than a 3 pointer, it's worth moving him immediately over to a tech tree ship then finishing his retraining on the premium ship and then using both ships to build his captain points quicker
  • If possible, the same class of ship should be chosen.  Otherwise you have a DD skipper wandering around his temporary BB wondering where in the hell his torpedoes are, unless he's German.  A commander off of a tier VIII DD on a tier III trainer DD might not match up optimally, but it will be close enough. Sort of. The commander wouldn't be optimal, but since you're just using a premium ship to double up on the first win bonuses, it's not that much of a factor. 

Are these all correct?

Going full geek mode, I've drawn up a spreadsheet with all the premiums listed and placed a trainee on each one (well, except Varyag) with where's he's from and his current level.  Also, the premium's original commander is listed for restoration because I kind of forget.  I'm making more pages with the roster for each nation along with their permanent skippers and their current rank, plus the guys in reserve.  It's taking a while.

Personally, I don't have any commanders dedicated to a premium ship UNLESS that premium requires a unique build. Remember any tech tree captain can command a  premium ship with out any reduction of skill but a premium captain cannot command a tech tree ship fully until he is fully retrained. 

[CK5]
Members
903 posts
7,911 battles

Another good rule of thumb is to never have a captain whose speciality is a premium ship.  Always try to specialize in a tech tree ship and then move your captain to a premium ship for training and/or just to use his skills.  That way, every captain is available to use in multiple ships. 

Edit:  essentially ninja'd by h9k_a.

Edited by PrairiePlayer
  • Cool 1

[CUTE]
Members
2,235 posts
9,799 battles

Another thing to keep in mind is the higher tier the premium, the higher the average xp gain.

[FF]
Members
76 posts
2,333 battles

You also get elite xp on 19point captains...use to 200k to speed it up if you swap them and requires retraining....and if you have enough elite xp built up use that to finish the retraining. You can get mad captian xp in scenarios...I used the sims to get my USN light cruiser captian to 19...at 60k+ capt exp per match it wasnt hard....you can do much better than that if your a good skipper and not a potato like me...

unknown-27.png

Members
21,172 posts
5,686 battles
35 minutes ago, CorvusBB39 said:

It is probably best to put the original commander of the premium on the beach for a while and recruit a new commander for the vacated ship so it can limp along in their previous captain's absence, unless you like spending those silvers and dubs for the penalty.

Depends. If the premium commander has several skill points when purchased, it's good to re-use him somewhere. I use mine for lower-tier "keeper" ships, where the captain has moved up.

And not really necessary to recruit a new captain for the vacated ship, just put the captain back in when you want to play the ship. By leaving that ship vacant and switching back and forth, you can double up on first win bonuses.

[SFBG]
[SFBG]
Members
1,580 posts
8,164 battles

I think it's all been well said by the posters above....  Just adding my +1 for using the word  "grok"  in a sentence. :Smile_veryhappy:

And another +1 for making a spreadsheet..I keep spreadsheets for all my ships and captains... :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,147 posts
9,444 battles

To expand on @redneck1776's point.  It's very useful to push a single commander to 19 points.  Don't spread your effort over multiple commanders.  Use your signals, premium time and premium ships in Ops to maximize the EXP you get.  Choose the commander and ship you want to get done first and spend most of your battles with that commander.  You can then 'farm' EXP from that commander that can be transferred to quickly get other commanders up to 19 pts.  It's a snowball effect.  Once you have one 19 pt commander the second one comes pretty quickly after that.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
8,759 posts
5,911 battles
54 minutes ago, CorvusBB39 said:

Furthermore, due to the 50% XP boost there's a 50% boost to his commander points earned.  Signals and camo can boost this even higher.

Captain XP bonuses are calculated on base XP (or premium Base XP for those with premium time), not ship XP. However the XP the ship earns over and above base XP is then added to that total, and every little bit helps over the long term.

For example, if you have a 1000 base XP game (to keep the math simple) and you are running a 250% commander XP camo (e.g. Restless Fire), you will get an extra 2500 captain XP. Were you flying a Zulu Hotel flag? That's 50% of 1000, so another 500 captain XP.  Got a Dragon flag? 333% of 1000 is 3300. That's 6300 captain XP. Let's ignore clan bonuses for simplicity, but that gives you a little shave extra.

If all this is for the first win of the day, then your ship XP is 1.5X base, and the extra 500 XP also gets added on. Add any other ship XP bonuses that you may be carrying.

So the trick is to run captain XP-boosting flags and camo for the tech tree ship the captain is in plus any premiums you can assign him/her to, grab that first win of the day in each ship and then shift the captain into the next ship for its win of the day. By all means keep playing after that, but the best bang for the buck is to stop mounting flags after the first win on each ship, unless you have so many it doesn't matter. Take your time and pace yourself.

Captain XP always builds up at least as fast as ship XP and usually faster. I see that you are in a clan, so you will have a 5% clan bonus to start with.

ETA: @ClassicLib makes an important point in the post above mine. You MUST focus your efforts, get the first one, use him to help the second, and so on.

In addition, events like Space Battles and the various Halloween things offer 19 point captains on loan, and you get to keep all the elite captain XP they generate, so spam those like crazy whenever they happen. That can make a HUGE difference; I ground out almost half a million captain XP in Twilight Battles and Halloween as a side-effect of my chase for FXP for the Musashi, because a lot of the special Draconic flags boost both free and captain XP, and those games were VERY lucrative if you stacked flags and pulled off a good win.

Once you have a few 19 pointers of your own, you should always have at least one you can take into battle and that's when the elite captain XP really starts to stack up.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF6]
Members
810 posts
6,972 battles
50 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

tl;dr answer: If you want RU DD captains, get a Leningrad. For RU cruisers get a Molotov (unless you're lucky like me and have the Micky K).

Personally I would just go with whichever of the 2 you are most comfortable with.  Russian Cruisers and Destroyers use enough of the same skills that one should be able to put the captains from either line in either ship.  My 19 point Kiev captain uses the Okhotnik, Kutuzov, and Molotov just fine.
EDIT:  And yes, go for just 1 highly trained 19 point captain to start.  Once you get the first the second is half as difficult and the third is a quarter. I now have three of them and don't anticipate ever using another half trained captain or paying doubloons to retrain ever again.

Edited by galspanic

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
32 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Once you have one 19 pt commander the second one comes pretty quickly after that.

I think it is worth suggesting when selecting who will be your first 19 point captain, select one from the fleet with most premiums you own. Because once you have the 19 point, they can hop from premium to premium getting as many first win bonuses as they can for the day.

The trickle down effect from that is quiet astonishing, especially when you liberally use your economic flags and camos

• Cool 1

[SFBG]
[SFBG]
Members
1,580 posts
8,164 battles
46 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

The trickle down effect from that is quiet astonishing, especially when you liberally use your economic flags and camos

I'll second this, especially when doing Clan battles...Even with our 46% average WR, I still rack up 150,000+ in commander XP, using flags and camos.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,466 posts
7,619 battles
2 hours ago, CorvusBB39 said:

Are these all correct?

Yes, but you left out one thing for efficient captain management:

When you acquire the new tech tree ship, and you've decided to move the commander up, assign that captain to the new ship right away, enable retraining to that ship, then select from your retraining options (500 doubloons for 100% retraining, 200,000 credits for 50%, or bargain basement for 0%). Then, put him on the premium ship as you suggest. Because, if you assign him straightaway to the premium ship, you're not initiating any retraining. You're building his XP/skills to be sure, but retraining to the new destination ship is delayed.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,033 posts
4,669 battles
1 hour ago, MG1962 said:

I think it is worth suggesting when selecting who will be your first 19 point captain, select one from the fleet with most premiums you own. Because once you have the 19 point, they can hop from premium to premium getting as many first win bonuses as they can for the day.

Would you not also utilize this technique while grinding him up to 19 points?

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Would you not also utilize this technique while grinding him up to 19 points?

Of course I was more thinking ahead to the step after you get that 19 point captain. 

[WOLF1]
Members
4,002 posts
3 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Another good rule of thumb is to never have a captain whose speciality is a premium ship.  Always try to specialize in a tech tree ship and then move your captain to a premium ship for training and/or just to use his skills.  That way, every captain is available to use in multiple ships. 

Edit:  essentially ninja'd by h9k_a.

I think the only captains I have specifically for premiums are one for Atlanta, as it's a special build, and Massachusetts, as it's a different build than any other US BB.  

[WOLFC]
Members
823 posts
7,626 battles
4 hours ago, CorvusBB39 said:
  • If he moves onto a different ship, a penalty in using the skills is levied, which can be reduced by spending silvers or eliminated by spending doubloons.
  •  

I don't think I saw one point on this specifically addressed; if so, my apologies.  When a captain is moved to a new ship, his skills are

• inactive, if it is an on/off skill (i.e. Priority Target)
  • reduced by a percentage (all I know of is 50%) for others (i.e. Demo Expert)

You DO NOT reduce the penalty with silver, you reduce the retraining time by 50%

and yes, Gold reduces it by 100%, i.e. completes retraining

[ARGSY]
Members
8,759 posts
5,911 battles
3 hours ago, galspanic said:

Personally I would just go with whichever of the 2 you are most comfortable with.  Russian Cruisers and Destroyers use enough of the same skills that one should be able to put the captains from either line in either ship.  My 19 point Kiev captain uses the Okhotnik, Kutuzov, and Molotov just fine.
EDIT:  And yes, go for just 1 highly trained 19 point captain to start.  Once you get the first the second is half as difficult and the third is a quarter. I now have three of them and don't anticipate ever using another half trained captain or paying doubloons to retrain ever again.

The same goes for the British - Priority Target, Last Stand, Superintendent (for smoke, hydro, and heals where applicable) and Concealment make a pretty good compromise across both types. Just putting it out there for any RN mains who read this thread at some stage.

2 hours ago, MG1962 said:

This is also good advice.

2 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

And from the King of Operations @Lightninger

unknown.png?width=1084&height=610

Holy mother of Jesus, that has to be some sort of record. It's also an excellent example of how the various XP and captain XP bonuses stack up.

BTW, hover your mouse over the green FXP total in game and you get to see the composition of that too.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
474 posts
5,375 battles
4 hours ago, CorvusBB39 said:

Are these all correct?

yeah. i think you got the basics.... 

additional:

• Build your Commander XP reserve with WG events that provide 19Pt Captains. 
  • When jumping a captain to a new tech tree ship consider your options!, captains with less than 12 pts, consider using silver to train 1/2 way, then finish training with elite com. XP
  • Sail your commander twice!, once in the tech tree, then in the premium...
  • use flags, and camo to expedite the process, even on premium ships.  

[WAG]
Members
491 posts
8,724 battles

The best way to level up is to have more than one premium ship you can play the captain in, and take advantage of daily first win bonus. This works better in some lines that others. For example, there are six (if I remember correctly) USN BB that could share the same captain.

[WOLF6]
Members
810 posts
6,972 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The same goes for the British - Priority Target, Last Stand, Superintendent (for smoke, hydro, and heals where applicable) and Concealment make a pretty good compromise across both types. Just putting it out there for any RN mains who read this thread at some stage.

Agreed.  My first 19 pointer was a Fiji captain who also rolled with my Campbelltown ($3) when I first started and then the Duke of York (free), Nelson (free), Warspite (free) and Cossack ($.99) as I got those in Wargaming missions.  They've given away a lot of RN ships since I started and they all seem to be happy with Priority Target, Last Stand, Superintendent, and Concealment.  I think the other 9 points are just gunnery stuff so that's all good too.  

[LRM]
Members
398 posts
7,299 battles
On 1/8/2019 at 10:11 AM, MG1962 said:

Oooh!  Good idea, especially since the free training points are spendable by any nation.  I have no French Navy premiums yet.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:48 AM, galspanic said:

Once you get the first the second is half as difficult and the third is a quarter. I now have three of them and don't anticipate ever using another half trained captain or paying doubloons to retrain ever again.

Kinda like I'm working on my second $-million as I've read it's much easier than the first and I've given up on that.  :Smile_coin:

h9k_a I think you're right:  The 50% the commander makes is due to the premium camo on the ship, not baked into the ship itself..  I've never replaced the original premium camo because why would I?