Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Massachusetts Monday - Main Guns or Secondaries

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,434
[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,403 posts
7,940 battles

File:USS Massachusetts.jpg

*pictured - USS Massachusetts at her permanent home in Fall River, MA taken in 2006*

USS Massachusetts captains, are your main guns or secondary batteries your main firepower?

As a South Dakota class battleship, she has powerful 16 inch (406mm) main battery guns capable of sending any sized vessel to the bottom of the ocean.

However she also has deadly secondary batteries that can turn any sea worthy warship to a watery grave as well.

If you have USS Massachusetts in your fleet, which gun crew claims the most destroyed warships?

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#massachusettsmonday

#anchorsaweigh

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,536 posts
10 battles

The main guns are still the primary weapon of choice. The secondaries while good are a situational weapon, if you charge in recklessly hoping to engage with secondaries you are dead. This ship requires a lot of patience and situational awareness to reach its full potential. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,677
[RLGN]
Members
11,470 posts
20,414 battles

Full secondary build; but as @UssIowaSailor said, tempered by being careful not to rush in too soon.

Common to focus the secondaries on one target, while firing at something else with the main battery. Same thing I do with pretty much any ship, depending on the strength of the ship’s secondaries.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
426
[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles

If you want a main gun focused MA, get an Alabama.  Secondaries or buy something else.

 

 

edit: speaking in the generic "you"  not the specific.

Edited by Hatework
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,536 posts
10 battles

It is funny but whenever I see the South Dakota ships or the North Carolina in real life I can easily tell the difference between the 16 inch 45 caliber guns to the Iowa's 16 inch 50's. I looks like someone cut the ends of the guns off. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[KRAB]
Members
859 posts
7,295 battles

The main guns do most of the direct damage, but the secondaries have the effect of dissuading destroyers or CQC CA/BBs (think Hipper or Bismarck) from closing or attempting flanking maneuvers as they begin to stack residual damage. It lets you stay in the fight longer compared to a NC or Alabama in the same spot. 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
2 minutes ago, Hatework said:

If you want a main gun focused MA, get an Alabama.  Secondaries or buy something else.

 

 

edit: speaking in the generic "you"  not the specific.

If you look at your best games in the Mass you will see that the secondaries contribute about 1/3 of the damage. They are an important part of its armament but not the main part. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
426
[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles
1 minute ago, UssIowaSailor said:

If you look at your best games in the Mass you will see that the secondaries contribute about 1/3 of the damage. They are an important part of its armament but not the main part. 

Hi, we havent met yet.  My names Hatework and i secondary spec all the things.  Ive even tested secondary builds on cruisers.  When Wargaming almost removed the secondary module, i was there, handing out pitchforks and torches.  I still keep a trebuchet pointed at Belarus in case they get any funny ideas.  All but one of my 19 point captains are secondary specced.

In short, im biased soooooo

lalalalala i cant hear you lalalala

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,499
[TBW]
Members
8,117 posts
14,832 battles

When I take her out, I never use my primary guns, secondaries only. NOT! Kind of a fail question.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
8 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Hi, we havent met yet.  My names Hatework and i secondary spec all the things.  Ive even tested secondary builds on cruisers.  When Wargaming almost removed the secondary module, i was there, handing out pitchforks and torches.  I still keep a trebuchet pointed at Belarus in case they get any funny ideas.  All but one of my 19 point captains are secondary specced.

In short, im biased soooooo

lalalalala i cant hear you lalalala

LOL I am with you on that. I think ALL battleships should have secondaries like the Mass, it would make the game a lot better because Battleship players would be more willing to get closer if their secondaries had a 10.6 to 12km range. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81
[TIMT]
Supertester
527 posts

Oh secondaries.  You can have some real fun sailing between two ships and letting your gunners go nuts!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,499
[TBW]
Members
8,117 posts
14,832 battles
Just now, Tieberion said:

Oh secondaries.  You can have some real fun sailing between two ships and letting your gunners go nuts!

Not with manual secondaries ya don't.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,313
[PHASE]
Members
4,933 posts
16,588 battles

Secondary's. Granted, having the NC and Alabama... it seems silly to outfit all three ships the same way.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,183
[RKLES]
Members
9,861 posts
11,690 battles
Just now, Hatework said:

Hi, we havent met yet.  My names Hatework and i secondary spec all the things.  Ive even tested secondary builds on cruisers.  When Wargaming almost removed the secondary module, i was there, handing out pitchforks and torches.  I still keep a trebuchet pointed at Belarus in case they get any funny ideas.  All but one of my 19 point captains are secondary specced.

In short, im biased soooooo

lalalalala i cant hear you lalalala

Lol you play like I do, I have even brawled CV vs CV and had BFT mounted mainly for that purpose. Let me tell you when a couple high tier CVs do that it gets everyone eating talking about it.

Have not been able to acquire Massachusetts yet though, despite always drooling over it every time I see one lol. And yes I totally agree that Secondary Build is the only way to go with that ship... :cap_haloween:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,133
[PVE]
Members
16,049 posts
10,655 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

File:USS Massachusetts.jpg

*pictured - USS Massachusetts at her permanent home in Fall River, MA taken in 2006*

USS Massachusetts captains, are your main guns or secondary batteries your main firepower?

As a South Dakota class battleship, she has powerful 16 inch (406mm) main battery guns capable of sending any sized vessel to the bottom of the ocean.

However she also has deadly secondary batteries that can turn any sea worthy warship to a watery grave as well.

If you have USS Massachusetts in your fleet, which gun crew claims the most destroyed warships?

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#massachusettsmonday

#anchorsaweigh

 

I have N. Carolina, Alabama and Massachusetts. I reset NC to secondaries and I'm going to make my permanent NC Cmdr have the following skills; PT, AR, BFT, AFT, (IFHE, MFCSA, PM). But I got Max Strauss, NC Cmdr, in a Halloween container, so he will be the survival buil;,PT, EM, BoS, FP, (AFT, AR, SI) and William Warren will be the secondary build above. NC and Mass have the secondary upgrade and Alabama has the AA upgrade. I mostly use the secondary Cmdr in Co-op and will use the survival Cmdr in PvP.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[NGA]
Members
1,863 posts
9,704 battles

I play her like I would most other secondary focused ships: Staying back weakening the enemy with my main battery, but prepared to lead a charge if my team is willing to push with me when the time is right.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
330
[TCNNA]
Members
1,034 posts
17,183 battles

In co-op is quite always a knife fight so secondary build for me (I only play co-op btw)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,527
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,333 battles
18 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

 

Memachusetts all the way (Full secondary IFHE build go go go ! ) 

 

tenor.gif

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
200
[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
915 posts
5,530 battles

It depends. If I have a mission for 500 secondary ribbons then I'll go into a coop match and load HE in the main guns for DDs that get close but otherwise never fire them and just watch the secondary ribbons roll in. In ranked I use the main guns for damage and my secondaries just unnerve my opponents.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
740 posts
9,262 battles

The Massachusetts is all about secondaries and the silly fun they are.  As someone else noted, if you are stacking skills/flags etc toward the main guns then you should really be sailing the Alabama.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
238 posts
10,476 battles

You need an 18 point captain to make the secondarys work, without the ship is pure crap. even with a 14 p captain you get 100+ secondary hits and about 10k dmg.

shot-19_01.08_14_49.04-0769.thumb.jpg.2a9a64e26f839a6d2d2e0ed37c473239.jpg

Edited by Indiox
added image for impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×