Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Canadian_Reaper

Does the Hipper have weak engines?

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
280 posts
3,479 battles

First off I don't seriously play cruisers-just started the German CA line again (at Hipper) after a long time away from playing any kind of cruiser, but-

I seem to lose the Engine on the Hipper a lot, anytime a shell lands anywhere near the rear of the ship it seems the engine gets knocked out (I am not running propulsion protection btw) Is this a trait of all cruisers/ All German Cruisers (I may stop the line if Hindenburg loses its engine all the time ) Just the Hipper? Or am I just having a *really* long string (like every game) of bad RNG 

Love the ship other than this- thing seems to be able to print citadel hits on cruisers- just I keep losing the engine...

Thanks!

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,974 posts
6,102 battles

I recall it being a little more often than other ships, but it's more a function of your engagement at mid-range. Ships like Chapy or Martel have similarly fragile engines, but don't have the durability to dare to fight ~3-4 km closer like Hipper, so they stay back and take fewer hits in the first place.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,358 posts
10,940 battles

(I find if you take PM for your first skill, this usually eliminates this problem in DDs and cruisers.:fish_book:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

I've noticed when shooting Hipper with any HE from Henri IV size and up, I expect to knock out the engines every-other volley with heavy HE from battleships.

I've also detonated a Hipper with HE from Vanguard.

Overall, I think there is either an issue with the armor where blast radius is penetrating somewhere it shouldn't, or there's some kind of gap, or otherwise a problem with the armor scheme.

[RLGN]
Members
9,408 posts
18,821 battles

Thought you meant literally the title of your thread...

Don’t seem to have trouble with accel/decel on Hipper...

...RN cruisers on the other hand...

...stop on a Ten Pence? Hell, they can’t even stop on an entire uncut sheet of Pound notes.

[LANCE]
Members
452 posts
4,054 battles
1 hour ago, BladedPheonix said:

(I find if you take PM for your first skill, this usually eliminates this problem in DDs and cruisers.:fish_book:

My Grozovoi disagrees with this. I have steer gear module, PM and LS Capt skills ... if someone fires a shell on the same map my engine gets knock out!

As for Hipper, I can’t remember but doesn’t seem to be a noticeable problem on Prinz Eugen or Hindy

[STW]
Members
59 posts
13,941 battles

As a cruiser main and having moved down all of the cruiser lines, in my experience, the Hipper's engine is no more fragile than any other cruiser.  Most any large-caliber HE shells has a decent chance to knock out the engine on any cruiser, regardless of line.  By contrast, I have found engines on the Nürnberg and Königsberg get knocked out quite easily, so I take both Preventative Maintenance and Last Stand on those ships.

If someone has direct data citing the chances of engine incapacitation rates by ship, that would be helpful.  Despite my own searches, I have not found such data.

Members
93 posts

I remember the engine getting knocked out a lot on my Hipper until I got the Engine Module.  I do think the German cruisers are more prone to losing their engines (while Japanese cruisers are more prone to losing their rudders).

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,358 posts
10,940 battles
On 1/3/2019 at 7:24 PM, Bravo4zero said:

My Grozovoi disagrees with this. I have steer gear module, PM and LS Capt skills ... if someone fires a shell on the same map my engine gets knock out!

As for Hipper, I can’t remember but doesn’t seem to be a noticeable problem on Prinz Eugen or Hindy

key word was "usually". most ships I have with this skill equipt, rarely have stearing or engine failure.:fish_aqua:

as for your grozy...that's just bad luck....:Smile_amazed:

Sign in to follow this