You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Any Total War fans here?

18 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

Hi, is there anybody playing Total War games here? What are your favourite Total War games?

• Cool 1

[AFW]
Beta Testers
872 posts
14,762 battles

+1

All of course:D

but shogun 2 forever and of course upcoming 3 kingdoms :D /for just one T8 WG premium ship ., or one stupid steel campaign :D

Edited by Gandariel

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,194 posts
9,171 battles

TW Napoleon, TW Warhammer 2 (1 is too buggy)

Members
2,620 posts
7,691 battles

Empire and Napoleon are always my favourites.... the era of musket lines just lends itself very well to RTS style games

[WOLF3]
Members
21,714 posts
19,957 battles

I've been a fan of the Total War games for years, but there have been some very hit or miss titles going on 10 years now.

Shogun Total War was what kicked it off for CA.  I spent a lot of time in that game, and the Mongol Invasion expansion made it that much better.

Rome Total War was the blockbuster and made CA's Total War reputation what it is.  It is also the one that modders started working on.  I still remember fondly spending lots of time with the Rome Total Realism Mod for RTW.

But IMO, the best all-around, quality effort CA did in any of their Total War games?  Shogun Total War 2.  I give them a lot of respect for the art style, presentation, and somehow trying to bring differentiation between the different clans despite them basically using the same type of troops.  The Sengoku Jidai had a very nice clash of classic sword, spear, cavalry forces while firearms, cannons were introduced.  The different ways of acquiring firearms, cannons was also great.  You had the clash in religions, i.e. Buddhist and Christianity, different troops, etc.  How my Christian troops had no fear from the Buddhist Warrior Monks which instilled such things in other Buddhist forces they fought.

Of interest is CA's recent foray into Games Workshop's Warhammer setting.  Total War Warhammer I & II are good games, some sort of return to form in fun.  However, they do feel a bit stripped down compared to what CA did before.  But the variety of factions, vastly different races and armies.  CA went over the top to fit in special / elite troops and leaders yet you cannot ignore your rank and file troops.   It's a pricey venture though.  If you want everything, it's going to cost you DEARLY.

In Total War WHII, I had a recent Mortal Empires campaign where I played the Vampire Counts.  Instead of waging war against the Empire like my missions demanded, I ended up, after a lot of weird events, allying with them, many Dwarven factions, Bretonnia, and lots of other "light side" factions.  It wasn't my intention, my goal was to conquer the Empire.  But the Orks south of the Dwarven mountains became such a huge threat sending wave after wave of massive, multi stack armies.  It took this combined alliance to crush the Orks.  Eventually Dwarven, Empire, and my Vampire armies conquered the Orks and even the lizards and tomb kings even further south.  When the Chaos invasion arrived, they encountered a powerful, weird alliance.  But the Alliance was united.  The Dwarves, Empire, Bretons, etc. were steadfast allies.  I will say, that I had to be careful in ensuring I had channels of passage around the map so that I could move about in my corrupted regions and not lose troops due to attrition.  I was also very careful to ensure I was one of the very strong, leading members of this alliance.  Because we all know how Total War Diplomacy AI sometimes works, right?  Anyways, when Chaos came, we took some initial, high losses, but eventually the combined strength of the Alliance was too strong.  The Bretonnians in particular were mauling the hell out of Chaos.

I stopped my Mortal Empire VC campaign when the Alliance had fully conquered the eastern map.  There was still the west, past the oceans, etc.  But I had exhausted myself already and was very happy with the campaign.  I was quite surprised that a carefully nurtured alliance worked through the remainder of the campaign.  Past Total War games, alliances shattered for no good reason and weaker members would go to war against you to only be easily crushed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,194 posts
9,171 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I stopped my Mortal Empire VC campaign when the Alliance had fully conquered the eastern map.  There was still the west, past the oceans, etc.  But I had exhausted myself already and was very happy with the campaign.

I understand this. Many of my campaigns also stop short of "victory", because I am satisfied/exhausted!

[URSAL]
Members
284 posts
6,022 battles
2 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

Hi, is there anybody playing Total War games here? What are your favourite Total War games?

Me, I'm a big fan of the Total War series. My favorite games are Rome Total War and by far, Medieval 2 Total War. I always recomend them for beginners because they're cheaper than the recent games, not too complex to understantd and not too simple to get satisified in a few hours of playing, and they can run so easily on current computers (of course they're +10 years-old).

My thoughts about the other games: Shogun 2, really good both the vanilla and the DLC, worth it to buy; Empire Total War, not good enough and not worth it because it's full of bugs and it has a dumb AI, better to buy Napoleon 2 which is an improved version of the Empire;Total Warhammer 2, good too because it's all based on fantasy and not just hisotry like the previous games; Thrones of Britannia and Three Kingdoms, I say that they're not worth it because these 2 games have changed their focuses, now it's based more on politics, administration and commanders and subcommander's skills than building armies and invading cities, and that's where the fun it is!

I have changed so many times the course of history playing these games, here some picturesof my campaigns:

Mel Gibson, I mean William Wallace, instead of dying by the hands of the English, he just... conquered Southern England and became "patron saint of knights" (wth!)

Spoiler

1543027836_WilliamWallace.thumb.jpg.5ffb5e89d730274646eeaa679de5ee98.jpg

King Baldwin of the Crusader States, and from the movie Kingdom of Heaven, is a cruel and cunning leader (totally the opposite from the real one) that conquered Egypt and killed Saladin with the help of King Richard the Lionheart.

Spoiler

474933894_ReiBalduino.thumb.jpg.2ccc0380fcaa7efd8a31f74cc9186a92.jpg

Many people say that Stalingrad is so OP, but they never played Medieval 2 Total War Americas DLC as the Spanish. The Conquistadores are one of the most OP units in my opinion. With a few units of them you can destroy an entire army of mesoamerican tribes, and an army with mounted and dismounted Conquistadores +firearms+cannons, the enemey has no chance with me.

Spoiler

Conquistadores.thumb.jpg.c4ecaf63b995556fe958571f8f65665a.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
21,714 posts
19,957 battles

The next Total War game is going to be set in China's "Three Kingdoms" period.  I remember long ago, even in the days of Rome Total War in the mid 2000s, that we imagined that setting would make for a TW title.  Even at that time though, we felt a return to a Western Medieval world, Rome, or even Japan were likelier events to happen, which was what took place.  Medieval 2 Total War came out, Japan was used again for Shogun 2, and we even got Rome 2.  We even had Empire and Napoleon Total War in between all that.  So as time progressed, it only meant "Three Kingdoms" was going to be a thing eventually.  There's a lot of possible periods CA could have used for China's long history, but I think in terms of wider recognition, the romanticized Three Kingdoms with people like Cao Cao, Lu Bu, Liu Bei, etc. would be something more easy to tap into.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

Thank you all for your replies. I am also a fan of Total War saga but discovered it by 2008 with Medieval 2 Total War. These are the Total War games I own: Rome 1 Total War, Medieval 2 Total War, Empire Total War, Napoleon Total War, Shogun 2 + Fall of the Samurai, Rome 2 Total War and Attila Total War. Surprisingly, I really like the setting of Attila Total War but is not in my favourite list because I can't play it well due to performance issues, is anybody able to play it well? I have been thinking about getting a new computer to play this game at least in quality and 50 fps but I have read bad reviews about the performance of this game that seems to be affecting more players as well and players with top gaming computers.

As for naval battles, which Total War do you like? I am amazed with Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai ironclads, I really like this naval period and the ship models are so awesome... Shogun 2 + Fall of the Samurai is among my favourite Total War games because is not only a great game but also has good performance, that for me is one of the most important features in these games given how hard is to play them correctly because of the hardcore requirements you do have to meet to have a good gaming experience.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Supertester, Modder
8,498 posts

I go back to Shogun 2 from time to time

Members
3,781 posts
4,102 battles

My comp isn't good enough to let me really enjoy Rome II and Warhammer, so for now my favorite is Medieval II. 

Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,038 posts
277 battles

Of the modern total war, Warhammer 2. Medieval II for the mods (hyrule total war anyone?)

[-TD-]
[-TD-]
Members
752 posts
1,678 battles
On 1/6/2019 at 3:36 AM, 212thAttackBattalion said:

Empire and Napoleon are always my favourites.... the era of musket lines just lends itself very well to RTS style games

Same here. I love the naval battles the best

[WOLF3]
Members
21,714 posts
19,957 battles
On 1/6/2019 at 3:36 AM, 212thAttackBattalion said:

I liked the European army uniforms of the 18th century more than the early 19th century ones.  I think it's because of the tricorne hats.

Then again, those French uniforms in the Napoleonic Wars were pretty dang spiffy.

Members
2,620 posts
7,691 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I liked the European army uniforms of the 18th century more than the early 19th century ones.  I think it's because of the tricorne hats.

Then again, those French uniforms in the Napoleonic Wars were pretty dang spiffy.

the uniforms in Napoleon are amazing.... i could watch my troops just march around for ages. The one complaint I always will have with Napoleon though is for whatever reason they removed the fire by rank option unless you select fire and advance.... it just needlessly cuts down how much firepower you can bring to bear without stretching your units thin