You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Misguided "AFK" punishment is going to force me to quit WoWS for the forseeable future :(

115 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,636 posts

Logged on yesterday to discover I'd been kicked into co-op only mode.  Reason being, my unstable internet connection dropped me in several games in one day over the weekend.  The penalty games piled up, then when I logged yesterday on it was co-op only.

Played a couple of those. . . then my internet dropped me on the third one.

Logged off in disgust.

My internet comes and goes.  Sometimes it's great and I can string 15-20 games in a row without getting dropped.  Every once in a while it's bad like the other day.  At this point though, there's no guarantee I'll be able to string together enough games to get out of co-op jail, so I might just have to quit.   I've been looking around at other games I can play that don't require a stable internet connection - or where it doesn't really matter if the connection drops mid-game.

Sometime this year I'm going to move.  I'd be lying if I said that moving to a place with better internet service didn't factor into that.  So maybe eventually I'll be able to play regularly again.

It's a shame.  I love WoWS, and spend a ton of money on this game. . . but this ridiculous punishment for my unstable internet is going to force me to explore other options.

I wish they would get rid of this stupid rule.  I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with it.  As it is, it's going to cost them for quite a while one of their valuable paying contributors.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 12
  • Angry 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,300 battles

I mean why should the rest of the playerbase have to put up with people who randomly disconnect all the time?

Sounds like an ISP issue, not sure why you'd start here.

• Cool 27

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,636 posts
Just now, FlakKnight said:

I mean why should the rest of the playerbase have to put up with people who randomly disconnect all the time?

Sounds like an ISP issue, not sure why you'd start here.

Comcast basically can't fix it.  They've tried and are clueless.

[R-F]
Members
1,532 posts
8,992 battles

On one hand I feel for you and your poor internet connection.  I'm sure that sucks.

On the other hand, every time you drop out of a pvp match in the middle, you decrease the odds of your team winning, fairly dramatically in some cases.  So while it seems unfair to not let you play, it is also not fair to your teammates that your connection is that unreliable.

• Cool 13

[QQ7]
[QQ7]
Members
1,903 posts
6,875 battles

Your problem, not caused by the 23 other players in your match.  They still suffer the effects of your problem.  

• Cool 8

Members
33 posts
2,584 battles

That's a sad state of affairs and I wouldn't like it either, but what do you propose to solve the issue? It's not fair to punish you for a poor ISP, but it's not fair either for your teammates to have to deal with your crappy internet connection.

• Cool 1

[U571]
Members
1,958 posts
13,346 battles
2 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Sounds like it is time for a Different ISP.  I got tired of Charter and their dropping connections.  Went to AT&T, I have 45mb Uverse Line.  I see a drop in the internet either if the Modem dies or something happens at a substation (maybe once a year).

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,885 posts
3,995 battles

Sorry to hear your net sucks but what are the other guys on your team supposed to do with a ship missing? The only use a AFK ship has is a distraction for the enemy team to soak shots. Otherwise the snowball effect of losing your ship firepower wise has already been established.

Edited by xalmgrey

[R-F]
Members
1,532 posts
8,992 battles
3 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

Sounds like it is time for a Different ISP.  I got tired of Charter and their dropping connections.  Went to AT&T, I have 45mb Uverse Line.  I see a drop in the internet either if the Modem dies or something happens at a substation (maybe once a year).

Not all areas have multiple options for high speed internet.  At my house it's Comcast/Infinity or nothing.  AT&T Uverse is coming on but for my specific location what they can offer will not keep up with the gaming and streaming that my household does.  I keep an eye on it and if they start offering competitive speeds I'll give them a try.  

Fortunately Comcast does a better job keeping me connected than they do for OP.

[NGA]
Members
1,863 posts
9,704 battles

I feel your pain @TheDreadnought. Last year I had to quit playing because my old computer just kept crapping out on me. Fortunately, I got a new computer that runs better than my old one ever did and now I'm starting to overcome the initial deficit that using my old one caused.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
1,929 posts
1,431 battles
5 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Not all areas have multiple options for high speed internet.  At my house it's Comcast/Infinity or nothing.  AT&T Uverse is coming on but for my specific location what they can offer will not keep up with the gaming and streaming that my household does.  I keep an eye on it and if they start offering competitive speeds I'll give them a try.  

Fortunately Comcast does a better job keeping me connected than they do for OP.

Same here.  Either you pay for Charter/Spectrum, or you go through small wireless companies that offer 20 meg speeds at best.

[PVE]
Members
1,253 posts
12,404 battles

Have you considered mobile hotspot thru your phone?

That's how I play due to satellite internet being my only other option. 

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
13,464 posts
8,656 battles
20 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Logged on yesterday to discover I'd been kicked into co-op only mode.  Reason being, my unstable internet connection dropped me in several games in one day over the weekend.  The penalty games piled up, then when I logged yesterday on it was co-op only.

Played a couple of those. . . then my internet dropped me on the third one.

Logged off in disgust.

My internet comes and goes.  Sometimes it's great and I can string 15-20 games in a row without getting dropped.  Every once in a while it's bad like the other day.  At this point though, there's no guarantee I'll be able to string together enough games to get out of co-op jail, so I might just have to quit.   I've been looking around at other games I can play that don't require a stable internet connection - or where it doesn't really matter if the connection drops mid-game.

Sometime this year I'm going to move.  I'd be lying if I said that moving to a place with better internet service didn't factor into that.  So maybe eventually I'll be able to play regularly again.

It's a shame.  I love WoWS, and spend a ton of money on this game. . . but this ridiculous punishment for my unstable internet is going to force me to explore other options.

I wish they would get rid of this stupid rule.  I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with it.  As it is, it's going to cost them for quite a while one of their valuable paying contributors.

Unlike several other of the heartless jerks here, I sympathise with your position.

@Pigeon_of_War, surely it cannot be beyond WG's capabilities to program the server to apply a leave-battle penalty only and solely when the player DELIBERATELY REQUESTS RETURN TO PORT/EXIT BATTLE WHEN STILL ALIVE. Please pass this up to the powers that be.

• Boring 4

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
1,929 posts
1,431 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unlike several other of the heartless jerks here, I sympathise with your position.

@Pigeon_of_War, surely it cannot be beyond WG's capabilities to program the server to apply a leave-battle penalty only and solely when the player DELIBERATELY REQUESTS RETURN TO PORT/EXIT BATTLE WHEN STILL ALIVE. Please pass this up to the powers that be.

That won't really accomplish anything, as all someone would need to do to get around that is either unplug the internet cable, or shut off the wifi connection to their computer.

• Cool 4

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,922 posts
15,694 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't think they're heartless to say that an unstable connection really does have a negative impact on the other 23 players in the game with you. It sucks, but there's nothing WG can do about it except try to contain the ill effects of a bad connection.

As for only penalizing people who quit to port, it won't work because it's totally abusable. Ragequitters just pull the plug instead of quitting through a menu and avoid all penalties.

• Cool 5

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,300 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, I do not want to play with people who DC either.  Stop being selfish and saying your problems are worth 23 other people's time.

• Cool 5

[WGA]
Developers
1,124 posts
4,245 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I don't think they're heartless to say that an unstable connection really does have a negative impact on the other 23 players in the game with you. It sucks, but there's nothing WG can do about it except try to contain the ill effects of a bad connection.

As for only penalizing people who quit to port, it won't work because it's totally abusable. Ragequitters just pull the plug instead of quitting through a menu and avoid all penalties.

What this person said.

I sympathize with poor internet connections and it causing penalties, but the root cause of the issue was already stated by the OP, so they should work towards attacking that if it is within their power. 

• Cool 9

[SIDE]
Members
2,551 posts

Wireless hotspot thru cell phone.

Legit.

The pitch: Game uses very little data but benefits from signal strength of at least 2/4 bars. Latency has been sub 100ms almost all the time with some lag spikes in the 2-300ms range once in a while. 99% of the time the connection has been very playable for me. I’m on a 20gb month T-Mobile plan with an iPhone and play several hours every week at a remote location.

Caveats: I assume you have a decently powerful computer from which to play the game. It will only disconnect if the phone dies or the signal drops. Both are exceedingly rare incidents if you keep it plugged in and make sure no data using apps running on phone in background. Also disable windows update and close the goofy wargaming launcher window and the update app down in the corner after game starts. Lastly, you will want to run game patches over broadband WiFi connection. You aren’t likely to get the raw speed you want for large downloads from a tethered mobile phone and shiuldnt waste the data on it.

TLDR: look into using wireless hotspot off your phone. It works well for me.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
746 posts
26,987 battles
39 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

<snip<

<snip>

I've had ATT apply a firmware patch to my uverse router at 12am that kicked me off for about 3 minutes. Guess what, when it came back up and I logged back in, I was NOT penalized because the server recognized that I was able to get back on within a relatively short amount of time. That mechanic also applies to people that have had to reboot their computers/game when something locks up. If you're getting penalties assessed then when your system drops, it's off for an extended period of time. You're not going to find any multi-player on-line game that's going to let you be disconnected for 5+ minutes.

If comcast is that bad in your area then you need to start documenting every instance they drop, get on the phone and keep documenting each instance until they have to refund/rebate $ for each instance and they are giving your service for free. Once that occurs, then you may see that they will actually try to do something, especially if your neighbors start doing the same exact thing. 

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,975 battles
23 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

If comcast is that bad in your area then you need to start documenting every instance they drop, get on the phone and keep documenting each instance until they have to refund/rebate $ for each instance and they are giving your service for free. Once that occurs, then you may see that they will actually try to do something, especially if your neighbors start doing the same exact thing. 

Yeah, if I was getting that type of packet loss or whatever his issue is, I wouldn't be paying them w/o complaint.  

[WOLFB]
Members
2,829 posts
5,688 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

Have you run ping plotter I had the same issue with Comcast once and I sent them the ping plotter results and they where Abe to fix the issue. It took 2 weeks but it was fixed. 

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

Call them and tell them to either fix it or disconnect it. They just don't want to spend the time and money to fix it.

Get a supervisor if you need to. They did this to me, but I'm in the networking field and called them on their [edited].

[A_51]
Members
924 posts
21,310 battles

Try looking at it from the perspective of the other players on your team.  It's no fun losing games because you're a player down from the start.  Especially if this is an ongoing issue, it is inconsiderate in the extreme for you to join games without having a high degree of confidence you won't lose your connection.  I think your plan to leave the game for the time being is the right one.  There are plenty of very engaging single player games you can try. 

Edited by Seaneroo

[WOLFG]
Members
6,221 posts
4,084 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

Wireless hotspot thru cell phone.

Legit.

The pitch: Game uses very little data but benefits from signal strength of at least 2/4 bars. Latency has been sub 100ms almost all the time with some lag spikes in the 2-300ms range once in a while. 99% of the time the connection has been very playable for me. I’m on a 20gb month T-Mobile plan with an iPhone and play several hours every week at a remote location.

Caveats: I assume you have a decently powerful computer from which to play the game. It will only disconnect if the phone dies or the signal drops. Both are exceedingly rare incidents if you keep it plugged in and make sure no data using apps running on phone in background. Also disable windows update and close the goofy wargaming launcher window and the update app down in the corner after game starts. Lastly, you will want to run game patches over broadband WiFi connection. You aren’t likely to get the raw speed you want for large downloads from a tethered mobile phone and shiuldnt waste the data on it.

TLDR: look into using wireless hotspot off your phone. It works well for me.

I may have to use this.  I have a company phone that I have to use as a hotspot to download large pdf files all the time.

They don't really care how much I use.  They do care WHAT I use it on (but games aren't on the banned list).

[WOLFB]
Members
2,912 posts
12,151 battles

While I understand your position, if you know your internet is bad, you shouldn't keep playing. It happened to me several time and unless the issue is fixed after 3-5min, I just stop playing WOWs.