You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

FXP to spend and a decision to make: Shiratsuyu vs. Fubuki.

29 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
8,069 posts
5,480 battles

Currently have the Hatsuharu and the Mutsuki. I have enough free XP to obtain ONE of their successors for sure before the snowflake event ends, and enough credits to get either (but see below). Depending on how much FXP I can generate in the next two weeks, I might get the other as well

Points of discussion:

1) Shiratsuyu probably represents the last trace of the torpedo boat in the line leading to Harugumo - after that, the captain skills probably need to be skewed WAAAAAY toward guns and a new captain developed. Current best IJN DD captain is PT, LS, TAE, CE. So this one could serve out his time in Shiratsuyu and then move sideways and downwards into the Fubuki.

2) I'm not currently interested in moving up the line leading to Shimakaze; Fubuki would probably represent the final stage in that journey, and the captain as detailed above is probably more at home there in the very long term. Once in the Fubuki, he would stay there forever.

3) Buying Shiratsuyu right now is just about going to clean me out for credits so she'd be sailing without upgrade modules for a while; Fubuki has more of a margin in that respect. That being said, the 8 million credit grind I'll need to do over the next two weeks for PEF's doubloon value is going to fix that.

4) Shiratsuyu is an outgrowth from Hatsuharu; Fubuki is a significant leap in torpedo armament over Mutsuki.

5) Given the hideous costs of T9 and T10 ships even with permacamo, I would currently be inclined to top out at T8 in the gunboat line.

Which would you go for first? 

I call specifically on @Destroyer_KuroshioKai and @Lightninger for your help and perspectives on the matter. Lightninger, I know you're biased toward discussing operations; would having the T7 destroyer open up my options in this regard or would I be better off running the pair of T6's? Kuro, I've just been watching your vids on the Fubuki and am taking careful heed. Perhaps play with both in the PTS cycle before 0.8.0 drops, with appropriately specced captains, and see what feels more comfortable?

[OKM]
Members
160 posts
2,312 battles

Not to be that guy, but keep your fxp. Both of those ships start with awful torpedoes and you need to take into account that you have to upgrade them to make the ship fun.

• Cool 3

Members
2,118 posts
10,686 battles

Get out of Mutsuki. She’s such a limited boat I really only play her to help guys struggling in her. Fubuki is far more enjoyable. To note I might be a bit biased as Mutsuki is probably my most hated DD, and Hatsuharu one of my favorite T6 DDs, and a T7 would help open operations up more.

For me, sanity is my choice. Also read the above. That is important info.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[SPTR]
Members
2,279 posts
2,294 battles

don't own either but i think fubuki will be better as shira's torps, while more of them if using TRB, are only good in burst-style attacks. Plus you have to wait a while for TRB and torps to reload. Fubuki just seems better in the damage over time department with that third launcher, despite lacking the TRB. But i do agree with what you said @Ensign_Cthulhu about both ships needing specific captains and upgrades to spec the ship right. Bottom line: Fubuki because the burst damage on shira can only get you so far, not to mention B-hull on shira makes you lose a gun.

Edited by Ace6steel

[PLPT]
Members
824 posts
7,912 battles

Shiratsuyu no question. I like Fubuki too, but IMO, Shiratsuyu has the best torps-vs-radar ratio in the game.  Run Torpedo Reload Booster, learn to stay concealed, and have fun!

Also, it gets you to the gunboat line which is awesome. If you’re not going for Shimakaze, why is there even a question?

The Shira runs great without a full suite of modules, if you’re playing a stealthy torpedo boat style.

Also, you can get the Shinonome at T6 “free” through the campaign.  It’s better than Fubuki all-around. It only has the two launchers, but the guns have great alpha.

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
824 posts
7,912 battles
14 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Go with Fubuki, the third torp launcher makes a big difference.

With TRB, Shira effectively gets four launchers.

Edited by n00bot

[SPTR]
Members
2,279 posts
2,294 battles
1 minute ago, n00bot said:

With TRB, Shira gets four launchers.

but only do so well in burst-style attacks

[PLPT]
Members
824 posts
7,912 battles
4 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

don't own either but...

:fish_palm:

[SPTR]
Members
2,279 posts
2,294 battles
2 minutes ago, n00bot said:

:fish_palm:

I've seen videos on both

by Jolly in Shira and Yuro in the old T8 Fubuki

Edited by Ace6steel

[OKM]
Members
160 posts
2,312 battles
7 minutes ago, n00bot said:

With TRB, Shira effectively gets four launchers.

2 or 3 times per game, every 4 minutes... It is strong an can drop 16 fish in the water, but only a few time and more often you will keep it as a ''get out of jail'' card in case you find an other opportunity between to torp's run. Funny enough, Fubuki is a better gun boat than Shiratsuyu and a slightly worst torpedo ship (making me wonder why they aren't switched), which make Fubuki more versatile I would say. With the HE buff of IJN destroyer, the 6 gins of Fubuki aren't something to laugh at.

[SPTR]
Members
2,279 posts
2,294 battles
1 minute ago, Y_Nagato said:

2 or 3 times per game, every 4 minutes... It is strong an can drop 16 fish in the water, but only a few time and more often you will keep it as a ''get out of jail'' card in case you find an other opportunity between to torp's run. Funny enough, Fubuki is a better gun boat than Shiratsuyu and a slightly worst torpedo ship (making me wonder why they aren't switched), which make Fubuki more versatile I would say. With the HE buff of IJN destroyer, the 6 gins of Fubuki aren't something to laugh at.

also connecting to the point i made above about shira losing a gun on her B-hull

[PLPT]
Members
824 posts
7,912 battles
7 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

2 or 3 times per game, every 4 minutes... It is strong an can drop 16 fish in the water, but only a few time and more often you will keep it as a ''get out of jail'' card.

Seems a waste... use the second set after a delay of 20-30 seconds to cause floods. If you get a flood or two, it’s bye-bye BB.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,241 posts
4,197 battles

Personally I would go for Shira, provided I had some leftover XP to kit her out. While I believe Akatsuki to be a better ship thanks to the extra torp tube, Shira is still respectable and opens the road to some pretty strong stuff.

If Fubuki is the end of the grind for you in the torpedo branch, you might as well focus on doing Honourable Service instead and grabbing Shinonome. She is a very close relative of Fubuki.

[SPTR]
Members
2,279 posts
2,294 battles
8 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Seems a waste... use the second set after a delay of 20-30 seconds to cause floods. If you get a flood or two, it’s bye-bye BB.

just from what i've seen most will drop their second set of torps pretty soon after the first one and judging the damacon management of BB drivers that i've seen it will depend on the player driving each ship

i.e smart shira driver: waits to drop second set

smart BB driver: knows the DD he/she's up against and manages consumables

Edited by Ace6steel

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,059 posts
14,787 battles

Personally I would just keep grinding both of them grind fairly quickly and they're both fun boats both lines are fun you can't really lose doing either one

[ARGSY]
Members
8,069 posts
5,480 battles
6 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

With the HE buff of IJN destroyer, the 6 gins of Fubuki aren't something to laugh at.

Odd. Everything I've seen indicates that T6 Fubuki only has TWO twin guns.

29 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Not to be that guy, but keep your fxp.

Duly noted, along with reasons. However, it seems to be building up at a rapid enough rate that between it and Warships premium time, accumulating enough for the upgrades should not be a problem. I'm looking for a more relaxed pace of gameplay this year, and I'm not afraid to spend a lot of time with these ships in co-op.

26 minutes ago, n00bot said:

If you’re not going for Shimakaze, why is there even a question?

Because there are some things a Tier 5 boat can't do, e.g. tasks in the Mighty Prinz campaign, operations.

2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If Fubuki is the end of the grind for you in the torpedo branch, you might as well focus on doing Honourable Service instead and grabbing Shinonome.

That is the third option, yes, and something I'm working on right now... but progress has been very slow.

36 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Get out of Mutsuki.

I've had a couple of really good games in her, BUT... they were the standouts. That being said, she still has to earn her keep (i.e. all the credits I spent on her, minus her sale price), while Hatsuharu - recently won with the PEF - is just about paid out. Mutsuki still has work to do, and that plus the possibility of simply getting Shinonome instead (eventually) would tend to push me towards FXP'ing Shiratsuyu and working off Mutsuki's debts. Counter-argument - Mutsuki's 10-pointer went into the Hatsuharu, so Mutsuki has outlived her usefulness and should be sold for what I can get.

37 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

For me, sanity is my choice.

You have young children. :Smile_child: Sanity departed your household a long time ago, as it did mine, and for the same reason. :Smile_trollface:

I'm not replying to every comment or I'd probably be here all day, but rest assured everything you've all said is going into that decision-making melting pot. Stay tuned.

[WAG]
Members
464 posts
8,449 battles
42 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Not to be that guy, but keep your fxp. Both of those ships start with awful torpedoes and you need to take into account that you have to upgrade them to make the ship fun.

I don't believe in using Free XP to skip a ship, though may make an exception for Izumo. Using it up to get a few hundred coal does not seem like much motivation. You can get that much from a daily container, or daily chain. If it was for steel, maybe. Save your Free XP for a Free XP ship, or for upgrades so you don't have to play a stock ship.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
430 posts
5,241 battles
50 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have enough free XP to obtain ONE of their successors

flip a coin. based on your premise of farming some coal. both boats will do it in one coop battle. sounds like you will eventually have both. 

I disliked the shi**ysuyu. torp dependant spot monster ends up being a sail around the map looking at your torps reload and the game clock, hoping your team ends the bore quicker. however, the rest of the line really opens up nicely. 

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
323 posts

Before you get to the Shima you get the "ghost" at teir 9 the yugumo. She's a very nice ship and a very good torpedo boat.  Depending on your playstyle and preference she can be setup many different ways and handle herself in T10 matches with ease. Then again the ijn gunboats are nothing to laugh at . While slow to some respects they do pack a punch stressing IFHE. GL on your pick, either way you go they are fun. 

Cheers <o,

Edited by Versili

[OKM]
Members
160 posts
2,312 battles
40 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Odd. Everything I've seen indicates that T6 Fubuki only has TWO twin guns.

Got me there, was thinking of the real Fubuki. But Fubuki does have a better traverse time, more HP and as much gun than the top hull Shiratsuyu.

[VW]
Members
2,182 posts
13,311 battles

Just make sure you dont waste xp on either if those two and then realize you wanted krohn or mushy, but you lack fxp

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
791 posts
12,698 battles

If Fubuki is as far as you plan to move up that branch, Shiratsuyu and the door to Akizuki/Kitakaze/Harugumo is the way to go. I really enjoy torpedo boats, but have enjoyed playing Kitakaze since buying the ship recently. Honestly, I keep expecting the nerf bat to be liberally applied to Kitakaze at any time.

Respects,

Am

Members
5,129 posts
5,957 battles

I think Fubuki is the better ship, but a lot of that has to do with the fact I didn't like my time in the Shira. It was just too slow to take advantage of it's TRB and it didn't have the gun capability to defend itself when caught. And Shira can and will get run down by determined opponents. Aki and Kita are absolutely worth it though, with the latter being the true gem of that line, in my opinion.

But I'm curious as to why you'd stop at Fubuki. As capable a ship that she is, Akatsuki is hands down the best special type DD platform. Her only flaw is her elephant-like concealment. And, Kagero and Yuugumo are also really capable ships and fun to play, in my opinion.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,069 posts
5,480 battles
1 hour ago, monpetitloup said:

Just make sure you dont waste xp on either if those two and then realize you wanted krohn or mushy, but you lack fxp

Good advice, however, I got the Musashi a short time ago so that's that dealt with. Also, I knew I would never be able to grind FXP fast enough to get Kronshtadt as well (and I am not interested enough in her to pay money for the conversion).

I'm not interested in Alaska either, so I've been quite content to use FXP to get me into ships that are at least Tier 5 and can run daily missions (and snowflakes while that's still active). If I'm going to grind, at least let the XP be worth something. (If I didn't already have at least one destroyer line and several other lines ground out to T7 or T8, I wouldn't be racing up the tiers this way.)

22 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

But I'm curious as to why you'd stop at Fubuki. As capable a ship that she is, Akatsuki is hands down the best special type DD platform. Her only flaw is her elephant-like concealment. And, Kagero and Yuugumo are also really capable ships and fun to play, in my opinion.

Maybe I've been exposed to too much screaming from Japanese DD fan-things who complain that the line is ruined, their torps are too easily seen, why bother, etc. etc. etc. Even if there is no truth to this, as someone who started out being a cruiser main, the possibilities inherent in the gunboats at T8 and up are more to my liking right now. If you're playing on a limited-time basis as I am, you have to set priorities; IMO it's more profitable in terms of my time to decide to freeze the torpedo-line grind at T6 and concentrate on developing the gunboat line at least to T8 and see if it's everything it promises to be. That way I'm not asking too much of myself, and I can always change my mind and pick it up again later.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu