You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ihsasum

shooting athwartship is better

8 comments in this topic

[ZAOAI]
Members
108 posts
38,443 battles

@Lord_Zath mostly educational vid. but i did a test in the training room, if I shoot the square box (a door to put down life boats on the sea) like you said, a huge percentage of shells will end up hitting the main belt and afterend plating. That area is too small. I think the best way is to shoot athwartship under 6km. but shooting a wounded izumo with 20-30k hp when victory is guaranteed,  i will use he to farm more dmg. :)

This ship will be a dark horse in the coming t9 ranked, imo.

World of Warships 6_1_2019 9_27_14.png

World of Warships 6_1_2019 9_27_40.png

20190106_090819_PJSB021-Izumo-1938_04_Archipelago.wowsreplay

• Cool 2

[STR4T]
Members
134 posts
1,016 battles
2 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

I'm just impressed by your battle count! :cap_wander:

+1 for that alone

holy anime how many hours is that?

[WOLF5]
Members
2,578 posts
3,053 battles
4 minutes ago, Gnomestroy said:

holy anime how many hours is that?

Over 10K. 439 days, 1.2 years of straight gameplay.

Members
76 posts
11,692 battles
28 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Over 10K. 439 days, 1.2 years of straight gameplay.

WOW! and I was starting think 1800 hours was a bit excessive in one year lol . I give a +1 to anyone that dedicated.

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,516 posts
17,792 battles

He's referring to his Izumo game that I streamed yesterday.  At the end, I disagreed with where he was shooting.  I just finished doing some training room and found that indeed you were aiming right.  The Izumo's rear armor scheme isn't trash at all - it's really trolly.  Here's why:

First off if you aim too low, you just bounce off the lower belt:  image.thumb.png.9002c044aaf8ab61c9c4026e7d15d425.png

Secondly, if you manage to aim high enough to get over that belt, you're either hitting the rear citadel or the area just above it.  I fired at three Izumos from the same angle and distance in the video and not once did I hit the citadel.  My shots either bounced off the lower belt or went up through the athwartship here:

image.thumb.png.50185ff9c356a43aaafe227582f5a198.png

The problem is your shells can't pen the roof of the citadel because at 3.5km, they fire prettymuch straight.  

image.thumb.png.df4b5083beeb9327d4c827ff7c2604cc.png

So where do you aim in this scenario?  I found two instances where I did damage of about 10k or so...  first was shooting the exact rear of the ship from directly behind.  The shots missed the aft belt and did penetration damage.  The second was shooting high and penetrating the secondary turret and rest of the superstructure.  Funny story here - a couple times I managed to take out one of the front guns with a shell that seemed to go right through the superstructure.  

image.thumb.png.7579175e1d63963c0d361bace7267c5e.png

Now I *WAS* able to get very easy citadel hits from the standard broadside angle though.  Also of note is that Izumo doesn't have the hexagonal citadel that Yamato has in the front...  so it's harder to citadel Izumo from a slight angle in the front (like you'd citadel a Yamato cheek).  

I'll be sure to include this thread in the YT release...  it'll be a few weeks though!