You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Azuma Preview - Stalingrad Lite

51 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,620 posts
5,700 battles

It;s not a Zao, or like any other IJN cruiser.  She's like Stalingrad, but I don;t think she is a replacement for Stalingrad, especially in Comp.  Great concealment and armor.  Good HE, mediocre AP makes this ship an interesting pick.  If you need Stalingrad, get her first, then use Steel or FXP or whatever you may need to get this ship.

• Cool 6

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,333 battles

I can see this ship being used in Comp to counter Stalin. It can work very well on a flank vs a Henri  push or as a pushing comp with a Henri / Zuma. 

Its concealment , HP and HE volley damage allows it to really dictate the terms of engagement. 

[TBW]
Members
8,143 posts
14,884 battles

That's all cool Zoup, but when are they going to send Stalingrad to Moth ball Fleet or Razor Blades? I still need about 3,500 steel to get the Stalingrad.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,194 posts
9,171 battles

passive bow tanking in full reverse at start of video *sigh*

that is going to get punished by CV drops. (Unless remarkable AA) Not an issue for Clan Battles (yet) but in randoms, I can already hear the salty howls of rage "But Nozoup's video..."

Spoiler

Have now watched the rest of the video, more dynamic gameplay by Nozoup/Kelorn as dd hunter suggestion is much more interesting.

[CUTER]
Members
3,863 posts
19,710 battles

I don't see a reason to take expert marksman if you are going to be using front turrets only, shooting at a ship directly in front of you. AR makes much more sense since you are being farmed all the time with the bow-on playstyle.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,988 posts
12,415 battles
16 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

that is going to get punished by CV drops. (Unless remarkable AA)

I believe in honor of its having an Akizuki strapped to each side, and to enhance national flavor continuity it in fact can't take DFAA and would have terrible AA!

- *this is not actually the case*

• Funny 1

[90TH]
Members
996 posts
9,403 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

That's all cool Zoup, but when are they going to send Stalingrad to Moth ball Fleet or Razor Blades? I still need about 3,500 steel to get the Stalingrad.

Lots of us are just a few thousand steel short of Stali. Seems like a plan by WG to have players fall just short and... buy steel? Remove the Stalingrad? Threaten to remove it and get people to buy steel? Not sure but prepare for the worst :Smile_sceptic:

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

I bet she will be for coal, maybe FXP. I think she is intended to be the “poor-man’s Stalingrad,” so they will sell her for a non-steel resource. It’s a shame in my opinion, I would have like to have seen her as T9 to square off against Alaska.

The ships were very similar in size, armor, and armament so I think they should be at the same tier. In my opinion, Azuma has had her stats artificially increased so she can be put at T10 for clan wars.

[TOG]
Members
3,747 posts
19,975 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

29 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Lots of us are just a few thousand steel short of Stali. Seems like a plan by WG to have players fall just short and... buy steel? Remove the Stalingrad? Threaten to remove it and get people to buy steel? Not sure but prepare for the worst :Smile_sceptic:

That it does. You'll have to get the $60.00 or $140.00 dollar plan. I don't think it's a threat to remove it. Azuma is T10. It's been steel to get T10 ships so far. FXP is T9.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
more content

[TOG]
Members
3,747 posts
19,975 battles
12 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

I bet she will be for coal, maybe FXP. I think she is intended to be the “poor-man’s Stalingrad,” so they will sell her for a non-steel resource. It’s a shame in my opinion, I would have like to have seen her as T9 to square off against Alaska.

The ships were very similar in size, armor, and armament so I think they should be at the same tier. In my opinion, Azuma has had her stats artificially increased so she can be put at T10 for clan wars.

She's rated as a T10. So i doubt she'll be a FXP ship. That slot already belongs to Alaska in place of Krondstat.

[90TH]
Members
996 posts
9,403 battles

One more trick with TRB I’ve been experimenting with: you can use it to load torps immediately at the start of the match, then send a rack at the cap approach point very early.  Normally, torps aren’t loaded fast enough to bother approaches and people don’t expect them.  You have to learn the timings, though, and you “waste” a TRB charge taking this gamble, but a torp hit on a DD before anyone is even spotted... huge boost to the team.

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,300 battles
57 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

That it does. You'll have to get the $60.00 or $140.00 dollar plan. I don't think it's a threat to remove it. Azuma is T10. It's been steel to get T10 ships so far. FXP is T9.

Except for Salem...

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,886 posts
10,264 battles
On 1/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, NoZoupForYou said:

It;s not a Zao, or like any other IJN cruiser.  She's like Stalingrad, but I don;t think she is a replacement for Stalingrad, especially in Comp.  Great concealment and armor.  Good HE, mediocre AP makes this ship an interesting pick.  If you need Stalingrad, get her first, then use Steel or FXP or whatever you may need to get this ship.

How can Azuma bow on tank when she has only 25mm bow plating? If anything she's more of a tier 10 Kronshtadt unless she was silently buffed in the armor department.

Edited by Crokodone

[WOLF3]
Members
21,714 posts
19,957 battles

Something that has to be mentioned is this thing has 71.8k of HP versus Zao's 40.8k HP.  This "Super Cruiser" almost has double the HP of Zao :Smile_veryhappy:  Zao also still falls victim to the random long range deletions, which can easily happen with her far inferior armor and vastly inferior HP total.  You can be maneuvering in long range with Zao, then BAM!!!!!  Double Triple Citadel from a BB AP salvo landing on your a**.

You're dead, son.  Take your a** back to port.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,886 posts
10,264 battles

Zao also has less than half the freeboard and equal plating as Azuma; with a proven turtleback.  

The chances of Zao getting blapped is few and far between...

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
2,107 posts
12,059 battles
1 hour ago, n00bot said:

One more trick with TRB I’ve been experimenting with: you can use it to load torps immediately at the start of the match, then send a rack at the cap approach point very early.  Normally, torps aren’t loaded fast enough to bother approaches and people don’t expect them.  You have to learn the timings, though, and you “waste” a TRB charge taking this gamble, but a torp hit on a DD before anyone is even spotted... huge boost to the team.

I ALWAYS do this in Co-Op with the ships that have TRB.  The bots are always surprised.  They never learn...

[WOLF3]
Members
21,714 posts
19,957 battles
29 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Zao also has less than half the freeboard and equal plating as Azuma; with a proven turtleback.  

The chances of Zao getting blapped is few and far between...

I haven't run into that problem with Montana :Smile_glasses:

[STURM]
[STURM]
Members
55 posts
8,520 battles
37 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I haven't run into that problem with Montana :Smile_glasses:

It's 30mm from front gun to back.  Any Zao worth their salt not forced into a brutal crossfire, just like any Hindenburg, Henri, Moskva, or Stalingrad, will bounce your AP all day long and laugh, and then laugh harder once you've saturated the superstructure.  All of these ships are completely covered with 30mm+ armour with only the bow and stern being excluded.

"That just means I can blap them through the bow"-- no, it just means they can go 25 degrees off bow-on and 9 times out of 10 you'll overpen the bow through the other side or bounce on the belt or deck, with your best possible results generally being broken guns.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,333 battles
10 minutes ago, Sturmgrunder said:

It's 30mm from front gun to back.  Any Zao worth their salt not forced into a brutal crossfire, just like any Hindenburg, Henri, Moskva, or Stalingrad, will bounce your AP all day long and laugh, and then laugh harder once you've saturated the superstructure.  All of these ships are completely covered with 30mm+ armour with only the bow and stern being excluded.

"That just means I can blap them through the bow"-- no, it just means they can go 25 degrees off bow-on and 9 times out of 10 you'll overpen the bow through the other side or bounce on the belt or deck, with your best possible results generally being broken guns.

Like Flamu clearly showed in his Azuma playthroughs .. you over angle your belt a bit and the belt bounces almost everything. 

What I find disconcerning is how the Azuma was played in this video. That would not be how i would play the Azuma to her strengths... Its more like playing the azuma to her weaknesses.

[PHASE]
Members
4,951 posts
16,654 battles
16 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Like Flamu clearly showed in his Azuma playthroughs .. you over angle your belt a bit and the belt bounces almost everything. 

What I find disconcerning is how the Azuma was played in this video. That would not be how i would play the Azuma to her strengths... Its more like playing the azuma to her weaknesses.

glad you said it. I watched most of the vid as well, and each cut clip was bow tanking or near death with no damage done.

If that is how the Azuma is to be played I will be bummed. I love IJN cruiser play and hope its some sort of Zao relative.

[RKLES]
Members
9,982 posts
11,740 battles
5 hours ago, LoveBote said:

passive bow tanking in full reverse at start of video *sigh*

that is going to get punished by CV drops. (Unless remarkable AA) Not an issue for Clan Battles (yet) but in randoms, I can already hear the salty howls of rage "But Nozoup's video..."

Reveal hidden contents

Have now watched the rest of the video, more dynamic gameplay by Nozoup/Kelorn as dd hunter suggestion is much more interesting.

As long as nobody on your team take a CV into Clan Battles, you will never need to worry about CVs.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,194 posts
9,171 battles
24 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

As long as nobody on your team take a CV into Clan Battles, you will never need to worry about CVs.

we don't know yet, what the future rules of cvs in clan battles will be, and whether or not there will be mirror matchmaking. But going by current rules for battleships in clan battles, there will not be mirror matchmaking, but there will probably be a hard upper limit of one CV, with no obligation to bring any Cv at all. So in theory we could see  (CV/BB/CA-CL/DD) 1/1/4/1 vs 0/1/4/1 for example.http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Clan_Battles#Matchmaking

Members
4,139 posts
15,461 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Something that has to be mentioned is this thing has 71.8k of HP versus Zao's 40.8k HP.  This "Super Cruiser" almost has double the HP of Zao :Smile_veryhappy:  Zao also still falls victim to the random long range deletions, which can easily happen with her far inferior armor and vastly inferior HP total.  You can be maneuvering in long range with Zao, then BAM!!!!!  Double Triple Citadel from a BB AP salvo landing on your a**.

You're dead, son.  Take your a** back to port.

Yeah, why compare Azuma to Zao? They're different in almost every way. Compare Azuma with Stalingrad or Kronschstadt which are similar ships.

Zoup also talked about it being hard to get monster damage with Azuma. Azuma is a Cruiser and Cruisers don't do monster damage like BBs.

Edited by ReddNekk

[KRAB]
Members
860 posts
7,295 battles

I don't think it will do too well with the Yamato and Republique in play - the Zao has stealth and some mobility (plus DD dispersion) while the Azuma is basically a bag of HP with half the DPS, similar armor and much worse concealment. 

The stalingrad has the ricochet angles and 32mm plating (plus some 50mm if I am not mistaken) which makes it MUCH more durable and able to punish ships trying to use their rear turrets. 

[WOLF3]
Members
21,714 posts
19,957 battles
15 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Yeah, why compare Azuma to Zao? They're different in almost every way. Compare Azuma with Stalingrad or Kronschstadt which are similar ships.

Zoup also talked about it being hard to get monster damage with Azuma. Azuma is a Cruiser and Cruisers don't do monster damage like BBs.

Over 30k HP difference isn't a big deal I guess eh?