Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

Yes, Holiday games suck. A bit of indicative data

13 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
9,510 posts
27,138 battles

So I have a database of 701 random games since the US cruisers dropped. Been keeping track of weekends and Xmas holidays over most of this period. 

I know many of you felt that the Xmas holiday games were crap. It appears you are right. The 27 Random games I forced myself to play over the Xmas holiday had an average length of 781 seconds, while the average length for all other games in the database is 878 seconds. 

Of the 27 games in that set, 3 were under 8 minutes. There are only 2 games under 8 minutes in the entire remainder of the database. None of the 27 games lasted the full 20 minutes.

My database is probably too small, but yep, holiday games really do suck. It ain't you. 

Because the next patch is going to hugely impact gameplay, I will publish all the results from this data set at that time, and start a new data set when I resume Random play, assuming the devs don't destroy the game as they apparently intend to.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 2

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,352 posts
20,072 battles

Cheers to Potato power

[ARGSY]
Members
8,726 posts
5,902 battles
6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

The 27 Random games I forced myself to play over the Xmas holiday

assuming the devs don't destroy the game as they apparently intend to.

Your attitude isn't exactly conducive to taking this post seriously, or as anything other than a childish, fist-slamming tantrum that you didn't have a team of unicums to carry you to victory. As the Americans and their allies found out late in 1941 and early in 1942 in the Pacific, sometimes you are on the potato team and are doomed to lose regardless of your personal excellence or the superiority of your equipment. At least we don't actually lose our lives when our ships blow up.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
1,474 posts
9,072 battles

So I have a database of 701 random games since the US cruisers dropped. Been keeping track of weekends and Xmas holidays over most of this period. 

I know many of you felt that the Xmas holiday games were crap. It appears you are right. The 27 Random games I forced myself to play over the Xmas holiday had an average length of 781 seconds, while the average length for all other games in the database is 878 seconds. 

Of the 27 games in that set, 3 were under 8 minutes. There are only 2 games under 8 minutes in the entire remainder of the database. None of the 27 games lasted the full 20 minutes.

My database is probably too small, but yep, holiday games really do suck. It ain't you. 

Because the next patch is going to hugely impact gameplay, I will publish all the results from this data set at that time, and start a new data set when I resume Random play, assuming the devs don't destroy the game as they apparently intend to.

A bit of data in the wrong hands is worse than no data.

I had games run teh timer out, plus, I don't rate games as good or bad by time played.

Don't publish your holiday data, it's worthless.

My WR went up, btw, over the holidays.

[TBW]
Members
7,091 posts
13,018 battles

If there were 2 Match Maker modes for Random battles, "RR" (Random Random) and "SBR" (Skill Based Random) which mode would you pick? SBR of course, right? because the battles would be more evenly matched. This would bring the statistics of the players closer together. It would be bad for Unicums and good for Potatoes, at least as far as win rate goes. If you think about it though, it might be not so much of a good thing. There are many pros and cons to consider.

When there are more Potatoes or "LSPs" (Less Skilled Players) in the population, there is a much better chance for obtuse matches where the teams are vastly different skill-wise. The law of averages says that you should be placed on the higher skilled team half of the time and this just might be true. When you add divisions to the mix it would upset the random balance because now either 3 SPs (Skilled Players) or 3 LSPs (potatoes) are being placed together on a team upsetting the random balance.

I was worried about my win rate in this game for a while and don't get me wrong, I still am, to some degree. I have come to the realization however, that it is WG that creates imbalances in there own game. Think about it, is it the influx of LSPs over SPs? Probably not, the level of SPs to LSPs should remain constant with player population. I would suggest that it is the missions that WG creates that make the biggest imbalance especially during holiday or high game population periods.

[INTEL]
Members
9,510 posts
27,138 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Your attitude isn't exactly conducive to taking this post seriously, or as anything other than a childish, fist-slamming tantrum that you didn't have a team of unicums to carry you to victory. As the Americans and their allies found out late in 1941 and early in 1942 in the Pacific, sometimes you are on the potato team and are dowwwwomed to lose regardless of your personal excellence or the superiority of your equipment. At least we don't actually lose our lives when our ships blow up.

Lolwut? I didnt complain about winning or losing in the post. I did quite well in that stretch, but I dont see how my win rate is important to the topic...

[INTEL]
Members
9,510 posts
27,138 battles
22 hours ago, Nukelavee45 said:

A bit of data in the wrong hands is worse than no data.

I had games run teh timer out, plus, I don't rate games as good or bad by time played.

Don't publish your holiday data, it's worthless.

My WR went up, btw, over the holidays.

Mine did too, but still not understanding why people thought this post was about win rate when it wasn't mentioned. My WR isnt related to game quality.

Game length is reflective of game quality because very short games are usually very bad collapses. 

PS: Went 21-6 over those games.

Edited by Taichunger

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,694 posts
1,251 battles

A lot of play4fun players will show up during the holidays. If you play Co-op just imagine them as bots, in a non holiday season you will have less bots in the team which makes the game more winnable & enjoyable even if you have to compete with your human/gud teammates for dmg and kills where kill stealing came from, if more than half the team is bots than expect to be gud to carry them to victory. 

Members
4,144 posts
6,865 battles

I actually did pretty well over the holiday and this last weekend was crap - far worse than the holidays... 

Beta Testers
1,474 posts
9,072 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Mine did too, but still not understanding why people thought this post was about win rate when it wasn't mentioned. My WR isnt related to game quality.

Game length is reflective of game quality because very short games are usually very bad collapses. 

PS: Went 21-6 over those games.

I stand corrected.

Blow outs rarely really bother me, a win is a win, and sometimes, matches are painful enough that a collapse is a mercy.   What I count as a bad game is one where I manage to get deleted right off.  Experience wise, anyways.  I just don't dwell on it.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,725 posts
10,296 battles

It was painful to play right up until today. Abysmal play quality, with the potential to go on a very unlucky streak. I'm glad it's over.

Sign in to follow this