Sign in to follow this  
Eisennagel

Best Anime of 2018?

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
9,510 posts

No doubt a banner year.  If you thought 2017 is good, 2018 is better  In fact, I think 2018 is probably one of the best years ever for anime.  The effect of global licensing and streaming has profoundly shown with increased budgets, better animation, art, and writing in many anime than what a budget based from a Japanese TV network could afford.   Many of the year's artistically best anime are cornered by Amazon and Netflix.

This year, we have seen anime of the following categories rise up:

Isekai --- Reincarnated as a Slime, Overlord,  Swords Arts Alicization, Gun Gale Online

Shounen --- Latest seasons of My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Retro --- Megalobox, SSSS: Gridman, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Mecha --- Dancing in the Franxx

Fantasy --- Goblin Slayer, Ancient Magus Wife

Scifi ---  Steins Gate: 0.

Furthermore I am going to go on and say:

Dragon Pilot, Bloom Unto You, Rascal does not dream of bunny girl sempai, Karakuri Circus, Cells at Work, Hanebado, Harukana Receive, Grand Blue Dreaming, Banana Fish, Hakata Tonkatsu, Zombieland Saga, and Double Decker.  

Then I think you come to the anime that makes you really feel something.

This anime is just magic for the emotion.  

Another beautiful anime full of magical, feely stuff.  If Netflix had Violet, Amazon had the Irodoku, the World in Colors.

Then you have all these cute anime about girls and friends on outdoor activities like diving, hiking and camping.  

Camping

Diving.

Hiking.

Nothing beats these kind of anime for de-stressing.

Or just girls striving to be mangaka and finding more friendships.

Girls acting cute going to Antarctica with the power of friendship.  This is an extension of the girls and friends on outdoor activities theme taken to the extreme.

So much of anime has some kind of idealized notion of cute girls and so on.    But no matter how well they are made, they cannot get out of this straight jacket of required moe-ness.

This is when I find it refreshing when anime don't try to be as cute but instead focus on the character onto themselves without falling into some kind of anime stereotype or trope, like Saber like clone, girl that looks like a model, pink hair air head, emotionless flat talking girl, girl with bunny or cat ears.  

But when anime becomes different, you get my attention.

This anime I have to give a shout out.  Its nostalgia, but better yet, I like a show where kids act like kids.

The simplicity of this anime, and the way Takagi and Nishikata interacts, are just priceless.  Teasing is some kind of flirting to test the thickhead.

The anime that takes the cake for me this year topping everything is this.

Why?  

I think this is one of very few shows that capture what teenagers are really like.  Extremely sensitive and obsessed about their looks, their social position, what other students and teachers think about them, bored, looking for ways to entertain themselves and constantly experimenting the boundaries they can go.   Instead of friends, many view their classmates as a$$holes instead and same to you.  

An anime that makes me laugh out hysterically loud is rare, like once in some years rare.  Can't remember I laughed out like this since Nichijou and when was that anime?    Asobi does not recognize boundaries and does not hold back.  Some people don't like that but I do, as an anime holding back distracts from its pure spirit.  

Its also the first anime that says "a$$hole" so perfectly.

Another close favorite of mine this year.   So much adventure can be found in that road between home and school.  What happens when geek girls go berserk in the neighborhood.  This is my third for the year.

With second going to this show.  Why?  Not only does it show the relationships of a makeshift family (like Kobayashi's Dragon Maid meets Mob Psycho 100), the thing about Japan's homeless people struck me like a brick.

• Cool 7

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,144 posts

I was only able to keep up with a scant few anime this year, but HOLY HELL did this year in anime come crashing through the wall like Miley Cyrus atop a piece of demolitions equipment! Several classics returned, including Fruits Basket, Full Metal Panic, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and, my true first anime, Cardcaptor Sakura (Pokemon doesn't count as that was more of a complete carpet-bombing of western culture when it landed in the mid 90s). My only disappointment was that we didn't get a return of Dirty Pair.

Our ol' chum Garnt made a great review video

7 minutes ago, Admiral_Cirno said:

SHADDAP, ICE LOLI! GO BACK TO YOUR BULLETHELL!     :3

Alpha Tester
10,265 posts
4,602 battles
3 hours ago, Eisennagel said:

*snip*

No.

You can't mention 'best 2018 anime' with bastardized rehashing of Sword Art Online, the third season of Overlord(still haven't gotten nearly a quarter through the first), or the jumping of the shark with Titan within its first season alone.

(although Megalobox, Darling in the Franxx and my personal fave for drama being Magus' Bride)

Zero mention or love for Black Clover? That *was* in 2018 wasn't it? Or was I behind the curve on crunchyroll? THAT is my 2018 winner.

[TOG]
Members
3,179 posts
16,699 battles
5 hours ago, Admiral_Cirno said:

What on earth would make you think that WoWs fans are into anime?

We're all too grown up for that!

It's an acquired taste. If we're grown up, we wouldn't be playing arcade games eh?

I still have to look at the last 2 episodes of Goblin slayer. Violet Evergarden for the feels!

[SOUP]
8,144 posts
7 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

>no mention of Pop Team Epic

That show speaks to me on a very deep level

Beta Testers
9,510 posts
16 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

No.

You can't mention 'best 2018 anime' with bastardized rehashing of Sword Art Online, the third season of Overlord(still haven't gotten nearly a quarter through the first), or the jumping of the shark with Titan within its first season alone.

(although Megalobox, Darling in the Franxx and my personal fave for drama being Magus' Bride)

Zero mention or love for Black Clover? That *was* in 2018 wasn't it? Or was I behind the curve on crunchyroll? THAT is my 2018 winner.

Black Clover is a show I religiously follow, but its straight up popcorn shounen.  Personally I follow it more than Boruto and the new season of Fairy Tail.  

Swords Art Online Alicization is surprisingly a lot deeper than previous SAO episodes, and it made a major point about sexual harassment.  That's a big thing since sexual harassment seems too common on anime (see The Seven Deadly Sins.)  By the way, the second season of The Seven Deadly Sins is awesome too.  But shounen is shounen.

Alpha Tester
10,265 posts
4,602 battles
7 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

Black Clover is a show I religiously follow, but its straight up popcorn shounen.  Personally I follow it more than Boruto and the new season of Fairy Tail.  

Swords Art Online Alicization is surprisingly a lot deeper than previous SAO episodes, and it made a major point about sexual harassment.  That's a big thing since sexual harassment seems too common on anime (see The Seven Deadly Sins.)  By the way, the second season of The Seven Deadly Sins is awesome too.  But shounen is shounen.

Does the new SAO have guns and lightsabers again?

Beta Testers
9,510 posts
1 minute ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

No guns, no light sabers other than fantasy magic swords.  This time, in this virtual universe, scientists have managed to create a self sustaining virtual civilization with AIs that are autonomous and think for themselves. 

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,136 posts
3,686 battles

The GGO alternative was probably one of the better ones this year.  It had good character development so you could actually get into them.  The backstories were well done.  Another difference I liked was the characters all had some serious personal flaws and hang ups rather than being the usually all-too-perfect ones. 

That was the good part of GGO too.  There was more tension in the story to draw you in.

Overall, GGO and GGO alternative were some of the better recent anime.  Whereas the latest SAO series really kind of lies there wallowing in its past glory.

Edited by Murotsu
  • Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator
11 posts
208 battles
On 1/3/2019 at 3:40 PM, Chobittsu said:

That show speaks to me on a very deep level

Just getting to this forum now. I actually got to interview the producer of Pop Team Epic at Anime Expo last year which was pretty dope :) 

*Crossing fingers for a season 2 of this insanity* 

[SOUP]
8,144 posts
6 hours ago, KARMAT1KA said:

Just getting to this forum now. I actually got to interview the producer of Pop Team Epic at Anime Expo last year which was pretty dope :) 

*Crossing fingers for a season 2 of this insanity* 

I'd love to hear more tales from your previous employment   :D

[WGA]
Administrator
11 posts
208 battles
51 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I'd love to hear more tales from your previous employment   :D

Nothing too special really to report.. except that I got to play the voice of a couple of cat meows and a little boy in the dubbed version of Made in Abyss. 

I've been wondering if I actually sound like a little boy ever since LOL 

[SOUP]
8,144 posts
2 minutes ago, KARMAT1KA said:

Nothing too special really to report.. except that I got to play the voice of a couple of cat meows and a little boy in the dubbed version of Made in Abyss. 

I've been wondering if I actually sound like a little boy ever since LOL 

It takes a special kind of voice to mimic a child, have you considered doing more frequent voice work?

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,136 posts
3,686 battles

Another one that's a bit formulamatic is How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (that's the dubbed version).  It's an Isekai that doesn't take itself too seriously. That's what makes it fun.  There's the usual gratuitous ecchi and the main character is a dweeb that succeeds even as we get to hear him panic over his own personal insecurities and inability to deal with girls.

How_NOT_to_Summon_a_Demon_Lord,_volume_1

110801d9-7875-47cf-8a38-9938a68e9893.jpg

Overall, it's not a bad series for some good fun and a lot of Japanese humor about Otaku and Hikiomori.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles
On 1/3/2019 at 9:47 PM, J30_Reinhardt said:

Just swords, but also the use of magical elements by the players. Enjoying it so far personally.

Members
1,596 posts
47 battles

I have to say, SSSS.Gridman is also one of the best anime of 2018.

It's a "reboot" of the original Gridman Tokusatsu (live action show, akin to Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and Ultraman, but more on the latter as the makers of Ultraman made Gridman). It also got adopted in the US as Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (which might be familiar to some of you). The best part is that this anime makes so many references and homages to both the original Japanese show and the American adaptation.

horriblesubs-ssss-gridman-02-480p-mkv_sn

[WGA]
Administrator
11 posts
208 battles

Top 3 anime I watched in 2018 (may have been released earlier) 

1. Made in Abyss

2. Devil Man Crybaby 

3. Magical Girl Site (literally NO ONE knows about this anime because it's on Amazon, but it's so damn evil and good!) 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,580 posts
7,927 battles

well, its not 2018, but the best anime ive seen so far this year is My Hero Academia

and this intro, oh boy this intro is probably one of the best ive ever seen 

Edited by tcbaker777

[SPTR]
Members
26,448 posts
11,831 battles

thank you for your ideas I can watch next /^.\\

[MIA]
Supertester, Supertester
6,437 posts
7,765 battles

Houseki no Kuni from 2017 still one of my all time favorites