You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Friday Night Fights - Ranked Sprint Battles

29 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,405 posts
7,952 battles

640px-A_Sailor_stands_watch._%2812309088

*pictured - sailor observing a possible OPFOR submarine at sunset onboard USS Donald Cook (DDG-75) in the Central Atlantic Ocean on 1/31/2014*

How are you faring in your Ranked Sprint campaign?

The New Year has opened a new Ranked Spring session for 2019.

Tier VI destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and aircraft carriers are jumping in the fray in the hopes of making their way to Rank 1.

It's Friday, your ships and armed, fueled, and ready for action...are you up for the call and which ones will bring home a star?

"Never fear your enemy but always respect them." - John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#fridaynightfights

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[-K-]
Members
6,902 posts
11,447 battles

Budyonny is fueled up and ready to go.  Had an 81% WR with her in the last 5v5 season, so I'm expecting similar results again in 7v7.

Bonus is that several of the P.E.F. directives can be knocked off at the same time while doing the Ranked Sprint gig.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,257 posts
15,817 battles

While I have enjoyed Rank Sprint more than normal Rank, thanks in part to numerous Irrevocable Ranks and less Stars needed to earn. I have to say including Epicenter on Big Race was stupid. I'm not sure how many battles I've played on this disaster of a mode but I've only been able to win one game with the Epicenter mode. It seems like both teams are in a race to see who can derp the fastest and the team who Derps the slowest some how wins.

I think Epicenter is ok for low tiers but it becomes stupid in the Rank environment.

P.S. If you want to improve the Normal Rank maybe take a page from Rank Sprint; include more Irrevocable Ranks and don't require so many Stars to advance. Also don't think we Didn't notice the absence of the Rank 10 Wrap up article which should have include how many people played Rank 10 and Ranked out. Normal Rank lost its appeal because of its Toxic and Grindy Nature. I assume this is why Rank Sprint was so radically changed. But if you think Rank with Arms Race is going to lure more people into the mode with out changing the Grindy nature I don't think it will be a success. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,062 posts
22,500 battles
2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

While I have enjoyed Rank Sprint more than normal Rank, thanks in part to numerous Irrevocable Ranks and less Stars needed to earn. I have to say including Epicenter on Big Race was stupid. I'm not sure how many battles I've played on this disaster of a mode but I've only been able to win one game with the Epicenter mode. It seems like both teams are in a race to see who can derp the fastest and the team who Derps the slowest some how wins.

I think Epicenter is ok for low tiers but it becomes stupid in the Rank environment.

P.S. If you want to improve the Normal Rank maybe take a page from Rank Sprint; include more Irrevocable Ranks and don't require so many Stars to advance. Also don't think we Didn't notice the absence of the Rank 10 Wrap up article which should have include how many people played Rank 10 and Ranked out. Normal Rank lost its appeal because of its Toxic and Grindy Nature. I assume this is why Rank Sprint was so radically changed. But if you think Rank with Arms Race is going to lure more people into the mode with out changing the Grindy nature I don't think it will be a success. 

Sorry, Bear, but BigRace-Epicenter is just fine.  If there's any problem with it in tier 6 Sprint, it's that it may be too small of a map.  OTOH, that might just be a plus.

I'm sorry, but I just can't take complaints about Epicenter seriously.  Every single justification for disliking it I've ever see has been completely illogical, if not downright stupid.  I think that Epicenter is no better and no worse than Domination mode.  In point of fact, it's exactly the same as Domination, except that instead of having 3 circles spread across the map, the 3 circles are concentric and in the same location.  Domination is designed to spread teams out.  Epicenter is designed to have them be more focused on the center of the map.  Neither is inherently better or worse than the other.

Regarding the PS, I agree completely.  Regular ranked is too damned grindy.  I've never ended a season any higher than rank 10, because I just don't have the patience to put up with the grind.  And it was only worse, much much worse, when Ranked was tier 10.  Coming off of a clan battles at tier 10 only to have to do tier 10 ranked only makes everything that much worse.  

Honestly, I don't think that adding Arms Race to regular Ranked is going to change a thing.  Ranked will be every bit as grindy as it was before.  And arguably, it might produce stupider teams than in the past as players do stupid things to grab powerups, which I can see causing immense frustration in players who are seriously trying to rank up and out when they're losing games left and right due to less serious players acting stupidly because this Arms Race mode.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,923 posts
15,724 battles

Can you guys maybe not put a Sprint right in the middle of Christmas and New Years next time?

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester
5,257 posts
15,817 battles

@Crucis I don't have a problem with Epicenter in normal Random battles. In fact I very much enjoy playing Epicenter on Trident with T6 and T7 ships. Epicenter on Tears of the Desert is also ok as it forces people to play the game differently. There are even some days I would rather play Epicenter than a Standard battle mode because it forces ships attack the something instead of camping in the back doing who knows what. My problem with Epicenter in Rank, specifically on the Big Race map, is the lack of cover on the center cap. Both Trident and Tears of the Desert maps the Center cap has cover for destroyers or is big enough that a Destroyer can be on without getting spotted from the other side. Big Race has a small center cap with no cover and even the stealthiest ships have trouble not getting spotted and sunk. WG should have used Trident for Epicenter as it is a map better suited for T6 ships. Big Race is a map rarely seen by T6 ships as it is more designed for T5 and lower. 

@Edgecase I wondered why a Rank Sprint seasons was being run over the holidays, while also running Clan battles. I like having things to do in WoWs that isn't just ship grinding but maybe only run one or two events at a time. Also the events shouldn't compete for a players attention. 

[WOLFG]
Members
6,247 posts
4,119 battles
2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

My problem with Epicenter in Rank, specifically on the Big Race map, is the lack of cover on the center cap.

Gotta say, with a BB or a high DPM cruiser, that is a target rich environment.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
2,599 posts

OP, not participating....  Tried three battles and each were complete Stomps.  Sorry, the quality is just gone from the samples I've participated in.  I'd love to deploy; but, losing every match just gets old when half of your "made up team" paint themselves blue, charge the enemy for no logical reason and die, screaming at the rest of us for not being aggressive......  Once a fluke.  twice a happen stance.  Three time at different times is problematic.

In fact, I'm playing mostly COOP now and a few random/scenario's most nights when the clan, what's left of it, gathers (the three of us.......)    Just not value added to play ranked because the rewards don't merit the time it takes; when, you are on losing teams almost all of the time...

Sorry, just the way it is..........

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,062 posts
22,500 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

@Crucis I don't have a problem with Epicenter in normal Random battles. In fact I very much enjoy playing Epicenter on Trident with T6 and T7 ships. Epicenter on Tears of the Desert is also ok as it forces people to play the game differently. There are even some days I would rather play Epicenter than a Standard battle mode because it forces ships attack the something instead of camping in the back doing who knows what. My problem with Epicenter in Rank, specifically on the Big Race map, is the lack of cover on the center cap. Both Trident and Tears of the Desert maps the Center cap has cover for destroyers or is big enough that a Destroyer can be on without getting spotted from the other side. Big Race has a small center cap with no cover and even the stealthiest ships have trouble not getting spotted and sunk. WG should have used Trident for Epicenter as it is a map better suited for T6 ships. Big Race is a map rarely seen by T6 ships as it is more designed for T5 and lower. 

While I wouldn't have minded Trident-Epicenter, I don't see the lack of cover in the middle of Big Race-Epi as a problem.  Hell, I wish that Ocean was used for Ranked and Sprint.  To hell with cover.  Get out there and fight!!!  Fire and maneuver!  Every damned map shouldn't be World of SeaTanks.

[POP]
Members
1,276 posts
8,812 battles

First Sprint. Fantastic. Got to rank 1 in about a week. 

Second sprint: Uggghhh... 15 matches and just cleared rank 7. I'm not going backwards very fast because well over half the time I have the most damage. But when on BB is AFK, the one cruiser runs for A1, and a DD sits in smoke, doesn't spot, then dies from torpedoes... it's kind of hard to win. Not hard to keep a star, but not possible to win. 

I've seen two of three happen in two matches today and two matches yesterday. All three happened the day before. 

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,748 posts
10,929 battles

This season has been the most challenging of all the Ranked Sprint seasons. I've decided to take a break. When your to the point of considering taking signals off, consumable boosts off, and your good cammo because you feel like it's being wasted. It's time to take a break.  Good gaming to everyone who is doing well!

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,748 posts
10,929 battles
8 hours ago, OgreMkV said:

First Sprint. Fantastic. Got to rank 1 in about a week. 

Second sprint: Uggghhh... 15 matches and just cleared rank 7. I'm not going backwards very fast because well over half the time I have the most damage. But when on BB is AFK, the one cruiser runs for A1, and a DD sits in smoke, doesn't spot, then dies from torpedoes... it's kind of hard to win. Not hard to keep a star, but not possible to win. 

I've seen two of three happen in two matches today and two matches yesterday. All three happened the day before. 

I have seen a unusually high amount of people who have crashed in this season. I would pan back and see some sitting in spawn and their forward guns was facing forward and rear guns facing back. They had crashed on loading. Happened to me once.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,839 posts

A ranked sprint is fun, but running two of them back to back makes it start to feel like a hamster wheel. We already have the endless trench warfare of regular ranked without creating another.

• Cool 2

[SSN]
Members
63 posts
13,437 battles

WG... please consider.....

For the next ranked season, sprint or whatever... can we please get rid of the losing team, high scorer "save a star" scenario?

It's hard enough to find a winning team... but when things go wrong, you can tell when your "teammates" make the decision to not play for the win, and "play for the star". This completely changes the mindset of the game and of course screws the players trying to win.  NO "save a star scenario" ends that potential mindset.

You win a star or not. Period. 

Just a thought to consider please. 

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,743 posts
19,935 battles

Why did WG place CV's into ranked sprint? The reason why it was not included in clan battles or normal ranked applies here.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,202 posts
7,521 battles

I liked the sprint.  I’ve never had the patience to grind out a rank 1 before.  The ability to division up with a friend was AWESOME.  It relieved some of the tension and RNG of whonyou happened to get as teammates.  Overall, the 13 or 14 games it took me to rank out were MUCH more enjoyable than any regular ranked experience I’ve ever had.  10/10 would play sprint again. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,684 posts
4,371 battles
On 1/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, Gneisenau013 said:

angry.png                                          

Obviously someone who keeps bouncing off Rank 5.

Edited by iDuckman

[-AGW-]
Members
869 posts
11,974 battles

Without having access to the appropriate OP premiums for this tier it's a bit of a grind. Last night I experienced extreme potatoness (I'm not excluding myself). When you see everybody else on your team hiding behind the same rock you know this is not going to go well.

[SALVO]
Members
22,062 posts
22,500 battles
22 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

A ranked sprint is fun, but running two of them back to back makes it start to feel like a hamster wheel. We already have the endless trench warfare of regular ranked without creating another.

Doom, I wonder if WG's point of view on this is that Sprint is aimed at a different audience than Clan Battles or regular Ranked.  And if that's their view, they may not care about running them back to back.

At the same time, I get this feeling that Sprint is still a game mode in testing.  Not so much because of the change of tier from the first pair of Sprint seasons, but because of the 2 completely different team sizes from the first seasons of Sprint.  Hey, I don't mind if they're trying to figure things out. 

[SYN]
Members
15,367 posts
12,506 battles

I finished on Saturday.

IFHE Dallas best bote.

[SALVO]
Members
22,062 posts
22,500 battles
17 hours ago, monarch09 said:

WG... please consider.....

For the next ranked season, sprint or whatever... can we please get rid of the losing team, high scorer "save a star" scenario?

It's hard enough to find a winning team... but when things go wrong, you can tell when your "teammates" make the decision to not play for the win, and "play for the star". This completely changes the mindset of the game and of course screws the players trying to win.  NO "save a star scenario" ends that potential mindset.

You win a star or not. Period. 

Just a thought to consider please. 

1000000000% disagree.  It's hard enough to find a team that's not a bunch of morons without not being able to save your butt (and rank) from their complete stupidity.  "Save a star" makes playing on those garbage teams bearable.  Not everybody is a god damned unicum who's able to go 1 vs the entire enemy team and win.

Furthermore, like so many of you "save a star" haters, you seem to think that everyone is looking to just play to not lose a star rather than winning one.  You couldn't be further from the truth.  I always play to win.  Always.  Do I end up saving a star often in losses?  You bet I do.  Not because that's what I'm trying to do, but because that's a consequence of my efforts to win, even in battles that end up as losses.

Frankly, I think that the "save a star" haters are mostly unicums who know that they can carry teams and heaven forbid that anyone who isn't a unicum has a chance to advance because they occasionally need the benefit of "save a star".

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,062 posts
22,500 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

I finished on Saturday.

IFHE Dallas best bote.

MrDeaf, I'm surprised that you were able to do it in a cruiser.  Good for you.  :cap_like:

At the same time, this weekend, I saw a surprising number of battles where there were 3 and even 4 DDs per team, with the teams filled out with 1 BB and 2 cruisers.  And in such a situation, I can see where cruisers would actually be a lot more effective than in BB heavy battles.  All of the sudden, you go from being the poor cruiser with a bullseye painted on its citadels to a lean, mean, DD killing machine.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,885 posts
3,999 battles
On 1/4/2019 at 10:32 AM, Gneisenau013 said:

640px-A_Sailor_stands_watch._%2812309088

*pictured - sailor observing a possible OPFOR submarine at sunset onboard USS Donald Cook (DDG-75) in the Central Atlantic Ocean on 1/31/2014*

The New Year has opened a new Ranked Spring session for 2019.

Tier VI destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and aircraft carriers are jumping in the fray in the hopes of making their way to Rank 1.

It's Friday, your ships and armed, fueled, and ready for action...are you up for the call and which ones will bring home a star?

"Never fear your enemy but always respect them." - John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#fridaynightfights

#anchorsaweigh

Faring well. Ranked out twice in Fuso. Love the format, but CV's have too much influence on the map still.

Otherwise having a blast.

• Cool 1

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

1000000000% disagree.  It's hard enough to find a team that's not a bunch of morons without not being able to save your butt (and rank) from their complete stupidity.  "Save a star" makes playing on those garbage teams bearable.  Not everybody is a god damned unicum who's able to go 1 vs the entire enemy team and win.

Furthermore, like so many of you "save a star" haters, you seem to think that everyone is looking to just play to not lose a star rather than winning one.  You couldn't be further from the truth.  I always play to win.  Always.  Do I end up saving a star often in losses?  You bet I do.  Not because that's what I'm trying to do, but because that's a consequence of my efforts to win, even in battles that end up as losses.

Frankly, I think that the "save a star" haters are mostly unicums who know that they can carry teams and heaven forbid that anyone who isn't a unicum has a chance to advance because they occasionally need the benefit of "save a star".

Disagree with that last bit, but everything else I agree with. I would be interested in what people thing "saving a star" behavior looks like? Kiting away from the cap when you are down on pts / ships rather than yoloing into 2 or 3 red ships at once, is that saving a star, etc...?

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
966 posts
7,272 battles
17 hours ago, monarch09 said:

but when things go wrong, you can tell when your "teammates" make the decision to not play for the win, and "play for the star".

curious, what does that look like? 

takes a special type of captain to go into a ranked game and play only to save a star. Like .. you decided to walk to the store and then jump onto a treadmill. you have to win to progress in ranked... period. 

unicum players have a marketing campaign to convince idiots to save a star to secure more wins. the "star-gate" of wows. this is dangerous information. The unicum mafia are trained killers.