Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_tube_

Suggestion for a name different than "John Doe" to replace Chief Petty Officer Casey Rybak/Steven Seagal

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

25
[FF]
[FF]
Beta Testers
210 posts
8,831 battles

Could WG pick a more original captain name than John Doe to replace him? If you're looking for battleship captain names, maybe just look at other possible candidates?

  • Adm Wilder D Baker
  • Adm Olaf Hunstvedt
  • Adm Frank Fahrion
  • Adm John L McCrea
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,739
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,805 posts
12,193 battles

The forums were filled with lots of really good suggestions when the news of this first came out.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,739
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,805 posts
12,193 battles

I wanted Willis Augustus "Ching" Lee Jr. who put on a radar clinic at Second Guadalcanal with the USS Washington.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,479
Alpha Tester
6,018 posts
2,913 battles
25 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I wanted Willis Augustus "Ching" Lee Jr. who put on a radar clinic at Second Guadalcanal with the USS Washington.

On a similar note, I'd want Norman Scott, the man who taught the American surface fleet at Guadalcanal how to fight and win on the Tokyo Express' terms.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,401
[SALVO]
Members
22,114 posts
22,533 battles

Given that this is not a legendary captain, but just your run of the mill special captain with a couple of special skills, it's going to get a made up name, same as all the others.  Might as well call him "John Wayne" or "Marion Morrison".  (A thumbs up if you know who "Marion Morrison" was.)  Or Jonathan Quincy Publik.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,175
[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,459 posts
13,932 battles

Using actual peoples names in a historical context involves legal issues - WG isn't in the mood to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
361 posts
137 battles
3 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Using actual peoples names in a historical context involves legal issues - WG isn't in the mood to do that.

That is nonsensical. They have captains with names of the real individuals they represent in game right now. That has absolutely nothing to do with their claimed reasoning to have changes those captains to "John Doe" in the first place.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
111
[RED]
Modder
167 posts
7,584 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I wanted Willis Augustus "Ching" Lee Jr. who put on a radar clinic at Second Guadalcanal with the USS Washington.

I did, too.  So I made it happen myself:

Q7WuVOv.jpg

I also decided I'd rather have Spruance than Halsey:

IyY8u32.jpg

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,739
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,805 posts
12,193 battles
2 minutes ago, TheElusiveDenby said:

I did, too.  So I made it happen myself:

Q7WuVOv.jpg

I also decided I'd rather have Spruance than Halsey:

IyY8u32.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,858
[WOLFG]
Members
6,252 posts
4,146 battles
38 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Given that this is not a legendary captain, but just your run of the mill special captain with a couple of special skills, it's going to get a made up name, same as all the others.  Might as well call him "John Wayne" or "Marion Morrison".  (A thumbs up if you know who "Marion Morrison" was.)  Or Jonathan Quincy Publik.

 

 

Marion Morrison was a USC football player (among other things).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,633
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,324 posts
35 minutes ago, KnyxUDL said:

Or you know... WG could stop catering and appeasing to the wrong "crowd". I am pretty sure EA and DICE are learning that the hard way. 

I don't even like Seagal myself but I am not a hypocrite.
Let me help you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

Seagal is not on 'criminal' trial.  In any business model, public opinion is most important.

If your spokesman is alleged to be conducting affairs that do not hold up to the values of your customer base...   Dropped like a hot potato.  There is no trial.

His spokesman gig was dropped because WG does not want to end up defending these alleged actions... true or not.

This is the world of business, not crime.

On the other hand, he can still run for President in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,175
[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,459 posts
13,932 battles
1 minute ago, KnyxUDL said:

That is nonsensical. They have captains with names of the real individuals they represent in game right now. That has absolutely nothing to do with their claimed reasoning to have changes those captains to "John Doe" in the first place.

No, it's factual- something you should appreciate Internet Lawyer.   The named people's estates have allowed WG to use their names, or WG has paid for the use of their names.  Not everyone wants there name associated with a character in a video game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
361 posts
137 battles
3 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

No, it's factual- something you should appreciate Internet Lawyer.   The named people's estates have allowed WG to use their names, or WG has paid for the use of their names.  Not everyone wants there name associated with a character in a video game.

Incorrect. Steven Seagal's captain was not changed to John Doe for lacking contractual permission, it was removed as an appeasement similar to the same you see in response to "#metoo"

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,401
[SALVO]
Members
22,114 posts
22,533 battles
13 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Marion Morrison was a USC football player (among other things).

Indeed.  Among other things.  Had a dog named "Duke".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,858
[WOLFG]
Members
6,252 posts
4,146 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Indeed.  Among other things.  Had a dog named "Duke".

Good friend of John Ford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
846
[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
2,716 posts
22,600 battles
2 hours ago, _tube_ said:

Could WG pick a more original captain name than John Doe to replace him? If you're looking for battleship captain names, maybe just look at other possible candidates?

  • Adm Wilder D Baker
  • Adm Olaf Hunstvedt
  • Adm Frank Fahrion
  • Adm John L McCrea

Bring back the original captain and his voice...…….

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,401
[SALVO]
Members
22,114 posts
22,533 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Good friend of John Ford.

Apparently know Wyatt Earp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,175
[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,459 posts
13,932 battles
10 minutes ago, KnyxUDL said:

Incorrect. Steven Seagal's captain was not changed to John Doe for lacking contractual permission, it was removed as an appeasement similar to the same you see in response to "#metoo"

I never said Segal was dropped because of lacking contractual permission - I said Wargaming wasn't using another historical name for John Doe due to the difficulty in obtaining naming rights from the families estates. See the below quote.

 

1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

Using actual peoples names in a historical context involves legal issues - WG isn't in the mood to do that.

I don't see me mentioning Steven Segal - perhaps you need to stick with what people say and not what you want to have them say to advance your argument ....

I can see you are more interested in winning an argument than paying attention to what people actually say, you have confirmed my already low opinion of you. I'm also still waiting for you to explain how you know so much about the game and only have 137 listed battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,718
[SIM]
Members
3,926 posts
6,591 battles

Russian players like it because he’s a dead American or something, so it’s never going to change. They’ve said as much on Q&As.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,069
[NMKJT]
Members
3,817 posts

I would go with Admiral Arleigh Burke myself.

But to use a real person they need permission from their estate, which is a big complication so we gate made up ones

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×