You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrushWolf

A Couple of Thoughts on Clan Battles

33 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,736 posts
12,161 battles

First, the Struggle for staying in or going to a new league should only be one direction.

Second,  The amount of steel that can be acquired in a season of Clan Battles should be limited to collecting from each league one. The top clans that have topped out in Hurricane League are now starting to reroll their clans and are functionally griefing lesser clans that are never going to make it to Hurricane by steamrolling them backwards when they should not be seeing clans that are much better than themselves at this point of the season.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles

Ok, to the drive by down vote, man up and say why!

[WOLF7]
Members
12,224 posts
20 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

First, the Struggle for staying in or going to a new league should only be one direction.

Second,  The amount of steel that can be acquired in a season of Clan Battles should be limited to collecting from each league one. The top clans that have topped out in Hurricane League are now starting to reroll their clans and are functionally griefing lesser clans that are never going to make it to Hurricane by steamrolling them backwards when they should not be seeing clans that are much better than themselves at this point of the season.

Elitist rage must be anonymous!:Smile_trollface:

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

Elitist rage must be anonymous!:Smile_trollface:

I like how the EU forums are set up. You mouse over the reactions and the names of the people that used each one are listed, no anonymous drive by's.

• Cool 2

[CUTER]
Members
2,933 posts
12,231 battles
34 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

CUTER is on the cusp of Hurricane ATM. Our average queue times are almost 3 minutes, sometimes as long as 5 minutes.  It gets much worse the higher you go into Hurricane.

At a certain point teams just say [edited] this we want to play and will do whatever.  It doesnt make it right, just it is what it is.  Its just fall out from lower leagues freaking out about facing Typhoon and Hurricane clans not understanding that yes they will probably lose, but in doing so lose less than 10 points, but if they pull off the upset stand to gain 50 or more points.  And yes those upsets do happen and are team crushing to the defeated.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
1 minute ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

CUTER is on the cusp of Hurricane ATM. Our average queue times are almost 3 minutes, sometimes as long as 5 minutes.  It gets much worse the higher you go into Hurricane.

At a certain point teams just say [edited] this we want to play and will do whatever.  It doesnt make it right, just it is what it is.  Its just fall out from lower leagues freaking out about facing Typhoon and Hurricane clans not understanding that yes they will probably lose, but in doing so lose less than 10 points, but if they pull off the upset stand to gain 50 or more points.  And yes those upsets do happen and are team crushing to the defeated.

I understand that but one of the main reasons to reroll clans for this is to earn more steel. With a steel limit, you only need two victories in Hurricane to complete the mission, there would be no reason to create temporary clans to earn more.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,800 posts
8,409 battles

o7 has had alpha and bravo in hurricane for most of the season. Alpha was the first team in hurricane and bravo was the third. Blame someone else for playing better than you. 

I dont understand your thoughts, could you clarify for me? Im not sure what you mean by a struggle only being one direction or steel being limited. 

[PQUOD]
Members
1,885 posts
3,999 battles
43 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I like how the EU forums are set up. You mouse over the reactions and the names of the people that used each one are listed, no anonymous drive by's.

I wish we had that feature here too.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
2 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

o7 has had alpha and bravo in hurricane for most of the season. Alpha was the first team in hurricane and bravo was the third. Blame someone else for playing better than you. 

I dont understand your thoughts, could you clarify for me? Im not sure what you mean by a struggle only being one direction or steel being limited. 

I am not blaming someone else for playing better but I am blaming them for seal clubbing. Anyone that gets into Hurricane really has no business down in Squall but the desire to earn more steel makes it viable for them. The don't stay in the bottom leagues very long but they make life hell for all the lesser teams that may simply want to get into Storm for personal/clan pride they steamroll.

On Struggle, you struggle to get into a league and you struggle to stay in it, one or the other should be enough and I think that it should be to get in. If your clan has a bad night and lose when you are just above zero you simply drop down and if you are able to turn it around you struggle to get back into the next league again.

[O7]
11,800 posts
8,409 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I am not blaming someone else for playing better but I am blaming them for seal clubbing. Anyone that gets into Hurricane really has no business down in Squall but the desire to earn more steel makes it viable for them. The don't stay in the bottom leagues very long but they make life hell for all the lesser teams that may simply want to get into Storm for personal/clan pride they steamroll.

How do they make more steel by playing those leagues again? Also I doubt you are running into a lot of hurricane people in storm league, there are only 320 people that are currently in hurricane in all the clans. Its a fraction of the people in storm or any other league. 

Oh I see its a typo in the OP, the one should be once. The thread makes a lot more sense to me now, sorry for not realizing. 

On Struggle, you struggle to get into a league and you struggle to stay in it, one or the other should be enough and I think that it should be to get in. If your clan has a bad night and lose when you are just above zero you simply drop down and if you are able to turn it around you struggle to get back into the next league again.

So you dont think that there should be competition to go up the leagues or you dont think there should be competition in general in a competitive mode? If a clan has a bad night then it should stop playing or switch to bravo. Thats what we do, a lose at the level we are at can cost over 30 points and a win can be as low as 9 points after sitting in queue for 5 minutes or more. We cant afford more than 1 loss a night. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
1 minute ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

How do they make more steel by playing those leagues again? 

So you dont think that there should be competition to go up the leagues or you dont think there should be competition in general in a competitive mode? If a clan has a bad night then it should stop playing or switch to bravo. Thats what we do, a lose at the level we are at can cost over 30 points and a win can be as low as 9 points after sitting in queue for 5 minutes or more. We cant afford more than 1 loss a night. 

I thought they got the missions again. If those missions don't regenerate because of the new clan so what reason is there for joining a new clan after topping out in CB?

Explain how bravo works please, were have never had enough on to play more than one team?

On Struggle I just feel that one direction is more than enough.

..............-

[WOLF7]
Members
12,224 posts
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I have no interest or involvement in CB, but it kind of sounds like WG feels obligated to offer additional prizes to keep the few active CB teams playing, simply to keep the queues moving....

[-ZF-]
Beta Testers
3,280 posts
4,907 battles
39 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I understand that but one of the main reasons to reroll clans for this is to earn more steel. With a steel limit, you only need two victories in Hurricane to complete the mission, there would be no reason to create temporary clans to earn more.

thats not how that works. the missions are for X league or higher. if you get 30 wins in typhoon, then you cant go to lower levels and get more steel because those missions are completed.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
Just now, Hanger_18 said:

thats not how that works. the missions are for X league or higher. if you get 30 wins in typhoon, then you cant go to lower levels and get more steel because those missions are completed.

Having never gotten to even Storm I did not know that so there is really no reason to join a new clan after reaching the higher leagues then.

[CUTER]
Members
2,933 posts
12,231 battles
43 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Thank WG for setting it up that way.  Every other season was a set battle amount set reward amount.

No idea why they thought this change was needed.

[TOG]
Members
3,743 posts
19,935 battles

In was under the impression that once you get your steel drops per league, there's no way to go but up. You might transfer to another set up clan to do it over again, but that would be the first time I've heard this going on.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
4 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

In was under the impression that once you get your steel drops per league, there's no way to go but up. You might transfer to another set up clan to do it over again, but that would be the first time I've heard this going on.

I seem to have had the wrong impression. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this?

[O7]
11,800 posts
8,409 battles
19 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I thought they got the missions again. If those missions don't regenerate because of the new clan so what reason is there for joining a new clan after topping out in CB?

Explain how bravo works please, were have never had enough on to play more than one team?

On Struggle I just feel that one direction is more than enough.

I might be mistaken but I thought the steel missions were personal not clan based. 

There are standings for each team, alpha and bravo. They are independent of each other and the highest point from either one is used as the clans high score. We play bravo with our newer callers or on slow nights where we dont feel like taking as seriously. 

So which struggle would you remove and how would a clan move in that direction? I personally think its balanced that the struggle when you bottom out is fine because it gives you a chance to stay in the league if you have a bad night or something. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
15 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

I might be mistaken but I thought the steel missions were personal not clan based. 

There are standings for each team, alpha and bravo. They are independent of each other and the highest point from either one is used as the clans high score. We play bravo with our newer callers or on slow nights where we dont feel like taking as seriously. 

So which struggle would you remove and how would a clan move in that direction? I personally think its balanced that the struggle when you bottom out is fine because it gives you a chance to stay in the league if you have a bad night or something. 

It wouldn't matter but keeping the one going up makes more sense to me as they are really skill gates which should maybe be scaled with the Squall to Gale being very easy and then get a little harder with each step up with the one going into Hurricane being the hardest.

[SYN]
Members
7,555 posts
12,804 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

No, the struggle should go both ways. If a team is losing they shouldn't be able to stay in their league, of course, they should lose standing.

I am not 100% sure I understand your second complaint. Steel missions can only be completed once per player, playing in a different clan or just the same clans 2nd string team doesn't make any difference there. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,736 posts
12,161 battles
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

No, the struggle should go both ways. If a team is losing they shouldn't be able to stay in their league, of course, they should lose standing.

I am not 100% sure I understand your second complaint. Steel missions can only be completed once per player, playing in a different clan or just the same clans 2nd string team doesn't make any difference there. 

I was already corrected on the steel but running into greatly better clans in the low leagues late in the season is still extremely frustrating. I can't agree on the struggle as it is really supposed to be a speed bump to slow down the very best but for the less than the best it is a big wall to overcome just going up and removing the downward one isn't going to let poor clans get into Hurricane although a few more may make it into Storm the potatoes are not going to pollute the upper leagues.

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,143 battles

In reading some of this, is it possible to field 2 teams from the same clan? Is that what is meant by Alpha and Bravo? If so, how? Or is Alpha and Bravo 2 separate clans e.g. [LANCE-1] and [LANCE-2]

Sorry If this is a stupid question but I couldn’t find any info regarding in this in the CB wiki

[XBRTC]
Members
2,888 posts
9,194 battles
6 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

In reading some of this, is it possible to field 2 teams from the same clan? Is that what is meant by Alpha and Bravo? If so, how? Or is Alpha and Bravo 2 separate clans e.g. [LANCE-1] and [LANCE-2]

Sorry If this is a stupid question but I couldn’t find any info regarding in this in the CB wiki

Each clan can have an A-team and a B-team, essentially. Whichever of the two has the higher rank counts towards doing the steel missions and toward the clan's standings. The B-team allows you to let less experienced people play without risking the clan's rankings, basically.

That said, you don't get progress on the steel missions from playing in B-team, unless your B-team has a higher rank than your A-team does.

And yeah, we've seen the steamroller thing happen. A couple of times, we've gotten our [donkeys] handed to us by some very, very high-end folks who were most likely slumming it down in the B-team. And hey, @1nv4d3rZ1m, I really appreciate that you take care to make sure that us lesser beings don't lose more than 9-10 points when we get steamrolled. It really makes the beating that much easier to take.

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
1,403 posts
8,150 battles
28 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I was already corrected on the steel but running into greatly better clans in the low leagues late in the season is still extremely frustrating. I can't agree on the struggle as it is really supposed to be a speed bump to slow down the very best but for the less than the best it is a big wall to overcome just going up and removing the downward one isn't going to let poor clans get into Hurricane although a few more may make it into Storm the potatoes are not going to pollute the upper leagues.

I'm not sure how you're ending up against "greatly better clans." We haven't touched our Alpha rating in quite some time (working on completing wins for everyone), and yet even in our bravo rating we haven't seen a single team outside of Hurricane and Typhoon in three nights. The last time we did see a storm team, it was in the struggle to enter Typhoon.

Do you mind clarifying how much "better" these teams are? Have you looked up their ratings? Have you determined the spread between your teams for several of these instances? 

Or is this gut based inference and simple frustration?

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,143 battles
16 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Each clan can have an A-team and a B-team, essentially. Whichever of the two has the higher rank counts towards doing the steel missions and toward the clan's standings. The B-team allows you to let less experienced people play without risking the clan's rankings, basically.

That said, you don't get progress on the steel missions from playing in B-team, unless your B-team has a higher rank than your A-team does.

And yeah, we've seen the steamroller thing happen. A couple of times, we've gotten our [donkeys] handed to us by some very, very high-end folks who were most likely slumming it down in the B-team. And hey, @1nv4d3rZ1m, I really appreciate that you take care to make sure that us lesser beings don't lose more than 9-10 points when we get steamrolled. It really makes the beating that much easier to take.

Thanks for the info mate! Much appreciated :cap_like: