You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal

I just put my cat to sleep

26 comments in this topic

Members
6,304 posts
6,694 battles

One of the worst experiences I have ever had. Celes was a lovely, cuddly, utterly sweet creature, who was so docile and gentle that you could put her on the nape of your neck and she would drape herself around you like a scarf and purr the whole time. I've never owned such a wonderful feline before, and doubt I ever will again. But this July she slowly began to get very, very ill, and we (and the vet) eventually came to the conclusion that it was cancer. We fought very hard for her, but in the end she stopped eating or drinking... and I wasn't going to see her wither entirely away like a cut flower. So, about 15 minutes ago, we put her to sleep.

It's very difficult to describe what it's like to be witness to something like that. The ego and super-ego are saying "this is right - you owe her peace; you owe her not to suffer; this is your responsibility as an owner and a friend." But, just as - or even more - loudly, the id is screaming bloody murder that you're supposed to save and protect something that you love; the root instinct is to shield, nurture, and defend... not to kill.

I feel horribly empty and hollow. I don't know if she's in a better place, or if I just spun her off into the endless void. All I know is that she's gone, and I was a party to it. 

Edited by Battlecruiser_Kongo
  • Cool 5

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,747 posts
16,273 battles

I have had. 10 cats put to sleep.

The last time was October, Rascal. He was 14.

It is never easy and the pain does fade. 

I have 3 cats still.

All I can say to help is love any pets you may still have. If you do not have one, get another. The love they give you will help console you.

And you can never replace them, but fill an empty hole in your life they can.

• Cool 1

[TDD]
Members
1,136 posts
9,150 battles

Hugs and sympathy for the loss of a loved one and don't feel guilty  you ended pain and suffering with an act of love not selfishly hanging on

• Cool 1

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

I had to do that about 2 years ago and the next day my wife came home with a new cat.  I find it amazing how well cats help mourn... even if its other cats.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,193 posts
9,171 battles

I have one regret, when my last cat died, of natural causes (kidney failure), I waited too long before calling the vet. OP, you did the right thing.

• Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
3,608 posts
5,131 battles

For some time it will hurt, it's just how it goes. And it is logical to feel guilty of it now. As rational as we may want to be things like love,  grief, hate, anger aren't always governed by it.  

In the end you saved a dear friend from more pain and a soul wrenching deterioration. Cling onto that.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,281 posts
6,018 battles

My schnauzer Sophie and I offer our heartfelt condolences to you.

[RLGN]
Members
11,490 posts
20,429 battles

So been there. KitKat was old, and his eyes went bad. He was blind, and they grew infected near the end.

Emotionally tearing, a feeling of betrayal when I took a friend of fifteen years to the vet, but finally relief to see them looking at peace just before burying them.

• Cool 1

[MLPVA]
Members
303 posts
3,773 battles

The last pet I had to let go of was my St. Bernard, Sissy. I had raised her from a little tiny ball of fluff to a big ol' woofer that was heavier than me. I bawled my eyes out when I had to let her go, held her as they did the deed. It hurt then, still hurts remembering six years later. You mave my condolences.

• Cool 1

[TWFT]
Members
1,108 posts
32,207 battles

BK, I am sorry for your loss!  I think I can speak for most of us and say that we all have been there.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,684 posts
4,371 battles

RAINBOW BRIDGE

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. 
It is called Rainbow Bridge because of its many splendid colors. 
Just this side of Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills, 
and valleys with lush, green grass. 
When beloved pets die, they go to this place. 
There is always food and water and warm spring weather. 
The old and frail animals are young again. 
Those who are maimed are made whole again. 
They play all day with each other. 
There is only one thing missing. 
They are not with their special person who loved 
them on earth. 
So each day they run and play. 
Until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! 

The nose twitches. 
The ears are up! 
The eyes are staring. 
And this one suddenly runs from the group. 
You have been seen! 
And when you and your special friend meet, 
you take him in your arms and embrace. 
Your face is kissed again and again and again, 
and you look once more more into the eyes of your trusting pet. 
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together... 
Never again to be separated.

- author unknown

• Cool 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,200 posts
4,677 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

One of the worst experiences I have ever had. Celes was a lovely, cuddly, utterly sweet creature, who was so docile and gentle that you could put her on the nape of your neck and she would drape herself around you like a scarf and purr the whole time. I've never owned such a wonderful feline before, and doubt I ever will again. But this July she slowly began to get very, very ill, and we (and the vet) eventually came to the conclusion that it was cancer. We fought very hard for her, but in the end she stopped eating or drinking... and I wasn't going to see her wither entirely away like a cut flower. So, about 15 minutes ago, we put her to sleep.

It's very difficult to describe what it's like to be witness to something like that. The ego and super-ego are saying "this is right - you owe her peace; you owe her not to suffer; this is your responsibility as an owner and a friend." But, just as - or even more - loudly, the id is screaming bloody murder that you're supposed to save and protect something that you love; the root instinct is to shield, nurture, and defend... not to kill.

I feel horribly empty and hollow. I don't know if she's in a better place, or if I just spun her off into the endless void. All I know is that she's gone, and I was a party to it. 

Very sorry for your loss. Hope she comes back too you in kitten form meowing at your doorstep and start the friendship over.

[-BUI-]
Members
111 posts
7,234 battles

I empathize with you. I just lost my cat of 17 years. Blind, limp and going deaf, she just kept on going until she didn't. It is hard and it seems like there's always some kind of guilt attached. Hang in there, baby!

Celes 2018, RIP

Cheech, 2001-2018. RIP

2018-12-27_025554 Cheech.png

Edited by MajorKey
spelling

[WOLF5]
Members
2,578 posts
3,053 battles

Never fun, but life is full of things we have to do we don't like. I've had to do it with our dog. But you would feel worse if you made them suffer instead of helping them out of it. It may sound hard, but you should definitely think about getting another cat. That way you have a pet to help you through the loss.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

All you can hope for in the time our pets are with us, is to give them a good life, show them love, and always welcome them as a member of the family.

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles

Sorry to hear this. He aint a cat but we're likely soon to have to put my brother's boston terrier down that we've been taking care of for the last decade or so... His ribs and hips are showing, completely blind, and going deaf. I am completely unprepared for the eventual saying goodbye. Meanwhile the skittish as hell cat is doing just fine.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,736 posts
12,161 battles

This is always a gut wrenching situation but you made the right choice.

[PVE]
Members
1,702 posts
7,512 battles

OP...my heart breaks for you.  Personally, I have two cats and two dogs and each one is a member and part of my family, my dogs each have their own medical issues, so as you can imagine I am at the Vets office more than I want to be and more times than I can remember I have been there when someone is having a member of their family put to sleep, not only is a heart wrenching experience for those that are having it done, it is heart wrenching and breaking for those of us that are witness to their pain.

Hang in there, the pain will fade in time, the memories will remain and hopefully you can over ride the bad memory of this experience with all of the good memories that you had with your feline family member.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
976 posts
14,586 battles
3 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

A feeling I understand well, brother. Whether in a better place or just gone, you have prevented her needlessly suffering. We must all make that final walk from this world but the gift of making it peaceful, sleepy and surrounded by love... that is a gift beyond measure whatever comes beyond it. The emptiness and hollowness are a part of losing anyone we love. You were party to a long life filled with warmth and joy, and now shoulder the burden of having, as a consequence of your love for her, ensured that her final moments were the best possible despite the loss you knew you were certain to feel. For that, I salute you.

May time diminish the grief of loss, leaving you with only the countless wonderful memories and the knowledge that, when her time came, you had the courage to do what was best for her.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

Members
3,111 posts
6,189 battles

It's a very difficult time when things like this happen.... It will take some time to recover.....It's a emotional rollercoaster of sorts...but your little Celes will always remember that you took care of her and remember you forever.  RIP.

[ONE]
Members
305 posts
15,235 battles

Always difficult, for many of us it the same as losing a family member.  Seven years ago I had to put my cat to sleep, he was the last living link back to my late wife and the pain of that was like reliving her death all over again.

OP, take heart in knowing you did what was best for her.  Never an easy choice but it was the right choice.  I am sorry for your loss.

Edited by 6thGuards