Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Game thoughts for 2019

8 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,710 posts
14,917 battles

Not structured.  Sorry, but you might find some interesting tidbits that mirror your own thoughts and conceptions.

Typically in most fights the game spawn points tend to break teams up into 3 distinct groups of ships.  Typically the teams are more or less mirrored in how ships are set up, or they are flipped in relationship to each other.   It's obvious which is why I assume no one seems to really notice it.  The obvious isn't important right?  WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!   It's of critical importance because it tells you what is opposite you on your position on the map.  Your flank has a DD, a CA, a BB.  the opposing player opposite you on your 1/3 of the map also have a DD, a CA, and a BB.   The more you know, the more you can anticipate and act upon so pay a little active attention to that sort of thing.  Maybe even more than a little.  Pay attention to the sector of the map you are in first.  The ships you start next to need you where you are until more is know of the disposition of the red team.   

The ship that shifts to another portion of the map takes more then just the firepower and hulls available in that area with them.  First off shifting take time and time is in limited supply.  That time gets used when shifting.   I's all about force balance.  What does your team gain if you shift?  More often then not they gain nothing.     If to many ships shift (and sometime just one ship shifting is to many!) The ship that don't shift position are now potentially and likely outnumbered on that portion of the map.   If they all shift then that part of the map is now wide open and the ships on the other side can punch through, backfield your team and take you under a cross fire.  I tend to consider this umm, whats a nice word/phrase.. ah!  "sub optimal".  Yea, pretty much eh?     This tends to result in a match that is LOST.   One ship (especially if its a well handled DD) can possibly screen the open flank and slow them down or even stop them.  If the opposition doesn't allow them selves to be stopped the DD will have to give ground or die.   Sometimes a CA or BB can pull off the same thing but its easier for a DD because DD's can hide!  (I've ended up at the top of the score board more times then not by being that lone ship trip wiring the red team).  Still, it's always going to be easier to pull off if your not doing it alone.

Always remember, you can do everything right and still get sunk.  Winning or loosing is not dependent on the actions of any one ship but on the synergy that develops with all 12 possible ships on a side.

To sum this up attack from where you ARE at the beginning of the match.. Don't shift.  Shifting created weakness.  Find the red ships and take them under fire ASAP.    Attack, does not mean Yolo.. it means get the attention of those red ship over there and keep them busy so they are not going elsewhere.   And who knows, you might catch them in a shift.. funny how shifting ships always seem to be broadside to your guns.. humm?

HE users.. once you get a fire or two set WHY ARE YOU STILL SHOOTING HE?  .oh your AP can't pen the targets bow plating?.    So don't aim for the bow plating!  Aim a little high.  Put your rounds into gun turrets or casemate area's to reduce their firepower.   Put it anywhere because it's AP damage and they can only repair 10% of that damage if they can repair unlike HE where they can recover 50% of the lost HP.   (go watch a brit BB print themselves a new ship from recovering the HE damage)  Aim above the belt!.. Aim below the belt!  (IJN 8" and larger shells especially.  You only need to get lucky with one shell to utterly ruin someones day.) 

What I've written here is only just touching on how much a thinking persons game this really is.   

Always remember the basics of victory in this game.  It is to outscore the other team.  Your survival in a match is in many ways immaterial as long as the team wins.  And you can't actually die.. a tremendous luxury over real world war fighters.  You CAN learn from your mistakes.  Which is a good thing because you will make them ((CC's, Notzer and islands. And he's mighty doggone good at this game))   ...... always.    Work on making your mistakes when you won't get caught out making them.   If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it still make the same noise?  You betcha it does! 

But, in the words of Bart Simpson  "I didn't do it.  No one saw me and you can't prove it.  So there!"

Fight your area of the map first.  And actually fight.   If your firing your guns and torps as fast as they can reload and your causing real damage that sticks your doing what you need to do.  Ships die from accumulated damage more then being dev struck.  The vast majority of the time it's accumulated damage that does a ship in.  Be out there causing accumulated damage as fast as you can reload.

If you cannot get a good shot on your chosen target, is there another target you can shoot at that has a better chance of receiving damage from you that sticks?  So shoot it!  It's how you work your way into those confederate/ High Cal accolades.

if you go for island cover to mask you from fire coming from direction X, will you still be able to put shells out in direction Y where they will do some real and useful damage? 

I've never quite figured out the good to be done by firing at target 20 Km or more off when you have perfectly good targets much much closer.  (why by the by are a threat to you if something is not done about them.)

While that island is protecting you from damage what about your teams DD out there knife fighting in the cap?  They might be able to take the opposing DD or two out by them selves but are they going to survive it if a whole bunch of red team ships are shooting at them because you aren't out there being a pesky target in your own right? 

They went to fight, if they died for no gain that's as much on you in your heavily armored and armored capital ships that can even heal damage as it is on them and enemy fire.  They are the burst damage "GLASS" cannon.. your the TANK.  So what is it with so many of you NOT tanking?  If you do not move and position to give that DD gun fire support (To shoot at what shoots at the DD!) you will have to deal with the loss of that DD and what the DD was unable to do later in the match.  Be positioned where you can shoot effectively at the RIGHT targets, at the important targets.   Same same applies to your teams cruisers, especially the more lightly armored ones.  They're only a DPM monster for your team if they're floating AND shooting and if you run out of DD's guess who gets the DD's job and is no where near as good as a DD at doing it?

World of Warships is a team play game like it or not.  If you don't like team play games I've no clue why your playing this one!

If your new the personal game skills you need to work on are gunnery gunnery gunnery first.  If your not hitting what your shooting get closer until you can hit what your shooting at.  Once you have that part down you can start working on hitting em from further out. 

Never drive in a strait line at a constant speed.  Never ever.    Safer to always be turning left or right, speeding up and slowing down.   Generating misses.  You will be shot at, you will be hit.  Try to keep the hits received to a minimum while keeping the hits you cause at a maximum.

The ship type matter as much as distance as far as level of threat.  In most cases the closer a ship is the more dangerous it must be considered.   So what if all you have is AP loaded.  if that's a DD with torpedo's ready they're likely 21" and pack a helluva bang.  Might wanna shoot the DD anyway.   (if'n you don't I will think and maybe even say bad things about you, and even if I'm THAT DD!)  Do remember there are a number of cruiser that also pack torpedo's.  Note that being larger targets they are much easier to hit!  

I know for many of you this is all "the basics"  but one should always remember the basics..

Anyway, may 2019 be a better for you then 2018.  See you in match!

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,461 posts
20,410 battles

Basically how I scorded 6-7 Confeds and HiCs in the 5v5 Sprint with Warspite.

I sometimes can’t shoot at longer ranges worth a flip; I have to be close to be most effective.

Also; when I got sick of getting sunk by destroyers in South Carolina, in started learning how to shoot at and hit them. Now, if I can see those little ankle biters, I can generally hit them.

Members
257 posts
7,656 battles

Thanks for the insights. It sounds like you know what you're doing but, like me, you're WR is sub 1000. I keep thinking I'm doing things right, but it doesn't reflect in the stats. It looks like you're in a similar situation, so why do you think that is? 

[HEROS]
Members
1,710 posts
14,917 battles
On 1/3/2019 at 6:06 PM, GambitHG said:

Thanks for the insights. It sounds like you know what you're doing but, like me, you're WR is sub 1000. I keep thinking I'm doing things right, but it doesn't reflect in the stats. It looks like you're in a similar situation, so why do you think that is? 

I've played the game since it NA launch, I was really really bad then.  I'm also in my 60's.. my reflexes are crap, and until just recently I was playing the game on a several year old business laptop. (Lenova/IBM t510 thinkpad.  Still got it, still work great but not really a gaming computer even for WOWS!) )   I am also a very aggressive player...  I don't do passive for beans.    I've played over 12k matches in this game not the test server, and not counting my secret squirrel account which has a few thousand of its own.   So I end up only being as good as the team I am on.  I'm only about 200-300 matches below a strait up 50% win rate   

I've no over arcing motivation to drive my WR into above 50%.  I play this game purely for recreation.  And don't get this wrong I love competitive play.   I've played on a comp team (SL,2nd and 3rd season) and performed very credibly.  I know how to comp play and win.  But while we do have comp play (and it's all typical tourney ladder/elim... done to death) what we still don't have is competitive clan based WAR (ie: territorial) game play.   I find clan battles... uninspiring.. and fairly boring and have delt once and never again with a clan leader that decided winning was so important that he stuffed the "lead" team with ringers (ya know high win rate, high WST rating types) and left the rest of the team to go hang.   All while saying is was "all about the clan"  The Old GUY calls [edited].  *grin*  That was all about ego, and wanting to be on the winning team.  And impatience, and a lack of working with the humit assets you have to make them better so that you not only have team, you have community which makes for even better teams.  Pretty basic stuff really.

If you want a higher win rate I know exactly what you need to do.   First always fight divisioned.  Divisioned players (that communicate with div mates.. voice comms external or built in, makes no difference, use yer voice comms).  Strait up player in divisions will have a higher win rate just because they can act and react to support each other as apposed to lone dogging it in a match.   Beyond that skill building, map knowledge, ship knowledge, ya know that stuff your all ready. working on. 

So there yer answer, and not the short fast one either, and with the whys and where fores!

Happy New Year!

Now go kick the ship out of someone! 

Warlord sends

[HEROS]
Members
1,710 posts
14,917 battles
On 1/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Basically how I scorded 6-7 Confeds and HiCs in the 5v5 Sprint with Warspite.

I sometimes can’t shoot at longer ranges worth a flip; I have to be close to be most effective.

Also; when I got sick of getting sunk by destroyers in South Carolina, in started learning how to shoot at and hit them. Now, if I can see those little ankle biters, I can generally hit them.

*grin* yea.. I don't get the massive fear of DD's myself.  Yea so they got big teeth.  In this game all the ships have big teeth... DD's be fragile itty bitty ships.. doesn't take much to kill em.   

Difference tween  BB and DD play

BB: OWCH!... turn in, Angle the armor, hit the heal keep shooting.

DD: OWCH!.. turn away, stop shooting, hit boost, pop smoke pray no stray shells hit you.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,253 posts
9,621 battles

well, 3 things i think we know, CV rework is happening, RN CVs, and USSR BBs, maybe

Sign in to follow this