You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Why do people hide their Stats?

300 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
701 posts
1,595 battles

Just wondering the reasons why some people go out of their way to hide their stats?  Some are major contributors on the forum.

Are there hacking or other dangers of having your stats public?

Is it an embarrassment issue of having stats not deemed sufficient to offer a valid opinion?

I have some pretty poor stats but have never considered hiding them, but given the number of people I see hiding them I am wondering if I should also.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,322 posts
2,856 battles

Because regardless if people like it or not, stats are used as weapons in arguments.

Whether that's right or wrong is another story.

• Cool 22

[NSEW]
Members
931 posts
9,197 battles
Just now, xalmgrey said:

Because regardless if people like it or not, stats are used as weapons in arguments.

+1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,292 posts
8,194 battles
3 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Is it an embarrassment issue of having stats not deemed sufficient to offer a valid opinion?

some people are afraid of being "stat shamed" or having their "expert opinion" contradicted by their own stats.

some object to this public display of what they like to consider "personal information"

Are there hacking or other dangers of having your stats public?

none

I have some pretty poor stats but have never considered hiding them, but given the number of people I see hiding them I am wondering if I should also.

why not, I doubt anyone cares very much to be honest, whether you hide them or leave them public.

My own stats have always been public, the good the bad and the ugly (and a couple of years ago, they were ALL damned ugly).

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[WOLFC]
Members
812 posts
7,604 battles

I agree that potential stat shaming is a reason; I've heard of good players hiding theirs to prevent getting focused in game ... due to stat programs.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,018 posts
2,843 battles

Read these forums everyday  to see why this might be happening....     What difference does it make to their contribution to these forums?   I'd honestly say that a forum contributor might be more likely to hide than otherwise...given the rhetoric about stats here.     My own are terrible FTR.   I had then hid for a long time after coming back because i guess it sets there from default.. I didn't even realize it had been added.   Now that i think about it I should probably hide them again.          

[GTA]
Members
30 posts
9,577 battles
12 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Pretty much this not to mention the fine individuals who use it during games to rant and rave about a player (usually after the ranter did something insanely stupid and got smoked early). 

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
423 posts
7,546 battles

there is nothing" out of the way" to hide stats  its simple , easy everyone should do it,

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,128 posts
8,044 battles

Because they want to post in balance discussions like they are an authority when they are not and looking up their stats would show that.

• Cool 20
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 9

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
701 posts
1,595 battles
11 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

some people are afraid of being "stat shamed" or having their "expert opinion" contradicted by their own stats.

I can fully understand "Stat Shaming", it is wrong and against posting rules I believe.  I have not seen a lot of it however.

That said though, many people post asking for advice and stats are a way to check credibility of those whose advice you may take.

If someone claims to know a lot about Battle Ships and offers you expert advice on what skills to choose and you later see they have a total of 50 battles and only 3 are in a Battle Ship, I would discount that advise some.  I do not think that is wrong, and I do think that is something you would do IRL also.

(You should do this to your car to make it run better.  Are you a mechanic?  No I do not own a car but it makes sense to me...)

To be honest I thought if you have good stats posted maybe that was trigger for hackers to get your account and sell it or something like that.

Not that I have to worry about that.

• Cool 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
858 posts

I left mine open for a short time after I started and hid them as I started to improve. Funny thing is though is all of those so called "accurate" stats sites and program still quote my stats from pre-hiding them.

I sit and laugh at the stat-shamers and so called stat experts when they quote stats to me from several years ago.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,184 posts
15,088 battles
4 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

A better question might be: why do people bother looking at the stats of others?

Hmmmm well depends on the arguments

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,099 posts
10,311 battles

1. Because they are a trash player, yet think they are skilled and stats are just luck. People keep calling them out when they post their idiocy in-game or on the forums.

(Note: Trash player does not mean average player. Nothing wrong with being mediocre and knowing it, or even bad and knowing it. It’s the Dunning–Kruger’s that I refer to.)

2. Because they are a good player, but believe that everyone is using XVM to snipe them. (That would require that they put themselves into a position where they COULD be sniped, which good players try not to do.)

Soooo, yea. No real reason to hide them. 

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[VFW]
Members
1,115 posts
22,664 battles
2 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

A better question might be: why do people bother looking at the stats of others?

Usually to verify the individual knows/has experience in advice/direction given.  Also used by clans to check players that are applying.

They can be used to "shame" but usually I find that more rare.

vr,

• Cool 1

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,355 posts
20,092 battles
5 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Some do it in order to shame you others to rate your abilities 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,099 posts
10,311 battles
6 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

The same reason I look up reviews/stats of restaurants, auto mechanics, and lower back surgeons. So I have an idea as to how much weight I should put in their abilities. 

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,737 posts
14,186 battles
6 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I do in game. Especially if I am a cruiser and my dd is camoless, afk, late load and flagless.  If he is that dd with 6000 games and 43% I am not supporting him and heading to another cap.

• Cool 4

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,607 battles
1 minute ago, silverdahc said:

Hmmmm well depends on the arguments

I dont think pointing out a player is good or bad in any way calls an opposing opinion into question, rather to me it makes the one resorting to quoting stats seem desperate and pathetic. 

[FARQD]
Members
485 posts
7,100 battles

I am just an average player and somehow I started getting targeted when I started grinding my DDs (I thought its common for people to target DDs). But when I was grinding my Fletcher as soon as I was spotted people targeting me would go up to 7-8 which made less sense. In one of the matches a Black DD player told in global chat "Fletcher your stats will go down soon" which made me go in to my stats to find out that I had 90% WR with 3000+ PR after 12-13 matches. Being an average player I didn't prefer getting so much attention as I didn't want to die soon and prolong my grinds. So I simply locked stats for 4-5 days of my DD grinds as I didn't want any attention (I had to grind 5 lines and I did it with relative ease). 

PS- I have unlocked it now as I don't feel threatened anymore :)

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,128 posts
8,044 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

I dont think pointing out a player is good or bad in any way calls an opposing opinion into question, rather to me it makes the one resorting to quoting stats seem desperate and pathetic. 

So if someone is telling people how to play the Des Moines and they dont have any games in any USN CA aside from a couple in the Indianapolis you think their opinion is as correct and worth just as much as someone who has hundreds of battles in the Des Moines and performs very well in it?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,607 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

The same reason I look up reviews/stats of restaurants, auto mechanics, and lower back surgeons. So I have an idea as to how much weight I should put in their abilities. 

While this is indeed sound, sometimes it is unwise to take the beliefs of the masses into account.

• Funny 1

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,184 posts
15,088 battles

2 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Will again it depends on the argument and what point they're trying to stand on

sometimes not having enough experience really does matter on the point they're trying to make again depending on the argument

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,270 posts

At least for me, just to counter-troll the stat-trolls.

Few things on this forum make me laugh more than getting into a disagreement with someone and having them almost immediately post 'WHY ARE YOUR STATS HIDDEN?!?!", by which they admit that they were digging for a cheap dismissal of my comments rather than addressing the meat.

E:  Oh look, in the lower right corner, there's a stat troll slinking away as we speak.  :Smile_teethhappy:   E2:  And two very nice people. (Up to 5 stat-trolls, and 3 nice people.)

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 5