You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

What ships do you like that most dislike, and which ones do you dislike most like?

51 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
9,474 posts
16,909 battles

As the title says, what ships do you actually like that most seem to hate (and sometimes with a true passion LOL) and which ones do you dislike that most seem to like…?

Fort me these ships (in no particular order) are not overly popular but I do well in them and like them to varying degrees of it's decent to love it...

1. Emerald - most hate it but I actually like it. Smoke, hydro, heal, excellent concealment, and good torps. The guns are a little lacking and it's squishy sure (what BRN CL isn't?) but I like it.
  2. FDG - of all the tech tree and premium T9 BB's FDG is only rivaled by Izumo for the number of I HATE THIS SHIP posts LOL. I actually do really well in it and like it better than Bismarck. I have played every T9 BB except Izumo (skipped it with FXP) and FDG is actually my 2nd highest average damage BB behind only Musashi. I have my 2nd highest game in a T9 BB in FDG as well only behind Alsace. Now it isn't my favorite T9 BB but it isn't that bad (for me). Probably because I play Co-op and can actually spec for secondary guns and more important get into range and use them. BUT, with that said, I have had some excellent results firing at 1st contact at max range too. I have got some big hits way out there with it. I kept it, bought the perma camo, and play it now and then. I usually have a good game.
  3. Colorado - a very polarizing ship amongst players. I enjoyed my time grinding through it however unlike so many who it seems would rather swallow glass. Yes it is slow and at times PAINFULLY so but the guns are awesome, the AA is really good, and it is tough. I kept it and even got the perma camo. Really good ship.
  4. Buffalo - this is a really good ship IMO. Other than the long reload it is great. I like it so much I stuck Halsey on it.
  5. New York - another slow US BB so many hate. I wish it was faster myself but I didn't mind it when playing through it and I actually have repurchased it and have it in port. I even grabbed the perma camo (yes it actually has one) here just a short time back when T5-T9 perma camos were marked down. 
  6. Mutsu/Ashitaka/Kii - grouping them together here as IJN Premiums most seem to really dislike while I actually like them. Mutsu is ok but I actually really like Ashitaka (even before the recent buffs) and Kii is an AA beast with torps. Never understood the dislike of them?  I actually find their guns perform better than the tech tree versions (Nagato/Amagi).
  7. Abruzzi - man does this one get some hate. I am just going to say I find it decent and I have enjoyed the games I played with it.
  8. Omaha - I love that ship! It's a fire breathing monster. Like BRN CL's it's squishy but man it is fun and IMO a good ship.

There might be more but it's all I can think of right now...

As to the ones I dislike that most really seem to like (will be fewer)…

1. Nagato/Amagi - OMG do I detest these 2 BB's. As I was grinding up the IJN BB line all I heard was how god like the guns were and how awesome these 2 BB's were. I never really feared them playing against them but figured I was missing something and once I got there I would see the light. Nope. Never got the guns to work for me on either. To say I disliked my time with them is an understatement. They are still in port but I don't play them outside of something like the snowflake event.
  2. High Tier RU Gun Boat DD's - kind of lumping the T8-T10 gun boat RU DD's together here. I just do not like them. I don't like playing a DD like a Cruiser. Hated Kiev big time, Tashkent was actually ok but was glad to sell it, and while I just got Khab I have not enjoyed my limited time in it. Detection is awful, maneuverability is awful, etc... Just not a playstyle I like. Guess I am a torp boat DD player LOL.
  3. Zao - I don't hate it or anything but find it overrated and I don't really enjoy playing it. Pretty much would rather take out any other T10 Cruiser.
  4. Cleveland T6 or T8 - just never really got the whole I love the Cleveland thing. It was just average IMO at T6 and it is below average at T8. The AA was it's one saving grace as a T6 and that is gone at T8. I never really liked it even though I have a ton of games in it.

I am sure there is more but for now this will do. What ships are on your lists?

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,757 posts

I just reread the title ... and obviously didn't interpret it correctly the first time ...

Like that others Dislike?  Only one I can think of might be Duca d'Aosta ... fairly recent boat and it does have it's challenges.  But I enjoy it's speed, maneuverability, guns and even the torps in an upclose vs. land mine use.  Of course I enjoy the looks ... kind of like owning an old Jag E-model.

Dislike that others Like? All I can think of is maybe the Normandie.  It's mostly a port queen and only kept it because I did get the premium event camo.

Edited by DocWalker
misunderstood question ... total rewrite

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
4,386 battles

I personally really enjoy and do pretty well in the recently released Prinz Eitel Friedrich, which is easily one of the most widely disliked ships as of late.

On the flip side, I absolutely loathe the Musashi and even the Yamato to a lesser extent. I do not enjoy playing RNG slot machines when taking careful aim with supposedly 'accurate' BBs.

Edited by BattlecruiserOperational

Members
858 posts
3,818 battles

Many people hate the Indianapolis but I find it's one of my favorite cruisers to play. It has radar, good AA, and it's guns are powerful.

• Cool 2

[GOOF]
Members
339 posts
4,471 battles

Duca d aosta 

Find the whole italian CL a very special niche but ( some Italian pride here) I love this ship. 

Wish WG would decide with all their silly buffs and nerfs and refits to figure out  the Italian light/heavy APthat would help make Italy historic and unique

Atlanta:  OMG what's more frustrating than that Atlanta way over there that I can't see for some reason despite the fact that it's spamming HE the entire game. 

[PVE]
Members
100 posts
2,118 battles

Ones that I like that get grief

1. Karlsruhe - I don't know why, it just clicked with me in a way almost no other cruiser did up until that point, it was the ship that really taught me why CL's have AP, how to angle well and many other things.
  2. Myogi - Again I still am not sure why. The long ranged gunnery was nice and comfortable and the speed and maneuverability felt like a breath of fresh air after the hell of USN BB's.
  3. Caledon & Danae - A lot of people seem to hate on the RN CL's till the Fiji but playing them like oversized DD's with citadels seems to work for me so far.

Ships that I dislike that get praise

1. St. Louis - It is tough and has a good amount of guns, but trying to play it just feels frustrating, I blame the low speed.
  2. Friant - I do really well in it but the reload times make me feel like I miss too many opportunities.
  3. Furutaka - The Fury Taco herself, never seems to overmatch cruiser bows when I AP and most of the time the fire power just feels lacking(Definitely my fault)
  4. Clemson - Wickes just felt more comfortable to me.
  5. Bogatyr - Just felt like a reskinned St. Louis to me.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,221 posts
4,084 battles

Like (excluding duh's like the St. Louis)

1.  German BB's.  I don't do well in the other asymmetrical gun arrangement BB's (see below), but the Nassau and Kaiser always seem to work.

2.  Phoenix (mini Omaha).  Guns always ready.

Dislike

1.  Kawachi.  Worst experience in my young WoWs career.  Being outranged by the same tier cruisers sucks.

2.  Kohlberg.  A 4 BB game is a death sentence.

[TARK]
Members
3,334 posts
1,490 battles

Caledon...

...it's teaching me how to play CL properly...

And everyone underestimates it's ability to late game dominate with those single fire torps at tier III.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,221 posts
4,084 battles
2 minutes ago, Vladeshi said:

Ones that I like that get grief

1. Karlsruhe - I don't know why, it just clicked with me in a way almost no other cruiser did up until that point, it was the ship that really taught me why CL's have AP, how to angle well and many other things.
  2. Myogi - Again I still am not sure why. The long ranged gunnery was nice and comfortable and the speed and maneuverability felt like a breath of fresh air after the hell of USN BB's.
  3. Caledon & Danae - A lot of people seem to hate on the RN CL's till the Fiji but playing them like oversized DD's with citadels seems to work for me so far.

I do like the Karlsruhe, but I finally found out that it actually IS a light cruiser.  Gotta play it the same. 

Fully upgraded, the Myogi is nice.  It struggles when uptiered.

I played the Caledon long enough to get the Belle, and unlock RN DD's.  That line isn't for me.

[RLGN]
Members
11,461 posts
20,410 battles

Like; Mutsuki, (stealth and kill anything torps,) Emerald, The Donut, Omaha’s sisters, (don’t actually play Omaha,) Dallas, (I like it’s looks,) South Carolina, New York, Colorado, Gneisenau, Bogue, Myogi, K, N, and Makarovburg.

Dislike; GC, Derpski, any RN cruiser that isn’t Emerald, Shinyhorse, NC, (almost) anything high tier.

[WOLFC]
Members
171 posts
7,583 battles

The Dallas, I so tried to make that thing work. I just keep getting my butt handed to me in that ship.  25% win rate in her. She brought my total win rate under 52% trying to finish that one PEF campaign mission.  :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
1,917 posts
1,426 battles

I was gonna say d'Aosta, but that one seems popular in here.  Konigsberg comes to mind, as well.  Don't have any good ships that I hate.  Texas, maybe?

Edited by CaptainKaitoGhost

[CHMC]
Members
367 posts
8,796 battles

My counterculture list of ships are as follows:

Pensacola: Thing is a straight up slayer in the right hands, super maneuverable with devastating AP and hard hitting HE.
Indianapolis: IMO the best premium US cruiser a better Pensacola with radar.
Prinz Eitel Friedrich: Cruiser can opener with the best secondaries south of T8.
Mutsu: Its cute how you think angling will do anything.

Overrated ships
Scharnhorst: It was so much better when it came out but now everyone knows how to engage it..
Tirpitz: I love this ship but you will never have a bigger target on your head, not as tanky as the Bismark.

[U571]
Members
1,957 posts
13,346 battles

Boat I like that I hear people complain about:

Abruzzi, enjoy this bote a lot.

Nurnberg, I enjoy this one and it's Russian Twin.

Bote I dislike?

Mid Tier Russian DDs were difficult for me.

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles

I love Mutsu.  Ill never understand why people dont think shes a great ship. 

I hate Fuso.  Ill never understand why people think shes a great ship.

Those two aside, I cant get into the US BBs.  I finally stopped the grind at Iowa, theyre just boring.  Terrible secondaries, decent guns if you like that bow on snoozefest playstyle, and the kind of concealment only a borderhugger could love.  Give me IJN AP secondaries with just a touch of HE and those big guns any day.

Also dont like CLs.  If youre ship doesnt have at least 203s, we jsut cant be friends.

[EQRN]
Members
1,376 posts
12,545 battles

1) Dunkerque

2) Dunkerque

3) Dunkerque

and people, plus one prominent CC, say PEF is the worst premium ever?  I'll take PEF morning,  noon, and night, co op, random, ranked and scenario over Dunkerque.

[4HIM]
Members
2,509 posts
8,210 battles

I like Aigle. It generally gets panned. 

Also do well with the Nuremberg.

Love the Mutsu. 

I can't make the Missouri work.  I average higher damage in Mutsu than the MO. 

[-AGW-]
Members
869 posts
11,954 battles

Myogi, New York. I did OK with Big old Fred even and lots of people hate it.

I don't get Cleveland at all. Can't do anything useful with Alsace either. Nelson is meh.