You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Sigma?

12 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,863 posts
9,704 battles

I'm just putting out something that's been niggling at me for a while and that is how valuable is sigma really? I've seen people saying time and again that Ashitaka and Kii are both handicapped by their dispersion, but I've personally never experienced a problem. And then there's the NC which has a sigma of 2.0, but I swear that some times it struggles to hit water; meanwhile I just picked up the Mass and despite hearing about it being less than accurate, in my first game my shots went exactly where I wanted them to. So does sigma really play that much of a role in dispersion?

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
211 posts
10,183 battles

Sigma is a roll of the dice for good grouping. In other words, NC will get more of those tight grouping moments compared to Massachusetts. Just because Massachusetts has bad sigma doesn't mean it can't get good dispersion, it just has to hit that 1.7 sigma luck for that dispersion.

Edited by AdmiralHattori

[-ZF-]
Beta Testers
3,278 posts
4,892 battles
Just now, AdmiralHattori said:

Sigma is a roll of the dice for good grouping. In other words, NC will get more of those tight grouping moments compared to Massachusetts. Just because Massachusetts had bad sigma doesn't mean it can't get good dispersion, it just has to hit that 1.7 sigma luck for that dispersion.

has literally the worst dispersion and sigma of any ship at tier.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
211 posts
10,183 battles
51 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

has literally the worst dispersion and sigma of any ship at tier.

Massachusetts should have the same max dispersion value as the Alabama and NC, it's just the sigma that's different. I pulled off tight groupings from Massachusetts from experience, just got to sling enough salvos for that 1.7 sigma to work. The poor sigma is made up by its secondaries.

[-ZF-]
Beta Testers
3,278 posts
4,892 battles
23 minutes ago, AdmiralHattori said:

Massachusetts should have the same max dispersion value as the Alabama and NC, it's just the sigma that's different. I pulled off tight groupings from Massachusetts from experience, just got to sling enough salvos for that 1.7 sigma to work. The poor sigma is made up by its secondaries.

yes and they also have the worst dispersion in the game. they however do not have the worst sigma at tier.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,604 posts
5,131 battles

Sigma is a reasonably good indicator of accuracy, but it's not the one defining feature of it. Horizontal and Vertical dispersion are very important as well, as is the shell speed. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,736 posts
16,234 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Sigma is a reasonably good indicator of accuracy, but it's not the one defining feature of it. Horizontal and Vertical dispersion are very important as well, as is the shell speed. 

I thought Sigma was vertical dispersion. 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,604 posts
5,131 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/95790-krupp-and-sigma-explained/

Sigma just determines how likely your shells will end up at the center of where you are aiming, vertical dispersion is affected by sigma by it's not it.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,736 posts
16,234 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/95790-krupp-and-sigma-explained/

Sigma just determines how likely your shells will end up at the center of where you are aiming, vertical dispersion is affected by sigma by it's not it.

Thanks 

2,534 posts
4,282 battles

I was always under the impression that Sigma is how much of your salvo will be weighted towards the center of your aimpoint and Dispersion is the maximum size of the ellipse that those shells will land. 
I was also under the impression that vertical dispersion is more affected by velocity than sigma or otherwise

[TOG]
Members
3,742 posts
19,852 battles
28 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

The "ellipse" where your shells would fall is defined by the horizontal and vertical dispersion. Sigma is how tight those shell grouping are from the center your aiming point.

[CNO]
Members
4,994 posts
15,755 battles

Sigma Freud:  They guy who researched how WOWS players use RNG as an excuse for poor "performance"

• Funny 3