The_Big_Red_1

One Piece ships vs WW2 ships

15 comments in this topic

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,356 posts
2,221 battles

i have been thinking this for a while now and i am wondering how well the ships in the anime of one piece will fare against the ships of WW2 in a naval engagement(s).

latest?cb=20061212221119

looking at this going merry's layout bombs, torpedoes or even a magazine detonation can sink/cripple the ship almost immediately not to mention the crews are not brought up to speed in regards of damage control...

Yorktown-class_carrier_technical_drawing

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,144 posts

Well for starters, One Piece, as far as I'm aware, has sails and cannons.    Now, I think theres some sorta magicks involved in that show....sooo..... maybe it could hold it's own against a carrier?
We'd have to study all the strengths and weaknesses

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,356 posts
2,221 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

Well for starters, One Piece, as far as I'm aware, has sails and cannons.    Now, I think theres some sorta magicks involved in that show....sooo..... maybe it could hold it's own against a carrier?
We'd have to study all the strengths and weaknesses

maybe those ships could hold their own against carriers but not for long since one piece navies cling on to the battleship/dreadnought mentality. and it was proven that aircraft can sink battleships easily as the sinkings of Bismark and Yamato have shown. not to mention carrier engagements took place hundreds of miles away and in which fleets never came within visual range. i find it will be very difficult for the navies of one piece to engage the navies of ww2 effectively even with their super powers. another factor of one piece navies would be the neglect of damage control. from what i have heard fire/flooding is a serious danger hazard on a warship that must be taken care of ASAP!

Members
2,942 posts
3,244 battles

Depends on how good Luffy is at AA defense. 

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,356 posts
2,221 battles

1 person cannot stop a group of fighter planes or more strafing the deck of their ship (as was the practice in ww2 which was to strafe a ship with fighter planes to soften up AA defense then send in the dive and torpedo bombers to finish the job)

Members
2,942 posts
3,244 battles

Sure they can. With the power of cartoons, all manner of [REDACTED] is possible. Such as slingshotting to the carrier and showing them a thing or two about the true meaning of love and friendship . . . or whatever it is they promote.

• Funny 2

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,356 posts
2,221 battles

also to note one piece navies guns use only cannon balls while the navies of ww2 use a mix of HE and AP shells. since one piece ships are made mostly out of wood they are likely to catch on fire more easily...

Members
3,587 posts
1,699 battles
1 hour ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

also to note one piece navies guns use only cannon balls while the navies of ww2 use a mix of HE and AP shells. since one piece ships are made mostly out of wood they are likely to catch on fire more easily...

Are you kidding?  A broadside of chain shot across that CV's deck is going to mess up all them pretty planes.

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,356 posts
2,221 battles
43 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Are you kidding?  A broadside of chain shot across that CV's deck is going to mess up all them pretty planes.

that is if it can get close if you know battles such as Coral Sea and Midway. carriers can operate hundreds of miles away. the same concept similarly applies for submarines. if it one piece ships were engaging cruisers, destroyers and battleships it would be a completely different story...

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,356 posts
2,221 battles
4 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Does Iowa count?

And can she bring in her tomahawk missiles and W19 shells?

my restriction is that of ww2 anything else is overkill

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
3,899 posts
4,132 battles
3 hours ago, Yoshiblue said:

Sure they can. With the power of cartoons, all manner of [REDACTED] is possible. Such as slingshotting to the carrier and showing them a thing or two about the true meaning of love and friendship . . . or whatever it is they promote.

This really made me laugh, because it's so true in a lot of animations, whether it's Japanese anime or cartoons from someplace else.

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,356 posts
2,221 battles

i wonder if the ships in one piece have magazines or citadels from a technical perspective. being that most if not all of the ships in one piece are made of wood instead of steel they need to have some place in the ship to store their cannonballs (aka. the ammunition) and like i said in the first post a bomb, torpedo or shell landing in that particular area will cause a massive explosion/fireball (similar to that of USS Lexington, Wasp and IJN Taiho) which will most likely kill/wound 50-80% of the crew.