You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Just cannot get gud scores in the Benson...

12 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
597 posts
2,121 battles

My poor Benson is uptiered 90% of the time to tier 9 and 10 games where every second ship seems to have radar.. I know you can only counter is by staying away from them or advancing to make them trigger it then quickly retreating, these tactics sometimes work but only in assisting your teammates. I know its a team game and everyone should be focused on the objective and winning the match but the last few games where I have done my best to be a team helper I've ended up rock bottom on the score list. My last game I spotted 6 ships, dozens of torps, helped about 50k work of damage from my teammates onto the spotted ships yet I still finished dead last in a the winning team with a score of 500.

The last few games I've only scored a few k worth of damage as I just cannot get close enough to ships to effectively. Another game yesterday I used it as a guboat and managed about 150 hits on various targets for a grand total of 20k damage.. Most games, even if we win I just feel frustrated... Advance, get lit by radar (or planes) fire shells start reigning down, retreat, try again, repeat.

Yet I can go out in my Minekaze or Hatasura (spelling?) and sink 1-3 ships, cap a few points and usually score a decent bag of points and even if my team is annihilated I still have a fun game most of the time.

• Cool 1

Members
50 posts
1,832 battles

Can’t relate, sorry! I just have so much fun in the Benson... minuscule detection range, fast punchy guns with great traverse speed. Only part I don’t like is the length of the torpedo reload, which can be mitigated partially. I love mine to death. I get average scores, but have fun doing it.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
70 posts
5,671 battles

Life in T8 pal......  Give the Benson time.  Your 1st game sounded good.   You are sometimes more of a role player than a superstar in some T8-10 games. It is fast and stealthy.  I am driving the Fletcher and I miss the Benson's wheels.  With Boost and speed flag you can break 40Kts.  Get IFHE for captain's skills. It will help with damage.   Like he said about torp reload!  But you can finally stealth torp people it is fun.   Don't rush to cap in high tier, unless opposition is light.  Another good captain skill is Survivability Expert.  The extra HP is great for a DD 2750 for a T8 DD.  Almost a 15 %  increase.  I don't favor for other classes but it is great for DDs.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,527 posts
9,191 battles

It's life in a T8 DD, my friend. Spot and gun down other DD's, contest caps, it's what Benson is best at.

Members
1,057 posts
5,618 battles
12 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

My poor Benson is uptiered 90% of the time to tier 9 and 10 games where every second ship seems to have radar.. I know you can only counter is by staying away from them or advancing to make them trigger it then quickly retreating, these tactics sometimes work but only in assisting your teammates. I know its a team game and everyone should be focused on the objective and winning the match but the last few games where I have done my best to be a team helper I've ended up rock bottom on the score list. My last game I spotted 6 ships, dozens of torps, helped about 50k work of damage from my teammates onto the spotted ships yet I still finished dead last in a the winning team with a score of 500.

The last few games I've only scored a few k worth of damage as I just cannot get close enough to ships to effectively. Another game yesterday I used it as a guboat and managed about 150 hits on various targets for a grand total of 20k damage.. Most games, even if we win I just feel frustrated... Advance, get lit by radar (or planes) fire shells start reigning down, retreat, try again, repeat.

Yet I can go out in my Minekaze or Hatasura (spelling?) and sink 1-3 ships, cap a few points and usually score a decent bag of points and even if my team is annihilated I still have a fun game most of the time.

I love mahan. I love fletcher. I am not a benson fan. T8 dd tech tree happiness only exists in the lightning. Benson really sells the master of none in the jack of all trades role.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

I don't hate the Benson, but she is definitely lacking compared to the Fletcher. Her torps are just so bad. 

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,888 posts
5,527 battles

I did exceptionally well in the Mahan, not so much Benson.  Think it's the Water Mines..  I mean Torps.

[PT]
Members
597 posts
2,121 battles
54 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

I don't hate the Benson, but she is definitely lacking compared to the Fletcher. Her torps are just so bad. 

They really annoyed me yesterday, lined up a distracted Yamato at 5k, unleashed all my Torp's at him, he dodged all but one and it only did minimal damage... Then I had to escape hells fury as he decided I was a threat. 

Members
5,686 posts
6,492 battles
1 hour ago, Player_7629970598 said:

The extra HP is great for a DD 2750 for a T8 DD.

You're 50 HP short. T8s get 2800 HP from SE.

[SEOP]
Members
1,529 posts
8,233 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

Yeah -- I didn't grind my Benson when radar was as prevalent as it is now.  It would be interesting to see average player stats over say the last 5 or 6 month (or whenever it was when all the additional USN Radar Cruisers and such were added) vs. what they were say 2-years ago.   Perhaps also the average tier stats Benson is seeing now vs. say two years ago.  Is the Benson seeing -- on average -- more up tiered games now than it was 2-years ago?

And yeah -- you need to play as if you're about to get radared' whenever your pushing caps and such -- particularly early in the match.   

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[RLGN]
Members
11,490 posts
20,429 battles

To me Benson (and Sims,) are both like the T6 plus RN cruisers; ships nearly everyone else seems to like and do well in; but which I can’t seem to use worth spit, dislike with a passion as a result, and in the case of Benson, (and the RN cruisers,) was only too happy to be rid of.

The only time I’ve been happy with Sims was in the original release of UF, (where its speed meant it could race north and nuke that first Cleveland before it could even get on the map,) and in Dynamo round 2.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,541 posts
11,454 battles

Benson has been power crept hard over time. It's number of games played per week dropped in half post patch 6.3

Tips:

1. Stock fire control.

2. Use the guns as little as possible. Disengage and stay alive until you are sure you have the advantage.

3. When capping, turn around and be bow-out so you can make an immediate exit if needed. 

Benson seems to have become what the Mahan used to be.