You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
freggo

Damage penalty

16 comments in this topic

[A-O]
Members
694 posts
7,116 battles

I have 2 bits of gripe with the damage to own team penalty.

1)

I have been given many a penalty in a collision when I was on the right and the other vessel hit me from the left (port) side (and often even from behind!).

International convention states that if two ships are on intersection courses the one on the right (starboard) has the right of way and the other has to give way. That's why ships have a red light on the port side and a green one on starboard (have seen them on our ships too).

My Bismarck for example has them, correctly rendered, behind B turret.

So if you where to have a ship on your starboard side coming your way you would see his RED Nav light, telling you to STOP or give way to him.

2)

If I have to pay xxx number of silver for the damage caused then the other ship should get those coins (less maybe an administrative fee to WOW) to pay for the damage :-)

Would like to hear your opinion on that.

Edited by freggo
typo
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,447 posts
17,845 battles

@freggo For collision damage both players are fined credits and sometimes experience points based on the amount of damage. Neither player gets any of those fines they are just deducted from their earnings. 

This is a game! Maritime Navigation Rules of Right of Way are not valid! I repeat THIS IS A GAME!

If you feel that the other player is maliciously at fault the use the in battle unsporting conduct report and then submit a support ticket for rules violations with the replay as evidence. 

In any case! Grow up and get a grip! THIS IS A GAME!

[A-D-F]
Members
1,830 posts

Welcome to glorious Russian game comrade. Punishment is random and arbitrary. Is fun and engaging.

• Funny 1

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
445 posts
4,768 battles

I believe it is too difficult for the game to try to assess who was at fault so both ships involved in a collision get a modest penalty.

[PVE]
Members
3,482 posts
21,653 battles
1 hour ago, freggo said:

International convention states that if two ships are on intersection courses the one on the right (starboard) has the right of way and the other has to give way.

The "Understood" (but not necessarily stated anywhere) rule is "Right of Weight" (as opposed to "right of way") meaning the heavier ships (aka: BBs/then CVs/then CAs/then CLs/& last but not least the highly maneuverable & thus more able to actually avoid a collision DDs) have the right of weight.

Circumstances can of course change this as a BB should try to turn out of the way if a DD is being focused & desperately needs to get behind the island he may be heading towards as the most extreme example of the heaviest yielding to the lightest.

"Understood Variables" would be letting the DD get ahead to spot at start & most importantly is if you load in late (no matter what type of ship you are in) look to make sure nobody is cutting in front of you before you just start spamming the W key to "make up time" for the late load in...others shouldn't be slowed to let you "catch up".

[A-O]
Members
694 posts
7,116 battles
4 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The "Understood" (but not necessarily stated anywhere) rule is "Right of Weight" (as opposed to "right of way") meaning the heavier ships (aka: BBs/then CVs/then CAs/then CLs/& last but not least the highly maneuverable & thus more able to actually avoid a collision DDs) have the right of weight.

Circumstances can of course change this as a BB should try to turn out of the way if a DD is being focused & desperately needs to get behind the island he may be heading towards as the most extreme example of the heaviest yielding to the lightest.

"Understood Variables" would be letting the DD get ahead to spot at start & most importantly is if you load in late (no matter what type of ship you are in) look to make sure nobody is cutting in front of you before you just start spamming the W key to "make up time" for the late load in...others shouldn't be slowed to let you "catch up".

"BB should try to turn out of the way if a DD is being focused"

like your sense of humor. A BB trying to get out of the way of ANYTHING is but impossible :-)

Besides, (when in a BB) if I can I move in front of my DDs/CAs and take the hits to help, or let him hide behind me!

Saved a Pensacola that way in my last game. He was all smiles :-)

[A-O]
Members
694 posts
7,116 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@freggo For collision damage both players are fined credits and sometimes experience points based on the amount of damage. Neither player gets any of those fines they are just deducted from their earnings. 

This is a game! Maritime Navigation Rules of Right of Way are not valid! I repeat THIS IS A GAME!

If you feel that the other player is maliciously at fault the use the in battle unsporting conduct report and then submit a support ticket for rules violations with the replay as evidence. 

In any case! Grow up and get a grip! THIS IS A GAME!

Thanks for clearing this up. Did not realize that THIS IS A GAME ;-)

I am not talking about malicious contact and I NEVER report someone for accidentally scraping my paint job. It happens and I have been guilty of it myself of course.

[PVE]
Members
3,482 posts
21,653 battles
1 minute ago, freggo said:

if I can I move in front of my DDs/CAs and take the hits to help

1 minute ago, freggo said:

turn out of the way

That's one option to turning out of the DDs way...rather than the BB heading behind the island turn in front of the DD to take the hits & let the DD get behind the island.

[A-O]
Members
694 posts
7,116 battles
52 minutes ago, Capn_Nugget said:

I believe it is too difficult for the game to try to assess who was at fault so both ships involved in a collision get a modest penalty.

I'm a programmer myself, so no, that is not too difficult to do actually :-)

And I realize this is not a simulation but a game. Ergo we have ships that have top speeds in excess of 60 knt :-)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,632 posts
17,066 battles
Just now, freggo said:

Ergo we have ships that have top speeds in excess of 60 knt

We do?

[A-O]
Members
694 posts
7,116 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

We do?

Basically all of them.

Go full speed and take a stop watch to see how long it takes to cover a 1km distance for example.

All the ships do this much faster than they should. Not that I complain!!

It works seamlessly and does not hurt the game. Same with Shots fired. Those are some faaaast bullets :-)

[USCPO]
[USCPO]
Members
75 posts
16 hours ago, Capn_Nugget said:

iRacing has this same problem, and it drives people (no pun intended) crazy.

You can be going along minding your own business and some guy in the process of wrecking can come sliding out of the infield right into you.  You take a massive points hit, and thats a big damn deal in iRacing because it mauls your Safety Rating, and SR is a very, very big deal in iRacing.

If you complain about it, the fanboy's will reply with something like "You should not have been in his way".

It's gets quite comical, really :)

• Cool 1

Members
2,395 posts
509 battles
21 hours ago, freggo said:

Basically all of them.

Go full speed and take a stop watch to see how long it takes to cover a 1km distance for example.

All the ships do this much faster than they should. Not that I complain!!

It works seamlessly and does not hurt the game. Same with Shots fired. Those are some faaaast bullets :-)

you do realize that the game distances are scaled .... so no ship actually goes THAT fast... or shoots  or whatever it is you are trying to make examples of real life... and then say, YES I KNOW ITS A GAME its NOT REAL" then once around make it sound like it should be real and its not but it is... and so on...
BUT this thread is very entertaining, thanks for all the fun

Edited by neptunes_wrath