You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Why do people hide their Stats?

300 comments in this topic

[5BS]
Members
6,376 posts
4 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I have some pretty poor stats but have never considered hiding them, but given the number of people I see hiding them I am wondering if I should also.

People don't hide stats because they are bad; they hide them if they don't want to be targeted first by people using a MM Monitor. I know this because *I* do it; on both ends: I both hide my stats (and have for ~3 years now) to avoid being target first and I use MM Monitor to decide, based on opportunity of course, who to aim at first. Basically, if I see two ships broadside, one with 56% the other with 64%, I'm aiming at the 64% first.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,334 posts
2,947 battles
5 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I can relate to that.  After every battle I reflect, what happened (got killed in 3 minutes), what did I do wrong (rushed the cap with no support), what do I need to do next time (sit back, let the game develop, just back out of the cap if another DD is there - Ships win games not Caps...).

Then next game, it all goes out the window and the "Your not taking this cap from me" mentality takes over and I start the same process over again. :Smile_facepalm:

Sounds like you will be fine in the long run. You ask the right questions. Just need more experience playing. There's no real alternative to it. Your play will evolve. Mine does/is all the time. What i felt 1000 games ago is different by the next 1000.

Edited by xalmgrey

Beta Testers
236 posts
2,800 battles
4 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

Because regardless if people like it or not, stats are used as weapons in arguments.

Whether that's right or wrong is another story.

The OP I guess never has played World of Tanks.  

There are people that stat shame.  And in WoT, the ability to see other players' end game stats, also causes "unicomms" to stat shame when they believed a single player cost them a win.

In WoT, someone actually sent a PM to my son just because he has a 47% Win Rate.  Which to me is ridiculous.  Yeah, if you are a great player, you can carry more battles.  But a win or lose is also dependent of the other players on your team.

So, I do wish I could see more stats from other players in general with WoWs but the atmosphere they try to keep is to have less toxicity than the other game.  Players just don't see the need to post some stat banner in a signature.

[CUTER]
Beta Testers
191 posts
4,356 battles
5 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I can relate to that.  After every battle I reflect, what happened (got killed in 3 minutes), what did I do wrong (rushed the cap with no support), what do I need to do next time (sit back, let the game develop, just back out of the cap if another DD is there - Ships win games not Caps...).

Then next game, it all goes out the window and the "Your not taking this cap from me" mentality takes over and I start the same process over again. :Smile_facepalm:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Its something that you have to work on I guess. It doesn't come naturally to most people.

[CUTER]
Members
3,848 posts
17,498 battles
4 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Is it an embarrassment issue of having stats not deemed sufficient to offer a valid opinion?

Both, mostly. Good players don't hide their stats.

Edited by Preteen
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,102 posts
7,107 battles
1 hour ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

do as i say not as i do comes to mind.  if everyone hides their stats then all of a sudden mine look great.....

m6DmqDJ.png

actually not a bad idea...

• Funny 1

Members
21,832 posts
5,721 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Reason to hide is stat shaming.

For so.ereason people think that there stats matter and you cant have a point id your stats are low.

Meh, pretty much all those people think you can't have a point if your stats are hidden, what's the difference?

Members
21,832 posts
5,721 battles
25 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Basically, if I see two ships broadside, one with 56% the other with 64%, I'm aiming at the 64% first.

Not me, I assume that if the 64% shows me broadside, "IT'S A TRAP!!" :Smile_veryhappy:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,569 posts
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

Meh, pretty much all those people think you can't have a point if your stats are hidden, what's the difference?

The difference is that I get rent-free space in the stat-troll's head as they huff and fume about my hidden stats, AND I get them to show their true colors whenever they make a big fuss about it in the forums.  :Smile_glasses:

[5BS]
Members
6,376 posts
Just now, Skpstr said:

Not me, I assume that if the 64% shows me broadside, "IT'S A TRAP!!" :Smile_veryhappy:

All damage is good damage. Even a wall of overpens against anything but a RN BB/Cruiser is preferable to letting someone get away unpunished, and keeping the enemy off balance is preferable to even damage at times. I'm learning to love Le Terrible because she's probably the best rabbit in the game, and have caused wins while doing minimal damage because their entire team wasted every salvo trying to hit me.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
7,526 battles

:Smile_hiding:i really don't care about stats...but other do..(don't know why).  i'm sure their could be many reasons...but i could care less why they do.  for me, i'm in this for the fun...wither my stats are good or sub-par...i still don't give a crap.  and reasons why other players do...thats up to them.  why they use to be-little another player...is another subject for a thread.  

some time its hard to offer advice on something on this treads...and then they trolll your stats...and then see something they don't like.  and then they say..."your stats are crap...why should i listen to you?!" i don't hide mine...i think...i'm not sure i have not looked at mine for a while now, so i have no idea what it says about me. And for all you Trolls...i don't need you to be sending them to me either. 

[SIDE]
Members
2,015 posts
33 minutes ago, Preteen said:

Both, mostly. Good players don't hide their stats.

False. Many do. 

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,015 posts
10 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The difference is that I get rent-free space in the stat-troll's head as they huff and fume about my hidden stats, AND I get them to show their true colors whenever they make a big fuss about it in the forums.  :Smile_glasses:

Love it. Psy-ops ftw.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,840 posts
6,323 battles
2 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

False. Many do. 

Depends on your definition of good.

[CUTER]
Members
3,848 posts
17,498 battles

False. Many bad players do.

fixed that for you

[SIDE]
Members
2,015 posts
Just now, GE_Capital said:

Depends on your definition of good.

I suppose “good” can be subjective. I consider RC to be good and he explained why his are locked and how he uses unlocked stats to strategize his matches. I have read in other threads a number of other “good” players also lock their stats to counter RC’s strategy.

Personally I lock mine because 1) I can, 2) I like that it really bugs small people and 3) my beliefs on WR  are that it just doesn’t quantify very much (given the 123 billion variables from thousands of game in dozens of ships team up with thousands of different players) and most often it’s used for toxic reasons. 

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,840 posts
6,323 battles

I suppose “good” can be subjective. I consider RC to be good and he explained why his are locked and how he uses unlocked stats to strategize his matches. I have read in other threads a number of other “good” players also lock their stats to counter RC’s strategy.

Personally I lock mine because 1) I can, 2) I like that it really bugs small people and 3) my beliefs on WR  are that it just doesn’t quantify very much (given the 123 billion variables from thousands of game in dozens of ships team up with thousands of different players) and most often it’s used for toxic reasons. 

Thanks for clarifying.  

You have a definition of good that varies greatly from that which is valued by the competitive community (read: the best players).

Edited by GE_Capital

Members
47 posts
6,493 battles

Unless being an "I play only for fun" or "I don't give a **** to anything" player, using matchmaking monitor (or whatever alike) could vastly improve game experience. It brings a decent estimation about both the teammates and enemies, and helps players to decide their game play.

As someone playing a lot of CV games, I found MMM far more useful than identifying easy preys and hard foes. For example, I won't protect a 30k average damage DM from red Midway (but I would surely use its AA in fighters' fight). Or it would indicate how you could control the match if you have tasks other than simply winning.

Aside from CV, MMM could be highly useful to other ships too. We already know whether a stat-hiding, 17900, flagless shima is worthy of support and trust. And we can easily apply the same criterion on bigger ships to see whether we can expect support from them. The same judgement could be done on enemy team too. For those stats hiders, simply check their clan tags. Unless the hiders are from good clan, it's almost safe to say they do not have good stats.

With so many positive impact from a stats monitor, I wonder why there are so many people hating this. Does their, whatever caused their hatred, really overcome these benefits?

Edited by My_Papa
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 41
  • Angry 1

Members
1,684 posts
9,063 battles

It's like the anonymity of the internet in general.

Let's you just say whatever, with little repercussion. 

Real life, Im not going to get a surgery done by a surgeon with a degree from Dr. Nicks Medikal Skool. But I can verify what my surgeons experience and education is with research. Same thing can be done with stats public. When hidden, let's you do and say whatever without the possibility of anyone verifying you know what you are talking about. 

That said, I like the option to hide the stats. 

(there are a bunch of reasons why people hide stats)

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[SIDE]
Members
2,015 posts
21 minutes ago, Preteen said:

fixed that for you

Didn’t fix anything. Just trolling the thread. Only revealed yourself as rude and “that guy”. 

Fact is many good players do block stats. As explained by them here and elsewhere (I’ll save you the modicum of effort it would take you to look and summarize) reasons for locking stats are to avoid being strategically targeted via stat monitoring applications by a division and/or focus fired by a cooperative and communicative red team. Deny enemy information and you have power. Aka information is power.

So not only good players but also smart players.

edited because iPhone spell checker eats lead  paint.

Edited by thebigblue

[FBXGC]
Members
384 posts
2,429 battles
Just now, My_Papa said:

"Unless being an "I play only for fun" or "I don't give a **** to anything" player..."

Even as someone who likes to win and wants to do well, stats are misleading and MMM causes players to give up on games. It has a larger negative effect than positive. Until you get a site that has recent WR or something similar, stats are not an accurate representation of the majority of the player base.

• Cool 9

[CUTER]
Members
3,848 posts
17,498 battles
5 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Didn’t fix anything. Just trolling the thread. Only revealed yourself as rude and “that guy”. 

Fact is many food players do block stats. As explained by them here and elsewhere (I’ll save you the modicum of effort it would take you to look and summarize) reasons for locking stats are to avoid being strategically targeted via stat monitoring applications by a division and/or focus fired by a cooperative and communicative red team. Deny enemy information and you have power. Aka information is power.

So not only good players but also smart players.

Players who claim that are not actually good. They just like to hide behind such statement because of vanity and inability to face reality due to fear of being judged fairly. They create this transparent illusion about themselves. It's called pathological lying, look it up.

Edited by Preteen
  • Bad 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,015 posts
6 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

Thanks for clarifying.  

You have a definition of good that varies greatly from that which is valued by the competitive community (read: the best players).

No.

I’d say my definition is as in-line as yours. It’s subjective but with widely held agreement that 50X% or more is good.

If you think my reasons for locking vary from “competitive community”, and we all know what you really mean to say there, then You are just as likely to be wrong in your assessment as I am. I frankly don’t care.