You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

I feel I am obsolete in this game and need advice

28 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I started to play World of Warships in 2016 but since I do not have much time, I couldn't afford to have many ships and grind many lines. After long periods of not playing this game, I just realized that I am fairly obsolete in this game. Nowadays there are lots of new ships, variety, game mechanics, features that I didn't even know about them. For that reason I don't know how to play again to have some success. The problem is that the ships I have are very old, most of them when the game started in 2015, mainly american and japanese battleships and japanese destroyers, I don't know if those ships are still effective but I feel that I am at disadvantage with the game of today.

I used to like playing Tier V battleships, mainly Kongo, but I am paired against Tier VII battleships and I don't simply know what to do because I feel underpowered against Tier VII Battleships like Scharnhorst. The same happens to me with Tier V destroyer Minekaze, a destroyer I used to like in 2016 but I don't know what to do against higher tier destroyers such as Sims, Leningrad, Haida, Blyskawica. As for japanese destroyers, when I am playing my old Minekaze or Mutsuki I don't know how to play against higher Tier cruisers that have radar/hydroacustic search: Indianapolis, Yorck since smoke is no longer a valid strategy. So given that reasons Tier V is not as funny as before.

Also, battleships such as Colorado, I fear to play with it since other battleships of the same Tier can easily overcome features such as secondaries, german battleships have even torpedoes. Yet in 2016, it was said that Colorado was a brawler, lol, try to bawl a Scharnhorst or Tripitz with a Colorado and see how it will end... you can't simply do nothing but being frustrated witnessing how your secondaries are highly surpassed by not only german battleships but also french battleships and in case of german battleships eat torps. What about against destroyers? I think most destroyer players with the newer destroyers think while watching a hopeless Colorado player, let's sink this floating potato.

I think I became obsolete, probably my old ships are no longer valid in this current status or just I need to learn the game from scratch. What would be your advice? I want to enjoy this game again but I feel like traveling to the future from 1960 and being lost at this moment.

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
3,253 posts
17,301 battles

All the ships are still viable

yes they have been power crept but still usable

In fact Japanese destroyers guns got a little buff and so did the Colorado

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,084 posts
12,878 battles

Well check out some youtubers to get current.

The Kongo and Colorado are still strong, you just need to get your gruve back.

[_-_]
Members
2,312 posts
6,922 battles
13 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

I started to play World of Warships in 2016 but since I do not have much time, I couldn't afford to have many ships and grind many lines. After long periods of not playing this game, I just realized that I am fairly obsolete in this game. Nowadays there are lots of new ships, variety, game mechanics, features that I didn't even know about them. For that reason I don't know how to play again to have some success. The problem is that the ships I have are very old, most of them when the game started in 2015, mainly american and japanese battleships and japanese destroyers, I don't know if those ships are still effective but I feel that I am at disadvantage with the game of today.

I used to like playing Tier V battleships, mainly Kongo, but I am paired against Tier VII battleships and I don't simply know what to do because I feel underpowered against Tier VII Battleships like Scharnhorst. The same happens to me with Tier V destroyer Minekaze, a destroyer I used to like in 2016 but I don't know what to do against higher tier destroyers such as Sims, Leningrad, Haida, Blyskawica. As for japanese destroyers, when I am playing my old Minekaze or Mutsuki I don't know how to play against higher Tier cruisers that have radar/hydroacustic search: Indianapolis, Yorck since smoke is no longer a valid strategy. So given that reasons Tier V is not as funny as before.

Also, battleships such as Colorado, I fear to play with it since other battleships of the same Tier can easily overcome features such as secondaries, german battleships have even torpedoes. Yet in 2016, it was said that Colorado was a brawler, lol, try to bawl a Scharnhorst or Tripitz with a Colorado and see how it will end... you can't simply do nothing but being frustrated witnessing how your secondaries are highly surpassed by not only german battleships but also french battleships and in case of german battleships eat torps. What about against destroyers? I think most destroyer players with the newer destroyers think while watching a hopeless Colorado player, let's sink this floating potato.

I think I became obsolete, probably my old ships are no longer valid in this current status or just I need to learn the game from scratch. What would be your advice? I want to enjoy this game again but I feel like traveling to the future from 1960 and being lost at this moment.

Give it about three weeks and we'll all be obsolete.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[PHASE]
Members
4,951 posts
16,654 battles
13 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

I think the key is tweaking your play, whatever that may be. All ships are still good. Slow down, speed up, angle more, only use front guns rather than open up your sides to citadels..... Sometimes not shooting is the best thing you can do.

many players think this game is about shooting your guns, its much closer to chess than a typical shoot em up. hang in there.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,898 battles

You should not have too much problems with the mechanics of the game, since the basic principle of the older version do apply.  

the dynamics and the field has changed, however, and it will feel overwhelming.  but that should not discourage you.  you will eventually get used to the play style eventually.  choose the right mod, and Capt Skill to help you get a little edge, and just keep fighting back as best as you can.  only you can figure out how best to play your ship and utilize the environment to succeed.  ignore the negative comments for other teammates you may get, and just go to the next game.  

Other Nations, have been added since the beginning, and their ships and play styles diff and have their own unique traits.  explore them and see which ones you like.  

Best of luck to you Capt! :Smile_honoring:

Members
854 posts
10,722 battles

I think you way overthinking things, sorry.  These ships you mentioned aren't "Obsolete", they all still have strengths and weaknesses.  OK, YOU DO YOU, and the game does the game. I don't let the ships defy me, I let my skills defy me, no matter how crappy the ship is (T-22, Omaha, New York, Emerald, Izumo, Colorado etc etc.)

• Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,777 posts
10,943 battles

The USN line is probably the most power creeped line unfortunately. I chose that line so, it is hard grinding. The basic game play should be the same as when you played before.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,812 posts

I started in 2015, played 6 months then took a year off.  Talk about changes!  I had to buy camouflage! :Smile_veryhappy:

As stated, the ole USN and IJN lines are still valid ... just focus on the basics, get back in the groove and HAVE FUN.  Welcome back!

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,509 battles

I mean any T5 is going to be significantly outmatched by a T7 of the same type, best just avoid/ mitigate their fire by angling if possible. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,637 posts
54 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

Buy a Massachusetts.  Brawl.  Profit. 

It's the most fun ship in the game right now.

[FGNE]
Members
627 posts
3,208 battles

You are likely just a little bit rusty,  sure you might need a crash course on the latest ships but it will all come together.

[JHF]
Members
370 posts
5,861 battles

US BB's main problem is that they are slow and clumsy.
US BB's don't get good until Tier 7 and don't get real good until T8. Though by the end of this month... I doubt any surface ship player is gonna be very happy.

Colorado, is best as a mid range BB. 9km is about as close as you want to get to other BB's and avoid Broadsiding it.
BTW: German BB torps are 6km.

As for smoke..... don't smoke up within Radar Range. As for radar range.... you'll just have to study the ships or just make it a rule of thumb that under 9km from a T8 cruiser means possible detection from the entire enemy team.

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
475 posts
4,465 battles

I'll try to list out mayhaps some notables that I can remember in a fairly compact manner.  Some of this is abit rough but hopefully useful.

Open water steathfire is no longer a thing.  When you get in game go to your map settings along the side and enable Enemy last known position.  Go into your settings as well, there are many useful QoL changes made that are not automatically enabled like the size of smoke rings.

There is honestly just so much that has happened over time, generally only T7 and above will you need to deal with radar with Radar being fairly limited in the T7 Scene. Atlanta, Indianapolis, Belfast (There might be a few more but I cant remember as I came back recently as well from a break) Hydro usually starts around T5 along with defensive fire.

IJN Not much has changed so it should feel fairly familiar.  The torpedoes have been fairly nerfed so they are more easily spotted.

IJN DD guns traverse more smoothly and have great alpha against other DDs you can do ~3k a salvo if you land all your shells

Has a 2nd line of more gunboat oriented play after T8 starting from 

IJN Cruisers From Furutaka- Ibuki the 203s on the line have received Zao accuracy, they are even better gun platforms now.

Asashio has deep water torpedoes that only hit battleships and carriers (more on DWT in Pan Asian section)

Izumo got buffed

USN Not much gameplay wise has changed, the Cruisers T8 and above almost always have radar

there is a 2nd line with light cruisers now.

USN BB (Not sure if the repair party change went through if someone does know could you mention?)

USN destroyers are... if I remember right still the same. Some of them can carry defensive fire now starting around T6

Pan asian

Their Destroyers only carry deep water torpedoes with two exceptions Lo Yang and Anshan

Deep water torpedoes cannot hit destroyers

After I believe T8 they can swap out smoke for Radar

British

Battleships usually vomit HE at you, They carry repair docks inside of their ships

Destroyers short smoke quick firing guns they have the ability to single fire torpedoes

Cruisers can fire AP only with the exception of Belfast,  They carry smoke generators after T4.  Torpedoes starting at T3.

German

German Destroyers and cruisers almost always have hydro after T5(might be T6).  Karlsrule might have hydro.

German Battleships have torpedoes on the T7 and Tirpitz.  T8 is the huge secondary range for them.

Cruisers have very good hydro.  Hydro I believe starts at T4

Russian

Cruisers have flat trajectory laser guns and turn like a drunken pelican.  Have Radar starting at T8 with a long range short active time

Destroyers great guns go fast. short torpedo range

France

Go in reverse very fast. (I'll be honest I dont know enough about the higher tier ships if someone wants to fill in instead.)

Just a fairly rough sketch hopefully useful?

[KAPPA]
Members
1,684 posts
6,531 battles
1 hour ago, Airglide2 said:

I think you way overthinking things, sorry.  These ships you mentioned aren't "Obsolete", they all still have strengths and weaknesses.  OK, YOU DO YOU, and the game does the game. I don't let the ships defy me, I let my skills defy me, no matter how crappy the ship is (T-22, Omaha, New York, Emerald, Izumo, Colorado etc etc.)

...Do you mean define? Your skill defying you sounds pretty bad, honestly.

• Cool 1

Members
854 posts
10,722 battles
6 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

...Do you mean define? Your skill defying you sounds pretty bad, honestly.

Ack, yes, damn auto-correct.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Message sent.  Hmu if you'd like a div mate to team up with and help you re-learn the ropes.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
5,457 posts
12,494 battles

You could play in Tier 4 for a while to get re-adjusted.  Tier 4 has protected matchmaking so you won't see +2 tiers.

Kongo is still plenty competitive.  Minekaze is okay, but she did take a pretty heavy nerf to her torpedoes.  She was pretty OP in her previous form...whether or not the nerf hammer was too heavy is debatable.

[RLGN]
Members
11,499 posts
20,433 battles
1 hour ago, Abides said:

I think the key is tweaking your play, whatever that may be. All ships are still good. Slow down, speed up, angle more, only use front guns rather than open up your sides to citadels..... Sometimes not shooting is the best thing you can do.

many players think this game is about shooting your guns, its much closer to chess than a typical shoot em up. hang in there.

Excellent description.

I listen to some complaints and it sounds like the kvetching of someone sailing across open water shooting at anything that moves.

It’s surprising sometimes how close you can get by holding fire and using terrain for cover.

OP, @desmo_2 ninja’d me; was going to suggest what he said.

Perhaps play some Co-op to refamiliarize yourself with game mechanics, then jump back in with T1-4 to get your grove back.

[RC_MP]
[RC_MP]
Members
520 posts
15,328 battles

Play a Kamikaze R, you will never be obsolete.

Joke aside, try to play to your ship's strengths and not let the enemy dictate the pace of battle. Pick your fights before they happen. Remember that fair fights are for suckers. In the case of Colorado, use deceit by baiting shots into your armor belt at range while overmatching Germans from the bow. You have more health and can take more punishment than all other BBs (few exceptions, like Nelson). Use islands to cover a turn and limit how often the enemy can fire back at you. Don't be afraid of fires, the CO has one of the best heals at her tier.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,946 posts
11,413 battles

Just play and find what works for you. If you're playing a t5 dd only 3 ships you'll run into have radar. Atlanta and Belfast with 8.25km range on their radar, and Indianapolis with 9.9km radar range. All of their radar only have a 25 second duration, so it's not a huge threat. As for hydro just stay outside of your detection range from cruisers unless you know you can absolutely guarantee torps hits on them. T5 dds are very easy to play as all you have to do with ships like minekaze is stay 6km away from the enemy and spam them with your quick reloading torps. T5 bbs with the exception of gulio cesare are all crap bc of how often they fight t7 bbs and dds, which can kill them with 3 torps, or overmatch most of their upper belt and deck armor plating, while not being able to damage angled higher tier bbs in return. Honestly for Kongo just push through it and get nagato, it has beautiful handling on its guns and decent armor

[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,732 posts
4,371 battles
3 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

I think I became obsolete

You're more right than you know.  You have become obsolete.  You can't expect to start where you left off -- you've forgotten too much. 

Go back to Tier 1 and start over.  Re-learn the game.  You can start some new lines while you're at it, but work up your existing lines too.  And low tiers are fun!  You'll get back quickly.

[INTEL]
Members
10,879 posts
30,634 battles
4 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

Play lots of coop. If you want, I'd be happy to division coop matches with you and walk you through some of the changes. Just PM me when I am in game and remind me of this conversation.

• Cool 2

[DS-DL]
Members
100 posts

Just gonna say, Kudo's to the guys who have offered to div up. Good to see some community in the game, too bad it seems to be limited to the forum...

Edited by i_r_sensitive
Elaborate, edit 2, grammar for god's sake