You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JackG79

Got a few ships, are any of these any good?

27 comments in this topic

Members
213 posts
4,259 battles

Wanted to get some gold,, and a I have been looking at getting Asashio for gold in the tech tree.  

Grabbed a santas big gift boxes....   5 of them.   

Of the 5....   THREE of them were ships.    

Ship 1:     German Destroyer    T-61  

Ship 2:    Germany Destroyer   Z-39 

Ship 3:     British Battleship -   Duke of York

Are any of these any good?  

Keep in mind the 5 boxes cost $12.50   ... 

(I was thinking about it, and I guess even if they are just filler... that the 3 slots, and three 10pt captials was probably worth that all in itself. ) 

Was this worth it? or are all three of these boats just filler?!?!?  What do you think??   I have never used any of these boats. 

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,605 posts
5,131 battles

T-61 is excellent, Z-39 is good and Duke of York has divided opinions, with most leaning to meh.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,474 posts
20,416 battles

Good or especially if you think them bad; keep them anyway; it keeps a possibily disliked ship from appearing in a crate in the future.

(Jealous, no KGV, no DoY.)

Members
213 posts
4,259 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Good or especially if you think them bad; keep them anyway; it keeps a possibily disliked ship from appearing in a crate in the future.

Yes, I agree, I'd never sell a premium boat.  You get a nice chunk of gold if you double up in a crate.)   I have a TON of low tier premiums ive won or got for the 1 or 4 dollar specials along the way. I just keep them as collectors items. 

[RKLES]
Members
9,863 posts
11,700 battles

Duke of York is an excellent ship if you use AP Ammo like most Battleships should use, AA is decent as is the armor, with ruddershift mounted the turning time is good, and the Hydro when activated during times you suspect danger can save you from enemy Torps and make the life of smoked DD miserable as you detect them, then kill them with your 10 main guns. Also the secondary guns are serviceable to aid your when a DD gets that close or if forced to close in brawl with another BB or CA.

And I have heard from some gamer news sources that Wargaming plans to add subs this year which will only increase how valuable your hydro on Duke of York will be. I actually gave my Duke of York captain Vigilance skill to further increase the range of my Hydro and to help during the times the Hydro is down. As far as the 1 missing heal on DOY, Superintendent skill brings and using premium version of the Consumable will bring you up to 4 heals which is alright.

[WOLF2]
Members
445 posts
15,345 battles
2 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

Yes, I agree, I'd never sell a premium boat.  You get a nice chunk of gold if you double up in a crate.)   I have a TON of low tier premiums ive won or got for the 1 or 4 dollar specials along the way. I just keep them as collectors items. 

And they come in handy for earning coal. I'm glad I kept all those low tier ships they've given us as gifts over the years

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,304 posts
21,564 battles

For $12 you did well Jack, Gratz that is a nice haul! You really can't beat that with a stick. I have two of the three ships, missing the T39, but enjoy both the others. Most definitely good to keep and use to retrain captains or farm extra first wins. Seriously you got those ships for 4 bucks a piece, really nice! 

• Funny 1

Members
213 posts
4,259 battles
Just now, Klaatu_Nicto said:

And they come in handy for earning coal. I'm glad I kept all those low tier ships they've given us as gifts over the years

funny you say this, because i was just thinking to myself (Now I have 3 more snowflakes to knock off and go get some more easy coal in Co-Op) 

Members
213 posts
4,259 battles
Just now, Taylor3006 said:

For $12 you did well Jack, Gratz that is a nice haul! You really can't beat that with a stick. I have two of the three ships, missing the T39, but enjoy both the others. Most definitely good to keep and use to retrain captains or farm extra first wins. Seriously you got those ships for 4 bucks a piece, really nice! 

Thanks man!!  I figured they were atleast worth what I paid for them.  What I would give for a Mighty Mo though. LOL  I need to give the wife my credit card before I go plastic crazy. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,304 posts
21,564 battles
2 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

Thanks man!!  I figured they were atleast worth what I paid for them.  What I would give for a Mighty Mo though. LOL  I need to give the wife my credit card before I go plastic crazy. 

Just remember that you gambled and won. There are plenty of threads here where people have spent hundreds of dollars on the crates and gotten nothing of any note. You were quite lucky so remember that before trying your luck again. You can spend more than you intend if you are not careful. 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,605 posts
5,131 battles
Just now, Taylor3006 said:

Just remember that you gambled and won. There are plenty of threads here where people have spent hundreds of dollars on the crates and gotten nothing of any note. You were quite lucky so remember that before trying your luck again. You can spend more than you intend if you are not careful. 

Heed these words, I repeat something similar to myself as a mantra to not buy anything else every time a "I won Mo/Musashi/Kron/Kutuzov" thread pops up.

Members
245 posts
6,367 battles

I have Dork of Pork. If you like her or not will depend on play style. Playing support early (shell choice is critical you can spam HE and do ok, but knowing when to switch to ap is critical for best results). Late match is when she gets crazy ,hydro and 10 gun salvos make dds crazy. She eats CAs for lunch.  Up close her 10 guns will get another BB attention broadside . She has improved bounce angles but the 14 " guns means you won't overmatch much. 

Edited by Cirdane

Members
4,134 posts
15,461 battles

Grats! T-61 is excellent. Her guns are borderline weak but the make up for it with good accuracy. If you spec TAE on your captain, she has a 61.2 second torpedo reload time.

Z-39 is a good torpedo boat though the slow reload and turret rotation of her guns makes her a poor knife fighter.

Duck of Yuk... Need I say more.

[WOLFA]
Members
100 posts
3,210 battles

They all crap. Gift them to me and I'll send your $12.50 back.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,401 posts
10,175 battles

I don't have the 2 DD's, so no comment though if they are anything like similar tech tree ships, they should do fine.

DoY is, unfortunately, an over nerfed KGV because instead of just giving us the choice of a broke AF DF AA consumable and a Heal, they went with inferior heal, kept the main battery nerfed cause AA, etc. That said, she's still a solid ship and as short as the range is, her mid-short range AA bubble is 502 DPS with just the 10% flag. May be a bit more of a troll setup, but BFT, AFT, manual AA - DPS should be around 168 at long range, with the auto cannons putting out another 600 and change, putting you close to 800 DPS before you add in the 30% bonus that'd also be applied to a focused target. To give you an idea on how much power that is, the Saipan's tier 9 DB's have 1960 hp. Once you factor in the 30% focus target - it's got around 53% chance per second to down one of Saipan's planes. Throw in an UK cruiser AA captain and laugh when a Kaga thinks he's going to kill you. 

[KKM]
Members
808 posts
9,415 battles

I picked up Ashitaka,  Kii,  Monaghan,  Nikolai, Krym, Okhotnik, and Perth this Christmas season.  I like Perth and Nikolai is a beast of course.  Monaghan is a great little cap contester.  I have not played the Krym, Okhotnik, Ashitaka, or Kii yet.  I had already bought the T-61 and have been using it to great success in Ranked Sprint.   T-61 is one of the best t-6 DD's available and allows me to play very aggressive in caps.  I have one of my elite German captains with 15 points that allows my Hydro to really work well, and the extended time Hydro as well.   Z-39 is a bit of a mixed bag for me.  It is not outstanding but not horrid kinda middle of the pack. 

Members
178 posts
3,473 battles

Those are pretty good ships with even greater odds of the bundle you purchased.

The t61 is nice, that 60 sec torp reload and punchy little guns seem nice, plus shes pretty. There seemed to  be a bandwagon w this boat regarding the latest t6 ranked - i still want one 

The z39 is a higher tier samey with larger caliber though less barrels 

Dont know much about the DoY but shes a looker too imo, those guns are artwork 

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,193 posts
9,171 battles

All 3 are good, some may suit your playstyle more than others. have fun with them./

Members
213 posts
4,259 battles

Okay...  I bought 3 more boxes, and got a MONAHAN... is that any good? 

[WOLF2]
Members
445 posts
15,345 battles
5 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Heed these words, I repeat something similar to myself as a mantra to not buy anything else every time a "I won Mo/Musashi/Kron/Kutuzov" thread pops up.

I bought 60 of the mega Santa boxes and won, besides the useful signals and camo, 100,000 coal, 8000 doubloons and these ships none of which I already owned and they all came with 10 point captains; T-61, Monaghan, Nueve De Julio, Boise, Ashitaka, Le Terrible, Abruzi, and Roma.  I used the gold and coal along with what I already had to get the Gascogne and Jean Bart and I still have 280,00 coal to use to get the Salem. To top it off, today I opened a box I got for completing a mission and got  the Krasny Krym  which I already owned so I got some doubloons, a slot and a 10 point captain in my reserve. 

Has anyone gotten a steel ship or the Salem in a Santa box?

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto

Alpha Tester
436 posts
10,991 battles
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Had to laugh at this. A few days ago in a match, a captain said he had gotten the krispy kream in a Santa crate. He didn't like it, so he sold it. Then he said he got the krispy kream in another Santa crate. That is bad luck.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,304 posts
21,564 battles
5 minutes ago, ol_Cajun said:

Had to laugh at this. A few days ago in a match, a captain said he had gotten the krispy kream in a Santa crate. He didn't like it, so he sold it. Then he said he got the krispy kream in another Santa crate. That is bad luck.

The very first year Santa Crates were introduced, I watched people get Emdens over and over and over. There are videos about this and the forums were filled with posts whining about it. People refused to keep the ship, would sell it, buy crates, and win it multiple times. It was THE first lesson I learned about the crates. I only won expensive ships from the first crates because I was cheap, and would only buy ships if I could get them for less than $20 and I had all from that price range, including Emden. 

3 hours ago, JackG79 said:

Okay...  I bought 3 more boxes, and got a MONAHAN... is that any good? 

The Monaghan is pretty good. I have one set up just to play Dynamo and it does really well there.