You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Why do people hide their Stats?

300 comments in this topic

[USFF]
Members
319 posts
6,168 battles
59 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

A better question might be: why do people bother looking at the stats of others?

The same reason people want to know your socioeconomic status in life. Or your political preferences. So they can form an opinion about you. Life is full of labels. 

[PVE]
Members
1,698 posts
7,325 battles

It would eliminate a lot of issues, stat shaming etc, if all individual stats were kept private and only viewable by the individual player and were not able to be posted in any way whatsoever.

Of course there will be an argument about doing that by those that believe that 'game' stats are a reflection of how wonderful a person they are in real life and how much they contribute to society with their 'game' stats, or that 'game' generated 'stats' somehow have monetary value. And do not forget the 'epeen' factor, which in reality does not mean squat! 

• Cool 1

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles
6 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Well if your team is going to abandon you because your stats are not good or if you are going to be focused on by the other side because you look like an easy target, then I can really see why hiding your stats is a good idea.  I will have to do that soon.

It was mostly to avoid the prying eyes of MMM. Occasionally you'll have someone tell their team, "This person has a 75% WR, focus them first". 

Hiding your stats can help with that. Although, you usually have to hide your stats and then change your IGN because your previous stats are still logged.

• Cool 1

[NFE]
Members
209 posts
2,908 battles

If someone says, "This is how to properly play the Akatsuki", then I care about his stats. (I would never say that.)

If someone says, "I have had success doing this in Akatsuki", then I don't care about his stats. (This is what I would say.)

I have never looked up someone's stats in a game, but I can see why it might be helpful. I'm still not going to do it. It takes all of my brain to concentrate on the game itself.

• Cool 2

Members
22,279 posts
5,775 battles
57 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

A better question might be: why do people bother looking at the stats of others?

I basically do it to formulate possible advice.

If somebody with 7k games says BBs are nothing but torpedo fodder, and I see that they only have 200 games in T3-5 BBs, instead of ridiculing him like many will, I relate my own experience, and assure him it gets better. If he's experienced in a variety of tiers in BBs, I will likely say nothing, as they likely won't want to hear any advice I could give.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,484 posts
5,947 battles

I can't remember ever calling anyone out on their stats, but on rare occasions I do look up those that I can after a match to see if their experience can back up their opinion, whether I agree with it or not. I've seen some very skilled players who I absolutely cannot agree with but obviously know things that I do not, but more commonly I see the 30-40% people mouthing off in chat who can't average more than a battleship salvo's worth of damage over thousands of games.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
821 posts
1,876 battles

Side Note: 

All this talk of stats had me review mine.  I can't figure out why, but of the ships I play regularly (T7) the ones I dislike I have the best win rates (Jervis = 55% / T4 Langley = 67%) and the ones I like most have the worst (Leningrad = 42% / Akatsuki = 28%)

Why to I keep playing Akatsuki?  I guess to prove I can make it win I guess.

(Jervis and Sims I cap far more than Leningrad and Akatsuki I keep out of harms way, could be one reason.)

Sorry, off topic...

Edited by SJ_Sailer

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,150 battles
26 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Well if your team is going to abandon you because your stats are not good or if you are going to be focused on by the other side because you look like an easy target, then I can really see why hiding your stats is a good idea.  I will have to do that soon.

Why though? Don't be so worried about what others think to the point where you feel you need to hide your stats. Contrary to what people here have made you think its like in game, not everyone runs the mod that reads stats, and even less common is people running through a site looking each person up. That's actually not common at all (that's a hardcore way to go about it really). If you really are concerned about your stats i suggest you start playing in a clan where you can get friendly help. Improve your stats instead of hiding them because frankly man people that hide their stats are taken far less seriously.

The best way to fix any stat issue is to learn how to get better and raise them up. Not hide them under the carpet.

Edited by xalmgrey

[SALVO]
Members
19,950 posts
19,892 battles
1 hour ago, xalmgrey said:

Because regardless if people like it or not, stats are used as weapons in arguments.

Whether that's right or wrong is another story.

True.  But sometimes people with poor stats talk a big game like they actually know what they're talking about when their stats clearly say that they don't.  I'm not talking about opinions on maps they like or dislike, or ships they like or dislike.  I'm talking more about things like truly understanding game mechanics, or tactical positioning, and so on.  There are areas of discussion where stats are irrelevant, and areas/times when one's stats are very important.

This is sort of like having a person who has never played baseball above the little league level trying to tell a major leaguer how to hit, and trying to sound like he's a professional hitting coach.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,150 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

True.  But sometimes people with poor stats talk a big game like they actually know what they're talking about when their stats clearly say that they don't.  I'm not talking about opinions on maps they like or dislike, or ships they like or dislike.  I'm talking more about things like truly understanding game mechanics, or tactical positioning, and so on.  There are areas of discussion where stats are irrelevant, and areas/times when one's stats are very important.

This is sort of like having a person who has never played baseball above the little league level trying to tell a major leaguer how to hit, and trying to sound like he's a professional hitting coach.

I didn't say they weren't useful. They are of course to a degree. But they shouldn't always be the trump card to win arguments either. It really does depend on the situation.

[WORX]
Members
3,256 posts
14,685 battles

Stats, a weaponized element to try to win an argument in where you dont have a leg to sand on. What I dont like about people who choose to hide their progress, they end up having an opinion of others who dont hide their stats. 

So what ends up happening is, you can see my progress (my stats) while I see your regression (your performance in game, not what you have done), the only opinion I have of you to improve in match play IS your in game performance. Your opinion of me is whatever % seems lower then his to conclude that is the reason why he is better then me, even though. For one game he, well, Failed.

It is what it is, Stats dont account for the Human factor. If you dont want the human factor in your game play then Operations and C0-OP are viable options.

To me, stats are a useful tool not to win an argument. But to give me an idea of what a player has done. With this principle, I can;t go wrong in misinterpreting anyone who is not. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,535 posts

it's privacy, none of other's business, in fact people should hide their stats as default, only those who are exhibitionist want to open them, it's just like you don't make your salary public, same idea lol

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,290 posts
12,334 battles

I think InvaderZim and Kombat Wombat have laid out pretty pertinent reasons why players, both good and bad hide their stats.  When a poster is making a "meta" argument about shifting the game mechanics and doesn't use numbers or historical game play data to back it up, I want to see how well they play the game to see if they actually understand how the game works.  A recent poster had a beta tester label and a sub 200 battle count, yet was essentially proposing a change in the game as big as the entire CV re-work.  I don't mind people expressing their opinions, but this wasn't presented as an opinion but as a Fait Accompli.   When questioned as to the number of games played or in which ship types ( the overall arch of the posters wall of text was to massively nerf BB's ) the poster just became insulting and derogatory. Obviously, this person didn't want anyone to see what or how they play so that they can promote their "vision" without anyone attacking their credibility.  I don't use any in-game stat monitors, I normally just look for top 100 clan tags to judge the potential strength/weakness of an opponent or ally.  Even then, non-clan people have to be given the benefit of the doubt since many skilled players eschew clans for personal reasons.   On the forums, however - you need to show some cattle if you are going to be wearing the 10 gallon hat in a discussion.

• Cool 2

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,638 posts
2 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Just wondering the reasons why some people go out of their way to hide their stats?  Some are major contributors on the forum.

Are there hacking or other dangers of having your stats public?

Is it an embarrassment issue of having stats not deemed sufficient to offer a valid opinion?

I have some pretty poor stats but have never considered hiding them, but given the number of people I see hiding them I am wondering if I should also.

Because Some People use other peoples poor stats as a reason Excuse for why they>>-->>>(The Stat Shamer)<<<--<< refused to toe the line and fight with they're team and because of that Most of the time losing:Smile_facepalm:

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,980 posts
9,293 battles
1 hour ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Is it an embarrassment issue of having stats not deemed sufficient to offer a valid opinion?

It's less embarrassment and more the stupidity that ensues from the stats nonsense. Between such things as sure, people trying to use them to invalidate opinions, which unless the stat is "number of battles" because someone that's played maybe 5 total has no idea what they are doing, is the dumbest thing I've ever seen, given the plethora of reasons why they may not seem good and the simple fact of they may have a viewpoint you do not. Then you just have the flat out toxic morons that just see your stats and immediately give you crap and blame you for everything, and all the crap - and I can't blame people for wanting to stay away from either, I avoid ranked battles to stay out of that toxic mess. Maybe it's improved, but every time I tried before same result so I'm done trying.

Whatever happens in randoms, personally, someone gets on my case with stats I basically tell them FO. People wanna throw shade or try and use my stats to invalidate things I say they can go ahead and try I'll still make my arguments. Namely because aside from a long slump part of my stats is not trying that hard and as much as I still aim to win, not taking things seriously because otherwise, it's not nearly as fun when I actually try as I make sure to do every little thing right, change my playstyle, etc, as well as just less of a challenge. Case in point -

151312866_WeekofTrying.PNG.9109b36ab46d6d34a01fafa67454ee62.PNG

7 day period from 12/29-1/06, mostly my higher tier ships, actually trying for a change. Top to bottom - DD, CV, BB, Cruiser. With the hiccup of cruisers being me playing a couple I'm not great with, and even when doing ones I was just not able to carry hard enough. It'd take forever given my battle count but if I wanted to I could be a 60%+player - I just don't care to. That and when I did the same thing on tanks people stopped ignoring me and actually focused on me.

I'd rather look like a potato and not have the 12 ships on the other team focus than have stats that people don't try and invalidate you with but paint's a bullseye on you for everyone.:Smile_hiding:

Hide your stats or don't, your call. Long as you know what you can do, and use your own to to see where you want to get better or need to, who cares.

[NERO]
Members
3,621 posts

Just wondering the reasons why some people go out of their way to hide their stats?  Some are major contributors on the forum.

I have some pretty poor stats but have never considered hiding them, but given the number of people I see hiding them I am wondering if I should also.

There are a lot of reasons people would hide their stats. Some people don't want to be picked on for being new. Some people don't want to have their side of an argument dismissed because they've "only" played 1000 games in DDs and therefore shouldn't have an opinion. Other people don't want to be singled out for destruction as a skilled player if someone is using one of those apps that lets you real quick see the profiles of the enemy team (not sure if those still exist, but they did at one time).

Functionally there's no point to /showing/ stats other than using stat aggregation and comparison sites or just showing off if you're proud of them. 

Members
323 posts

I hide my stats because it's awesome when some loser wants to waste his time looking them up.  those are precious moments of life he'll never have back and he accomplished exactly nothing.  :)  

Edited by Sensai_Lawrence
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
22,279 posts
5,775 battles
7 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

it's privacy, none of other's business, in fact people should hide their stats as default, only those who are exhibitionist want to open them, it's just like you don't make your salary public, same idea lol

It is the same idea. Some people don't give a crap about privacy, or, more accurately, have different things they care about keeping private.

But, if you are going to write into Forbes Magazine as an anonymous person, don't expect anyone who reads that magazine to take you seriously, if they even pay any attention to you in the first place.

In real life, your WoWS stats don't matter. But when you comment on the forums, you've chosen to leave RL behind and enter this world.

And here, stats matter. The fact that they mean different things to different people doesn't change that fact.

If you want to be somewhere where your stats are meaningless, go outside lol.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,204 posts
7,205 battles
2 hours ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

there is nothing" out of the way" to hide stats  its simple , easy everyone should do it,

Now the question is, if everyone should do it... why are you not doing it?

[NMKJT]
Members
3,590 posts

I play to relax and it's easier if I'm not worried about stats

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
20 posts
5,147 battles

Players hide stats mostly because they are bad. Stats give a good understanding of your skill level of a particular ship and an overall look of your play. Those who say stat sites are routinely wrong or that they don’t matter usually have poor stats. I rarely post here because I often find that players don’t really want advice. They just want to argue even if the advice is coming from an experienced player. I don’t know why that is. 

Having said that I have played with and against avg or below avg players in competitive play who do very well because they can take instructions and advice along with criticism to be where they are supposed to be and doing what is asked of them. So yes sometimes stats don’t tell the whole story but they certainly give everyone a look at your overall skill level. Hiding your stats says more about you then anything your stats could reveal in my humble opinion. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[USCC2]
Members
4,763 posts

If someone has good stats in something it could be that they have experience in the topic of which they are talking, it could be that they have a good div or clan that they play with a lot - it doesn't really matter.

If you read and look at the evidence they present then it usually shows through in regards to the experience they have (and what kind of info they bring to the table). Then again I have seen good players use their stats in the full belief their opinion is the only opinion that matters, even if there is firm evidence to prove they are wrong. i.e. it works for them, they have goods stats, they must be right!

The forums are here for all to express their opinions if they wish - it's up to the reader how much faith they wish to put into those words. :Smile_honoring: