You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WestPac_CG22

USS Charleston vs the USS St. Louis

49 comments in this topic

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles

So other than being a premium ship with with 50% more XP and extra credits supplied by the permanent camo, is there any real difference between the Charleston and the St. Louis? I read the Wiki on the Charleston and it looks to have the same specs as the B hull St. Louis. I noticed that there wasn't even a review by LWM, so I'm assuming that even she didn't see it as having anything note worthy about it. So, is there any reason why I should spend 15, 000 coal for this ship, other than the permanent camo and maybe as a collector's item?

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,786 posts
7,767 battles

No stat difference that I know of. If you ever wanted to be able to use your 19pt Captain on St Louis and be a dirty clubber, Charleston is your chance. Or if you want her as a port queen. Or if you like the from what seems to be a rather quiet history of the ship.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,786 posts
7,767 battles
18 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

Any premium below tier 6 is more of a collector's item/history nerd bait than an effective combat unit.

Cesare disagrees

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2

[SYN]
Members
7,555 posts
12,804 battles

I think the Charlie has a slightly shorter gun range, but its basically the same ship. Don't have the stats in front of me right now though.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
Just now, SireneRacker said:

Cesare disagrees

So does the Texas.

I am going to guess that sulghunter plays the upper tiers almost exclusively. That is his choice but I feel he is ignoring some of the most fun play available in the game.

• Cool 4

[INTEL]
Members
7,256 posts
31,059 battles
15 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Cesare disagrees

So do Gremy and Texas.

I would even say Marblehead, The Unmentionable, and Yubari, too.

[RC_MP]
[RC_MP]
Members
520 posts
15,312 battles
51 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

Any premium below tier 6 is more of a collector's item/history nerd bait than an effective combat unit.

Kamikaze sisters said Hi.

Imperator Nikolai sends his greetings.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles

The death pickle also laughs at that statement as does a Bogy with a high spec captain.

Members
4,137 posts
15,461 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

Cesare disagrees

So does Vampire, Kamikaze, and Nikolai.

[INTEL]
Members
10,841 posts
30,537 battles

If you have coal to spare, you should pick up Charleston and another other ship you can from the Arsenal. Then if you get a gift/supercontainer with a ship, your odds of getting a more useful higher tier ship will rise, or else you will get the doubloon value of the ship which means you've converted coal to doubloons. That's why I picked it up....

• Cool 3

Members
6,299 posts
6,690 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

So does the Texas.

I am going to guess that sulghunter plays the upper tiers almost exclusively. That is his choice but I feel he is ignoring some of the most fun play available in the game.

There are some great tier 3-4 vessels, too - many that I play routinely. People often thumb their noses at the lower brackets, and that's their loss.

• Cool 1

[ARMDG]
[ARMDG]
Members
786 posts
3,289 battles
26 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

If you have coal to spare, you should pick up Charleston and another other ship you can from the Arsenal. Then if you get a gift/supercontainer with a ship, your odds of getting a more useful higher tier ship will rise, or else you will get the doubloon value of the ship which means you've converted coal to doubloons. That's why I picked it up....

I've never thought about that; thanks! I guess I'll pick some botes up, only to have them become port queens.

On the other hand, I could spend the coal on upgrades instead. Charleston seems like a waste because I already keep a St. Louis in my port for the Igor camo.

Edited by destawaits
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,683 posts
4,371 battles

On my main account I have an Igor camo for St. Louis.  No Charleston as of now.  In my Steam account St. Louis has no permacamo so I plunked for Charleston.  If there's a difference between the two I can't tell except that Charleston is a premium and I can train all my USN commanders on it.  When I get some good ones, I can club seals with impunity (not that I'd ever do such a heinous thing...).

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
938 posts
7,790 battles
4 hours ago, sulghunter331 said:

So much wrong with this lol...

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
938 posts
7,790 battles
4 hours ago, landedkiller said:

Kransy Krem can be a threat if played right and having the right captain skills.

Got it from a crate this time around. I have a 19pt Grozovoi captain to drop in it. Omg the one game I played in it was hilarious.

As for the Charleston, that's a ton of fun to stick my Montana survivability spec Halsey into at the end of a gaming session. IIRC it's reload is a bit faster than STL?

Edited by HeathenForay

[HINON]
Supertester
21,483 posts
15,244 battles

Ignoring the high tier elitist in the thread;

St Louis:

• Fires 100m further
  • Rudder shifts in 6.4s

Charleston:

• Has credit and XP bonus without the need for an additional permanent camouflage
  • Doesn't need a dedicated captain
  • Rudder shifts in 8.5s

Gameplay wise they're functionally identical.

<Edit> Added rudder shift mention, I overlooked that in the port.

• Cool 1

[CUTIE]
Privateers
325 posts
4,639 battles

1. It’s a St. Louis not requiring its own dedicated captain 

2. When putting Halsey on 1st timers ask how your shells are red

3. Refer to number 1

[USCG]
Members
415 posts
15,561 battles
5 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Since the Charleston isn’t one of the Santa crate premiums on the list I don’t think this would matter. 

[WOLF3]
Members
1,633 posts
6,255 battles
6 hours ago, landedkiller said:

Kransy Krem can be a threat if played right and having the right captain skills.

I like my Krispy Kreme.  Of course, I LOVED Svietlana so there's that.

KK is like playing Svietlana only you can complete missions with her.  You know, "Do this thing in a tier 5 and above ship".

Let's see, tier 5 and below premium ships that I own and also rock the house......

Julius Caesar

Ishizuchi

Okhotnik

October Revolution

Texas

Vampire

Yubari

So yeah, there aren't any good low tier premiums....LOL!

[A-I-M]
Members
2,089 posts
11,074 battles
7 hours ago, WestPac_CG22 said:

So other than being a premium ship with with 50% more XP and extra credits supplied by the permanent camo, is there any real difference between the Charleston and the St. Louis? I read the Wiki on the Charleston and it looks to have the same specs as the B hull St. Louis. I noticed that there wasn't even a review by LWM, so I'm assuming that even she didn't see it as having anything note worthy about it. So, is there any reason why I should spend 15, 000 coal for this ship, other than the permanent camo and maybe as a collector's item?

Well, the Charleston should be a more efficient seal-clubber: same ship, but as a premium, your socially maladjusted high-skill captains can pop into the Charleston for a good T3 bloodletting, and then slide back into their home ships with impunity from retraining costs.

[HAIFU]
Members
307 posts
5,807 battles
8 hours ago, sulghunter331 said:

image0.png