You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Admiral Hipper: what can I expect?

53 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,368 posts
1,469 battles

I purchased her last night and used free xp to skip stock modules (because [edited] that). Is she the type of cruiser that can back up DDs in caps? I've grown to dislike the French cruisers because they only seem useful from max range or kiting away. Hipper's 6km hydro seems like it should be useful. What's worked out for you guys?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,917 posts

Hipper is tough as nails, especially if you angle well, and against the sort of opponents who always aim waterline, she'll bow-tank almost like a battleship.  The guns are accurate, the AA (for now) is good, and the secondaries are good for a cruiser.   With the rudder mod she maneuvers very well. 

In short, IMO, you can expect awesome.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
517 posts
3,234 battles

I actually like mine, tbh (and have kind of a comical win rate in it somehow).

You're gonna see tons of Xs, so it really depends on MM. When bottom tier, don't get aggressive, of course -- be where you can use it's good range without being the juiciest target. Top tier you can certainly help your DDs a tad more, but still want to use your range when you can -- shell arcs are decent. You can brawl other same or lower tier cruisers a bit if you angle, but I haven't had much success with that. I could just be bad at it, though, so your mileage may vary. :-)

It is surprisingly maneuverable with just a speed flag, and that hydro is great for both rushing DDs and screening for your BBs (especially bottom tier when you know a red DD is lurking--usually a Shima flanking :Smile_trollface: )

Built in IFHE lets you get good raw HE damage on BBs, and the AP is OUTSTANDING on broadside cruisers -- I blapped a Kutozov for 28k in one salvo, then finished him with the next. (If chat was any indication, he was...displeased.)  It is even good on broadside BBs who are damage saturated, so keep that in mind. Expert Loader is really great for your captain for this reason.

Again, I have found it enjoyable and hope the Roon is similar. (And lemme know if ya wanna div up -- I can run my Benson. :Smile_honoring:)

Edited by MajorEnglush
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
13,592 posts
8,775 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Hipper is tough as nails, especially if you angle well, and against the sort of opponents who always aim waterline, she'll bow-tank almost like a battleship.  The guns are accurate, the AA (for now) is good, and the secondaries are good for a cruiser.   With the rudder mod she maneuvers very well. 

In short, IMO, you can exact awesome.

This is good news, because I'm currently grinding the Yorck with the intent of making Hipper the pinnacle of my German cruiser grind. I wouldn't want to make an effort going for her if she were going to suck.

(T9 and T10 tech tree is expensive, even with permacamo, and I'm trying not to have too many of those in my port. I'm sure Hindenburg is great but Salem is much more affordable to run when you're low on credits, and not getting Roon or Hindy is ~50-60 million credits I won't have to spend.)

[-K-]
Members
6,922 posts
11,466 battles
10 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

You're gonna see tons of Xs, so it really depends on MM. When bottom tier, don't get aggressive, of course -- be where you can use it's good range without being the juiciest target. Top tier you can certainly help your DDs a tad more, but still want to use your range when you can -- shell arcs are decent. You can brawl other same or lower tier cruisers a bit if you angle, but I haven't had much success with that. I could just be bad at it, though, so your mileage may vary. :-)

It is surprisingly maneuverable with just a speed flag, and that hydro is great for both rushing DDs and screening for your BBs (especially bottom tier when you know a red DD is lurking--usually a Shima flanking :Smile_trollface: )

Built in IFHE lets you get good raw HE damage on BBs, and the AP is OUTSTANDING on broadside cruisers -- I blapped a Kutozov for 28k in one salvo, then finished him with the next. (If chat was any indication, he was...displeased.)  It is even good on broadside BBs who are damage saturated, so keep that in mind. Expert Loader is really great for your captain for this reason.

Again, I have found it enjoyable and hope the Roon is similar. (And lemme know if ya wanna div up -- I can run my Benson. :Smile_honoring:)

Some good points here.  Admiral Hipper is a different animal than Yorck, so be aware.  You get fewer guns but with better ballistics, better hydro, and pretty good durability (for a cruiser).  She's basically a good mid-range support cruiser, and really gets you ready for what to expect with Roon and Hindenburg.  Decent HE alpha (with the built-in German 1/4 HE pen rule) and devastating AP when used right.

A lot of people struggle with Admiral Hipper at the outset because they are used to the faster reload of lower tier ships and other light cruisers.  Hipper, being a heavy cruiser, is more methodical and requires better planning and strategy.  But once you get used to her, she is a very capable ship.  The line only gets better from here on up.

[-K-]
Members
1,149 posts
8,146 battles
7 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Some good points here.  Admiral Hipper is a different animal than Yorck, so be aware.  You get fewer guns but with better ballistics, better hydro, and pretty good durability (for a cruiser).  She's basically a good mid-range support cruiser, and really gets you ready for what to expect with Roon and Hindenburg.  Decent HE alpha (with the built-in German 1/4 HE pen rule) and devastating AP when used right.

A lot of people struggle with Admiral Hipper at the outset because they are used to the faster reload of lower tier ships and other light cruisers.  Hipper, being a heavy cruiser, is more methodical and requires better planning and strategy.  But once you get used to her, she is a very capable ship.  The line only gets better from here on up.

?  I'm not one to disagree with my K brethren often, but Yorck and Hipper have the same number of guns :cap_look:

The rest of your comments I agree with

Edited by RightYouAreKen

[-K-]
Members
6,922 posts
11,466 battles
1 minute ago, RightYouAreKen said:

?  I'm not one to disagree with my K brethren often, but Yorck and Hipper have the same number of guns :cap_look:

The rest of your comments I agree with

Oops.  You're right.  For some reason, my half-asleep brain was thinking Yorck had 9 guns.  Thanks for catching that.

Time for some more caffeine to get the gears moving this morning.... :cap_tea:

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,368 posts
1,469 battles
31 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

I'll be on tonight. You can teach me how to Hipper.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
39 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is good news, because I'm currently grinding the Yorck with the intent of making Hipper the pinnacle of my German cruiser grind. I wouldn't want to make an effort going for her if she were going to suck.

(T9 and T10 tech tree is expensive, even with permacamo, and I'm trying not to have too many of those in my port. I'm sure Hindenburg is great but Salem is much more affordable to run when you're low on credits, and not getting Roon or Hindy is ~50-60 million credits I won't have to spend.)

Yeah the Roon is horrible. Bad even by Tier 9 standards. If you ever get to the point you can free XP Hindy, definitely do it. She is an absolute hoot to play!!!!!!

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
969 posts
7,291 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Is she the type of cruiser that can back up DDs in caps? …. Hipper's 6km hydro seems like it should be useful.

Your guns are accurate and deadly within 6kn. against a DD the hydro will give you enough time to dodge torps and your guns will paddle the DD good for trying. also, you can hit dds from distance so take the shot. 

I really liked the Hipper because I learned to play the game in the sister ship - Prinz Eugene. So the Hipper felt like home. 

Tips for hipper, 

Always keep an island between you and any BB 7km or more away. 
Fire breathing island humpers like the Wooster will end you if left unattended because they can shoot you and you cant shoot them back. 
your guns fire too straight to hug islands, so back up and learn detectability mechanics to use islands to break enemy line of sight. Islands are not your friend
Follow a dd for spotting, so choose the ones with the best detectability when the match starts.
TORPS are last resort weapon. do not force yourself to use them or you will get sent to port frustrated. instead always look for great gun firing angles, and torp when the enemy makes the mistake. 

Edited by skillztowin

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
969 posts
7,291 battles
Just now, MG1962 said:

Yeah the Roon is horrible.

the Roon is a beast. on Par with Hipper. and since they have the same T10 MM, id rather be in the Roon. 

[PHASE]
Members
4,951 posts
16,654 battles
2 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Yeah the Roon is horrible. Bad even by Tier 9 standards. If you ever get to the point you can free XP Hindy, definitely do it. She is an absolute hoot to play!!!!!!

no. the Roon is a gas, it just needs to be used differently. Get kinda close turn around and slowly kite away using your back guns. It's a very effective ship, and unique.

[ARGSY]
Members
13,592 posts
8,775 battles
6 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

the Hippers ability to HUNT down DDs.  the one forward facing turret

I thought Hipper was an eight-gun ABXY ship; do you mean the Roon here?

[TDRB]
Members
3,092 posts
9,355 battles

I purchased her last night and used free xp to skip stock modules (because [edited] that). Is she the type of cruiser that can back up DDs in caps? I've grown to dislike the French cruisers because they only seem useful from max range or kiting away. Hipper's 6km hydro seems like it should be useful. What's worked out for you guys?

I got my Hipper last week and I love him, German ships are referred to as males. I've already caught a couple of higher tiered BB's with their main guns pointed the other way & sunk them with torpedoes. Yes, you can support DD's capping. But as with all cruisers you need to be careful around BB's, angle as best you can.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
969 posts
7,291 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You sir, are correct. good catch. 

[-1]
Members
371 posts
6,411 battles

Hipper is a fine ship but it's primary defense is armor and given that you constantly fight against tier X ships the life is tough. My overall feeling of the grind was that I was always trying to do chip damage and distract big red ships as much as possible; always kiting--always baiting.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,917 posts
13 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

I was mildly disappointed in the Hippers ability to HUNT down DDs.  the one forward facing turret and slower reload makes it hard to finish a chased dd. however, your guns are accurate and deadly within 6kn. so if a dd happens to appear at your broadside, the hydro will give you enough time to dodge torps and your guns will paddle the DD good for trying. also, you can hit dds from distance so take the shot. 

I really liked the Hipper because I learned to play the game in the sister ship - Prinz Eugene. So the Hipper felt like home. 

Tips for hipper, 

Always keep an island between you and any BB 7km or more away. 
Fire breathing island humpers like the Wooster will end you if left unattended because they can shoot you and you cant shoot them back. 
your guns fire too straight to hug islands, so back up and learn detectability mechanics to use islands to break enemy line of sight. 
Follow a dd for spotting, so choose the ones with the best detectability when the match starts.
TORPS are last resort weapon. do not force yourself to use them or you will get sent to port frustrated. instead always look for great gun firing angles, and torp when the enemy makes the mistake. 

Hipper only has one forward-facing turret?  That's news to me.  Are you confusing it with Kberg, Nberg and/or Roon?

On the torps, if you catch an enemy BB without its own torps on its own and unprepared, you can do the same trick as the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst -- use that crazy bow armor to spring the gap, and serve up a fish buffet.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
969 posts
7,291 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Hipper only has one forward-facing turret?  That's news to me.  Are you confusing it with Kberg, Nberg and/or Roon?

12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

6 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

You sir, are correct. good catch. 

Edited by skillztowin

[TDRB]
Members
3,092 posts
9,355 battles
53 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

With the changes to the shells last August the Yorck became a easier grind. IMO. I do like the Hipper better than the Yorck.

[ARGSY]
Members
13,592 posts
8,775 battles
1 minute ago, kgh52 said:

With the changes to the shells last August the Yorck became a easier grind.

She's enjoyable enough for me that I decided I wanted to keep her after only a few battles. Seems she's sort of a proto-Hipper, but from what I have heard, not as well armoured.

Members
2,083 posts
12,595 battles

I got my Hipper last week. To me it's a big disappointment compared to the previous two tiers. It's in the worst tier (8) and faces tier 10 most of the time. It's low range, minimal guns and t8 HP make it rather hard to play or grind when you are not top tier. I'm aiming for Roon and Hindy as I have read that they are very good. 

• Cool 1