You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Who decided the having CV's in Rank Blitz is a great idea?

58 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
3,179 posts
16,699 battles

The main reason that CV's were kept out of clan battles or normal ranked was that it would have an out sized impact on the match. It would be unfair to the other 6  players to be saddled with a  CV player who plays like as though it's random (and poorly at random at that). It's also unfair to the CV player to have that pressure placed on him. So knowing that, why did WG think it was a good idea to have CV's in ranked blitz?

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF6]
Members
498 posts
5,594 battles
3 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

The main reason that CV's were kept out of clan battles or normal ranked was that it would have an out sized impact on the match. It would be unfair to the other 6  players to be saddled with a  CV player who plays like as though it's random (and poorly at random at that). It's also unfair to the CV player to have that pressure placed on him. So knowing that, why did WG think it was a good idea to have CV's in ranked blitz?

I drop out of the queue when I see cv's in it , the teams are too small for that kind of nonsense .

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
18,990 posts
19,206 battles
2 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

I drop out of the queue when I see cv's in it , the teams are too small for that kind of nonsense .

Ditto.  But also, since I tend to play DDs, I don't want to have to deal with being perma-spotted by CVs.  OTOH, many CV players in Sprint are fairly weak, and in the two Sprint battles I remember being in with CVs present, one of the CVs was sniped in each of those battles … by a DDs.  And of those 2 snipes, I was responsible for one of them.  Both occurred on the Strait map because the CV players thought that it'd be a good idea to sit closer to the battle near the big western island, and the sniping DD came charging through the western channel to catch the CV by surprise.

[TOG]
Members
3,179 posts
16,699 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Ditto.  But also, since I tend to play DDs, I don't want to have to deal with being perma-spotted by CVs.  OTOH, many CV players in Sprint are fairly weak, and in the two Sprint battles I remember being in with CVs present, one of the CVs was sniped in each of those battles … by a DDs.  And of those 2 snipes, I was responsible for one of them.  Both occurred on the Strait map because the CV players thought that it'd be a good idea to sit closer to the battle near the big western island, and the sniping DD came charging through the western channel to catch the CV by surprise.

We were winning in one match. Reds were down 6-4 ships, when of our dd's said he was going to hunt the CV. A total of 3 ships (2 DD's and a CA) decided to go BACON!. The rest of us were killed off and I went salty on the 2 other morons for thinking it was a GREAT idea to leave the fight.  Sometime the idiots isn't the CV player. It's your own team.  

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
457 posts
8,177 battles

Ya while i dont like isolating any particular class from these events..as others have said CVs have far too large an impact on these small games.

I think this is especially true because generally speaking there are no really strong AAA ships...and those that would be generally would need to build for it..and who would bring a full AAA spec'd ship to this format?

[WOLF6]
Members
498 posts
5,594 battles
32 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

We were winning in one match. Reds were down 6-4 ships, when of our dd's said he was going to hunt the CV. A total of 3 ships (2 DD's and a CA) decided to go BACON!. The rest of us were killed off and I went salty on the 2 other morons for thinking it was a GREAT idea to leave the fight.  Sometime the idiots isn't the CV player. It's your own team.  

Had the same thing happen yesterday , only two ships though , a dd and a cl , cost us the game of course . No point in raging in chat , they weren't gonna listen anyway .

[PVE]
Members
13,822 posts
8,895 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Well, with CVs going to even tiers, that means it will be easier to keep CVs out of Ranked, just by making them odd tiers. So T5, T7 and T9 are good candidates. The next Ranked Season is T9 with the Arms Race mode. I have a feeling that T9 will be the full Ranked seasons most times as a WAG. Whether or not Arms Race will be the Ranked mode depends on the reception for the next Ranked season.

15 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

What Rank Blitz?

Ranked Sprint, the mini-ranked seasons. A full Ranked Season is coming in patch 8.0.

[INTEL]
Members
9,528 posts
27,165 battles
17 hours ago, retic1959 said:

BINGO.

[KSE]
Members
7,842 posts
8,167 battles
26 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

What Rank Blitz?

This. It's called "Sprint." Also, it seems you forgot that CVs have been in regular Ranked all along. Why should this be any different?

I find it easier, not harder, to carry a bad CV in Ranked than in Randoms. Perhaps it's just my state of mind. A significant part of this game is psychological.

[ICOP]
Members
996 posts
3,665 battles

Makes you wonder if players are dropping out of a match due to the presence of a CV, who is at fault if the team loses?  Also it makes you wonder if the CV player with an average win percentage is their lack of skill or players just dropping out to avoid the CV.

[CUTE]
Members
2,235 posts
9,799 battles

That would be unfair to CV mains. What if they banned DDs or BBs?

[TBW]
Members
7,093 posts
13,050 battles

And the match goes to the better CV player. Hope that they are on your team.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,179 posts
16,699 battles
15 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

That would be unfair to CV mains. What if they banned DDs or BBs?

It might be unfair, but WG made that decision to ban the class in competitive modes before. It hasn't shown up in the first 3 iterations for the reason I posted.

[TOG]
Members
3,179 posts
16,699 battles
2 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

And the match goes to the better CV player. Hope that they are on your team.

This.

[CUTE]
Members
2,235 posts
9,799 battles
4 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It might be unfair, but WG made that decision to ban the class in competitive modes before. It hasn't shown up in the first 3 iterations for the reason I posted.

They’ve never banned it in normal ranked , or at least, not that I’m aware of.

The reason that they banned them from Clan Battles is that you need a CV to counter an enemy CV for spotting. Without a CV, your DDs and kiters get destroyed. Not every clan has a competent CV player because the CV population is so low. WG obviously decided that having a good CV player should not be a requirement for a clan to participate.

For example, our clan, KNTAI which is a full sized clan with a lot of skilled players, has a total of 14 tier X CVs. If you compare that to our DD count (80), our BB count (66), or our CA count (127) you can see why CVs would make clan battles difficult. 

That being said, they’ve never stopped individual  CV players from competitive gamemodes.

Edited by Gavroche_

[TOG]
Members
3,179 posts
16,699 battles
1 minute ago, Gavroche_ said:

They’ve never banned it in normalranked , or at least, not that I’m aware of.

Then thank you RN Jesus I didn't see one in last season of rank because I would had hit the go to port button the minute I see one.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
707 posts
1,614 battles
2 hours ago, retic1959 said:

How do you do that?  I thought by the time you see the ships it is too late to drop out.

[TBOW]
Members
1,604 posts
11,663 battles
4 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

How do you do that?  I thought by the time you see the ships it is too late to drop out.

Easy enough you know that screen with the 4 sets of number on, One is for CVs if you don't want a CV press the Leave Queue Button before the queue drops you in a game.  Only time you might get screwed is if 2 CVs are already queued and you get the Insta Drop.

[SOFOP]
Members
552 posts
5,762 battles
6 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

You can see what types of ships are in queue while you are waiting for a match.  IE 2 Aircraft Carriers, 13 BBs, 5 Cruisers, 4 DDs...whatever.  What they are saying is, if they see a CV in queue, they just ESC out back to port.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
707 posts
1,614 battles
1 minute ago, GrimmeReaper said:

Easy enough you know that screen with the 4 sets of number on, One is for CVs if you don't want a CV press the Leave Queue Button before the queue drops you in a game.  Only time you might get screwed is if 2 CVs are already queued and you get the Insta Drop.

Thanks, very useful.  Especially if you did or did not decide to load up DFAA.  I hate swapping for DFAA only to find no CV in the game or be in a CV battle w/o DFAA.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,335 posts
11,284 battles

I guess there's a very narrow band where carriers are so bad that they need a complete rework and have been excluded from Clan Battles, but they're not quite bad enough to remove from Ranked Sprint.

A narrow band.

[-BRS-]
Members
339 posts
16,999 battles

I've learned just to deal with it...sometimes you get the unicum cv and sometimes you get the cv with a lifetime win rate 33% on a 56k dial up half hemisphere away.  Look at it as a challenge and a different dynamic of gameplay.

Ranked sprint was fun, played every tier 6 ship I had and pretty much and knocked off all of the snowflakes in Tier 6.  Lots of fun ships in 6,

Leander is a beast.

Edited by shoy07
  • Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
851 posts
8,134 battles

Yep I also left queue when seeing CV’s... doesn’t WG realize they drive players away?

One game our CV got sniped in the first minutes of the game, first ship dead. It’s basically impossible to carry 4v5 or 6v7 when the bigger team has a carrier and the smaller team doesn’t. Basically impossible.

The only solace for me is realizing that Ranked Sprint doesn’t mean anything really.  They should have a different name for it than Ranked.

[CUTE]
Members
2,235 posts
9,799 battles
43 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Then thank you RN Jesus I didn't see one in last season of rank because I would had hit the go to port button the minute I see one.

CVs are extremely rare in ranked, at least in the upper ranks. The only people who play CVs in ranked are super unicorn CV players. If Ranked is the top 5% of players, CVs in ranked are the top 0.5% of players.