You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Caine

Kobayashi Maru

10 comments in this topic

Members
104 posts
4,940 battles

I think this is a problem mostly for cruisers for obvious reasons

wth do you do when you realize you need to head straight to your death because if you turn someone will hit your citadel.  Is it a kiss your [edited]good bye time or is there a way out?  I always try to plan an out before moving from point A to B but sometimes a DD or something changes the parameters.

[-AGW-]
Members
722 posts
10,493 battles

Use islands to cover your turn. Sometimes it just can't be helped. You must turn. Try not to make it predictable by holding the turn at odd intervals.

[YORHA]
Members
3,885 posts
6,754 battles

Angle as best you can towards the threat and throw it into reverse.  It confuses the reds and buys you some reload time.

Edited by JCC45

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
11 minutes ago, Caine said:

I think this is a problem mostly for cruisers for obvious reasons

wth do you do when you realize you need to head straight to your death because if you turn someone will hit your citadel.  Is it a kiss your [edited]good bye time or is there a way out?  I always try to plan an out before moving from point A to B but sometimes a DD or something changes the parameters.

Hit the brakes and start reversing

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
816 posts
12,877 battles

This game illustrates pretty well the "angle and throw it into reverse" approach. That situation happens at about the 11:00 minute mark, after the friendly Gascogne was sunk, where I angled against a Richelieu heading right at me and counted on my team mates to take care of the enemy Alsace that had my broadside. Alsace was kept too busy to worry about me. And the Richelieu in front of me found the experience less than satisfying. Yeah, I got lucky. But it does illustrate what has been recommended above.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,961 posts
10,459 battles

It is a hard judgement to make but when you are not getting out no matter what you do taking someone with you is a win for your team and when that point comes engage RAMMING SPEED!

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles
52 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

engage RAMMING SPEED!

Assuming of course you are close enough to live long enough. I have had my ram denied, and denied the rams of others, quite a few times - often when I was excruciatingly close.

Of course if you are a DD and they are a CA or BB, the chances of you delivering anything more than a flooding can be slim... and then you are in Glowworm mode.

[SIM]
Members
3,169 posts
4,955 battles

Take a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree angle. Bait the shot from the target ahead of you, then swing into the 90 degree turn. If that won’t get you to safety right away, then adopt a 45 degree angle again before they reload to bait their shot once more. You have to mitigate in these situations, and do your best to continue moving to safety. 

Edited by SkaerKrow

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,961 posts
10,459 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Assuming of course you are close enough to live long enough. I have had my ram denied, and denied the rams of others, quite a few times - often when I was excruciatingly close.

Of course if you are a DD and they are a CA or BB, the chances of you delivering anything more than a flooding can be slim... and then you are in Glowworm mode.

Of course it is never guaranteed, the Monitor and the Virginia both tried to ram at Hampton Roads and both failed and they were both less than maneuverable ships that had a maximum speed of 4 knots.

Members
808 posts
9,369 battles

Sometimes it just works out that way man despite good positioning and smart play.  Today in Ranked Sprint I was alone in my Leander on 3/4 health vs a 3/4 health Bayern who was sitting in the center ring of epicenter.  I really didn't have a choice but to force battle.  I was not picking him apart from a distance fast enough and if I smoked up I wouldn't see where he was maneuvering around the center cap.  I charged into the cap juked a bit and got around his guns and got him with torps but I assumed I was going to die in short order.   The Leander is not known for its ability to bounce BB AP.  Once in a while you just have to pull the LEROY JENKINS and bite the bullet.  Once in a while it works out and more often than not you wind up as a burning hulk sliding beneath the waves.  That is the breaks man.  Cruisers...fun and engaging...even challenging. Makes those times you pull it off so much more sweet.