Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

3rd 19 point captain, and a ridiculous Nicholas game.

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,030 posts

So, FINALLY  Alsace's captain is at 19 points.    I ground it to 18+, then applied a liberal dose of E-XP to finish it off.  Since I still have about 30% of it's grind to go, those elite xp will be replaced shortly, lol.  (not to mention the grand time I've been having terrorizing things with DM/Salem and their 19 pointer.   Heck, today I made a Yamato run for cover from the relentless rain of shells- too bad for him, the island he hid behind was low enough for me to shoot over, lol:cap_rambo:)

I just got out of a Nicholas game where I pounded 8 friggin citadels into a hapless Kuma.  EIGHT of em!   I don't think he liked me much...

Probably old hat to a lot of you, but I just find it hillarious every time I start racking up cits with the lil pea shooters on my destroyers.   I mean he was nice enough to stop dead full broadside perfectly framed between 2 islands at can't miss range.   He then had the common courtesy to NOT use his DCP to fix his engines when I blew them out- so I could continue my target practice.  AND he didn't launch torps at me.    His annoying buddy in the Shenyang kept trying to pepper me, but I wasn't having any of that.

Anyhow, I've been grinding the DD portion of the Prinz mission today, and it's been interesting to say the least!   Some great matches (Nicky, Mahan; Leningrad; Haida;Benson)  and some real stinkers- inc a Fushun match where all I accomplished was a single spotted ribbon.   Huang He and I spotted each other at the same moment- at sub 5 km.  My torps missed- his didn't...   FFFFFFFFFFFFudge!!!   S'okay- next game in that ship rocked!

Just for the hell of it, I started the RN DD line.  Powered through Medea in 3 games- what a fun little bote!  Started Valkyrie right with another monster game.   I moved on though, cuz I'm 2 items- or 2 duplicates shy of completing the collection, and tier 3 DD's aren't gonna do it.

Well, off to finish up the last few hundred base xp to get that container!

• Cool 2

[KP]
Members
414 posts
202 battles

Congrats I just got my 64th 19 point on my main account. Once you get 6-9 of them they multiply like crazy.

[RLGN]
Members
11,499 posts
20,433 battles

Actually kept Nicholas after getting the snowflake. (I sold it back in the day.) Who cares if the A hull’s AA guns might as well be confetti launchers; those 127/54s (or whatever they are,) were a blast in the game I played!

(Only one of my old, ‘this sucks! Sell it!’ ‘buy again-get snowflake-sell again,’ ships I kept.)

[ARGSY]
Members
13,580 posts
8,775 battles
1 hour ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Powered through Medea in 3 games- what a fun little bote

I'm keeping mine - I never know when there's a day I'll be done with heavy grinding and just want to chill in low tier co-op for a while.

The whole freaking horizon tilts when you take corners hard, and she can torp from stealth. Never going to sell her. Most fun I ever had in a T2 destroyer.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,030 posts
26 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Actually kept Nicholas after getting the snowflake. (I sold it back in the day.) Who cares if the A hull’s AA guns might as well be confetti launchers; those 127/54s (or whatever they are,) were a blast in the game I played!

(Only one of my old, ‘this sucks! Sell it!’ ‘buy again-get snowflake-sell again,’ ships I kept.)

Nicky was one of my favorites- once I got the hang of the 5/38's.  Then I got Farragut, and IT became my favorite- until I got Mahan, and it's still my favorite, lol.   Don't know why, but I always seem to do well in Mahan.   I think it's the extra offside torp launcher- for those "uh oh!" moments.

Benson is an entirely different animal, and I'm still trying to get used to it.   You just can't gunboat in high tier pve any longer- it gets you killed.  I like the ship, but tier 8 mm isn't much fun.

I didn't buy back any ships for coal.  Too many in port already!

[WOLF9]
Members
4,030 posts
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm keeping mine - I never know when there's a day I'll be done with heavy grinding and just want to chill in low tier co-op for a while.

The whole freaking horizon tilts when you take corners hard, and she can torp from stealth. Never going to sell her. Most fun I ever had in a T2 destroyer.

Agreed.  It doesn't even need a decent captain- I just had a 3 pointer in it.   It's the scourge of South Carolinas, Kawachis and St Louis's- and anything else too slow to avoid me, lol!

I'm kinda glad for the snowflake event- it gave me a good reason to finally play a whole bunch of ships just sitting in my port.   Several of them turned out to be really fun, like Haida; T-61; Acasta; Huang He; Ashitaka; Fuso,  etc.

[RLGN]
Members
11,499 posts
20,433 battles
38 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Don't know why, but I always seem to do well in Mahan.

My first Ranked season (#2, I think?) I bought Mahan because it was the only ship I felt I’d have a chance with. I might have fxp’d the upgrades, but I don’t recall.

However many games I played, I had a 60% wr and stopped at R15.

MONTHS later when I’d raised the general level of the rest of my lines closer to Tier 7, I went back to Mahan and realized I’d played the games I did that season without any modules...

• Funny 2

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,804 posts
16,885 battles

@Fletcher7_1944. If you want to maximize free and captain xp take on the Dunkirk scenario. I'm rocking 30k captain xp with Sims, type 59 cammo, and all the flags I can fly. You can definitely maximize returns in that scenario better than in rsndoms.

Nicholas is one of the best tech tree DD out there. I kept her A hull because those 5/38's don't float like the 5/54's all US DD's have from the B hull on.

[FML]
Members
2,985 posts
12,982 battles

I had started down the USN DD line am was up to Clemson (which was pure seal clubbing job), when I read that Nicholas was a let down. So I stopped. Won the Farragut in the Christmas 2016 Santa grind event, and played that - was great fun. But heard the Magna wasn’t very good and I was low on port slots at the time, so I stopped for 6 months. 

Eventually bought both and they were very good and fun DDs.

I thought the B Hull Nicholas was a downgrade by losing a gun, but the RoF buff made up for it, and more HP which was sorely needed. Solid ship, fun, but I can see why people thought it was a downgrade cos you weren’t smashing T3s anymore.

The Mahan’s third launcher resulted in much surprise hilarity and again was a good solid DD, but I can see why people got frustrated with her relative detection to T8s, and need to yolo torp battleships. 

But neither ship was bad - far from it! And cos I had managed my expectations so much, it meant I had fun in both. 

[ARGSY]
Members
13,580 posts
8,775 battles
7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

MONTHS later when I’d raised the general level of the rest of my lines closer to Tier 7, I went back to Mahan and realized I’d played the games I did that season without any modules...

I ground through the Emile Bertin without any modules on purpose because I couldn't afford them, but that's a different matter.

However, I DID manage something akin to your booboo with the Normandie. I put the modules in. However, when selling unwanted hulls after I finished her grind (including some of the best games I'd ever had up to that point), I was puzzled to find her B hull, fire control and engines in the inventory. That was when I realised they had been sitting there throughout the entire grind, bought and paid for because she was a prize ship, but I'd never used them! 

• Funny 1

Members
614 posts
5,529 battles

I have one 19 point captain for my Russian DDs. Now I'm grinding other lines, playing ranked, doing missions... I find I'm not using him enough to get the free xp needed to quickly promote my other captains.

Can anyone give me any hints on how to get my other captains to rank 19 faster?

[RLGN]
Members
11,499 posts
20,433 battles
1 hour ago, HyperFish said:

I have one 19 point captain for my Russian DDs. Now I'm grinding other lines, playing ranked, doing missions... I find I'm not using him enough to get the free xp needed to quickly promote my other captains.

Can anyone give me any hints on how to get my other captains to rank 19 faster?

Put him in your Okhotnik and play him in five Co-op games a night. (Should be easy exp.)

If you’re willing to not necessarily have the ‘perfect’ set of skills for a ship class; cycle the captain you want to promote through all his navy’s premium ships for first wins. In Randoms, (more burst points/win,) or Co-op, (more games per time block.)

Play them in the weekly Op if possible, (more burst points/win.)

Use premium time and whatever camo, xp and cxp signals you’re willing to expend.

Play him in his chosen ship in at least five games a night, (hamfisted, raw, xp grinding; Randoms or Co-op, it doesn’t matter.) Of course a Random game can nets more xp/game, but a good Co-op WIN can sometimes net more than a Random game LOSS.

WIN GAMES, whatever the mode.

(‘Play five games’ is nothing more than a convenient number I choose and use; it is enough to make good ‘xp/cxp’ grind progress, without being so many repetitiveness and/or boredom really have a chance to set it.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Sign in to follow this