Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CorvusBB39

Selling hulls

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

83
[LRM]
Members
398 posts
7,299 battles

Since I have never sold a ship I have quite a collection of A-hulls in my inventory.  I am thinking it is highly unlikely I'll degrade an elite ship so there would be no down side in selling them off.  Is there something subtle I am missing?

Edited by CorvusBB39
Forgot the ending punctuation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[NGAGE]
[NGAGE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
209 posts
6,226 battles

Nope, sell away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,291
[PVE]
Members
13,822 posts
8,895 battles
Just now, CorvusBB39 said:

Since I have never sold a ship I have quite a collection of A-hulls in my inventory.  I am thinking it is highly unlikely I'll degrade an elite ship so there would be no down side in selling them off.  Is there something subtle I am missing

Nope. Sell most of them. There are some exceptions. Keep B and C hulls of US DDs. The C Hull trades a gun for more AA. Makes a difference in Dynamo. Some torps are ok to keep. The Mahan A torps are 64kts, 6.4km torps and the B torps are 55kts, 9.2km torps. You might want to play with both sometimes.

 

Umikaze A hulls is worse than the B hull, but has a secondary gun. If you want the close quarters medal on a DD, you might want to keep the A hull. Review the differences and sell away. You can always buy it back later if you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
933 posts

I personally would not.  You always end up taking a loss when you sell anything in the game.  It's money lost if you ever have to buy it back again.  We don't know what is going to be changed in the future and I wouldn't put it past WG to have some event in the future that requires or gives a bonus that they might benefit from.

Selling things at a loss is always a step backward when you can earn money by simply playing the game, which you are going to do anyway.  The small benefit gained isn't worth it when you can earn that same benefit so easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,406
[WOLF7]
Members
11,049 posts

Yesterday you were forced to leave inventory every time you sold something, in order to get it to complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[GODS]
Members
281 posts
10,044 battles
8 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I personally would not.  You always end up taking a loss when you sell anything in the game.  It's money lost if you ever have to buy it back again.  We don't know what is going to be changed in the future and I wouldn't put it past WG to have some event in the future that requires or gives a bonus that they might benefit from.

Selling things at a loss is always a step backward when you can earn money by simply playing the game, which you are going to do anyway.  The small benefit gained isn't worth it when you can earn that same benefit so easily.

I mean you are right when you say taking a loss, but the OP is talking about things like a hull that is stock for example.  It's a downgrade to the current hull that i already owned.  For example, Im not going to just go back to a stock hull have i have the B hull or whatever.  I once sold all my stock mods and got 31 mil credits.  I have never once had to go back a hull in this game for any reason.  Maybe a few cases you would want to keep certain mods but not all of them for sure

Edited by Rickjoshi1765
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,543
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,880 posts
10,452 battles

Don't sell any cv modules at this time though.... You should be getting full value when 0.8.0 drops and removes them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
933 posts
9 minutes ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

I mean you are right when you say taking a loss, but the OP is talking about things like a hull that is stock for example.  It's a downgrade to the current hull that i already owned.  For example, Im not going to just go back to a stock hull have i have the B hull or whatever.  I once sold all my stock mods and got 31 mil credits.  I have never once had to go back a hull in this game for any reason

There is no real point in selling things you have already earned for less than you earned them for, because you don't know what the future holds.  For example, I bought a lot of port slots a while ago when they were on sale.  As such I have every ship I have ever earned.  I ended up with a stupid amount of coal from this snowflake event just for having a lot of ships in my port. That allowed me to purchase yet more ships just as a reward for things I have already done.  That small investment suddenly paid off in spades down the road.

The game builds on itself over time and snowballs.  The more you have, the more you tend to get. For all we know WG will have some event on the future where only "A" hulls are allowed or something.  Who knows.  It would suck to suddenly find that out and have to start grinding like a mad man for something you already did once in the past. 

Credits can be earned by playing the game, which you are going to do anyway.  I wouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,291
[PVE]
Members
13,822 posts
8,895 battles
6 minutes ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

I mean you are right when you say taking a loss, but the OP is talking about things like a hull that is stock for example.  It's a downgrade to the current hull that i already owned.  For example, Im not going to just go back to a stock hull have i have the B hull or whatever.  I once sold all my stock mods and got 31 mil credits.  I have never once had to go back a hull in this game for any reason.  Maybe a few cases you would want to keep certain mods but not all of them for sure

Oh yeah. There are a lot of modules that make no sense to go back to as the next one is flat out better. I kept the B hull on the Furutaka just because sometimes I like playing co-op with 6 guns instead of 3x2, but I take the 3x2 into PvP. Most of them can be sold though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[GODS]
Members
281 posts
10,044 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

There is no real point in selling things you have already earned for less than you earned them for, because you don't know what the future holds.  For example, I bought a lot of port slots a while ago when they were on sale.  As such I have every ship I have ever earned.  I ended up with a stupid amount of coal from this snowflake event just for having a lot of ships in my port. That allowed me to purchase yet more ships just as a reward for things I have already done.  That small investment suddenly paid off in spades down the road.

The game builds on itself over time. For all we know WG will have some event on the future where only "A" hulls are allowed or something.  Who knows.  It would suck to suddenly find that out and have to start grinding like a mad man for something you already did once in the past. 

Credits can be earned by playing the game, which you are going to do anyway.  I wouldn't.

You don't have to sell anything,  but its pretty pointless to keep stock stuff.  you grinded to not have stock stuff.  Why even buy the other hulls?  Its alot of money on something that you will never use.  Also I doubt wargaming is gonna say heres a mission using only stock stuff lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
933 posts
Just now, Rickjoshi1765 said:

You don't have to sell anything,  but its pretty pointless to keep stock stuff.  you grinded to not have stock stuff.  Why even buy the other hulls?  Its alot of money on something that you will never use.  Also I doubt wargaming is gonna say heres a mission using only stock stuff lol

You do you.  OP asked for opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,291
[PVE]
Members
13,822 posts
8,895 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

There is no real point in selling things you have already earned for less than you earned them for, because you don't know what the future holds.  For example, I bought a lot of port slots a while ago when they were on sale.  As such I have every ship I have ever earned.  I ended up with a stupid amount of coal from this snowflake event just for having a lot of ships in my port. That allowed me to purchase yet more ships just as a reward for things I have already done.

The game builds on itself over time. For all we know WG will have some event on the future where only "A" hulls are allowed or something.  Who knows.  It would suck to suddenly find that out and have to start grinding like a mad man for something you already did once in the past. 

Credits can be earned by playing the game, which you are going to do anyway.  I wouldn't.

You just buy back an A hull. I highly doubt WG would have a stock event though. So for most modules you can sell them. For modules that are different, of course keep those. Like both torps on Mahan. Or C hulls for AA. Or two different caliber guns. But for stuff where the stock is worse than the upgrade and there is no other benefit, sell those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
933 posts
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

You just buy back an A hull.

You can't if you sell the hull and then spend the money.  If you are not going to spend the money, there is no point in selling it in the first place.  So in the end, if you sell it AND you ever need it back, you have to grind for it a second time PLUS the loss for selling it.  If you are in the game for the long haul, to have everything and participate in everything possible, it's counter productive.

I guess if you are just after something very specific and that's it, then and only then does it make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[GODS]
Members
281 posts
10,044 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

You can't if you sell the hull and then spend the money.  If you are not going to spend the money, there is no point in selling it in the first place.  So in the end, if you sell it AND you ever need it back, you have to grind for it a second time.  If you are in the game for the long haul, to have everything and participate in everything possible, it's counter productive.

we are talking about hulls dude.  you can literally just click a button and buy it back if you want.  You won't ever need to but you can.  You will lose a little credits but we are talking like not very much for modules (you won't likely buy them)  You do not have to all of a sudden grind for a ton of battles to get this stuff back.  I don't think you know what is being discussed.  We are talking about a few hundred thousand credits in most cases.  

Edited by Rickjoshi1765

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,291
[PVE]
Members
13,822 posts
8,895 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

You can't if you sell the hull and then spend the money.  If you are not going to spend the money, there is no point in selling it in the first place.  So in the end, if you sell it AND you ever need it back, you have to grind for it a second time.  If you are in the game for the long haul, to have everything and participate in everything possible, it's counter productive.

You just have to get the credits and you can do that with any ship. You are right that is you sell it you get 50% back, but have to pay 100% to repurchase. So some things you don't want to sell, but others you do. If the upgrade is better than the stock item and there is no alternative in the stock item, then selling it makes sense. YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
933 posts
5 minutes ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

we are talking about hulls dude.  you can literally just click a button and buy it back if you want.  You won't ever need to but you can.  You will lose a little credits but we are talking like not very much for modules (you won't likely buy them)  You do not have to all of a sudden grind for a ton of battles to get this stuff back.  I don't think you know what is being discussed

You are selling them for credits right?  Which you want to spend on something else.  If you use those credits, do you not have to earn those same credits back again if you want the item back again?  Maybe I am missing something and apologize if I am.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[GODS]
Members
281 posts
10,044 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

You are selling them for credits right?  Which you want to spend on something else.  If you use those credits, do you not have to earn those same credits back again if you want the item back again?  Maybe I am missing something and apologize if I am.

you arent missing anything.  But how many times have you downgraded your ship?  How many times has there been and event for a downgraded ship?  This game been here for a few years now.  And if for some off the wall reason you need to buy something back you will literally make enough credits in 1 or 2 battles to buy it back.  So why not sell them and move up ship lines or upgrade other ships you have unless the answer to my first question to you is that you downgrade alot.  If you do that then keep them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
917
[NMKJT]
Members
3,501 posts

I have millions tied up with modules in inventory I will never use. However I don't sell them because money is so stupidly easy to make in this game, I just hang on to stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
578
[LOU1]
Members
3,456 posts
9,239 battles

OP is specifically talking about hulls, stock (A) hulls.  The ones with the poor rudder shift, and other enjoyable characteristics.  If the OP is short of credits to purchase a ship or an upgrade that will provide an immediate and long lasting return, it is a smart investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
933 posts
3 minutes ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

you arent missing anything.  But how many times have you downgraded your ship?  How many times has there been and event for a downgraded ship?  This game been here for a few years now.  And if for some off the wall reason you need to buy something back you will literally make enough credits in 1 or 2 battles to buy it back.  So why not sell them and move up ship lines or upgrade other ships you have unless the answer to my first question to you is that you downgrade alot.  If you do that then keep them

That's my point.  If it's just one or two games to get them back, just play the one of two games now and don't take the loss.  You are potentially just pushing your "credit problem" down the road, plus basically interest.  If it's not a big deal later, it isn't a big deal right now either to just earn them and keep the thing you have.

If you don't believe it will EVER be useful, fine I guess, but we have no way of knowing that or what WG will do in the future.  This is just my advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[GODS]
Members
281 posts
10,044 battles
1 minute ago, Wombatmetal said:

I have millions tied up with modules in inventory I will never use. However I don't sell them because money is so stupidly easy to make in this game, I just hang on to stuff. 

when tier 10s cost close to 20 mil it makes a difference.  I sold all my stuff i don't use and was able to grab 2 tier 10s.  But its fine.  keep what you want

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[GODS]
Members
281 posts
10,044 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

That's my point.  If it's just one or two games to get them back, just play the one of two games now and don't take the loss.  You are potentially just pushing your "credit problem" down the road, plus basically interest.  If it's not a big deal later, it isn't a big deal right now either to just earn them and keep the thing you have.

If you don't believe it will EVER be useful, fine I guess, but we have no way of knowing that.

Ok then answer this question I asked you,  How many times have you upgraded and then gone back to stock?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,360
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,747 posts
14,202 battles
48 minutes ago, CorvusBB39 said:

Since I have never sold a ship I have quite a collection of A-hulls in my inventory.  I am thinking it is highly unlikely I'll degrade an elite ship so there would be no down side in selling them off.  Is there something subtle I am missing?

only credits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
933 posts
7 minutes ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

Ok then answer this question I asked you,  How many times have you upgraded and then gone back to stock?  

Never that I can think of.  That has zero relevancy on an unknown future though.  WG does things and creates events that they have never done in the past all the time.

If the credits are not a big deal to get later, then the credits are not a big deal to get now.  It works both ways.  Pushing things down the road and undoing things you have already accomplished for instant gratification almost never ends up the best possible outcome in the end.  There is often a price for it, above and beyond, later.

Anyway, I will let others respond, my opinion has been made clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
917
[NMKJT]
Members
3,501 posts
5 minutes ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

when tier 10s cost close to 20 mil it makes a difference.  I sold all my stuff i don't use and was able to grab 2 tier 10s.  But its fine.  keep what you want

Whatever works for you. With the 60% off module sale I went and bought modules for all the ships in port that had none, ended up spending 30 million silver. I've made most of that back in the past week. 

But you do bring up a good point. Using the inventory as a cash reserve for when you need to buy a ship is a good move too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×