Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

DD play??

9 comments in this topic

Members
4,709 posts
7,115 battles

Have not played DDs much.  Got T-61.  I get a pretty good number of enemy DD kills with her but generally only one before another red ship kills me.  Is getting just 1 DD kill but dying sorta, kinda acceptable?  Does eliminate 1 red DD.  When playing my cruisers the less red DDs the better. Sure I would like to kill 2 or 3 red ships before I die (or not die at all) but dang DDs are hard to play and I am not so good in them yet but I do get 1 kill a lot. I sure do get focused a lot by red ships when playing DD. Tks.  Learning....trying to anyway. 

[SYN]
Members
3,271 posts
15,259 battles

If that is all you have done especially early in the match then not really, you've just cancelled each other out. However if you helped the team out tactically, like capping then taking out an opposite number then yes you are a positive influence on the battle.

With T61 you don't have the firepower to duel a DD to death quickly particularly if it has back up. So with that in mind think along the terms of multiple engagements to minimise the damage you take. And of course utilise your strengths, if they are closing with you and under 5km smoke up and hydro (but make sure you can speed up to avoid torps).

Don't stay in a 50/50 situation, it's always better to run, regroup & return than fight a pitched battle and die.

If you want to watch some good DD tactical examples on youtube I recommend  Destroyer KuroshioKai  

Edited by Camo68

Members
4,709 posts
7,115 battles
20 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

If that is all you have done especially early in the match then not really, you've just cancelled each other out. However if you helped the team out tactically, like capping then taking out an opposite number then yes you are a positive influence on the battle.

With T61 you don't have the firepower to duel a DD to death quickly particularly if it has back up. So with that in mind think along the terms of multiple engagements to minimise the damage you take. And of course utilise your strengths, if they are closing with you and under 5km smoke up and hydro (but make sure you can speed up to avoid torps).

Don't stay in a 50/50 situation, it's always better to run, regroup & return than fight a pitched battle and die.

If you want to watch some good DD tactical examples on youtube I recommend  Destroyer KuroshioKai  

Tks

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

Have not played DDs much.  Got T-61.  I get a pretty good number of enemy DD kills with her but generally only one before another red ship kills me.  Is getting just 1 DD kill but dying sorta, kinda acceptable?  Does eliminate 1 red DD.  When playing my cruisers the less red DDs the better. Sure I would like to kill 2 or 3 red ships before I die (or not die at all) but dang DDs are hard to play and I am not so good in them yet but I do get 1 kill a lot. I sure do get focused a lot by red ships when playing DD. Tks.  Learning....trying to anyway. 

As a cruiser driver I am sure you have appreciated the spotting done by friendly DDs. 

And you do score points for spotting. So if you think the situation is getting iffy....bug out and keep on spotting.  Once you get through the first 5 minutes of the game, the battlefield becomes a real playground for DDs

Members
4,709 posts
7,115 battles
1 minute ago, MG1962 said:

As a cruiser driver I am sure you have appreciated the spotting done by friendly DDs. 

And you do score points for spotting. So if you think the situation is getting iffy....bug out and keep on spotting.  Once you get through the first 5 minutes of the game, the battlefield becomes a real playground for DDs

Agree.  Survive for awhile and things do indeed get easier in a DD. I am on a learning curve. I guess. I do see DDs that do not do Jack Dung for a long time.  Just hide but survive.  Maybe that is the way to go....dunno.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
7 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Agree.  Survive for awhile and things do indeed get easier in a DD. I am on a learning curve. I guess. I do see DDs that do not do Jack Dung for a long time.  Just hide but survive.  Maybe that is the way to go....dunno.

I am definitely no expert on DDs. But as with any class you have to be a bit passive and react to the flow of the battle till you get your skills up. Then once you get confident in the handling of your ship you can start to dictate the flow a little more.

[LANCE]
Members
468 posts
4,069 battles

With the T61 you have fast reloading torps also and can easily stealth torp with a 10 pt Captain.

As for team play, spotting is a big plus in your DD so if you see an island hugger, you can lay smoke for him and then spot for him too.

Gotta remember if you’re uptiered to a tier 8 game, tier 8 DD’s have the option for concealment module so you can be at a survior disadvantage against those guys but the T61 has good hydro so if you’re within 5km of the enemy DD and he smokes up, you can smoke up too (or not depending if your LoS with one of his mates) and shoot at him ... he can’t see you to shoot back. Can be risky but is rewarding if you pull it off!

Good luck with the DD play mate. It’s my favorite class although it’s by no means the easiest class!

Members
2,130 posts
10,692 battles

Send me a replay OP. I’ll take a look and send you a private video back with my thoughts.

T61 is a torp boat, don’t play her to specifically duel enemy DDs. It’s just not going to work out well in the long run. I’m killing them by the bushel in my hatsuharu in ranked right now. Play more like an IJN DD. Keep your torps going even if in the likely direction of a DD.

You have more options once you learn how to hydro effectively. I’ll take a look and see if I have a recent T61 video, if not I’ll play some ranked this afternoon and get something for you.

Sign in to follow this