You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_6iron

MM still not fixed

69 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts
7,933 battles

Too many games with T8 getting t10 matches. I thought this was supposed to be addressed but that is not what i see in reality. With a heal at t8 the fun of playing this tier is gone. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,973 battles

It's never going to be fixed, unless they make a T11 or T12, or the game doubles in players on the game simultaneously.  I find neither likely, at least not anytime in the next year or two..

It's math and queue times that determine what ends up together.  <shrug>

You can play, or not play, or scream all you like (or downvote it...), but IMO the MM isn't going to change anytime soon.  They've made a few changes lately, but those only really take effect to smooth things out when there's a larger amount of people on, rather than a smaller amount of people.

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 3

Members
23,470 posts
5,930 battles
7 minutes ago, Capt_6iron said:

Too many games with T8 getting t10 matches. I thought this was supposed to be addressed but that is not what i see in reality. With a heal at t8 the fun of playing this tier is gone. 

It doesn't matter what they do short of +/-1 MM, there will always be people getting what they consider to be too many T10 matches.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,907 posts
9,547 battles

WG is still too unwilling to undo the protected T4 MM. It's stupid. At the very least, they should have given T8s the option to be uptiered less.

Some challenge is fun, but facing ships with stronger weaponry all the time gets frustrating.

• Cool 2

Members
4,122 posts
9,201 battles
8 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

It's never going to be fixed, unless they make a T11 or T12, or the game doubles in players on the game simultaneously.  I find neither likely, at least not anytime in the next year or two..

It's math and queue times that determine what ends up together.  <shrug>

You can play, or not play, or scream all you like, but IMO the MM isn't going to change anytime soon.  They've made a few changes lately, but those only really take effect to smooth things out when there's a larger amount of people on, rather than a smaller amount of people.

I agree and +1, but that said... they are signing their own doom in turning off the "fishfood" with the shark tank waiting for them (the 52% WR+ crowd who are loving this but likely signing their own demise on here). It's part of the reason I started my pre-dreadnought thread (mostly historical but also in WoW's best interest frankly), to persuade newbs to stick around and have fun with low tier BBs instead of being WR padding for the better players on here, ,most of which, apparently, don't give a toss about the game's survivability long term. There, I said it.

And here is my pre-dreadnought thread which I remorselessly push on here every chance I get. Drop in and vote:

• Cool 3

Members
4,807 posts
7,953 battles
14 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

The MM can only use the ships and tiers in the queue.

^^^^^^^^ - MM does not change boats for people.  I don't get why people do not understand this.  T8 DOES get uptiered less often now but if more play tier 9 or 10 - then it is going to be uptiered more often..

• Cool 3

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles

Since the MM changes, my T8 are top tuer much more often, so at leat for me the changes seems to be working. 

As others said, the MM works with what they have in queue. So for every player that stops playing their T8 because they just want to be top tier, congratulations, you are just making the MM even worse. Players should care less about the tier and more about the ships they like to play. This would greatly improve the MM.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,672 posts
12,094 battles
36 minutes ago, Capt_6iron said:

27 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

It doesn't matter what they do short of +/-1 MM, there will always be people getting what they consider to be too many T10 matches.

Knowing human nature the complaints would continue and the OP is incorrect because they do not understand the fix. There are more tier 8/9 matches but since there are still 8/9/10 matches when an 8 is in a tier 10 match there tend to only be a few tier 8's. ironically because of the high rate of tier 10 play here the WoT "fix" would actually have worked better here.

Members
854 posts
5,700 battles
38 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I have a feeling that even if we went to +1/-1 MM people would still complain about being bottom tier all the time. 

• Cool 2

Members
4,122 posts
9,201 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Knowing human nature the complaints would continue and the OP is incorrect because they do not understand the fix.

They do not understand, apparently the fix, because it is psychological. What are the statistics for new players that arrive and quit entirely after 20-60 battles or so? Ask them you won't get it. This is the elephant in the room and they are not addressing it. Admittedly,the problem is a total conundrum for them, and the only solution in my view is to have a two-tiered system for MM where players with less than 50% WR on a given ship are not matched up with higher WR players as fish food. Like Amex perhaps they are valorising their platinum payers over their actual potential base... if they can figure a way how to keep them playing.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

Members
2,255 posts

The're plenty of players and Que times are stupidly low (0-15 seconds most of the time)... They have no excuse not to fix it.

It took them years to even do a MINOR change to MM'er. So it will be another few years before they might do anything about it.

The best thing to do is not play T8 and don't buy T8 prems.

Edited by MorbidGamer
  • Cool 3

Members
600 posts
7,026 battles

Just because tier 4 cannot face tier 6 does not make tier 8 face more tier 10.  That is because of how many tier 10 ships are being played, and because WOWs caters to those players.

• Cool 2

[TIMT]
Supertester
527 posts

This was posted about a week or so ago, and I can let you know at that time OP WG had an official response of working as intended, and no, no immediate plans for higher tiers, but who knows, the game is still growing and changing with lots of new content being pushed out.

[SALVO]
Members
21,995 posts
22,415 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

WG is still too unwilling to undo the protected T4 MM. It's stupid. At the very least, they should have given T8s the option to be uptiered less.

Some challenge is fun, but facing ships with stronger weaponry all the time gets frustrating.

That won't change tier 8 MM.

[SALVO]
Members
21,995 posts
22,415 battles
16 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Just because tier 4 cannot face tier 6 does not make tier 8 face more tier 10.  That is because of how many tier 10 ships are being played, and because WOWs caters to those players.

There is a lot of truth here.  There's a lot of players who seem to run their tier 10's much more than their other tier ships.  I prefer running ships of all tiers, 5 and above.

Members
600 posts
7,026 battles

Tier X is the end of the line (literally) and folks want to feel special for making it that far.  There is no advantage in a Tier X if every other ship in the battle is of the same power/level.  Imagine climbing to the top of a mountain and seeing flat level ground all around instead of a panoramic vista below.  Throw in some tier 9 and, even better tier 8 for the top tier players to beat up on, and it validates the grind and makes it all feel worthwhile.  

• Cool 2

Members
4,729 posts
8,263 battles
25 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Tier X is the end of the line (literally) and folks want to feel special for making it that far.  There is no advantage in a Tier X if every other ship in the battle is of the same power/level.  Imagine climbing to the top of a mountain and seeing flat level ground all around instead of a panoramic vista below.  Throw in some tier 9 and, even better tier 8 for the top tier players to beat up on, and it validates the grind and makes it all feel worthwhile.  

Bingo

Beta Testers
2,697 posts
22,481 battles

Everyone needs s punching bag to beat on it make one feel good inside

[SAA]
Members
222 posts
4,194 battles
1 hour ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Maybe true but it doesn't feel very nice to the the one beat up on... and considering many of those are some of your future players it ain't too smart risk losing them.

2 hours ago, MorbidGamer said:

The're plenty of players and Que times are stupidly low (0-15 seconds most of the time)... They have no excuse not to fix it.

It took them years to even do a MINOR change to MM'er. So it will be another few years before they might do anything about it.

The best thing to do is not play T8 and don't buy T8 prems. 

Amen.  Bought a T8 Alabama and was really looking forward to it.  Least satisfying purchase to date and now that I know the deal, I will never buy another T8 ship...ever.  I am being uptiered 4 out of 5 matches.  Last match 5 out 24 were 7 or 8...19 of 24 were T9.  I'm about at T6-T7 on my grind but I am just banking my FXP to bypass 8...have enough for 2 ship lines right now.

[INTEL]
Members
10,799 posts
30,428 battles
21 hours ago, Capt_6iron said:

The T8 MM sucks. But why dont you collect 100 games of data on this and then discuss it? 

• Boring 1

Members
4,132 posts
15,440 battles

I solved the problem of getting endlessly bottom tiered and outnumbered against vastly superior tier 10s; I don't play my tier 8 botes anymore, even in Co-op. I don't play tiers 9-10 either. Tiers 6-7 and 3-4 are more fun to play anyway.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
10,799 posts
30,428 battles

PS. Right now I have 51 games at T8 since the alleged change. In 22 I was uptiered to T10, in 19 I was top tier. The remainder were T9 matches. It doesnt seem like this alleged change has had any serious effect on uptiering.

Does anyone else have data on this?? I am going to try to collect 100-150 T8 games before the next patch drops and completely wrecks the game, but I'd like others to chime in as well. 

Members
62 posts

I used to play mostly T7 when MM loved that tier. But after facing too many T9 I used free XP to get Alsace, my first T9. Now I'm only -1 which is OK. I save my only working T8 Cleveland for  Coop when I need a win to get a few more points to finish a daily chain. I never played my T8 French BB with its zero point captain.The game evolves and I try to keep up with the changes.