Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Good ships?

13 comments in this topic

Members
308 posts
6,160 battles

just bought 5 santa crates and got a kidd and a Kamikaze. Can anybody give me the rundown on these 2 dd's? Worth the money? TIA

[SPTR]
Members
26,448 posts
11,799 battles

Both of these destroyers are very capable warships Kamikaze is basically the Minekaze in her glory days back when the game was released stealth rapid firing torp platform and Kidd is a fletch and benson chucked into the mix the 2 ships that I would describe as the absolute pinnacle of the US DD line, cap dueling gunboat DDs.

Edited by Rolkatsuki

[FML]
Members
2,250 posts
11,446 battles

Both are solid ships. 

The Kamikaze is an excellent destroyer due to its fast, hard-hitting and quick reloading torpedos on an extremely stealthy platform.  Its a seal-clubber that really teaches you how to do well in IJN torpedo destroyers.  Its a nightmare to face as a low-tier battleship in particular.  

The Kidd is more of a cap contester with endurance in the form of a heal, but it only has one torpedo launcher - so you rely on your guns more than other USN destroyers.  Its a challenge to face a well-played Kidd that - late game - can keep coming back at you again and again.  

Good luck! 

Edit: suffice to say, I'd be very happy with that haul from just 5 Santa crates. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,303 posts
15,519 battles

Enjoy they are both good DDs

Some reviews on both ships

Kamikaze:

Kidd:

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
1,636 posts

Can't comment on the Kami, but Kidd is a very strong gunfighter.

She gives up half of Fletcher's TT in exchange for world-class DD AA which comes in handy dealing with weakened CV squads trying to perma-spot you.

IMHO, Kidd is teh gudbote.

Members
676 posts
5,656 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

just bought 5 santa crates and got a kidd and a Kamikaze. Can anybody give me the rundown on these 2 dd's? Worth the money? TIA

Community contributors are great, free resources for learning about new ships and how to best play them.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,444 posts
7,924 battles

The Kidd surprises the unaware CV player that has his planes hovering over it.  It is a good gunboat DD.  Torps are just an afterthought that can be used to mop up unsuspecting boats in key situations when they present themselves.

The Kamikaze is just a fun topedo boat.  The torps reload fast so you always seem to have a set ready to go.  

[BNZAI]
Members
245 posts
4,140 battles

Kamikaze is crazy good. Fast, stealthy, agile, with fast reloading torpedos with decent range and good damage for the tier. Her guns are not great but not unusable in a pinch either. She is pretty much the ideal torpedo boat and there is a good reason she is not sold normally anymore.

[H_]
Members
1,484 posts

You did well !  Now, they are two radically different platforms to use !  As said above, use them those ways and you'll have a blast !

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,839 posts
4,849 battles

The Kidd is worth it for the virtue of being tier 8 premium alone - tier 8 prems just reel in lots of silver.

The Kidd is concealment-creeped by Lightning and Cossack but otherwise a solid performer. Just give it a captain with CE and perhaps PT and it's good to go (I never run mine with optimal captain, opting to grind elite EXP with my carrier captain).

[ARGSY]
Members
8,759 posts
5,911 battles
5 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I would be very happy with that outcome if I were you. You've done well.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,535 posts
14,021 battles

Great haul! Now if you knock off the snowflakes that'll get you 300 coal and 200 steel.

Sign in to follow this