Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

How to get better in Kiev

16 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
567 posts
1,600 battles

Any tips? I feel like i cant be much of a team player due to crappy concealment and getting out spotted by better dds, which in return results in everyone focusing me.

right now i stay at range and try to support bigger ships by spamming HE and throwing smoke out on guys that have pushed to far and are retreating. Do you guys ever push cap points or try and torp other ships (even though you have horrible torps). It just seems my W/L ratio with this thing is how other ships on my team perform. 

No matter how much dakka dakka HE spam i do, sometimes it just doesnt seem enough.

hanging around 50% ratio right now.

Edited by Legio_X_

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,831 battles

Russian dd line are the worst team players.  Its just the way those things play.  Don't play it like a dd, unless the situation allows it.  Just scoot around shooting stuff

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,831 battles

also make sure you get Advanced fire training.  you want to focus on extending your range.  no concealment stuff.  And consider steering gears.  The turning sucks

Alpha Tester
5,501 posts
2,625 battles

I've actually managed to get the Kiev's concealment down to 7.1 km. It's certainly not the best concealment, but it's workable.

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,831 battles

choosing concealment over AFT is silly in these russian dds.  If you have a 14 pointer then ok fine if thats your choice.  But concealment of 7.1 as a dd is not workable.  sorry.  Their guns shoot like lasers.  you want gun range not some 7.1 concealment against:

Radar

Kag 5.4

Benson, lo yang 5.8

aki 6.1

lightning 5.5

z23 6.3

and these are just the T8.  The T9 and T10 you will also face will have similar way better concealments.  It makes no sense to do any form of concealment on these things

Edited by Rickjoshi1765

[-K-]
Members
5,787 posts
9,813 battles
9 minutes ago, Rickjoshi1765 said:

also make sure you get Advanced fire training.  you want to focus on extending your range.  no concealment stuff.  And consider steering gears.  The turning sucks

I use both AFT and Concealment to be able to shoot from range, but also have somewhat decent concealment to be able to contest caps and/or go dark when need be.

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,831 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

I use both AFT and Concealment to be able to shoot from range, but also have somewhat decent concealment to be able to contest caps and/or go dark when need be.

Yes I mentioned if he has a 14 pointer thats an option.  But I would pick aft first.  then concealment

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
792 posts
13,355 battles

Don't play Kiev as standard DD. Play it like a light cruiser.

Pick survival expert for more hp and advanced fire for the range. Then you have two options and you need to decide which play stile you like more. Both have own advantages and disadvantages.

Concleament ..  try this first. It helps you sometimes play as DD with caping etc. 

IHFE  .. with this pick you are monster, you lle rarely cap stick with some ships and burn enemy to dead with decent dmg. and if enemy DD spot kills him like a piece of cake. Disadvantages: yes you ll never spot that enemy mosquitos firs so you hope for friendly radar, of friendly DD spotter or cv of enemy DD mistake start shooting. With this build u are dd killer, you can seriously dmg enemy cruisers and you are a nightmare for enemy BBs. But you will never cap :D 

Edited by Gandariel

[WOLFC]
Members
567 posts
1,600 battles
5 minutes ago, Gandariel said:

Don't play Kiev as standard DD. Play it like a light cruiser.

Pick survival expert for more hp and advanced fire for the range. Then you have two options and you need to decide which play stile you like more. Both have own advantages and disadvantages.

Concleament ..  try this first. It helps you sometimes play as DD with caping etc. 

IHFE  .. with this pick you are monster, you lle rarely cap stick with some ships and burn enemy to dead with decent dmg. and if enemy DD spot kills him like a piece of cake. Disadvantages: yes you ll never spot that enemy mosquitos firs so you hope for friendly radar, of friendly DD spotter or cv of enemy DD mistake start shooting. With this build u are dd killer, you can seriously dmg enemy cruisers and you are a nightmare for enemy BBs. But you will never cap :D 

Been told IFHE ia useless on russian dds.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
430 posts
5,241 battles
54 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Any tips?

use unique captain from the arsenal. I dropped last stand for preventative maintenance using unique captain. get speed boost module from arsenal. (P2W)

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,831 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Been told IFHE ia useless on russian dds.

Just check the math.  If I remember correct without anything it can pen 21mm.  So you can get it to 27 or so with it.  I don't use it but you will be able to pen certain bow in cruisers.  I don't know off hand

[WOLFG]
Members
951 posts
6,813 battles

Just keep in mind that you're not a DD. You're a light cruiser. Don't try to solo caps where you have no support, keep your distance from BBs, and maintain a healthy fear of radar cruisers. 

Keep your guns singing as long as something is in range. Velocity makes it possible to hit even DDs at 11+ km. 

Get AFT ASAP. Survivability Expert and DE are also excellent. 

Edited by Falls_USMC

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
792 posts
13,355 battles

so make this Khabarovsk build. and keep it. Just play it like a light cruiser, not DD. I was so disappointed with soviet dd line till i realized i just play it wrong and now i do awesome dmg with khaba /you have similar guns on Kiev/  Just play it like light cruiser keep your distance and burn them all :D

kiev.png

• Cool 1

[RWBY]
Members
238 posts
5,811 battles

Just a few pointers. During the early game push the flanks, get behind the enemy team if you can. Harass and distract them. 

HE spam is all good and well but look for broadside cruisers and BBs (aim for the superstructure). AP on Russian DDs is punchy enough to melt ships that are complacent. If you’ve done a good job of flanking they will either have to stay broadside to you, or turn broadside to your teams heavies.

Late game, keep track of the mini map and go into hunter killer mode. Chase down isolated DDs and end them. Ambush ships that sail too close to islands and put those torpedoes to work if the opportunity arises.

[ICBM]
Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

russian DDs are great team ships because they destroy the other team so effectively. They are the only DD line that can open water gunboat with relative immunity (if driven/positioned properly). Kiev still has smoke that you can use to help conceal your cruisers while you spot as the enemy team tries to hit you. 

Kiev must stay back from caps until late game. Preferably you are about 3km behind a spotting DD. If there is no DD, go to the edge of the contested cap or close to it, just close enough to get spotted and be ready for the spotting. Have an exit strategy and start kiting away as soon as spotted. Heck, someintes if I'm the only DD on the cap, i'll shoot my guns just to get spotted when I'm far enough back to not get hit. 

The trick with RU dds is that you focus the CA and BB support of the enemy DD until they fall back far enough that you can either bully the enemy dd out of cap or just straight up kill it. If the enemy capital ships won't fall back and continue to push, that's great. Burn them down. 

You run into trouble with kiev when you get too close. Just stay back and burn the world. It's harder than it sounds. You have to develop a sense of where to be and when to go in closer. That comes with experience. You must hone these skills with kiev because they become more important with Tash and Khab. Khab especially has great potential if played properly but will die quickly if you position poorly. 

Hope this helps and enjoy the kiev. Tash is even better. 

[NG-NL]
Members
29 posts
5,479 battles

What mrieder79 said.

I too enjoy supporting the team, and had a blast in Kiev. It clicked for me when someone explained that it's my job to "tank potential damage." Every round fired at you is a round not fired at your team. Where a "classic" DD might lay smoke in front of a burning retreating friendly ship, I'll shoot the enemy ships that are focussed on my buddy. Set a fire or bite a chunk with AP, move on to the next, taking pressure so my teammate can escape.

Dodging incoming fire is a core skill in this ship. And yes, it gets even better with Tashkent and Khabarovsk (except there I take the heal consumable and double-down on this tactic).

Enjoy!

Sign in to follow this