Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RockShooterZ

What is the pro and con of each nation Cruiser line?

15 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
110 battles

Please give me a summary of each nation Cruiser and their pro/con.
I'm enjoying the IJN and USN  line so far but haven't tried others line so I would like to know the basic pro and con of each line before investing. 

I like Cruiser that cam spam main gun with long distance and high accuracy, low reload time, and if possible torpedoes. Any suggestions line?

Edited by RockShooterZ

[_RNG_]
Members
69 posts
3,397 battles

USN: High shell arcs, radar at higher tiers. Super heavy Ap shells with increased auto bounce angles and amazing AA suites. No torpedoes like every other line

IJN: Good HE, quick and stealthy,  but poorly armored

USSR: Best shell ballistics in game, great AP and HE, but extremely fragile when broadside

German: have only gotten to Yorck, but they get access to a good hydro consumable. Good armor when compared to other counterparts and I believe they also get super heavy shells, dont quote me on that.

RN: only fires AP rounds with high shell arcs and fast fire rates. Gets a smoke consumable along with good heals and radar at higher tiers but lightly armored.

French: I cant answer anything here but they usually perform ok when I see them in game

[-VT3-]
Members
1,811 posts
3,574 battles

IJN: Early access to high-caliber guns.  Fast ships with high HE damage and long-range torpedoes.  Torpedo arcs tend to be restrictive, and require showing a lot of citadel to use.  

USN: Split line, centered around strong AA.  Good maneuverability, choice between light or heavy cruisers mid-line.  Only the Tier 4 and 5 have torpedoes.  Guns tend to have short range, and floaty arcs, which makes targets more difficult to hit.  Also a pro however, as it eases the abuse of island cover for protection.  Tiers 8+ have access to radar.  Heavy cruisers get super-heavy shells with improved bounce angles.  Slow-moving shells less likely to overpen on cruisers, more likely to citadel.  Good in a defensive role, due to radar and firing over island cover.  

Germany: Early ships are very fragile, with fast-firing, long-range guns.  Late ships are slow and large, with large HP pools and well-protected citadels.  Torpedoes are serviceable, with a 6 KM range through most of the line.  HE pens armor up to 1/4 of its caliber, making it more reliable than the 1/6 of other nations, but does low damage.  AP is highly damaging, but penetration/bouncing can be questionable.  Improved Hydroacoustic search.  Overall a very balanced "jack of all trades" line.

Russia: Primarily made up of fragile light cruisers with high velocity, long range guns.  The "sit in the back, or run away, while burning down anything that pursues you" play style holds through most of the line.  The tier X moskva is a bow-tanking beast with large caliber guns, which excels at holding defensive positions.  4.5 KM torpedoes on most ships make them useful in only the most dire of circumstances.

France: fast second-line ships, which play largely similar to the Russians: Engage, and then kite away and burn things with HE.  They boast the only cruisers in the game that can mount the Engine Boost consumable.  

UK: Fragile light cruisers with fast-firing guns that can only fire AP.  The AP has improved penetration and bounce angles, but a bow-tanking.. anything will shut down your damage output entirely.  Decent torps that can be fired one tube at a time.  Heals and Smoke generators are a staple of the line, providing a long-lasting screen, but only a very small one of one or two "puffs."  At the higher levels, this can be swapped out for radar, but it takes a... special captain to make a smokeless radar RN cruiser work.  

Edited by DerKrampus
  • Cool 3

Members
4,714 posts
7,300 battles

RUSSIAN...IN MID -TIERS. Just my opinion.  Japaneses Good also...IMO.

Members
4,714 posts
7,300 battles
19 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

IJN: Early access to high-caliber guns.  Fast ships with high HE damage and long-range torpedoes.  Torpedo arcs tend to be restrictive, and require showing a lot of citadel to use.  

USN: Split line, centered around strong AA.  Good maneuverability, choice between light or heavy cruisers mid-line.  Only the Tier 4 and 5 have torpedoes.  Guns tend to have short range, and floaty arcs, which makes targets more difficult to hit.  Also a pro however, as it eases the abuse of island cover for protection.  Tiers 8+ have access to radar.  Heavy cruisers get super-heavy shells with improved bounce angles.  Slow-moving shells less likely to overpen on cruisers, more likely to citadel.  Good in a defensive role, due to radar and firing over island cover.  

Germany: Early ships are very fragile, with fast-firing, long-range guns.  Late ships are slow and large, with large HP pools and well-protected citadels.  Torpedoes are serviceable, with a 6 KM range through most of the line.  HE pens armor up to 1/4 of its caliber, making it more reliable than the 1/6 of other nations, but does low damage.  AP is highly damaging, but penetration/bouncing can be questionable.  Improved Hydroacoustic search.  Overall a very balanced "jack of all trades" line.

Russia: Primarily made up of fragile light cruisers with high velocity, long range guns.  The "sit in the back, or run away, while burning down anything that pursues you" play style holds through most of the line.  The tier X moskva is a bow-tanking beast with large caliber guns, which excels at holding defensive positions.  4.5 KM torpedoes on most ships make them useful in only the most dire of circumstances.

France: fast second-line ships, which play largely similar to the Russians: Engage, and then kite away and burn things with HE.  They boast the only cruisers in the game that can mount the Engine Boost consumable.  

UK: Fragile light cruisers with fast-firing guns that can only fire AP.  The AP has improved penetration and bounce angles, but a bow-tanking.. anything will shut down your damage output entirely.  Decent torps that can be fired one tube at a time.  Heals and Smoke generators are a staple of the line, providing a long-lasting screen, but only a very small one of one or two "puffs."  At the higher levels, this can be swapped out for radar, but it takes a... special captain to make a smokeless radar RN cruiser work.  

Heh...what line is NOT fragile.  Like to know.  Cruisers? ???  They are FUN to play however.  Not boring like BBs....in my opinion. IMO.   Each to there own.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,811 posts
3,574 battles
25 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Heh...what line is NOT fragile.  Like to know.  Cruisers? ???  They are FUN to play however.  Not boring like BBs....in my opinion. IMO.   Each to there own.

Some are more fragile than others.  The tankiness of Moskva is legendary, as are the T8+ Germans with turtleback

[TACG]
Alpha Tester
405 posts
3,205 battles

The Germans' AP is was at times lackluster and HE for them lackluster to. Atleast that was my experience with the Hindenburg in clan battles. Armor is good, but lower tiers their very fragile. 

U.S, have decent armor for their cruisers and have nice high arc shells. I would say I enjoyed them the most. They also have ludicrous AA. Nice shell ballistics to, not as good as Russian.

Japan: Nice HE shells, AP decent. Torpedos are pretty good for them. However they blow up when someone coughs on them. 

Russia: great shell ballistics, good range and decently accurate. However infamously known to blow up when someone coughs on them. 

Britain: good AP auto ballistics, all have smoke, are maneuverable and stealthy; however, like Russian and Japanese cruisers. They blow up when someone coughs on them. They also lack versatility.

Members
105 posts
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

The German line is pretty tanky once you get to T8. The turtle back makes it much less likely that you’ll get citadelled, and you can bounce a lot of AP if you remain well angled.  You will still suffer normal penetrating hits, but the extra heal that Roon and Hindenburg got really helps you stay in the fight, as long as you can avoid taking too much damage too quickly.

Members
4,714 posts
7,300 battles
15 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

The German line is pretty tanky once you get to T8. The turtle back makes it much less likely that you’ll get citadelled, and you can bounce a lot of AP if you remain well angled.  You will still suffer normal penetrating hits, but the extra heal that Roon and Hindenburg got really helps you stay in the fight, as long as you can avoid taking too much damage too quickly.

I do play Scharn.  It can take quite a bit of damage. Issue is these days she is low tier a LOT. Fighting tier 8-9. Does have torps which is nice.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,811 posts
3,574 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

I do play Scharn.  It can take quite a bit of damage. Issue is these days she is low tier a LOT. Fighting tier 8-9. Does have torps which is nice.

Scharnhorst is the best German cruiser, and the existence of "cruisers" like Alaska make me even more convinced of that fact.

• Funny 1

[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,319 posts
4,522 battles

A note on the US lines: Many people will rag on the light line compared to the heavies. These are typically people who played Cleveland before the line split and are mad that they can't be as aggressive or pull off the same level of shenanigans with her as easily. They also tend to miss what the point of a light cruiser, in-game in particular, is: A light cruiser is not just there for lolibote hunting and it's not going to be screening the edges of the fleet taking opponents head on. A light cruiser is a harasser and force-multiplier. You stick with the group, you cover them with AA and give them eyes with radar or concealment with smoke, and you eat anything that hates fire alive. I'd give a priority target, but honestly that's just whatever's in front of you that you can damage most efficiently. Yes, you'll hunt destroyers. Yes, you'll burn battleships. And yes, you'll punish other cruisers for over-extending into your range. You can do it all in a light cruiser while simultaneously chowing down on a heaping helping of aircraft-flavored Doritos courtesy of the enemy carrier that has no choice but to probe your RIDICULOUSLY HUGE AA bubble.

But there is one thing you must never, under any circumstances do as a light cruiser: FOR THE LOVE OF SPRUANCE, DO NOT GET KITED! There is no other ship I've played that gets punished more severely by over-extending than a cruiser, and light cruisers in particular. You see that destroyer over there? The little Kagero that just wet his pants and ran at the sight of your Cockbote? Yeah, he's bait. Sure he may look like he's ducking behind his island waifu while spamming "HELP!!!!" over and over in chat, and he may well be doing just that; but what you don't see is the Alsace and Moskva driving the pain train behind him, and spoilers: That train has no brakes.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,598 posts
9,808 battles
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:54 PM, UEG_PATRIOT said:

No torpedoes like every other line

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, DerKrampus said:

Tiers 8+ have access to radar. 

Both of these are true as generalized statements, but for the sake of accuracy, they not technically true to one degree or another.

For instance, it is true that the Tech Tree USN cruisers get Radar at Tier VIII and above, so if you consider "line" to only mean the Tech Tree ships, then it is true that the USN Cruiser line only gets radar at Tier VIII+.  However, the Atlanta and Indianapolis, both Premium ships, get radar at Tier VII.  Thus if "line" includes all ships of that type in a nation, i.e., both Premium and Tech Tree, then two of the Tier VII USN cruisers and all Tier VIII and above USN cruisers in the USN line get Radar.  That is a critical point when talking uniqueness of a line since the only other Cruiser below Tier VIII that gets radar is the Belfast, which has been permanently removed from sale.

On the other hand, there are two USN Tech Tree Cruisers, the Tier IV Phoenix and the Tier V Omaha, which have torpedoes.  Additionally, the Omaha's Premium sister ship, the Marblehead, plus the Premium Tier VII Atlanta and her Reward/Steel Premium sister ship, the Flint, also have torpedoes.  Thus, two out of fifteen (13%) of the USN tech tree Cruisers have torpedoes and five out of eighteen (28%) of the USN Cruisers as a whole have torpedoes.  And that is counting the Marblehead and the Marblehead Lima as the same ship, which for all practical purposes, they are.

Thus, while it is true that, as a standard characteristic, most US Cruisers don't have torpedoes, it is neither technically correct to say that no USN Cruisers or even no USN Tech Tree Cruisers have torpedoes.

• Boring 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,811 posts
3,574 battles
2 hours ago, Sotaudi said:

Both of these are true as generalized statements, but for the sake of accuracy, they not technically true to one degree or another.

For instance, it is true that the Tech Tree USN cruisers get Radar at Tier VIII and above, so if you consider "line" to only mean the Tech Tree ships, then it is true that the USN Cruiser line only gets radar at Tier VIII+.  However, the Atlanta and Indianapolis, both Premium ships, get radar at Tier VII.  Thus if "line" includes all ships of that type in a nation, i.e., both Premium and Tech Tree, then two of the Tier VII USN cruisers and all Tier VIII and above USN cruisers in the USN line get Radar.  That is a critical point when talking uniqueness of a line since the only other Cruiser below Tier VIII that gets radar is the Belfast, which has been permanently removed from sale.

I generally consider the "line" of a given nation to be the progression from one tech tree ship to the next, yes.  The gimmicks and general uniqueness of many premiums makes them less than helpful for summarizing the feel of a nation's ships in a general way.

[SYJ]
Members
108 posts
7,567 battles
On 1/5/2019 at 8:57 PM, DerKrampus said:

I would like to inform you sir that, Radar Edinburgh is surprisingly effective, because "Radar Edinburgh is like a Spanish Inquisition for destroyers... and nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition." ~ Monty Python probably

Edited by Sammy_Small
spelling
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,686 posts
10,809 battles

Some of the comments in this thread are good, but I would like to add some extra details to them.

German Cruisers start out as being rather durable armored cruisers, then they turn into light cruisers at tier 5 through 7, thennat tier 8 and up they get progressively better protected. They typically will have 6km torpedoes innmid tier through high tier. The Graf Spee at tier 6 is an exception to the the way mid tier German CAs are. The Graf Spee gets 11’ BB guns in 2 triple mainngun turrets, it’s a Heavy Cruiser with HP heals, and gets 8km torpedoes. Also the German CAs typically get good main gun range and rate of fire. Like the the Graf Spee and Nuremberg get 16km main gun range at tier VI when most rival cruisers only get about 15km or less, so if both you and an enemy cruiser are both spotted and heading towards each other you would get the change to fire first.

British cruisers typically have AP only for shells, but the premium CAs get both AP and HE shells.

Sign in to follow this