You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Blorgh2017

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo...!!

9 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Members
5,275 posts
5,072 battles

Nah, I'm just kidding with the overreaction in the title, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

Still, as a long time fan of the Aliens franchise, the news is disappointing. The long awaited sequel to Alien Isolation is... a mobile game that may be a clone of FNAF? I mean, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I got from this short trailer.

Yes, I do play two mobile games myself (Azur Lane is one of them), and there're certainly GOOD mobile games in the market (AL is certainly one of them). However, this is suppose to be the sequel to the venerable Alien Isolation. This feels like the whole Diablo Immortal shenanigans all over again, albeit with less fanfare/outrage, lel.

I just learned the news from today's Angry Joe Show (please pardon few... colorful words in the video):

Spoiler

He's surprisingly tame in this video, lul.

Well, not all hopes seem to be lost, as there is an another Alien game being separately developed for PC & console... hopefully it's nothing like the maligned Aliens: Colonial Marines... and more like the classic Alien vs Predator FPS games from late 90's/early 2000's.

• Angry 1

[WOLF8]
Members
5,275 posts
5,072 battles

More info and details from TheQuartering's video about it.

Amen at 00:13! And at 5:15.

Anyhow, this is nothing like Azur Lane, which I believe is actually a pretty good mobile game, Alien Blackout looks to be just a cash grab by AAA publishers taking a beloved and venerable franchise and turning it into a cash cow. What a way to spit on the face of loyal fans. A 5 dollar mobile game that you can pre-order. Wow. And the game looks like it could just be a copy cat of Five Nights at Freddie's.

Riiight... :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Blorgh2017

[SOUP]
Privateers, Supertester, Modder
8,496 posts

And which A-list company thought this was a good idea? (Aside from Fox Entertainment, they'll try anything, mixed success there)

Beta Testers
10,110 posts

Game companies are attracted to mobile because its the new gold rush.   Over 50% of revenue generated by the game industry is now on mobile.  That's bigger than both PC and console alone.  And they are predicting by the end of 2019, it might go up to 60%, and one more year after that, about 70%.  And just a few years ago, mobile game revenue was only about 20%.  In 2017, more than 1.5 billion smartphones are sold.  That's far more than every PC plus every console sold that year.    Then all these AAA studios and publishers keep hearing the news how much money Pokemon Go or Fate Grand Order has made.  So they salivate, and want some of that pie.   But they want minimal developer investment, and slap some brand name franchise on it, and they think people would automatically flock to buying those games.  

Rude awakening.  These AAA studios will never get that slice they dreamed off.  The mobile game world is a very very different world.  It has its first movers, it has built its own wall, its own hits, its own champions, its own specialized developers and design skills,  and within this bowl, it is also extremely competitive.   There are companies that have become very good in doing what they do.   When A list companies take on the mobile world, they quickly find themselves on the D list.  

The only good mobile game that ever came out from a triple A studio was Blizzard's Heartstone.   But the core development team has already left the company in a mass departure to set up their own company.   No wonder Activision Blizzard has to turn to NetEase to develop Diablo Immortal.  As for Heartstone, its fortunes have taken a dive.  

Edited by Eisennagel

[SOUP]
Privateers, Supertester, Modder
8,496 posts
5 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

Game companies are attracted to mobile because its the new gold rush.

This is true, games like Azur Lane and Kancolle are clear evidence for this. And I have fleetmates who play Girls Frontline religiously. And games like Honkai Impact 3rd really showcase what is possible on the platform now. It could very well just be a case of us now being the dinosaurs, the elderly politician that complains to a tech CEO about a product that isn't even his work. But like the jump from Gameboy to Playstation Portable, this is probably the next developments and the new generation of consoles.

As for FNAFLIEN, I'll wait and see. Alien has had a really mixed bag when it comes to games, a few rare gems shining through the mud, maybe this one will surprise us

[WOLF8]
Members
5,275 posts
5,072 battles
12 hours ago, Eisennagel said:

Game companies are attracted to mobile because its the new gold rush.   Over 50% of revenue generated by the game industry is now on mobile.  That's bigger than both PC and console alone.  And they are predicting by the end of 2019, it might go up to 60%, and one more year after that, about 70%.  And just a few years ago, mobile game revenue was only about 20%.  In 2017, more than 1.5 billion smartphones are sold.  That's far more than every PC plus every console sold that year.    Then all these AAA studios and publishers keep hearing the news how much money Pokemon Go or Fate Grand Order has made.  So they salivate, and want some of that pie.   But they want minimal developer investment, and slap some brand name franchise on it, and they think people would automatically flock to buying those games.  

Rude awakening.  These AAA studios will never get that slice they dreamed off.  The mobile game world is a very very different world.  It has its first movers, it has built its own wall, its own hits, its own champions, its own specialized developers and design skills,  and within this bowl, it is also extremely competitive.   There are companies that have become very good in doing what they do.   When A list companies take on the mobile world, they quickly find themselves on the D list.  

The only good mobile game that ever came out from a triple A studio was Blizzard's Heartstone.   But the core development team has already left the company in a mass departure to set up their own company.   No wonder Activision Blizzard has to turn to NetEase to develop Diablo Immortal.  As for Heartstone, its fortunes have taken a dive.  

And this is exactly the reason why I am worried. I don't buy the rhetoric of some people (especially those mentioned in the videos that I posted) who believe that "mobile game = automatic trash," because there're indeed good mobile games in the market. But Alien Blackout certainly doesn't look like one. It just reeks of the AAA corporation slapping on a well-known IP onto some cheaply made joke of a game.

What I worry the most is how AB will still make some money, solely based on the IP alone, and we may never see a true proper sequel to Alien Isolation on PC & consoles. I mean, why would they make one, when a cheap cash cow mobile game is much more profitable? Doubly so, if AB fails. Back when Alien Isolation was in a limelight, the publisher had zero interest in any sequel. Because it didn't make the amount of money theu wanted. And if this cash cow knock off fails? I bet the corporate guys would say "Gee, the Alien franchise must be really dead" and it could all just go away. And thoughts like that makes me sad.

Fortunately, there is a separate Alien game in development for PC & console, so I guess that's one solace. I guess only time will tell.

Edited by Blorgh2017